Dear UWE, what are you doing.

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Fire Hugh and give his budget to currently unpaid CDT members, or reimburse some very important people that have lent a lot of their time to furthering the awesomeness of NS2. What has he done other than make a couple of posts of rambling that ultimately amount to nothing?
    Feels like he orchestrated the disbanding of the CDT and the UWE re-takeover ultimately to justify another paycheck for, err, project management, of which there doesnt really seem to be any going on.

https://trello.com/b/uFv64kH6/ns2-development-team/member/strayan
    He's doin stuff.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Stuff like making a graph that takes advantage of holiday player counts to look like a player count objective was reached?
  • RailoRailo Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62925Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    Edited for totally needless personal attacks.
    edited January 2016
    I'd like to point out and thank those involved in that the activity on the Trello board has picked up. Things were moved to be in what I assume is their rightful place now (and ghoul even set up a mini-board for his project), and are being updated.

Many thanks to all of the team! Would like this to continue.

Some things of Note:
    Hive2 is in "Doing" now (also, *cough cough, wishlist? cough cough*)!
    Apply Pressure to Beige for the tutorial card!
    b280 (which server ops were given a headsup about this week, so the communication isn't all lacking.
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    @Loki As you may or may not know, I am a fan of doors
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Weldable/smashable doors as secondary objectives? :open_mouth:
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    One of NS2's facets I most enjoy consuming is the optimism of what's possible if a few things develop. I don't even claim to know exactly what those things are (I know no one has a crystal ball). And I recognize that some of the same people who keep bitching used to hold that optimism, and I accept that I might lose it one day.

But it's really, really fun watching people who are passionately invested in a thing offer it the best of their talents collaboratively, and it feels really, really good watching that energy continue to flow despite being told not to. Like.. super fun.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    edited January 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    But as just another player, I have to ask: why is the time line so important to you? Do you believe NS2 couldn't get another wave of Rookies again in the future once it was ready to receive them properly?

When I buy a game, it has left beta. NS2 did so.

I like wager my purchases. Like Doom, Quake, Half-Life and games that sell as pay once games, these are the products I buy.

You(UWE) have developed skins, maps, updated the engine, but you also have changed the game drastically from day one. My day 1. Not Alpha, Not Beta, but the release.

"Why is the time line so important to you???"

Because you're going to ask for money again. and again, and again... It's very frustrating to meet someone who either ignores this perspective or doesn't understand it. Oh right, something to do with UWE needs money and is a company and so on???

So yeah, communication problems...
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    edited January 2016
    Don't you think the retoric of me being the only one is old by now IronHorse?

Do you still believe I am? I surely do not, nor will I ever believe that I'm that different to be the ONLY one.
    This thread isn't about me.

What's DLC? : The maps? The features? The skins?
    What is considered DLC verses the Game itself?
    Should I consider everything after Nov/12 release DLC?

Should I consider everything after reinforcement took place DLC? Lets have this conversation if you want it, but seeing eye to eye on this is not probable. I think we've concluded this before... So, I'm shocked that you would press me.

Again, this thread isn't about me and I don't intend to "derail" it.

This(thread) is about you(UWE) and not me. I am not special. I'm just the one who thinks as I do and that cares enough to speak up. You've been throwing me down every chance you get. I may deserve some attention for a bit of my rudeness...

There is plenty lacking in the communication with UWE that I did not bring up this time. I couldn't ignore this thread.
    I've played NS1, and such is the only reason why you've heard a peep from me instead of just silence. I came in during nov/12 release and was here before DLC...I can remember what the game was before, as a consumer.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    3X4L7 wrote: »
    Because you're going to ask for money again. and again, and again... It's very frustrating to meet someone who either ignores this perspective or doesn't understand it.
    Have you actually met anyone who does understand your perspective on disliking optional DLC??..

Its not hard to understand his perspective. He thinks skins are a competitive advantage and are basically pay to win.

