What should be done about the health bar?

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    Essentially, I think the current implementation is worse than terrible

It's worrible ?
    0bso8d87t4rn.gif

Used to be my favourite brand before I gave up <3
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    The idea that marines benefit more from healthbars is arguably wrong.
    Aliens can know exactly when a marine receive a medpack for example.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Wake wrote: »
    If only the skins could show wear an damage !
    I'd buy that in a split second.

We'd get the info and enhance the immersion without providing any kind of hack.

That has gone through the brainstorm sessions, only to get slammed into the memory consumption wall of doom. And I guess back in the day, it would cause major FPS hickups and even nowadays, I guess...

But yeah, cool idea :open_mouth:
  • fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    i can't remember if it was ns1 or ns2(early) but fade starts making a very noticeable cry from a shotgun shot when it does meat damage or is shot to low hp.
    It didn't last long to remember which version it was.

It sounded like a gorge in heat
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    In ns1 you literally heard the meat bouncing out of the fade :)
    edited June 2016
    NoM wrote: »
    I used to lose aliens in the darkness. Now the health bar overlay allows me to track my target
    True, but I think this isn't really a problem with the healthbars themselves but more with the implementation.

When first introduced, healthbars used to vanish instantly when the crosshair didn't meet exactly the model like nameplates,
    so a minimum duration was added, but it lasts too long currently and creates the issues of being able to track when you shouldn't be able to.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Remove it, it's trash. Did you guys meet your targets yet and have your contracts renewed? c'mon...
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    xen32 wrote: »
    I was hiding behind a wall near marine spawn (shipping on Tram, in tunnels), where nobody ever looks at when exiting, obviously not in range of obs, dude spawned and walked out of base already aimed at me and killed me right away. I, of course, screamed "OMG HAXXX!!!11", but he explained that he saw my healthbar when spawning.
    This sucks.
    So this happened again, I was camping in cargo hive (they had 1 hive, shift, so no aura) as a marine, in a vent and some skulk just spawned and went right to me. I was like 'WTF?' and he said he saw my healthbar through wall when he was spawning.
    to be fair to the recent health bar implementation, this "feature"/bug has been there for quite awhile. Even before the health bar was implemented you can see the health of enemies when you are spawning.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    fleas wrote: »
    to be fair to the recent health bar implementation, this "feature"/bug has been there for quite awhile. Even before the health bar was implemented you can see the health of enemies when you are spawning.

What?
    on marines, if u are spawning on the IP, you can see enemies' health bar when they are near the IP.

Im sure you have experienced this before
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was hiding behind a wall near marine spawn (shipping on Tram, in tunnels), where nobody ever looks at when exiting, obviously not in range of obs, dude spawned and walked out of base already aimed at me and killed me right away. I, of course, screamed "OMG HAXXX!!!11", but he explained that he saw my healthbar when spawning.
    This sucks.
    So this happened again, I was camping in cargo hive (they had 1 hive, shift, so no aura) as a marine, in a vent and some skulk just spawned and went right to me. I was like 'WTF?' and he said he saw my healthbar through wall when he was spawning.

I did all I could think of to try and reproduce that bug. I never was able to. Could you provide any information you can on that? Do you know when you last saw that specific marine? Did he kill you recently? Did you kill him? Anything
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    This sucks.

I did all I could think of to try and reproduce that bug. I never was able to. Could you provide any information you can on that? Do you know when you last saw that specific marine? Did he kill you recently? Did you kill him? Anything

Well, I was the victim in both occasions, so can't tell much. As fleas mentioned, you was always able to see enemy HP bars during spawn if they were in clear view, and I experienced it a lot of times. Hiding in/near enemy base is almost my profession now, but this 'through wall HP bar' didn't happen before.

But this might help (or not): As far as I remember, I was damaged in both occasions, possibly by the player spawning, maybe I was the one that killed them.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    on marines, if u are spawning on the IP, you can see enemies' health bar when they are near the IP.

