'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    On the first day of Manannán, the Sea Emperor gave to me: A Reaper trying to kill me.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    What I would do in this situation is make a mega-exosuit with tons of dakka and armor and go an wreck their stupid metal bawks. But I suspect that is not what you have in mind.
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    So, uh, Bugzapper, can I assume you're in school? Based on stuff like how you tend to publish after school hours by this site's default time, and more often on weekends at times.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    So, uh, Bugzapper, can I assume you're in school? Based on stuff like how you tend to publish after school hours by this site's default time, and more often on weekends at times.

dont forget that lots of day job also are during those timeframes :wink:
    edited May 2016
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Joeakuaku wrote: »

dont forget that lots of day job also are during those timeframes :wink:

Well - after school hours (2:00? 1:55 in my case) is a thing I put

We might have to wait on Bug's word on this.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I'm unemployed at the moment. A high-school dropout, as well. Year 10.

Most of my writing takes place somewhere between midnight and Stupid o'clock. Less distractions.
    Also, take into account the time differential between the U.S and Australia, which is where I live.

I do go to school, but not in the capacity you'd expect. I'm a volunteer groundskeeper/maintenance guy at a small local bush school. Only working two days a week, but they're extremely grateful for it. It's your actual 'shoestring operation' on a tight budget.

Currently occupying a position of esteem somewhere between Groundskeeper Willie and Boothby of Starfleet Academy.
    Bugzapper wrote: »

Most of my writing takes place somewhere between midnight and Stupid o'clock. Less distractions.
    Also, take into account the time differential between the U.S and Australia, which is where I live.

I do go to school, but not in the capacity you'd expect. I'm a volunteer groundskeeper/maintenance guy at a small local bush school. Only working two days a week, but they're extremely grateful for it. It's your actual 'shoestring operation' on a tight budget.

Currently occupying a position of esteem somewhere between Groundskeeper Willie and Boothby of Starfleet Academy.

Pretty much me as well. I am planning on making some money from selling some of the carnivorous plants I grow.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Pretty much me as well. I am planning on making some money from selling some of the carnivorous plants I grow.

Best of luck to you, mate. It's too damn hard to turn a decent buck these days.

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members

Venus Flytraps FTW!
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    Ok. This sounds very... cool and confusing. How? Was it biologically engineered? Or is it alien to the planet? I really would like an explication, but otherwise, quite a plot twist!
  • Pudding01Pudding01 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216308Members
    edited May 2016
    Bugzapper wrote: »

Also, take into account the time differential between the U.S and Australia, which is where I live..

With writing skills like this?!? Damn, someone hasn't been noticed by someone high-up enough...
    Ok. This sounds very... cool and confusing. How? Was it biologically engineered? Or is it alien to the planet? I really would like an explication, but otherwise, quite a plot twist!

The Sea Emperor is definitely a native of the planet. Trust me on this one. :)
    Coranth wrote: »

Venus Flytraps FTW!

No, see those are the ones I am keeping. But in a month one sundew seems to turn into 100,000,000 sundews, so I think I might be able to make a decent amount of money from them.
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    exceptional a usual also im planning my own subnautica story called auroras judgement
  • AAAsubnauticaAAAsubnautica Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216569Members
    edited May 2016
    I created an account at SCHOOL solely for this story. I risked losing usage of my computer!
    WOW!!!!!
    "Okay, JUNO. It's your call. Make the dive if you can, and then fox the Hell out of those sensors."

"Affirmative, Captain. Signal strength is nominal. Negotiating with external system. Stand by."

We continued to advance slowly in staggered line abreast. The red pips on my HUD suddenly turned green, indicating that JUNO now had complete control of the Lava Castle's outer defences and sensor network. That's one barrier down. Now we had to find an entrance to the base itself, preferably one that was large enough to accommodate an ExoSuit or four. A sub bay would be ideal, but I had no idea of its probable location. This area was almost devoid of any significant marine life and visible light was nothing more than a fond memory. What little infra-red light this area had came from small extrusions of magma pooling in the countless cracks and chasms scattered across the seabed. Now I truly know what 'gloomy' looks like.

Even with JUNO slapping a virtual blindfold over the base's sensor array, it probably wouldn't be a good time to use active sonar. With no large sea life to provide any useful level of background noise, even our passive sonar was having a rough time of it.

"What's it like in there, JUNO?" I asked cheerfully.

"Extremely cramped, Sir." JUNO quipped. "Whoever designed this AI's systems architecture had absolutely no grasp of the fundamentals of heuristic programming. There's barely enough material in the core processor matrices to make a decent pair of ear-rings. In all honesty, I've seen far more adequate data storage and transfer allocations in a toddler's game console."

"How about ICE? Anything nasty guarding the access channels to the base's main systems?"

"No Intruder Countermeasure Entities are detected, Sir. I shall attempt to gain access... Uplink successful. Transmitting core data stream to your tactical display now, Captain."

Someone in the Lava Castle had their head properly screwed on. The main sub hangar access tunnel lay on the opposite side of the structure, effectively shielded from frontal assault by the sheer amount of solidified lava forming the base of this natural feature. According to the base schematics, the Lava Castle was honeycombed with wide, high corridors and cavernous rooms. Some of the smaller side passages and personnel berths might be an awkward fit for the ExoSuits, although we'll be well and truly deep inside the base before this even becomes a problem.

I managed to identify the critical structures we would need to strike first. Life Support, Barracks and Armoury. Current base complement was 150, including a platoon of 40 armed security personnel. Most of the remainder would be scientists, technicians and support staff, plus a handful of admin drones and upper-echelon management types. Even so, it doesn't take much training to pick up a smart-weapon and point it in someone's general direction. Consider all 150 of them as a combat-capable force, and adjust the overall strategy accordingly. Anesthezine gas could account for most of our potential adversaries, although we still might face the prospect of some ugly little squabbles during the mopping-up operation.
  • Tmart94Tmart94 u.s Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216043Members
    Allons-y!

You just had to make a who reference after naming an ai ianto..

You sir need a raise
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    blast the techs to shatters
    exceptional
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited May 2016
    You had to leave us with such a cliffhanger!
    This is why writers are considered evil! :)
    So, uh... about that story about cliffhangers?
  • GalacaticSurvivorGalacaticSurvivor NY, United States Join Date: 2016-02-12 Member: 212919Members
    I don't think they will kill her, right? I don't think Selkirk could emotionally, and the AI's have been programmed not to kill people. Can't wait till next post!!!
    To forestall the inevitable question: 'boet' = 'mate'. Afrikaans slang.
    in the end because im assuming the sea emperor is a carnivore and not completely sentient he might just eat selkirk and the warpers after they rescue them
    in the end because im assuming the sea emperor is a carnivore and not completely sentient he might just eat selkirk and the warpers after they rescue them

You might be slightly disappointed.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited May 2016

That would be anti-climactic... -_-;;;