Fish are Friends, Not food- Challenge!

ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
Hello everyone!

Today I have started a new challenge that came to my head for added fun in Subnautica. I have started a hardcore world where I intend to not eat a single fish at all. Thankfully this is all possible due to the farming update! I so far have survived on nothing but the two nutrient blocks, some creepvine and an odd jellyplant when I find one. I am not far into the game, I only just got a seamoth and have a small base, but I plan on heading to the island now to get the farming equipment to grow what I need to survive. I really encourage trying this challenge out if you want to have a different experience with Subnautica, it has been very fun so far! So I hope some people try this out!

Remember; fish are friends, not food!

Comments

• ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    Interesting, I will try this out soon. However - this would be more meaningful if the ecosystem would be improved. We have to wait for that, this is not a complaint. But it is good idea and thumb up man :) Fish are friends -soon in Subnautica. :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This sounds like an achievement waiting to happen. Survive X amount of days on nothing but veggies

ComicalSkate achievement unlocked - Fish are friends, not food!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Someone has to re-make Finding Nemo with Subnautica characters.
    Nemo/Marlin = Holefish
    Dory = Peeper
    Bruce = Sand Shark
    Crush = Gasopod
    Mr. Ray = Rabbit Ray
    Whale = Reefback
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    That is not really a bad idea.

I look at it from thelse two points.

1. In my survival game after HBO I pretty much ate up all the fish in the first creep vine forest I came across. Bad idea. The Stalkers disappeared. I had to look elsewhere for Stalker toothies.

2. Eat up all the fish where you plant your main base. The one called home, and you have zip fauna to look at, and enjoy from your windows.

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I am glad people like this challenge idea!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited March 2016
    I love his challenge indeed. the first time i tried it few weeks back there was no fruits to eat so i have to rely entirely on creepvines and jelly (with jelly being somewhat limited it was a very unreliable food source. Now with the farming update it made this much simpler as the hanging fruits, vegetables and melons make this much more easier once you reach their location :)

Of course now you do have to find the farming trays fragments in order to farm those in your bases heh. But i do love this challenge
  • watergirl16watergirl16 usa Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213886Members
    This is a good idea because I recently discovered it doesn't take long to overfishing your area and new ones don't regenerate. The realism of this game astounds me.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    This is a good idea because I recently discovered it doesn't take long to overfishing your area and new ones don't regenerate. The realism of this game astounds me.

And yet your crops grow nearly overnight. Not that I MIND, since I need that food, just sayin'.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

And yet your crops grow nearly overnight. Not that I MIND, since I need that food, just sayin'.

Obviously future space voodoo!
  • AntoninAntonin Montréal Join Date: 2016-05-08 Member: 216529Members
    I reproduc fishs and put them back into the nature to refill the safe shallows.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Where can you find jellyplant?
    I only ate 2 while doing this. I found them in one of the small crevices around the side of the aurora in the crash zone.
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    Why do you think this is a significant challenge?

You start with food blocks and some water. You need a scanner, a habitat builder, some titanium and an entirely doable free swim to the floating island to "solve" this "challenge" forever well before your food blocks run out.

It isn't actually a challenge, it's readily solvable with minimal effort, it's just happy fun imaginary tell yourself a fake story time while you mess about deliberately not solving it and needlessly building bases and sea moths instead of securing your easy food supply despite that supposedly being the whole point of your challenge.

I never specified in here but I never go to the island before I have a seamoth. So I will survive on no fish difficultly until I get the seamoth. Also no need to over-analyze like this, its supposed to be a fun challenge, you play at your own pace, I will play at mine. If you don't want to try it then fine, no need to point out flaws. No one else has, then you come along. This is an old discussion anyway, its time to let it die if people are just going to dis my ideas like this. Also what kind of logic is that, challenges aren't supposed to be logical, the game is intended to be played in a certain way based off the gameplay features it has, in Subnautica you have farming trays. Of course you could do the logical thing and go grab them immediately but that defeats the very purpose of the challenge. Its like if in Pokemon you are trying to challenge yourself to catch em' all, but then half way through you are like; screw this, and then go through the game at the normal pace. The game is intended to be played at what ever pace you want, you challenge yourself how you choose to play.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    The fish are my only friends. all i have are fish and water. So many fish... fishhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    Also what kind of logic is that, challenges aren't supposed to be logical
    Aside from that being... a rather odd claim, and aside from the solution to challenges being something you probably should be arriving at logically (instead of with fairy tea party stories about how you suddenly need to build X then Y then Z first for no raisin)...

