Update 304 now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited July 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 304 now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

With the summer sale now in full swing, we decided to take a lighter approach to the update this week. Minor tweaks and improvements over last week’s patch should address...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    bump and thank you Asraniel!
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    System wrote: »
    we are adjusting our patch cycle to be bi-weekly

Does this mean twice a week, or every two weeks?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Keats wrote: »

Every 2 weeks.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Why was the British voice over removed? Is Obraxis demanding royalties?
  • nanonoobnanonoob Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211315Members
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2016
    Aeglos wrote: »

When Beige's VOs were originally added to the old tutorial, we saw a drop in completion rates. The alternate VOs were added with the theory that Beige's Texan accent might be harder for people to understand. We thought that a British accent might be easier to understand and result in higher completion rates, but the data showed no real statistical difference; so we've removed the alternate VOs for consistency-sake. Now players will hear the same voice in the intro video as in the tutorial.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    1. What does "Exo Miniguns do not overheat each other" mean? Does this mean firing both at the same time and firing them alternately has the same rate of heat buildup?
    2. lol @ weldable doors
    3. I appreciate the new biweekly update cycle
    4. Good luck with everything Asraniel!
    5. Wait, so you weren't actually kidding when you said you were doing a blind test about the VO? o.O

Mind blown :D
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    remi wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »

When Beige's VOs were originally added to the old tutorial, we saw a drop in completion rates. The alternate VOs were added with the theory that Beige's Texan accent might be harder for people to understand. We thought that a British accent might be easier to understand and result in higher completion rates, but the data showed no real statistical difference; so we've removed the alternate VOs for consistency-sake. Now players will hear the same voice in the intro video as in the tutorial.

Ah, okay. I preferred the British accent, but I guess it doesn't matter. Its just the tutorial.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was part of the group who had Obraxis' voiceover and thought he did a pretty swell job, his voice is very fitting for the 'secret' parts of the tutorial. Though having said that, I believe having a consistent intro/tutorial voice is better choice in the long run.

Now bring on the official voicepacks. :tongue:
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Keats wrote: »

Every 2 weeks.

You know this word has bothered me to no end as long as I can remember. People use it in business all of the time and I can't understand why. You would think a word that describes a set period of time would be, you know, understandable.

bi·week·ly
    /bīˈwēklē/
    adjective & adverb
    adjective: bi-weekly
    1. appearing or taking place every two weeks or twice a week.

• TriggerHappyBroTriggerHappyBro Ohio Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217383Members, NS2 Playtester
    What does "Exo Miniguns do not overheat each other" mean? Does this mean firing both at the same time and firing them alternately has the same rate of heat buildup?

Previously, firing just one minigun made it heat up at X rate and firing both made them heat up at Y rate where Y > X.
    Now, firing both guns will make them heat up at X rate, same as just one. (This is a buff)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am really happy about the biweekly update schedule. Every week was in my opinion a little too fast.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What does "Exo Miniguns do not overheat each other" mean? Does this mean firing both at the same time and firing them alternately has the same rate of heat buildup?

Previously, firing just one minigun made it heat up at X rate and firing both made them heat up at Y rate where Y > X.
    Now, firing both guns will make them heat up at X rate, same as just one. (This is a buff)

I see. Seems like a very strong buff to me.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Tutxit? ^^ can we remove the damn HP bars allready? ..

We may not like it, but the devs have said no.
    The ways that health bars have impacted the game has been positive and we aren't going to be removing them. The fact is that NS2 is a ridiculously inaccessible game, and that some of the simple things like tracking players, understanding how much damage you do, how your abilities actually work, and how much health enemies are important for new players (and even old players) to understand and learn the finer points of the game.

Showing enemy health definitely does not suddenly turn NS2 into a casual shooter. If you think it does, you are making some gross oversimplifications to everything else in the NS2 meta.

I do understand the complaints you all have, have read them all, and understand how this feature does change the game. I have been, and will continue to tweak the game to account for the experiences you are feeling are now missing. As an example, the redesign of the Onos bone shield came directly out of the discussions you all had about not being able to bait anymore due to players being able to see your health. It is a way to reintroduce some baiting without having the bait rely on imperfect / partially-hidden information.

There is even a whole thread on this subject.

Edit: why am I getting disagrees. I'm not the one saying no. I am not a fan of healthbars. I could live happily with out health bars.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I dont know if somethings wrong with my PC or is it this patch... my frames tend to be under 100...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    but the data showed no real statistical difference;

Cute.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Obrexit.

I'm missing a reference here.
    coolitic wrote: »
    Obrexit.

I'm missing a reference here.

Obraxis is British. Read this link to understand the reference.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    Tutxit? ^^ can we remove the damn HP bars allready? ..

We may not like it, but the devs have said no.
    The ways that health bars have impacted the game has been positive and we aren't going to be removing them. The fact is that NS2 is a ridiculously inaccessible game, and that some of the simple things like tracking players, understanding how much damage you do, how your abilities actually work, and how much health enemies are important for new players (and even old players) to understand and learn the finer points of the game.

Showing enemy health definitely does not suddenly turn NS2 into a casual shooter. If you think it does, you are making some gross oversimplifications to everything else in the NS2 meta.

I do understand the complaints you all have, have read them all, and understand how this feature does change the game. I have been, and will continue to tweak the game to account for the experiences you are feeling are now missing. As an example, the redesign of the Onos bone shield came directly out of the discussions you all had about not being able to bait anymore due to players being able to see your health. It is a way to reintroduce some baiting without having the bait rely on imperfect / partially-hidden information.

There is even a whole thread on this subject.

It is funny when you read this and then realize that the announced onos bone shield change made the game worse again. So the next "fix" for something that shouldn't have changed will be something making the game worse too? Can't wait.
  • ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    I find this change in minigun heat unnecessary. It was quite reasonable to penalty simultanious shooting from both guns.
    But, all in all, nice liitle patch.

Could railgun exos also get some love?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    can somebody check the jetpack fule consumption when carrying (only) a gasgrenade? had the feeling it was extremely high.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    *Fixed arcade achievement not being given on ns2large servers

But first blamming us we would have change some settings so it wouldn't work.... Sad move.

Did some Dev ever tested what they have implemented? I doubt. Else they would have to play "Arcade" for an hour.... lol.

• woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    PuphBall wrote: »

Would pay to see this one. We're getting a lot of good changes, but just as many bad ones. The quality of game-play has been going down IMO.

Here is an answer from Charlie Cleveland:

"There is a constant back-and-forth between serving our current community and looking beyond that to growing it. We've learned the hard way that if we only do what our community asks for, the game stagnates and shrinks - so we must try to "zoom out" and see NS2 in a longer-term view."

They don't care about the NS2 community at all.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    wooza wrote: »
    They don't care about the NS2 community at all.

How did you extrapolate that notion from that response??
    It sounds like he very much does care, by attempting to grow our community..