List of old and annoying bugs that need fixing!

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    alster wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    2. If the player is spawned and afk with you next in queue, you become "stuck" on him resorting to performing acrobatics over and around him.

Can we just fix this once and for all?

Simple fix, kill anyone on the spawner when someone spawns. Bonus achievement earned - death by spawning.

Problem with this is you are just adding another person to the spawn queue, this can make all the difference in certain scenarios, best just pushing them far out the way (within reason).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    2. If the player is spawned and afk with you next in queue, you become "stuck" on him resorting to performing acrobatics over and around him.

Simple fix, kill anyone on the spawner when someone spawns. Bonus achievement earned - death by spawning.

Problem with this is you are just adding another person to the spawn queue, this can make all the difference in certain scenarios, best just pushing them far out the way (within reason).

How about every player gets pushed out of the infantry portal upon spawn?
    Like when leaving an exo.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

i vote for this... and let me put a nice phase gate right in front :)

involuntary phasing. it's the only way to troll.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Skulk taunt sound is chuckle rather than the actual skulk taunt sound (introduced as a random unwarranted work-around before chuckle was bindable)

For the love of god, someone fix this already.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    amoral wrote: »

i vote for this... and let me put a nice phase gate right in front :)

involuntary phasing. it's the only way to troll.

Well, if they would also go ahead and finally fix the bug where you spawn looking in the direction you're facing, this wouldn't be an issue ;)

But I agree. Involuntary phasing (e.g. for afks) would be awesome xD
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2016
    Well, if they would also go ahead and finally fix the bug where you spawn looking in the direction you're facing, this wouldn't be an issue ;)
    It's actually already been fixed, and will either be in the next patch or in the hotfix, time permitting.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Skulk taunt sound is chuckle rather than the actual skulk taunt sound (introduced as a random unwarranted work-around before chuckle was bindable)

It's been so long, I have forgotten the real taunt sound. Seemed like last time this was brought up, the powers that be didn't seem to understand what we were referring to. I could be wrong. But yes, my body aches for its return.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The issue with the AFK spawn thing is that if you spit people out, it becomes much more difficult to grind down an IP as aliens. Mind you, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but since there's no indication of what direction they'll spawn in for aliens as much as for marines, it might end up being more difficult than is ideal. At least with gates you know they're coming out either this way or that way. IPs are 360 degrees of whoknows.

I actually kinda like the idea of damaging anything on an IP while it's spawning someone in. But this would definitely have unintended repurcussions (turtling with IPs everywhere ftw). It would be similar to Telefragging. If it was a DoT while the guy's spawning it would give aliens time to get out of the way.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    UW spent years trying to fix the spawn push. I hope the PDT doesn't waste years trying to fix it.

It's most likely not fixable due to mapping, building placement, collision, physics, ghost buildings from previous round, xyz, and the list goes on. Please just kill it already. Do the player fragging.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    Rubber banding when running directly behind and very close to a fellow marine.
    You may need to have Multi-threaded physics enabled to reproduce. (who doesn't tho?)

edit: Update the OP @Yojimbo !
    remi wrote: »
    It's actually already been fixed, and will either be in the next patch or in the hotfix, time permitting.

This is the best ns2 related news I've heard in some time.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    You may need to have Multi-threaded physics enabled to reproduce. (who doesn't tho?)

Update it with what? lol
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    There is one with phase gates, sometimes all the sound and visual effects happen but you dont really phase.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2016
    That marine "radar" thing that lets you see enemies that you actually cannot see.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    Most notable are the ability to see things that you shouldn't be able to see.

I thought the vision around harvesters was not a bug, that's sad.

The ability to see aliens behind you is worse. Makes the shade a bit less fun.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Disabling multi-threaded solves this? Isnt it related to netcode/lag?

- Structures can block cyst path and drifter movement.
    - Cysts getting abruptly destroyed after placement.
    edited March 2016
    NovoRei wrote: »

Not sure if that's what you're meaning, but sometimes cysts also get popped if you place one close to them, even if it was clearly outside that little circle.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members

Not sure if that's what you're meaning, but sometimes cysts also get popped if you place one close to them, even if it was clearly outside that little circle.

Say when starting a match and you lay a cyst path, the first placed cyst pops and all the other die.
  • ydyydy Join Date: 2014-10-21 Member: 199067Members
    2cough wrote: »

It's been so long, I have forgotten the real taunt sound. Seemed like last time this was brought up, the powers that be didn't seem to understand what we were referring to. I could be wrong. But yes, my body aches for its return.
    NS1 has six alien voice sounds, listed here with meaning when used as marine:
    asay11.wav = impulse 7 follow me
    asay21.wav = impulse 8 covering you
    asay31.wav = impulse 9 taunt
    asay41.wav = asay71.wav = asay81.wav = impulse 10 request med = impulse 14 request weld
    asay51.wav = impulse 11 request ammo
    asay61.wav = impulse 12 in position
    (As marine impulse 13 does enemy spotted, but as alien nothing happens.)

Two of these six are already used in NS2: asay31.wav is taunt (skulk) and asay41.wav is request heal.

