Vanilla Draft Tournament(Hosted by ensl.org)

YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
CjhNO9W.jpg

After the death of both CompMod and NSLMod(made by dragon) this morning. We'd like to show the entire NS2 community the importance of mods like Compmod, NS2+, NSLMod or any other mod.

For those that are not aware of what NSLMod is, here is a quick summary of some important features:
    • Ready/unready before match start(no longer on both teams having commander)
    • Pause (for when players crash and have to get back in)
    • our anti-cheat which caught someone with aim assist earlier this year.
    • Setting up server permissions through the ensl.org API instead of a server config
    • many small things like setting team names, score, max of 6 players on a team(in official mode), etc

To show this, there will be a tournament that is 100% vanilla NS2, to show the balance, gameplay and other things NS2 is lacking and modders fix. To see how much Comp mod changed about NS2, go here

eNSL.org is hosting a Vanilla Draft Tournament tonight and tomorrow night.
    This tournament will be played without ANY mods(no NS2+, no NSLmod, no compmod, looking at turning off all clientside mods by means of consistency check including crosshairs). For the real vanilla experience.

The tournament will start tonight at 7 PM CET on the ensl.org teamspeak(address = ensl.org) in the channel close to the top called "Vanilla Draft Tournament" and under that the "Player Lobby".
    The tournament is open to ANYONE to join, just show up if you sign up please:)

Format:
    Tonight: Picking of teams and round robin matches
    Tomorrow: Replacing missing members with substitutes and playoffs.

If you are unable to play today, you can come to teamspeak tomorrow at 7 PM CET so you are able to be picked as substitute for playoffs. If you can only play today, that is fine too.

And again, this is for ALL skill levels, don't worry about being bad or too good. We have captains that will handle team balance:)

HERE IS THE SIGNUP LINK: http://goo.gl/forms/b0MRQcM8UJ

Comments

• IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
      Tomorrow Dies Irae will be having a PCW against funnybubblers at 19:00 CET, and kaamos at 20:15 CET. I might be streaming it at twitch.tv/thesingingskulk - While Dies Irae is new, kaamos and funnybubblers is not. That should help to show the impact of these recently deceased mods. If the mods decide not to watch these PCWs, i hope they might watch some other PCWs.
    • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
      I'll be streaming my POV of the draft tournament. Haven't played without NS2+ in 3 years, pretty sure there will be some rage. twitch.tv/gold_n
    • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
      Golden wrote: »
      I'll be streaming my POV of the draft tournament. Haven't played without NS2+ in 3 years, pretty sure there will be some rage. twitch.tv/gold_n

Yeah, will be weird having to play without goldenmode.
    • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
      CCTEE wrote: »
      So you organise a tournament to show 'the world' how shit vanilla NS2 is for comp play / how naughty UWE is.

How would you define succes for this event? If it goes like shit or if it goes great and players have a good time?

Anyhow, even if i had time i would pass for this. #toomuchdrama
      Maybe the success is measured in the awareness it creates? But yea I agree #toomuchdrama
    • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
      http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2261350/#Comment_2261350

Concerns not considered. Modders left in a void. Modder morale at an all time low because of a company that supposedly "cares deeply" about mods are just not listening.

Without mods ns2 is worse off.
    • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
      So you organise a tournament to show 'the world' how shit vanilla NS2 is for comp play / how naughty UWE is.

How would you define succes for this event? If it goes like shit or if it goes great and players have a good time?

Anyhow, even if i had time i would pass for this. #toomuchdrama

I'm just guessing here, but considering they're playing without NS2+, it's more about mods than it is about comp itself. I mean, they can't play with NSL/Compmod if they wanted, but they can play with NS2+ and they chose not to... so I'm guessing that's the point.

