Remove Support for D3D9

RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
I am in no way a computer wiz and seeing this card scared me a little. After the H2O update it is in my comprehension that the -force-d3d9 neat little trick is the reason that i can continue to play this game. does this mean that once this is removed i will not be able to play the game anymore?

for those wondering what i am referring to, this is the card i found on Trello boards: Remove support for D3D9

Comments

• TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    DO NOT REMOVE DX9 SUPPORT PLEASE...

Seriously not everyone has the money to buy new hardware this move if carried out will destroy my ability to play this game and make my investment in it a waste of time.

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The experimental branch on Steam contains a possible fix for some AMD card owners having to using the -force-d3d9 command line. We'll be doing more testing on this and putting out a patch into the main branch soon. The reason that I suggested D3D9 for those users is because I had to disable a feature to get D3D9 to work and I suspected the same feature may be causing issues with certain AMD cards. Disabling the feature isn't really a solution and I'm going to be working on a proper fix for all users.

The reason we're considering removing D3D9 support is that it adds extra support work for us and prevents us from including features and optimizations that would make the game better on D3D11. Although it's not explicitly stated, a machine that can only run D3D9 is below the minimum system requirements. You'd have to either be running Windows XP or using a graphics card which is less powerful than the Intel HD 4600. Basically your system would have to be almost 10 years old, and it's unlikely you'd be able to play the game at any acceptable frame rate.

Removing D3D9 support isn't imminent. We have the data from the Steam Hardware survey (3.26% of all Steam users are D3D9 only), but we'll also conduct our own survey of Subnautica players before we take any action to make sure this isn't affecting our players. I'd be interested to hear more from players who are playing the game on machines that only have D3D9 capabilities.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    thank you Max for your input on this matter, its appreciated :p
    I'm running a Radeon HD 6800 so not sure just how old it is but basically it will not do DX11 although I have the drivers and files installed for it the card does not handle it, so your going to kill this game for me and a lot of other people, I really hope you re-consider the game looks brilliant already just focus on adding content rather than working toward reducing your player base.

I'm sure this will be the last time I ever buy something early access it never occurred to me that during development the game would go from working to not working on my hardware :( leasson learned.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited January 2016
    @Taiphoz ive got the very same card you do i think (Radeon HD 6870) and neither can i run dx11 it seems. being on the same boat as you im sad as well that i could technicly loose the ability to play this game should the dx9 support end.

But thinking on it its pretty logical that new games requires more powerful cards, specially this game being so beautiful visually. Wer old coots that needs to get younger if we wanna be able to play in the kid's playgrounds :D Ive got the message and ill start saving money for a better card. itll take time but it needs to be done it seems

@Max on my videocard box it does say Full DirectX 11 support. Technically then it seems i could play games that uses that but visibly with my recent problems running the game without the -force-d3d9 thing it looks like i cant, i am a bit confused ...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Um, the HD6870 has support for DX11 lads

It's down to the HD5xxx series from ATI that supports DX11 and below, older than the 5000 series and you will lack support for DX11

I'm running a HD5870 and have no issues in DX11 games
    Rainstorms issue will probably be the same as mine mine is the 6850 but AMD no longer support cards that old and the drivers are locked in time in a state that does not really understand the new OS, either that or its the other hardware in the computer possibly the motherboard that does not support DX11 in my case.

Either way if this happens I would need to spend over £200 to be able to play the game again and that's simply something I cannot afford, buying the game itself was a stretch never mind upgrading my hardware, so I know this sounds a bit ranty but this news has totally crushed me.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Taiphoz wrote: »
    Rainstorms issue will probably be the same as mine mine is the 6850 but AMD no longer support cards that old and the drivers are locked in time in a state that does not really understand the new OS, either that or its the other hardware in the computer possibly the motherboard that does not support DX11 in my case.

Either way if this happens I would need to spend over £200 to be able to play the game again and that's simply something I cannot afford, buying the game itself was a stretch never mind upgrading my hardware, so I know this sounds a bit ranty but this news has totally crushed me.

