Lack of basic survival tool and how to make it not annoying

Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
I'm talking about the gun of course.

And its not the lack of the deadly weapon that can be manufactured from the beginning that is bad. (btw should be very easy given the tech shown in the game)
It is the lack of explanation why we can't do so.

It just breaks the immersion, it is too illogical.

So I propose simple 1 man-hour fix:
Make a section "deadly weapons" in fabricator console, but if the player tries to activate it the AI voice says that manufacturing of weapons can be authorized only by the Aurora's captain (or in case the player is the captain - by some special officer who definitely has not survived the crash - or authorization by some supreme command is required - anything is good).

Its just does not feel right when we have magic fabricator that can do anything but can't make something as simple as pneumatic needle gun.
And for such advanced civilization it should not be hard to make a hand-held x-ray ray gun (for some particular wavelength the water is transparent while living beings are not).
I'm not asking for deadly raygun, I'm asking for logical in-game explanation why I can't make it :smile:

Comments

• Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited March 2016
    It's not explicit enough. This message mean that custom designed devices are prohibited from being fabricated. Says nothing about the weapons.

The first thing you should do if you are lost in a forest is to make a fire to scare away the predators and try to make a spear that will give you a fighting chance against the predators (quite small though). Without fire and a weapon a human is just a bag of free food for an animal. Animal could kill you because its hungry, because it doesn't like an intruder in its territory or just because killing is fun. That's the Nature's way.

I understand and agree that gameplay wise player should not have deadly weapons, because that would quickly make the game boring.

However we need a direct and visible and logical explanation why can't fabricate a weapon. That would eliminate the issue of lethal weapons.
    All I ask for is permanently unavailable section of fabricator menu and a simple voiceover. That should cost next to nothing to implement.

PS. I apologize for grammar mistakes - English is not my first language
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    I think the visibly unavailable section on the Fabricator menu would led people to believe there is a way to unlock it, and thus be misleading. I get your meaning, but I simply roll with the fact that the character's Survival PDA (which is linked to all Fabricators) isn't loaded with all the blueprints it should have. There was a hidden message in the Habitat update explaining that the PDA the character has was running on factory settings, "vanilla," but it sounds more like a meta explanation of how the game gets new content with each update.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    You know, sometimes I wonder if reliance on the fabricator is entirely to the characters benifit. It is undeniably a useful (and physics defying, but whatever) tool, but it has a lot of limitations that making things conventionally doesn't. Take the growbeds for example. The character has to go way out of their way to find them, when they are really just a box of dirt. To a computer, that may be a complex thing that needs a precise blueprint, but surely a human can make their own without the need for instructions? The same with weapons. Sure, our character may not be able to make a plasma cannon all on their own, but surely a simple spear is not beyond our abilities?
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I do not want lethal weapons in the game. The reason that has been given to me is that only security have lethal weapons on the Aurora, your character is just an engineer. Scientists and engineers only have weapons you can use to escape being harmed. Also weapons like stasis rifles are good for studying fauna and propulsion cannon is a useful tool. Also you can kill almost everything in the game with the sea moths perimeter defence system, all you need to do is charge it up to max. I personally don't want lethal weapons and neither do the devs.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Also the survival life pod templates given to life pods users do not include lethal weapons.
    I do not want lethal weapons in the game. The reason that has been given to me is that only security have lethal weapons on the Aurora, your character is just an engineer. Scientists and engineers only have weapons you can use to escape being harmed. Also weapons like stasis rifles are good for studying fauna and propulsion cannon is a useful tool. Also you can kill almost everything in the game with the sea moths perimeter defence system, all you need to do is charge it up to max. I personally don't want lethal weapons and neither do the devs.

You might consider reading the ENTIRE post and at least skimming the replys....
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    ... Sure, our character may not be able to make a plasma cannon all on their own, but surely a simple spear is not beyond our abilities?

+1 for spear fishing ( pipe + knife + creepvine = spear )
    ...also may deter medium sized preditors who currently are geared to fight to the death.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited March 2016
    "+1 for spear fishing ( pipe + knife + creepvine = spear )"

This makes sense to me. The Stalker can be a real pain when you are just starting a Hardcore game.
    The Stalker are every where, and eat more fish then I do. lol I avoid them like the plague.
    edited March 2016
    I do not want lethal weapons in the game.
    Me neither.
    Have you read the threads title and at least the second line?
    Also the survival life pod templates given to life pods users do not include lethal weapons.
    There have to be in-game logical explanation why is it so.
    Check this out:

naz3.jpg?1384826271
    This is a survival kit from Soyuz landing capsule.
    tumblr_n5mwlwcGM01s2kc2uo1_1280.jpg
    And this is the one from the Apollo. It doesn't have a gun in it because Apollo capsule could not survive landing on the land (unlike the Soyuz that lands on the land). But they still included the machete.
    Splashdown_3.jpg
    Looks familiar?)

