'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Question: If commander Tomar was high enough up in the Torgaljin ranks, why would he risk his ship and crew to an attack by the warpers. He must have been aware that they existed and knew they were able to strike down the Aurora. He blatantly bombarded their planet, what did he expect? Unless Torgaljin was completely unaware to the existence of a sentient species residing on the planet. Also why was the Aurora there again? You mentioned that Alterra and Torgaljin were working together to essentially strip mine the planet/build a secret colony, right? But it seems Alterra is out of this deal after what happened with the Aurora. Will further influence by Alterra be mentioned?
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Suddenly, the terraformer was removed from the game :D
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Suddenly, the terraformer was removed from the game :D

Not in this reality, Bucko. Please refrain from picking holes in the narrative, there's a good chap :disappointed:

Anyone can stand in front of a half-painted fence and say "You missed a bit."
    I pick holes in everyones narratives >:) .

If the star trek writers could hear me...... they would probably wish I would shut up.

But I think that it is important that a story keeps it's own internal logic, even if that is seprate from real life logic. For instance, if you are writing about the far future, and they don't have the technology to do something that we can do today, then there better be a damm good reason for it.

Not to say that is a problem your story has- it really is quite good, and has done a decent job of sticking to the same set of rules. I was simply pointing out that the terraformer was being removed as a joke.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I pick holes in everyones narratives >:) .

If the star trek writers could hear me...... they would probably wish I would shut up.

But I think that it is important that a story keeps it's own internal logic, even if that is seprate from real life logic. For instance, if you are writing about the far future, and they don't have the technology to do something that we can do today, then there better be a damm good reason for it.

Not to say that is a problem your story has- it really is quite good, and has done a decent job of sticking to the same set of rules. I was simply pointing out that the terraformer was being removed as a joke.

My story has, and attempts to constantly maintain its own internal logic. Rest assured on that point.

Picking holes in an evolving narrative is probably the worst insult anyone could offer an author. You are doing me no favours.

The notion of 'constructive criticism' does not give anyone free licence to offer 'helpful' suggestions, speculations or make snide comments that only serve to derail the story's progress. Kindly wait until the story is finished, please. Furthermore, events are planned to develop and unfold in a specific sequence. If a story element requires a detailed explanation or a rationale for its existence, you may also rest assured that it shall happen in the fullness of time.

Patience is the key here.

As for making snide comments purely to get a reaction from the author... That dog won't hunt.

I regard trolling in an extremely dim light. Defective Delfin walked that same path. Don't be that guy. K?
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    In most stories characters do the most stupid thing ever so the story can carry on
  • Obnoxious_GamerObnoxious_Gamer Cyclops Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210938Members

Bugzapper wrote: »

Patience is the key here.

As for making snide comments purely to get a reaction from the author... That dog won't hunt.

I regard trolling in an extremely dim light. Defective Delfin walked that same path. Don't be that guy. K?

Do you know what a joke is? I mean, really. Calm down.

I am perfectly calm. Some of these 'joke' comments are beginning to slip over the line. Again.

Merely reining in some of the potentially pointed comments before they turn nasty.

The bottom line: My plot ideas. My story. I have the final say in what appears in it.

I'd rather not spoon-feed every plot device and odd turn of phrase to the audience. It's condescending, and totally unnecessary.

• Obnoxious_GamerObnoxious_Gamer Cyclops Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210938Members

I am perfectly calm. Some of these 'joke' comments are beginning to slip over the line. Again.

Merely reining in some of the potentially pointed comments before they turn nasty.

The bottom line: My plot ideas. My story. I have the final say in what appears in it.

I'd rather not spoon-feed every plot device and odd turn of phrase to the audience. It's condescending, and totally unnecessary.

Pretty sure the little laughing emoji clearly denoted it as a joke, as did his next comment and subsequent apology. He obviously wasn't trying to change anything. Maybe you should give your audience a little more credit, and don't spoon-feed them when it's obviously not needed.
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    snip

Please remember to keep your quotes short, and try not to waste Bugzapper's time, thanks. Also, you're being a jerk. Stop.

-A fan of Aurora Falls.
  • TechMasterAllenTechMasterAllen Join Date: 2015-06-28 Member: 205844Members
    The ending of this section was amazing. The actual JUNO just casually walks in, and goes "Boo".
  • EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    I think JUNO watched a few Terminator movies and learned some new moves XD
    Please remember to keep your quotes short, and try not to waste Bugzapper's time, thanks. Also, you're being a jerk. Stop.

-A fan of Aurora Falls.

I actually cut off a significant part of his quote, and was merely commenting on his apparent inability to understand sarcasm. If he doesn't want to "spoonfeed" people, maybe the best course of action is to not reply to casual jokes with long-winded insults and a condescending tone.
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    edited May 2016
    Some of you people keep continuing these arguments maybe like you want to get the last laugh before it ends, or maybe not, but either way, how about you just stop arguing about stuff and using more of the alloted posts-per-page or whatever it is? I recall page 17, was it?, was mostly posts not by Bugzapper/parts of the story. Compare to the early pages, which were mostly the story.

A little commenting is fine, maybe, but don't take it too far.

Not that I dictate how this works, that would be Bugzapper, but maybe take a suggestion or something.

Edit #4 or 5 or something: Yes, on page 17, only 3 out of the 30 posts were story. I had maybe two or just one post. Or maybe more. (edited as #5 or 6 to correct number from 2 to 3)
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited May 2016
    I mean, I don't think upgraded and very high security would be worth the money in Torgaljin's eyes. They are a few thousand metres below sea level on an unexplored alien world that not a lot of people know about, and if people do come lurching to the planet its likely that the warpers will just fill their ships reactors with a few gallons of seawater. So I think you would be relatively safe. Who would expect a fleet of cyclops and 4 heavily armed exo-suits to be knocking at their door.

So in short, Torgaljin essentially lived under a false sense of security. No wonder they didn't see the need to spend time and resources upgrading their systems.

Being isolated from home with no chance of relief or supply drops didn't help either.

Sorry, ignore this post. It came too late.
    "I happened to him!

Well, that escalated quickly.
  • TechMasterAllenTechMasterAllen Join Date: 2015-06-28 Member: 205844Members
    edited May 2016
    Selkirk sounds really, really pissed. I would not want to get in his way right now.
  • Tmart94Tmart94 u.s Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216043Members
    I also like how he went all good cop bad cop.
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    i dint think wed see this side of selkirk
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    dem cliffhangers! unlike tv shows we dont have to wait a week inbetween at least :smiley:
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    "IANTO! - Get yer bloody bahookie back here!"
    Couldn't stop laughing at that xD
  • Gman_Plays_GamesGman_Plays_Games Washington Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214401Members
    Oh wow this is really good... Keep going!
  • AAAsubnauticaAAAsubnautica Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216569Members
    edited May 2016
    Bugzapper wrote:
    Purely a constructive criticism, of course.
    Haha, I think I see from this page that you are directing that to commenters.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Bugzapper wrote:
    Purely a constructive criticism, of course.
    Haha, I think I see from this page that you are directing that to commenters.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

Who ? Me? I don't think so.

Apparently, I am unable to understand sarcasm. ;)
    Well, that WAS sarcasm, and you responded negatively, even after I apologized and explained that it was nothing more than a joke.