Agreeing with him is a whole other matter of course. I mean, as far as I'm aware, nobody has agreed with him and he has started threads on steam/reddit/ensl/here.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Aeglos wrote: »
    3X4L7 wrote: »
    Because you're going to ask for money again. and again, and again... It's very frustrating to meet someone who either ignores this perspective or doesn't understand it.
    Have you actually met anyone who does understand your perspective on disliking optional DLC??..

Its not hard to understand his perspective. He thinks skins are a competitive advantage and are basically pay to win.

Agreeing with him is a whole other matter of course. I mean, as far as I'm aware, nobody has agreed with him and he has started threads on steam/reddit/ensl/here.

In the meantime this question will come up again as soon as the reg bug is fixed.... wait... never mind.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    In the meantime this question will come up again as soon as the reg bug is fixed.... wait... never mind.

We're hoping to put in Dragon's workaround-fix for this soon.

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    What happened to Sabot anyway? was it abandoned? is it still being made? seriously, Locklear is right, CAN we have it please?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You had it, and it was so unused and broken that it was removed
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    SamusDroid wrote: »

But if it is broken, then that explains why it was unused... but, fixing it should be on the agenda, because it is a good idea and should be in the game.

Oh, was this the original "Play now"?

I agree that this would be nice, like supernice.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was the "organized play"
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

It was unused due to being too broken, please.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    With how it was talked up in that blog post locklear quoted, it seemed like it was only ever half done. Even if it functioned properly it did not live up to the hype of that blog post.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »
    Can we have this yet?
    Hugh wrote:

Organisedplaysystems-596x370.jpg

Since launch, NS2 has kept on getting better and better. Gorgeous and Build 242 are the highlights, but features, fixes, and improvements have been being steadily added. One big feature we hope to add in a few months is a comprehensive organised play system.

What would such a system look like? How would it work? What is an organised play system actually trying to achieve? Instead of starting with specifics, such as examples of systems, we decided to think about organised play on first-principles. What are the key entities in organised play and how do they interact? Our initial answer to that question is the following diagram:

CoreSystemDiagram-600x127.jpg

On the left side, the player is the most granular entity in the system. On the right side, a competition is the most complex entity. Competitions could be leagues, tournaments, or a simple two-team ‘clan war.’ They are invariable composed of one or more matches, which are a sequence of one or more games. For example, a match may be a best of five contest. Games are played by a set of teams, made up of players. Facilitating the interaction of these five key entities is the primary objective of an organised play system.

Starting with these basic entities, it is possible to think about the ancillary entities and relationships that can go along with them. For example, casters, player profiles, automatically assigned servers, and more. Adding these entities to a diagram starts to get messy, as the following incomplete draft one shows:

Diagram1-600x337.jpg

Assigning casters to matches, building team profiles, reporting game results to competitions and more: All of this from within inside the game. Right now we are at the planning stage, but the possibilities are exciting. NS2 is best played in an organised manner, a reflection of its Real-Time-Strategy core nature. When this system is built, finding such play will get a whole lot easier.

Importantly, the system is being designed as a tool and not a competition in and of itself. ‘Official’ competitions could be added to it, but in all but name they will act in the same way as competitions added by regular players. Rather than force any particular type of play on players, the system aims to be the tool that allows people to create whatever play they want.

The system is tentatively code-named ‘Sabot’ – Because giving things names makes them just that much more awesome.

As much as I like fancy graphs, I would like them even more if there was some substance behind it, how long has it been now? The pressure is on if there still is a 3 month deadline, some people's livelihoods are on the line more so than others :anguished:
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't even need a in game system for 6v6's, just add a link to the gather page and that would do the trick, it's the easiest solution.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alite wrote: »
    Don't even need a in game system for 6v6's, just add a link to the gather page and that would do the trick, it's the easiest solution.

Listen, here's the issue with that: UWE don't control gathers, so they'll never do that.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

That thing was barely anything. It was like a placeholder with buttons. Saying you "had it" is pretty unfair lol.