Seems to be an issue with AMD/Ati cards, which can be fixed for now by using that -force-d3d9 command line. They made a booboo :tongue:

However that doesn't mean by removing support for DX9, we (down to HD5000 series), cannot play the game anymore as we clearly have support for DX11. the commandline is just a temporary fix when using the experimental branch. @Max said he's working on a fix :)
    edited January 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Seems to be an issue with AMD/Ati cards, which can be fixed for now by using that -force-d3d9 command line. They made a booboo :tongue:

However that doesn't mean by removing support for DX9, we (down to HD5000 series), cannot play the game anymore as we clearly have support for DX11. the commandline is just a temporary fix when using the experimental branch. Max said he's working on a fix :)

im relieved to hear this. looks like youll be good also taiphoz :p i guess we'll just have to wait and see

Nah when I open DX-Diag it shows that my display is only using DX9 something with my hardware is not allowing the card to use DX11 so I'm screwed.

• raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    edited January 2016
    having myself radeon hd5870 (yh, ages old now) for pointer yes it can support dx11, and yes it plays quite fluently most of new games too:D (witcher 3 actually was 1st game of 2015(there wasnt any before this),and to this date that exceeded this cards limits)
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    Sigh, it goes without saying that removing -force-d3d9 support will also scuttle linux users trying to play via wine... Although removing -force-opengl support had this on the ropes already.

Of course this is a moot point if there is a native linux version coming soon. :)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I'm running a Radeon HD 6800 so not sure just how old it is but basically it will not do DX11 although I have the drivers and files installed for it the card does not handle it, so your going to kill this game for me and a lot of other people, I really hope you re-consider the game looks brilliant already just focus on adding content rather than working toward reducing your player base.

I'm sure this will be the last time I ever buy something early access it never occurred to me that during development the game would go from working to not working on my hardware :( leasson learned.

As I mentioned before, this is not an imminent change and it's something we'll gather more information about before doing. If there's a reason why our customers need D3D9 we'll keep it. What operating system are you using? If you are using Windows Vista, then you need a free update from Microsoft to unlock D3D11 capabilities.
    Sigh, it goes without saying that removing -force-d3d9 support will also scuttle linux users trying to play via wine... Although removing -force-opengl support had this on the ropes already.

Of course this is a moot point if there is a native linux version coming soon. :)
    The -force-opengl should be working, we use it frequently to help test OSX (since we don't have many OSX playtesters).
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    edited January 2016
    -force-opengl gives a solid White screen (my correction)

I found this on the Unity3D forum...
    [-force-opengl][5.2] Cant load shaders

Apparently since Unity 5.2 OpenGL isn't supported by default... it would need to be re-enabled.

There's more about this on the other thread.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/138018/subnautica-on-linux-via-wine
  • spacegoatspacegoat Grecce Join Date: 2016-01-17 Member: 211559Members
    Hi everyone

Well I don't have a Radeon gpu, but my "high-end calculator" can only run Subnautica via the -force-d3d9 command since the new graphics.

I know I don't meet the minimum req. I have a Nvidia GT 240M which doesn't support DX11 but i can play and enjoy the game so far.

What i can't understand is why is either DX9 or DX11 options, What happened to DX10? Sorry I don't know much about that stuff..

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    For any of you who have a card that is DX11 compatible, but it is not working, you can send the team some debug info that can help them get DX11 working. Step by step instructions can be found here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403087864

Thanks!
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    How do we see if our card is DX11 compatible?
    spacegoat wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Well I don't have a Radeon gpu, but my "high-end calculator" can only run Subnautica via the -force-d3d9 command since the new graphics.

I know I don't meet the minimum req. I have a Nvidia GT 240M which doesn't support DX11 but i can play and enjoy the game so far.

What i can't understand is why is either DX9 or DX11 options, What happened to DX10? Sorry I don't know much about that stuff..
    A D3D10 GPU is usable with D3D11. This is called D3D11 feature level 10. It doesn't support shader model 5, but other than that the feature set is quite similar. This means that compute shaders are not available, but compute shaders won't be a requirement for Subnautica because they're not available on OSX.