That leaves four assets up for grabs.
    ydy wrote: »
    • 'Follow me' on aliens does nothing, could just grab the sound asset from NS1 just like the others and make this work
    • 'Request drifter' and 'Request nutrient mist' make the same sound
    • 'Need order' name differs from use, could instead call it something like 'Signal commander'
    • 'Request drifter' same as above so that aliens have an analogous all-purpose tool to get commander's attention

To remedy all of the above and make full use of available assets, for NS2 aliens I think it would make a lot of sense to:
    • Make follow me play asay11.wav just like NS1. This is the most valuable of the missing NS2 alien voice signals. It's great in NS1 for doing local coordination of group engagements and disengagements.
    • Change request drifter name to signal commander, change its keybind to be the same as signal commander (marine) [formerly need order], and change its sound to one of asay21.wav, asay51.wav, or asay61.wav, whatever you think sounds best
    • Of those three, whichever two aren't used for signal commander can be added into a pool of several skulk taunts similar to marines
    • Make request weld like NS1 play the same sound as request heal, asay41.wav, basically because why not

That uses all the available alien voice assets and clears up a few things. Seems like a clear win to me.
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    Lifeform Eggs are visible/detectable by marine team several ways (beyond whichever one is being misted).

Looking at your map, lifeform eggs appear in their different form for the marine team, rather than just being another egg. They look like how they look to fellow aliens on the map.

Commanders can click on eggs and determine which one is a lifeform that way.

They used to show up the same highlight for friends if they were your friend, but Idk if this is still the case.

Honestly, I don't know if I would consider this a bug. If the marine commander has the situational awareness to know a alien player is egging, then I think it's fine that he can tell which one by selecting it. You could argue that player eggs looking different on the mini map is a bit unfair, I'll concede that, but really it comes down to the alien player being smart about where/when he eggs, the marine commander being able to know which eggs are evolving rewards good situational awareness and positioning by a marine if he can kill it, which I think is healthy to have in this game.

I mean, if were arguing that this is unfair, can't it also be said that the alien commander being able to see what a proto is researching by selecting it is also unfair? (I'm pretty sure you can still do this right now).
    Alite wrote: »
    Lifeform Eggs are visible/detectable by marine team several ways (beyond whichever one is being misted).

Looking at your map, lifeform eggs appear in their different form for the marine team, rather than just being another egg. They look like how they look to fellow aliens on the map.

They used to show up the same highlight for friends if they were your friend, but Idk if this is still the case.

Honestly, I don't know if I would consider this a bug. If the marine commander has the situational awareness to know a alien player is egging, then I think it's fine that he can tell which one by selecting it. You could argue that player eggs looking different on the mini map is a bit unfair, I'll concede that, but really it comes down to the alien player being smart about where/when he eggs, the marine commander being able to know which eggs are evolving rewards good situational awareness and positioning by a marine if he can kill it, which I think is healthy to have in this game.

I mean, if were arguing that this is unfair, can't it also be said that the alien commander being able to see what a proto is researching by selecting it is also unfair? (I'm pretty sure you can still do this right now).

Yup you can, when I recon an marine base I'll parasite the arms lab and teach the newbie commander that he can find out what's researching.

Haven't done this for awhile as of late though, ANOTHER hidden mechanic.
    Alite wrote: »

Yup you can, when I recon an marine base I'll parasite the arms lab and teach the newbie commander that he can find out what's researching.

Haven't done this for awhile as of late though, ANOTHER hidden mechanic.

I didn't even know thats a thing. I'll keep it in mind for next time I play.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Morning chaps,
    3. Trying to throw a grenade just as you are about to die never actually explodes.
    Holy dickballs this ^^ * eleventybilliontrillionquadzilliondonutillionbazillionzetabyteillion.

Just to be sure -- the above ^^ * infinity.

^2

* itself

* infinity again

* dickballs * infinity^2

Tell me if I'm being too subtle.

Martigen wrote: »
    Morning chaps,
    3. Trying to throw a grenade just as you are about to die never actually explodes.
    Holy dickballs this ^^ * eleventybilliontrillionquadzilliondonutillionbazillionzetabyteillion.

Just to be sure -- the above ^^ * infinity.

^2

* itself

* infinity again

* dickballs * infinity^2

Tell me if I'm being too subtle.

I think they should adjust it to when you die as your grenade is primed, it should explode in place of where you died, makes simple common sense, countless other games feature this.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Does it also explode when we swap to another weapon after its primed? Just to be consistent.
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Does it also explode when we swap to another weapon after its primed? Just to be consistent.

Not sure, maybe nanites attach the pin back to the nade on weapon swap :smiley:

Maybe nanites attach the pin back to the nade on marine death for safety :smiley:.

Maybe nanites attach the pin back to the nade on marine death for safety :smiley:.

Nah, nanites want to win the war against the alien menace! safety smafety, who needs safety when friendly fire isnt even enabled :wink:

Nah, nanites want to win the war against the alien menace! safety smafety, who needs safety when friendly fire isnt even enabled :wink:

Well, lets put it another way. Grenades require nanites to detonate. You get hurt by your own grenades because you used your nanites to detonate the grenade. You can't when you are dead. Nanite logic.

No, seriously. You can have it both ways but at least admit that it is not for consistency or immersion.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester

Say when starting a match and you lay a cyst path, the first placed cyst pops and all the other die.

I'm pretty sure this happens when trying to place one cyst chain immediately after another. E.g. From Atrium, cyst straight to Reactor's RT, then immediately to Crevice's before the first cyst is fully "grown", the cyst chain won't figure out that it's already got acyst in position that it can branch off of, so it will automagically place another one within the unacceptable radius of the first one, killing it and all of the other cysts in that chain.

On a similar note, even if this doesn't happen, the second chain will wait until the first one is fully grown before starting to grow, which is pretty counterintuitive in my mind. Why does a chain going to Crevice depend on the last cyst in the chain to Reactor?