I don't see why safety protocols could be changed in the future.

Scientists and engineers only have weapons you can use to escape being harmed
    Not really.
    E.g. my friend works at the pipeline construction and they have rifles with them to protect themselves from the bears, in case they fail to scare them away by smoke torches. Actually about 1 month ago their crew was attacked by the hungry bear. They had to hide inside the pipe where the bear could not get them until the bear went away (the gun was in the truck and the bear appeared between the workers and the truck).
    Somebody is going to be fired for violation of safety procedures.

Pauolo wrote: »
    I think the visibly unavailable section on the Fabricator menu would led people to believe there is a way to unlock it, and thus be misleading.
    Good point. However I think that some sort of mythology about the game can be good. I remember long time ago when we were playing Morrowind there were a lot of rumors about the things that actually were not existing in the game (internet was quite slow back and there were no youtube then so rumors can't be checked that easily) and it was really fun=)

PS. In real life it is impossible to catch a fish with the bare hand. Fish in the water are very quick and grace and slimy. Spear/ harpoon gun for fishing would have made a lot of sense.
    But gameplay-wise it could be an unnecessary complication.

Maybe we can have harpoon gun to be able to hunt stalkers later in the game? Shark steak is quite tasty (I wish they were growing sharks in captivity so we could eat shark meet without feeling guilty about it)
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    subnautica is a game without guns. live with it lol
    edited March 2016
    Deepo wrote: »
    Did you read my post?
    Seriously.
    You are the 2-nd forum member who is making a post in this thread without reading the topic name let alone the first post (or any other post in the thread)
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    edited March 2016
    Deepo wrote: »

Read again the first post, he's not asking for guns in the game, but for an in-game explanation of the lack of guns among the Aurora's standard survival equipment.

@Mr_Endar

What would be logical to have in the escape pod is at least a knife. But still back on guns, frankly I can only see as an explanation that the colonial scientists did not think them useful enough against the planet's creatures, following a study of the fauna prior to the ship's landing. There's still the explanation of the Aurora not being well enough prepared for the mission. Actually, the escape pod is missing a few items from its standard inventory list, including a scanner and a flashlight.
    edited March 2016
    Pauolo wrote: »
    But still back on guns, frankly I can only see as an explanation that the colonial scientists did not think them useful enough against the planet's creatures, following a study of the fauna prior to the ship's landing
    Yes, that can be good explanation - voiceover like "our existing weapon designs do not work underwater since its properties are unknown and fauna characteristics are unknown. you have to use tools creatively instead" - lousy explanation but its at least something.

I still prefer explanation that weapon manufacturing is banned by safety regulations and can be authorized only by captain - who is dead and obviously can't do that. Feels more natural to me)

escape pod is missing a few items from its standard inventory list, including a scanner and a flashlight.
    Yes, but we have a fabricator that can make this things on demand from scrap or raw materials.

That's why it is so annoying - you have the device that can manufacture everything - including other manufacturing devices with greater capabilities - but you can't make good reliable weapon while the environment has tones of predators that will kill you on sight.
    I have to wonder why the fabricator that can make computer chips out if quartz crystals, silver ore, and coral can't purify water.
  • bwoodfieldbwoodfield Canada Join Date: 2016-03-08 Member: 214017Members
    From a security stand point of view the idea of blocking weapons in a replicator/fabricator makes sense. And hostile group would be able to simply acquire one and start pumping out an arsenal. You could then have a regulation on the fabricator like the following:
    "Due to legislation XYZ1234 (space protocol abcd38503, blah blah blah, take your pick) no fabricator may be programmed to produce weapons of lethal intent."
    bwoodfield wrote: »
    From a security stand point of view the idea of blocking weapons in a replicator/fabricator makes sense. And hostile group would be able to simply acquire one and start pumping out an arsenal. You could then have a regulation on the fabricator like the following:
    "Due to legislation XYZ1234 (space protocol abcd38503, blah blah blah, take your pick) no fabricator may be programmed to produce weapons of lethal intent."

That would make some sense, but it seems to me that their are a lot of lethal tools that, while very useful in out current situation, are not exactly the makings of an insurrection. A spear gun for example, would be pretty useless for fighting people with any sort of equipment at all. Granted, sometimes laws are dumb like that.

For instance, many laws regarding hobby aircraft in the United States treat a 1/2 pound foam airplane and a 3 meter rocket exactly the same.
    bwoodfield wrote: »
    Great idea! Better than mine.
    I have to wonder why the fabricator that can make computer chips out if quartz crystals, silver ore, and coral can't purify water.
    Well we don't know how the fabricator works)
    I wonder though why does it needs coral to make a chip? Afaik calcium is not used in electronics.