I'm not completely sure yet why -force-d3d9 is helping some people play the game, but I would say that's completely separate from any discussion of a long term plan to remove D3D9 support. Basically if adding that to your command line changes anything, that means that the engine is detecting your systems is D3D11 capable and using that by default. Once we figure out and address the compatibility issue introduced with the H2.0 update that should not be necessary.
    thank you Max and Coprox on your outgoing updated comments on this subject. i dont know for everyone else but im very pleased that you devs take the time to come here and explain things to us instead of letting us out cold in the dark :D

• spacegoatspacegoat Grecce Join Date: 2016-01-17 Member: 211559Members
    Thanks Max,

I agree with Rainstorm you guys are awesome.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    -force-dx11 drastically improved my game at launch and playing. At first it loaded slow and would lag terribly, now it's smooth and epic!
  • FaZe_LegendFaZe_Legend Macedonia Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211672Members
    Hello everyone, i'm new here. i want to say that everytime i open the game using -force-d3d9 i got stuck at the loading screen, can anyone help me?
    here are my laptop specs:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Intel Core i7 2670QM
    4GB RAM
    465 GB Storage
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Italy Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211744Members
    Posted this on Steam but seeing as it's relevant, I'll copy it here:

After implementing the d3d9 the game ran at quite high settings with minimal lag on the following PC:

Intel Duo Core E8400
    Radeon HD 4650 1 Giga
    6 gigs RAM

Lowering resolution helps but mostly disabling bloom via the F3 button menu - please please don't do away with the tweaking options - I was able to put the textures to the maximum and the game runs pretty smoothly even at max resolution, and that's a pretty rubbish GPU we're talking about.

Anyway I love this game, great work on keeping system demands relatively low. Please keep the option to tweak available as it means widening the pool of potential customers (especially in Southern Europe where people have older PCs as a rule)

Congratulations for the great effort, I don't like many games but this one rules!
    Just don't do it, the art style and quality is perfect there is no need to push it further when you could be spending that extra art time on adding game content and features rather than cutting out part of your community.
    edited January 2016
    -force-dx11 drastically improved my game at launch and playing. At first it loaded slow and would lag terribly, now it's smooth and epic!

I did notice this as well on my HD5870 1Gb, however it crashed after 10-15 seconds ingame. BUT it now hard crashes my entire PC locking up completely (GPU), forcing me to do a reset :(

I did notice this as well on my HD5870 1Gb, however it crashed after 10-15 seconds ingame. BUT it now hard crashes my entire PC locking up completely (GPU), forcing me to do a reset :(
    This should now be fixed.
    Just don't do it, the art style and quality is perfect there is no need to push it further when you could be spending that extra art time on adding game content and features rather than cutting out part of your community.
    It's not just about improving the graphics, it's also about fixing bugs and improving performance.

The thing I'm really trying to understand is whether or not this would actually cut out any part of our community. For example, your card the HD6850 definitely is capable of running DX11 as long as you're not using Windows XP. I have a HD6850 in my computer right now.
    edited January 2016
    Max wrote: »

This should now be fixed.

tumblr_mcmx6ojACu1qim2ju.gif

I concur! It's not crashing, that's awesome @Max!

I have a HD6850 in my computer right now.

Hmm, I just compared that one to my HD5870 and I'm so confused as to why a newer series actually has less raw power.. What did they do to the 6000series :o

http://www.hwcompare.com/5915/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-6850/
    http://www.hwcompare.com/6023/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-6870/
    http://www.hwcompare.com/12258/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-7870/ <-- also not that impressive :worried:

But yeah, down to 5000series can run DX11 as already mentioned on Vista+ :)
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    It's not just about improving the graphics, it's also about fixing bugs and improving performance.

The thing I'm really trying to understand is whether or not this would actually cut out any part of our community. For example, your card the HD6850 definitely is capable of running DX11 as long as you're not using Windows XP. I have a HD6850 in my computer right now.

Hmmm tried it and can load a game save or start a new game but after 5 minutes in game my game freezes, goes black and then to white screen and gives me the not responding issue. This is on the current experimental build and my GPU is a AMD HD 6770 1 gig.
  • TooCoolForStoolTooCoolForStool mr.jwillis@gmail.com Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211793Members
    Hmm, I just compared that one to my HD5870 and I'm so confused as to why a newer series actually has less raw power.. What did they do to the 6000series :o

http://www.hwcompare.com/5915/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-6850/
    http://www.hwcompare.com/6023/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-6870/
    http://www.hwcompare.com/12258/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-7870/ <-- also not that impressive :worried:

Its because between 5000 and 6000 series AMD changed the number schemes. 6000 series had a huge reduction in power consumption, which was primarily for the drive towards mobility, than pure power. Higher nomenclatures of the 6 and 7 series are the beefier cards. Basically, 6850 is not an upgrade from a 5850 like you might think. It's closer to say 5850 - 6950 is the real upgrade path.