But just guessing here.
    • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
      Its awareness of the mods in general.
    • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
      This mini tourney will give me cancer... but lets do it. How about we all play on max settings for #MaximumImmersion

I know Cr4zy will do it.
    • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
      joshhh wrote: »
      This mini tourney will give me cancer... but lets do it. How about we all play on max settings for #MaximumImmersion

I know Cr4zy will do it.

I got cancer the last time.
      joshhh wrote: »

I know Cr4zy will do it.

If your PC can handle that, why not? I know mine can't :smile:
    • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
      Don't forget Shine!
    • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
      looking at turning off all clientside mods by means of consistency check including crosshairs

Crosshairs are by default not consistency checked along with AV etc
      Changing default settings wouldn't really be "vanilla".. esp considering how rarely that's been done over the years.
    • loMeloMe PA Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194387Members
      edited March 2016
      Going live soon:

Watch several streams @ Twitch

I would guess player retention.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
      I dont know whats the point of this tourney is.

You want to prove that the vanilla balance is off?
      Well, you used comp mod for a reason i think

You want to prove that this game need comp mod after XDragon left and UWE had to revert there changes on how mods get handled?

How about contacting the devs like obraxis mentioned here?
      http://www.ensl.org/topics/1650#post_21215
      But instead you prefer the drama.

Its just amazing that we play a game wich is very moddable but in the end its the Devs fault if a group of players cant find a consensuses about what has to be changed for a specific mod and cant find a new modder after one left.
      Its not UWE who are killing the comp scene, you are killing it by yourself.
    • paskiainenjantunenpaskiainenjantunen Join Date: 2013-06-26 Member: 185704Members, Reinforced - Supporter
      edited March 2016
      dePARA wrote: »
      I dont know whats the point of this tourney is.

You want to prove that the vanilla balance is off?

You want to prove that this game need comp mod after XDragon left and UWE had to revert there changes on how mods get handled?

How about contacting the devs like obraxis mentioned here?
      http://www.ensl.org/topics/1650#post_21215
      But instead you prefer the drama.

Its just amazing that we play a game wich is very moddable but in the end its the Devs fault if a group of players cant find a consensuses about what has to be changed for a specific mod and cant find a new modder after one left.
      Its not UWE who are killing the comp scene, you are killing it by yourself.

Shouldn't be so that when devs decide they want to make their game very modding friendly that every patch coming out every week breaks them all.

With normal crosshairs or not vanilla is still fucking unplayable. I can not see in vanilla I can not see
    • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
      edited March 2016
      Game number 1.

No ready, live on hive. (Nsl mod)
      Spawn facing the wrong direction on map. (Nsl mod)
      Silence/Camo mix with gorge aura for OP engagements. (compmod)
      No gorge bhop making it a gimp lifeform. (compmod)
      No crosshairs. (no mods)
      Performance issues .(ns2+ particle effects and low lights)
      Can't see accuracy, sdmg, pdmg, build time, tech route, RT graph, Kill graph, med pack acc%. (ns2+)
      No hit sounds (ns2+)
      Can't have lifeform / faction specific sensitivies (ns2+)
      Can't have faction specific FoV (ns2+)
      No pause (nsl mod)
      No admin kicks (shine)
      Holograms obscuring vision (ns2+)
      No HP numbers (ns2+)
      Fast lerk egg (compmod)
      10 MINUTE CONCEDE
    • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
      All these features are bugged after each update ? (real question)
      Tinki wrote: »

All mods have to be updated after a patch, yes.
    • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
      edited March 2016
      Yaluzan wrote: »

Just to clarify this. No, not all mods have to be updated after every patch. Most of my own mods haven't been updated specially for a ns2 update since over half a year.
      Yaluzan wrote: »

Just to clarify this. No, not all mods have to be updated after every patch. Most of my own mods haven't been updated specially for a ns2 update since over half a year.

NSLmod / comp mod need constant updates, ofc some are excluded from having to be updated(like crosshairs among others)
    • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
      Wob wrote: »
      Game number 1.