PS. I have been thinking a lot how the fabricator works. It have to perform 4 separate functions:
    1) disassemble objects that you put in it (crush mechanically, melt, dissolve in acid, etc.);
    2) reduce oxides of elements to get metals/non-metals required object fabrication (most likely through electrolysis, seems the most universal way to me);
    3) separate and store the useful metals/compound you get during step 2 (and dump the rest);
    4) 3d print an object using the stuff you have created during step 3 with extreme speed and precision without source wire or dust filler.
    And fit all of these into small box. Marvelous device.
  • IronSquid501IronSquid501 Australia Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214480Members
    Aurora Security likely used the Stasis Rifles to incapacitate their quarry before carrying them off to the brig. Also, given that one of the first things I read after making food for the first time mentioned that future Humans eat synthetic food, find natural meat "disgusting," and don't enjoy killing animals suggests that lethal weapons are all but gone in the far future.
    Aurora Security likely used the Stasis Rifles to incapacitate their quarry before carrying them off to the brig. Also, given that one of the first things I read after making food for the first time mentioned that future Humans eat synthetic food, find natural meat "disgusting," and don't enjoy killing animals suggests that lethal weapons are all but gone in the far future.

That seems unlikely. If we assume that in this universe humans are part of a larger interstellar community of species, then that is not at all a secure position to be in. Unless the fundemental nature of humans has changed, then there would still be lethal weapons. Pacifism only works if everyone is a pacifist- and that will never be the case.
  • IronSquid501IronSquid501 Australia Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214480Members
    That seems to be the case, however, at least aboard a mining survey vessel like the Aurora. Perhaps humans have stockpiled weapons in armouries on far off worlds, but again - This is a mining survey vessel carrying nothing of value save for some sensor equipment & exploration vehicles.
    That seems to be the case, however, at least aboard a mining survey vessel like the Aurora. Perhaps humans have stockpiled weapons in armouries on far off worlds, but again - This is a mining survey vessel carrying nothing of value save for some sensor equipment & exploration vehicles.

I would buy that, or at least that they were carrying few enough weapons that they could all have been totally destroyed in the crash. However, it still seems to me that anyone with any sense would have programmed a survival fabricator with SOME form of lethal gun. Weather you are stranded on land or in the sea, you survival chances immediately go way up if you can shoot something for food or defense.

Perhaps who or whatever shot down the Aurora corrupted the fabricator database for weaponry? That would of course depend a lot on the story when it comes out, but it would make sense.
    edited March 2016
    However, it still seems to me that anyone with any sense would have programmed a survival fabricator with SOME form of lethal gun
    Exactly the reason I've started this topic =)

I can't think of a catastrophic event that would damage a hard drive the way that it will destroy one and only one file in it and let the rest intact)
    Also, given that one of the first things I read after making food for the first time mentioned that future Humans eat synthetic food, find natural meat "disgusting," and don't enjoy killing animals suggests that lethal weapons are all but gone in the far future.
    Humans in Star Track TNG are the absolute pacifist, but nevertheless they have a huge fleet armed to the teeth.

I would gladly switch from eating beef/pork/etc. to the same quality meat grown in a bioreactor (I don't like idea of killing animals, but we have no other options).
    And it doesn't make me a pacifist.
    I meant that whoever shot the ship down deliberately destroyed the files for weaponry.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Well,dont look at the lore,look at real life.The dev team already said the reason for no weapons and the "fabricators can only build pre set stuff" so they probably will add in a reason.

So the "whoever shot down the aurora deleted our guns" thing is probably pretty far fetched.
  • KorrosiveKorrosive Canada Join Date: 2016-03-20 Member: 214550Members
    I agree with the OP in that there should be some form of self-defence other than a rather lame knife. Guns wouldn't work under water but a spear gun would satisfy my lust for revenge on the Stalkers. My first encounter with one was during a late-night swim and I'm still a little freaked...

That being said, would a spear-gun blueprint be a logical thing to have on a spaceship? About as logical as a reinforced skin diving suit, I guess...
    I for one would like to see this mounted on seamoth.
    [/yt4n71y7g36k.jpg
    spoiler]
    I for one would like to see this mounted on seamoth.
    [/yt4n71y7g36k.jpg
    spoiler]

That's not going to have very good range underwater.
    When the reaper is in my face, eating my seamoth it would work. B)
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    im pretty sure its not the lifepod that doesnt allow weapons to be made, its because it is linked to the PDA your character has and it got fully reprogrammed for the situation. and it didnt have a weapon blueprint on the PDA.

which would also explain why you need to scan things instead of it coming with the PDA.