Im sure you have experienced this before

This is a known bug with NS2+...

That being said, I'm not sure if it should be fixed or integrated as a feature. It gives you extra info while spawning in which can help with planning. Base rushes and spawn camping is one of the points in NS2 that can be frustrating / not fun, so having a bit of extra information there actually helps that situation. It also makes it so while you're spawning in you feel more involved with what is going on (as your teammates are shooting).
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    remi wrote: »
    Base rushes and spawn camping is one of the points in NS2 that can be frustrating / not fun

Baserushes are one of the key elements which make NS2 fun, no matter the outcome of the rush.
    And spawncamping is not a problem in NS2, imo.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    12%+18%= 30% vs. 59% Why is it still in the game 3 updates down the line? Are you INSANE?!
    @remi
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited June 2016
    poll is pointless they aint changing it, despite clearly showing what the ppl want.

Because @remi seems to think that the best way to help rookies is to let the game take care of everything and to spoon-feed them everything, because you know, we shouldn't let rookies expand that pesky thing called "skill", its too dangerous and unpredictable.

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    coolitic wrote: »
    poll is pointless they aint changing it, despite clearly showing what the ppl want.

Because @remi seems to think that the best way to help rookies is to let the game take care of everything and to spoon-feed them everything, because you know, we shouldn't let rookies expand that pesky thing called "skill", its too dangerous and unpredictable.

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    Yeah.. because skill is knowing what are the total HP of different units in the game (the only info that HP bars gives over damage number)
    It's not like they added an option to disable it or anything...

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I would like to change my vote to Keep it, but tweak it so they stick to Nigel Farage the lier !
    edited June 2016
    As for healthbars Tweaks I think, first, they would be better off placed above the nameplate instead of below so it doesnt overlap the model,
    also, there should be some kind of segmentation (like in spectator mode) to gauge more precisely in the heat of the action
    something similar to this @remi

https://dropbox.com/s/s5dr1pqy0n78t7k/unitstatus_neutral.dds?dl=0
    EALCHP1.jpg

On a slightly offtopic sidenote, let's be honest the damage arrow is not the prettiest, please consider changing it for something like this, it'd make the game look a bit fresh (free to use)

https://dropbox.com/s/y4wukao703v72ik/hud_damage_arrow.dds?dl=0
    hBMefaX.jpg

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @RevanCorana
    Funny you mention that..

@Ironhorse, isn't that a little racy for the children?
    @RevanCorana
    Funny you mention that..

zr77f5o0imvz.jpg
    nice is this for the next patch?
  • lhooqlhooq 666 Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210940Members
    edited June 2016
    12%+18%= 30% vs. 59% Why is it still in the game 3 updates down the line? Are you INSANE?!
    @remi

That's pretty generous considering most tweakers want it changed to remove the tracking aspect.

I'd like to see it moved to only within obs/scan range. Make it incorporated into pewpew's tracking circle, this way you buff the "idea" at the same time you nerf it for a true Virginia compromise. Clump 2016.
    Let me rephrase the hp/armor would appear on the tracking circle on mouse over rather than client dmg. This is the buff. Right now the overlifeform bars look like crap compared to the rest of the ui.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @RevanCorana
    Funny you mention that..

zr77f5o0imvz.jpg
    nice is this for the next patch?
    I actually made that about a month ago now.
    There were some other problems with the hit indicator on the code side, and I've been informed that those should be fixed first before my indicator makes it in.

Keeping in mind that it lasts for a very short amount of time, and instantly begins lessening in opacity on a linear scale, here's the best I could do for an in game screenshot.
    You'll notice the size is slightly increased as well.
    elawughd9n24.jpg

• VivisectorVivisector Tacoma, Wa Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219168Members
    A lot of health bar hate. I had no idea so many people didn't like the health bar.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is the feedback scaled with resolution, I play at 1080p and the whole thing is HUGE, if you decide to tweak it can you please shrink it or scale to resolution, feels like 800x600 here.