The thing is WORDS mean things. The word "Challenge" does not mean "an increasingly long and unspecified series of completely arbitrary things I just decided at the last minute to do for no reason", it's a test or a competitive contest.

If your test is "do not eat fish" the solution is "get to the floating island pronto". If your response to someone suggesting that solution is "nuh uh I just now decided it's cheating if you don't first build a base and a sea moth!" then you are just shifting goal posts until they match what you are doing anyway... and that's not very challenging, not for you at least.

Maybe you just need to stop calling what you are doing "Challenging" and start calling it "telling a story about what I just randomly decided to do anyway for no reason".
    Dude! I didn't put this much thought into it! I was just trying to have fun! For Christ's sake! I thought of this, played it, enjoyed it, thought other might as well, put a discussion on the forums and thought the word "challenge" fit! I didn't spend an hour writing this post! Just give it up already! You really are going to go through all this work typing and wasting your time on an insignificant little detail that a person you have never met wrote on a forum of a game?!?! This is the end of the discussion!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited June 2016
    If your test is "do not eat fish" the solution is "get to the floating island pronto". If your response to someone suggesting that solution is "nuh uh I just now decided it's cheating if you don't first build a base and a sea moth!" then you are just shifting goal posts until they match what you are doing anyway... and that's not very challenging, not for you at least.

Maybe you just need to stop calling what you are doing "Challenging" and start calling it "telling a story about what I just randomly decided to do anyway for no reason".

Dude, we got your point, i think its time for you to move on. Like @ComicalSkate i like to give myself little challenges as well. I also like to roleplay too, sometimes. Not all the time but sometimes i do. I like this ''eat no fish'' challenge like many others and i often roleplay that my protagonist has no freakin clue that this island even exist so i often dont go there as well until later in the game. Early game you can very possibly survive without the fruits found on the island. Theres Creepvines, Jelly plants and the few nutrient blocks that allows you to live .... it makes the game artificially harder than just going straight for the fruits, granted, but if some peoples want to roleplay it like that why would it be wrong for them to play the game their way? In my opinion challenges are just that, make something ''easy'' artificially harder to see if you could do it differently and survive

Im not flaming you or anything, just pointing out my (and many other's) opinion.
    In my opinion challenges are just that, make something ''easy'' artificially harder to see if you could do it differently and survive

Well said! That is what I was trying to say in one long post, but you managed to convey it in one sentence! Thank you for your addition to this discussion! It is very much appreciated!

Now lets end this! :P

edited June 2016
    Well said! That is what I was trying to say in one long post, but you managed to convey it in one sentence! Thank you for your addition to this discussion! It is very much appreciated!

You're very welcome :wink: Also, as a suggestion, it might be worth mentionning that its for roleplay reasons that one might want to do these challenges. I got it right off the bat from reading your post, but its painfully obvious that some others do not. I'll myself keep that in mind for future ideas like that :)

Now lets end this! :P

Agreed
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    This challenge really contradicts my challenge idea 'Full on carnivore'. I will definitely try this one.
    This is the end of the discussion!
    You really respond VERY poorly to even mild criticism of your... ahem... "challenge" don't you.

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Mmmmm..... Fish and chips with salt and pepper squid rings, and popcorn shrimp, and maby a little bowl of clam chowder..
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I'd like to see UWE add challenge modes like this built-in to the game. It would add considerable replayability with minimal development work. Maybe even add an achievement as an extra bonus.
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see UWE add challenge modes like this built-in to the game. It would add considerable replayability with minimal development work. Maybe even add an achievement as an extra bonus.

Oh god, yes!
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Was just about to start a new game so I will definitely try the challenge. Great idea.

I'm gonna miss the tender fish flesh in my diet, though...
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited June 2016
    For the ones who know where the Island is, this is done quite easy, for newer players who don`t know that yet it is a challenge, so why going against @ComicalSkate s challenge? It`s a nice thought and I have to admit I will always fail at it because I like eating flesh and fish. ;-)

Edit: Might get a bit hard with water, or did the escape pod had 2x 50 drinks?
    Bleach for disenfected water really is not hard to get, then you have the water filtration machine and your all set.