Bring back the NS2 Large on the default server list

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @PuphBall Just read the code comment I posted.. it's pretty clear..
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    I agree that the comment section of that code is aimed at 42 man servers. However, Wooza claims this change had a positive effect on more than just 24+ servers. If that's the case, then that kind of change is for the good of NS2 rather than the good of 24+ servers.

Anyway, I am not here to argue semantics and I will agree that you posted evidence that the Developers have done good things for big servers. I'm here to defend the future of NS2's modding communities because I respect content creators and developers alike.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2280840/#Comment_2280840

Here is my solution to this problem, a perfect middleground that satisfies all the check boxes.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    IronHorse wrote: »
    • Development time and money has been put into fixing 24+ specific issues and optimizations in the past despite not being officially supported.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    wooza wrote: »
    Tell me one optimizations that has just been done especially for a 24+ specific issues.
    That's one example and the work of one guy.

If you can't follow your own goal posts you shouldn't be participating in the discussion.

I wrote instead of "some", "one" which ended in complete wrong sentence, sorry... I want to higlight tho that you mention "specific issues and optimatizations" which means there must more than this surely.

• kaokao france Join Date: 2015-12-20 Member: 210122Members
    http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#6m

from 500 to 300 , well done UWE , 40% of the population is gone .
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members
    kao wrote: »

Funny, because the trend shows that NS2 went from 600 to 430 players between 11th and 12th. Did we lose 30% of the playerbase there too? From the 11th the peak has dropped a slight bit until the 14th of which it spiked again a tiny bit, and then sharply down to 0. Which I assume was patch related. How interesting, it is as if the players could spot the future. I dont even know what the complaints are about, the trend is way too early to make any conclusions off.
    Same happened in march with a "sharp" decline in peakplayers. Sometimes people got other shit to do.
    Let's say the average peak now consistently drops about 100 players then yeah, I would agree.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anyway , 300 average player base wasnt the main goal when devs spoke about player retention , right ?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    Allright, my evening started bad, it ain't going to get better. Martini time !
    Cheers Yojimbo !
    bdbnvt1vtb3f.jpg

If you are a sucker for spiced rum, you should try and find

Red Leg Rum
    rum_red4.jpg

OR

The Kraken
    rum_kra3.jpg

I guess I just like collecting the bottles for the craftmanship :smiley:
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    kao wrote: »

I always thought that 1/4 of the playerbase played on wooza.
    1/4=40%, new meta.

And btw. this 40% is "gone" cause they dont want to click a button.
    no comment.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2016
    dopy wrote: »
    The only reason the server got active is because of something I already stated earlier. People spammed everyone on steam friends to make them aware that the server was still up, cause nobody goddamn knew.

So joining an empty server and sending invites to friends... I believe that's called seeding, something we have to do regularly on normal sized servers.

How come Wooza or any of his admins (assuming he has any) aren't seeding the server then? Zero (IBIS) leaves himself AFK in his server 24/7 to always seed it when it empties out. Why can't Wooza do the same? That would make it appear in the NS2large list, toss in some invites and you have a full server.
    Yojimbo wrote: »

The Kraken
    rum_kra3.jpg

I guess I just like collecting the bottles for the craftmanship :smiley:

DAMN! I feel sexually attracted by this bottle .

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    rantology wrote: »
    We're going to go ahead and sink this thread. We've heard the feedback, we've discussed it and we've come to a decision about it. If you have further feedback on the server browser please feel free to start a new thread.

I just want to point out the irony of sinking a thread about servers being hidden from the server browser. Much like players looking to join large servers I too thought this thread was dead. But hey, working as intended right?
    @Deck_
    You was right btw that the server NEEDS rookies to work.
    And this fact is the source of all the drama.
    They cant vacuum all the rookies anymore.
    But it looks like they working on rookie "portal servers" now.

Kinda interisting to hang around on wooza discord btw.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    dePARA wrote: »
    @Deck_
    A community lives with new people joining and regulars leaving the game. UWE is taking away the possibility that new players may find this game mode easily.
    It doesn't matter that you try and "leak" informations that people will see soon anyway. The chat is open for everyone.

You representing our Squad5 from the most negative side you can do. With your psycho terror you keep trying to destryoing me. And yet you and your clan are so desperate that they writing on servers that I am hosting for that they should join their super awesome server moderated by kidmins.

[23:00:34]Chat All - Di'es K3L: go HBZ server
    [23:00:35]Chat All - Di'es K3L: guys
    [23:00:44]Chat All - Di'es K3L: high quality pub

Your "oldest NS2" server is empty by purpose.

• PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    As someone who is passionate for content creators, I thank you @Decoy for choosing not to lock this thread (yet?).
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Decoy wrote: »
    This thread has been sunk already, but I won't hesitate to lock it if it continues to be nasty. I'm just catching up with it after a busy week and there was a ton of naming & shaming and personal attacks. They need to stop here. If your post has personal attacks from here on out, it will be edited or potentially just deleted entirely, regardless of the other content. If you cannot communicate without generally being rude and personally attacking people, either wait to post or don't post at all.

If you guys have PRIVATE issues with someone, the way they run their servers, things they've said to you, etc. you need to address it over PRIVATE messages. Not blasting it all over the forums.

Thanks guys

@Decoy pls
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold

Just for the record, it is my server now. Depara unfortunately refused to be involved in it.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2016
    @Deck_
    They cant vacuum all the rookies anymore.
    But it looks like they working on rookie "portal servers" now.

also some people i am sure will buy the game and discover there are only small servers and then never play it. Whlst some mght be driven away by large servers others may very well be driven away by small ones.

Also i will no longer be mapping for this game and i will no longer be working on my large hydra update and my small version of ns2 dark because i no longer believe in UWE's vision for this game and i feel as though it would be a waste of my own time. I give the game a few months before its to empty for me to even bother logging in anymore.
    edited April 2016

Like Biscsum said, its not my server.
    In fact its a new one.
    The original server had its time, this time is over. Point.

I dont really care about your community or your server.
    But i care about the game.
    So while a player with enough hrs in the game knows the difference between all mods, new players who have still problems to understand the vanilla game dont know them.
    And cause the nature of the slotammount new players will end on your server sooner or later cause this servers has the highest chance of a free slot.
    Did the new player have the free will to join? Sure, but sometimes (timedependent) there is no really alternative.

Im sure this is the reason for the last change.

Personally i bielieve this server is the source of countless technical issues people posted in the steam forum and here.
    And no, before we see the typical "its running super smooth, i have 140 fps there" start again:
    By playing there you lose 30% fps and more (depent on situation) and you have other problems based on the reduced rates.

And again, you as vets are aware of this, cause you know and dont care about the issues.
    Rautapalli wrote: »
    I'm still getting 100+ FPS most of the time on wooza, which is more than enough for the type of gameplay I'm looking for when I join a wooza server.

And the argument that people who bought the game and cant find large servers would quit cause that are pure speculation based on warm air.
    I would not call 24 slots small.
    Team Fortress 2 (I heard its kinda successfull) has 32 slot max btw.
    You play CS:Go 5v5 and have to search higher slot unranked servers via steam serverbrowser. And its still very popular, crazy isnt it?
    edited April 2016
    Guys,

I feel we are missing a major point here.

This is from PATCH 286.

Increase rookie level to 5 so new players can keep playing and practicing on rookie-only servers for longer before joining the non-rookie servers. You can still play on any server you want after reaching level 1 or finishing the tutorial.

If you want rookies to have an accurate representation of the game, "You can still play on any server you want after reaching level 1 or finishing the tutorial." you need to adjust this value which in my opinion is a better way of handling things. Perhaps that way rookies will have an even better understanding of how NS2 was originally intended and by then it is solely up to them and them only on which server they chose to play on, UWE, PDT or Wooza community no longer has a say.

Is this something that we could do with current playercounts? How many do we REALLY need to make it happen?"

So upon suddenly realising this, is there a real need to switch to displaying NS2 vanilla by default?

On a side note, this is from a fellow rookie that actually WANTS to go back to being a rookie.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/141685/how-can-i-revert-my-account-to-rookie-i-started-playing-before-all-the-rookie-changes#latest

To further iterate a point and before someones says we shouldn't gate rookies, this is happening already in other games, i.e. Dirty Bomb from the top of my head, I could not play any other "game modes" until I had reached a certain level, I was thankful for this and considering we see ns2Large as a gamemode in itself, I don't see how this is a problem.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    @Yojimbo : We surely lost something ... but I 'm a pratical guy so ... where is it ? I just had it ! It was just HERE !

- Where is it ?
    - I don't know
    - I's gone
    - That's true
    - It's lost
    - I know
    - Where could it be ?
    - Could be anywhere
    - Maybe it'll come back
    - Maybe but not yet
    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ULNX2k0YbI&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This discussion has been closed.