No ready, live on hive. (Nsl mod)
      Spawn facing the wrong direction on map. (Nsl mod)
      Silence/Camo mix with gorge aura for OP engagements. (compmod)
      No gorge bhop making it a gimp lifeform. (compmod)
      No crosshairs. (no mods)
      Performance issues .(ns2+ particle effects and low lights)
      Can't see accuracy, sdmg, pdmg, build time, tech route, RT graph, Kill graph, med pack acc%. (ns2+)
      No hit sounds (ns2+)
      Can't have lifeform / faction specific sensitivies (ns2+)
      Can't have faction specific FoV (ns2+)
      No pause (nsl mod)
      No admin kicks (shine)
      Holograms obscuring vision (ns2+)
      No HP numbers (ns2+)
      Fast lerk egg (compmod)
      10 MINUTE CONCEDE

Iirc hit sounds are in vanilla, you just have to turn up the sound right?

And custom crosshairs?? Please, you put that on yourselves guys - ccrosshairs have been in the game forever, it's definitely not uwe's fault.

No ready/live and pause are also things that you don't actually want in vanilla. What use are these in pub games? These should stay as a separate mod.

Not saying the rest are not legitimate grievances, just saying lets target the rage appropriately here boys.
    • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
      SantaClaws wrote: »

And custom crosshairs?? Please, you put that on yourselves guys - ccrosshairs have been in the game forever, it's definitely not uwe's fault.

No ready/live and pause are also things that you don't actually want in vanilla. What use are these in pub games? These should stay as a separate mod.

Not saying the rest are not legitimate grievances, just saying lets target the rage appropriately here boys.

Vanilla hitsound exists yes, however the sound sucks.

Crosshairs sure whatever we can probably ignore that, but it's not vanilla without vanilla.

Ready/Pause are not in a mod right now, because UWE have made the implementation a pos and the upkeep is not something the modder wants to keep having to deal with because it breaks each time.
      It should be in the game under a tournament mode setting that servers can select, this is how it is for other good competitive games, even NS1 had tournament mode.

Why should it be up to the community to keep fixing things, when the things UWE are doing actively break it and then fail to respond or help in any meaningful way.
      SantaClaws wrote: »

Vanilla hitsound exists yes, however the sound sucks.

Crosshairs sure whatever we can probably ignore that, but it's not vanilla without vanilla.

Ready/Pause are not in a mod right now, because UWE have made the implementation a pos and the upkeep is not something the modder wants to keep having to deal with because it breaks each time.
      It should be in the game under a tournament mode setting that servers can select, this is how it is for other good competitive games, even NS1 had tournament mode.

Why should it be up to the community to keep fixing things, when the things UWE are doing actively break it and then fail to respond or help in any meaningful way.
      You can edit vanilla hitsounds locally like you can edit crosshairs afaik. I agree the default suck, and I rely on ns2+ as well for my dystopia sounds. But technically, the support for it is right there.

I feel you with the upkeep. I was against the rapid iteration from when it was announced. But the alternative is that you have UWE dictate the tools of the competitive format. I think that is best left with the community, both in theory and as history tells us; in practice.
    • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
      edited March 2016
      To sum things up:
      xDragon has send his questions to the wrong channel, getting no answer (well, he was in the wrong channel) and yelling "noone is answering me, im out".
      After that obraxis posted this in the ensl forum:
      "Let's have clear communication. The questions you've asked deserve answers and although I'm not a programmer, you can either PM any of us on Discord or if you'd like, email me at scott[at]naturalselection2.com and I'll start a discussion with the programmers."

And what is the answer to this?
      http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140907/so-the-aids-tourney-end
      And ALOT of drama.
      So instead of investing time to make things clear, you invest time in a useless tournament.
      The only result of this is:
      You lose 2 days and more from now if you continue with the drama instead of doing what Obraxis mentioned.

But its the Devs fault for sure that the modder is sitting in the wrong channel and that you cant play a few days vanilla till things sorted out.