What should be done about the health bar?

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited May 2016
    Neoken wrote: »
    I'd like to see how much support there is for this change.

Discuss the health bar here. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/141990/health-bars-on-enemies/p1

devs shouldnt be allowed to vote
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Wake if the onos is in visual range then the comm could click it and read its health anyway.
    Right now is just easier, its a QoL change.

Interfaces should be easy to use, not artificially hard to use. In the perspective of the comm and information nothing has changed. It was already possible.
    I did often.

This is a flawed argument because

1) Onos is not the only lifeform, although it may be the more often selected one by commanders.
    2) Commanders by and large don't have the reaction time or ability to break away from other micro actions to assess every single lifeform (including skulks) that baits and plays aggressively - which previously was most of the alien team.

Being able to encounter a new group of marines in the next room faster than the prior room's marines (or commander) could communicate HP status - WAS the primary playstyle when playing aggressively as an alien of any class.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    I really like the health bar especially for marines (shooting). It is a sorely needed feature in NS2 IMO to help push new players slightly up the "skill curve" to hopefully drive up the retention rate.

Feels like this poll has been dominated by competitive players who are feeling the negative effect on aliens. Perhaps this is the first tremor in the balance shake down that ns2 has needed for a long time.

In short: change is good. :P
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Feels like this poll has been dominated by competitive players who are feeling the negative effect on aliens. Perhaps this is the first tremor in the balance shake down that ns2 has needed for a long time.

Competitive players did have a pretty good understanding of their enemies health prior to the health bar. Competitive games are played 6vs6 which leaves 5 players on the field, so "Onos low" usually is a very unambiguous call because if you have to wonder which one your mate is talking about, you have a bigger problem.

It's been said over and over - it makes tracking easier, and I dare to argue that, by your logic, for every rookie marine player that gets 'pushed up the skill curve' and takes down a lifeform and is now successfully retained(tm) for another round, you have a rookie alien that now flashes their lifeform in a moment where before, they wouldn't have. What about the skill curve and magical retention of the frustrated player there?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Luchs wrote: »

Competitive players did have a pretty good understanding of their enemies health prior to the health bar. Competitive games are played 6vs6 which leaves 5 players on the field, so "Onos low" usually is a very unambiguous call because if you have to wonder which one your mate is talking about, you have a bigger problem.

It's been said over and over - it makes tracking easier, and I dare to argue that, by your logic, for every rookie marine player that gets 'pushed up the skill curve' and takes down a lifeform and is now successfully retained(tm) for another round, you have a rookie alien that now flashes their lifeform in a moment where before, they wouldn't have. What about the skill curve and magical retention of the frustrated player there?

Rookies only play marines.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Rookies only play marines.

Mostly indeed, because at least they know how a human works ;-)

It's a Natural Selection for a beginner ;-)
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Either remove - Or only allow it on Rookie only servers.
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    Keep it because i notice new players actually shase aliens now, but tweak it in a way that it only shows when you are aiming at the alien/marine, i don't like how it hovers above the enemy even when you are not aiming directly at it after the initial attack.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just wish they were smaller, it obscures my tracking at a distance :(
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Think of the health bar as a target and shoot at it. It's there for your aiming not for blocking your view.

I am sure it was entirely unintentional that the health bar helps with targeting. If it was intentional I wish they made a bright target appear on the enemy whenever you saw him. It's easy now, but it could be even easier.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Keep it - Devs
    Keep it, but tweak it - Casuals
    Remove it - Comp scene
    I don't care - Rebels, legends, nihilists
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Keep it - Devs
    Remove it - Comp scene

I take it as Legend. You go for the last one Meat.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited May 2016
    Keep it - Devs
    Remove it - Comp scene

Have you heard boys? We are now officially a Comp scene.

(I've heard the real Comp scene has rq some time ago)
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't think health bar ruining the balance or spirit of ns2 or something like that on high skill level play so I don't care
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I am not a competitive player.. stop generalizing
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Doesn't CDT stands for Competitive Deterent Teaspoon ?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Ok, lets think of it that way.
    How about we make it mouseover. Easier, but still only on the unit you focus on.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ok, lets think of it that way.
    How about we make it mouseover. Easier, but still only on the unit you focus on.

This would only be okay for comms. But even then, comms being able to read HP is something I never liked. But atleast it was only the comm and it took a fair amount of time to do so because micro management.
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    edited May 2016
    Wob wrote: »
    Marginal benefit is most for high level players. It's staggering that some people defend this change and say that high level players are complaining because it makes our alien play worse.

It makes our marine play so much better and at the end of the day 1 strong marine is the best unit/resource in the game.

I laugh at anyone who implies high level players complain or suggest changes purely for their own benefit. This argument is one of the biggest barriers to game development.

I for instance will only play marine on public, just to get the inbalance there, 1 marine with never below 40% wrecks the game, and forces people to disconnect and people wont play on the server or the game anymore :)
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    The sad part is most alien players quit when their team is getting killed ten minutes into the game by targeting helped marines. I played a game as aliens and when I checked the scoreboard most of my team quit and were replaced by bots.
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    alster wrote: »
    The sad part is most alien players quit when their team is getting killed ten minutes into the game by targeting helped marines. I played a game as aliens and when I checked the scoreboard most of my team quit and were replaced by bots.

Thanks to me :)
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Ryssk wrote: »
    alster wrote: »

Thanks to me :)

He's probably talking about a rookie server.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I really like the health bar especially for marines (shooting). It is a sorely needed feature in NS2 IMO to help push new players slightly up the "skill curve" to hopefully drive up the retention rate.

In short: change is good. :P

I'm not a competitive player, stop generalizing.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I'm not a competitive player either, casual all the way.

I want them gone and I'm about as far from the competitive mindset you could possibly get..
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    We’ve also heard your cries and beacons

@remi Any chance of having you reconsider these HP bars now?
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    We’ve also heard your cries and beacons

Any chance of having you reconsider these HP bars now?

Don't be silly, they can't hear dog whistles.