NS2 build 276 : Bug report

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Pls only report bug that are related only to 276 only.
I'm sure the CDT team already have a list list for earlier versions.

HalfCrash on local server
I have a one that didn't happened on 275 or before.

Launch the game, create a local server and join a team.

The game "half crashes". It means you get back to desktop with the crash panel asking for sending datas (it's broken by the way). But the NS2.exe is still running and you can get back to it. Of course if you disconnect from your local server it hangs and you have to kill the process.

It only happened on a local server and i could play online normally .

DX11
DX11 should probably be removed.
In 275 is was making shadows flickering. Compared to 275 shadows are flickering more.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    I am unable to reproduce the half crash after multiple attempts.
    Please run your techsupport.exe with NS2 still open/ crashed to generate a dump zip file - and make a video of your crash if possible.

DX11 is still labeled as BETA , appropriately, use at your own risk ;)
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Just saying, he's talking about a different thing than the ominous server half crash.

What he got is a ns2 that says it crashed (with that useless critical error window) but didn't really. Or at least not fully. You can switch back to it and it apparently works. I remember having that a long time ago.. maybe twice in total but it stuck in memory.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    I also have a bug. Game doesn't properly fill full screen. The right and bottom of the screen is cut off. I took steam screenshots but they appear normal (not what I see). I attached pictures from my phone to show what I see. I can't hit okay or apply buttons in settings so I can't change anything. The game settings say I am 1920x1080.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPkPsJfpF-dwAsba0MekkhrPOl_HZ5IS5XbRguKw49Z-X-vBzYNPfhLOFIfmFZJ7g?key=ZWFhRTdaa2hFOWs4WnZNUlRqaGdMM2ZPRC04R2RR

https://goo.gl/photos/ZTNAZMyaLi1D8r1n6
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I also have a bug. Game doesn't properly fill full screen. The right and bottom of the screen is cut off. I took steam screenshots but they appear normal (not what I see). I can't hit okay or apply buttons in settings so I can't change anything. The game settings say I am 1920x1080.

Try to make a video. 5 sec is ok.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    i attached a tech support zip to my 1st post.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015

Hmm... you're not using any kind of resizing programs are you? Or even the nvidia DSM modes? Just a shot in the dark. Also, stupid question: but it IS set to fullscreen, right? not windowed with too big of a resolution?
    edited October 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Hmm... you're not using any kind of resizing programs are you? Or even the nvidia DSM modes? Just a shot in the dark. Also, stupid question: but it IS set to fullscreen, right? not windowed with too big of a resolution?

I don't know what nvidia DSM is. I dont' know what resizing progams would be. I'm as stock as it gets. It worked before i deployed. I am back and steam updated and now I can't see the screen. I've always played in windowed mode for me at 1920x1080, as you can see from this picture (1st link above)

Is there a file I can edit from windows explorer to change settings?
    edited October 2015
    I changed my system_options from windowed to full screen and it fixed it. Thanks. That's the only thing I changed.
    HalfCrash on local server:
    Apparently emptying the cached files and workshop folder worked.
    No need to update drivers and stuff.
    I don't know if the hotfix did change something on that precise matter.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @UncleCrunch are you sure it wasn't the hotfix that was just released that fixed it?

In any case thank you for reporting back with a potential solution!
    Glad things are working for you now
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    My game started with wrong solution otherwise it's going great thanks for awsome update!
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @UncleCrunch are you sure it wasn't the hotfix that was just released that fixed it?

In any case thank you for reporting back with a potential solution!
    Glad things are working for you now

I think it would be safe to empty automatically the cache folder each time a build comes out. It will be better in the end. It's not the first time that the cache / workshop folders are involved.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Can't open overlay windows from the tab menu. I'm really fond of this :/
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just letting you know the bots seemingly became dumber since the patch was released, i often have bots on my server (and use them in different situations) problem is they're doing 360's spinning too much and ignoring players, it's like they have no target, one skulk can take out 4-5 of those bot marines now. Anywhere i can make them respond faster? and not decide to do a 360

Also they're locking onto players and tracking them through walls and ignoring waypoints.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    A change in bot code was in the changelog.
    They're supposed to be slower or closer to human in terms of reaction time. But i think they're slowed down all the way. They can't kill a skulk. They as 3 units together.

Maybe get back to the previous bot behaviour but reducing aim effectiveness. It was the main issue IMO.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @lamb

That doesn't look like a bugged model - it looks like your game froze temporarily during the countdown. Notice how the timer stops at 4 seconds?
    Stuff like that is prone to happening on those large playercount servers as there's a lot of entities to process during those moments.

The stuck fade I've already replied to in the technical support forums. More than likely due to the high latency. (I've had this happen to me before as a diff lifeform)
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @lamb

That doesn't look like a bugged model - it looks like your game froze temporarily during the countdown. Notice how the timer stops at 4 seconds?
    Stuff like that is prone to happening on those large playercount servers as there's a lot of entities to process during those moments.

The stuck fade I've already replied to in the technical support forums. More than likely due to the high latency. (I've had this happen to me before as a diff lifeform)

I was tabbed out & the model appeared as I tabbed in again.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Lamb wrote: »
    @lamb

What model are you talking about? I don't see anything out of the ordinary except the freeze caused by you tabbing out.
    @lamb

What model are you talking about? I don't see anything out of the ordinary except the freeze caused by you tabbing out.

Just as I tab back in, & it's zooming in on my character there's a T-pose spooky ghost in the background by the RT.
    @lamb

Just as I tab back in, & it's zooming in on my character there's a T-pose spooky ghost in the background by the RT.

LOL not sure how I missed that!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Pretty certain those problems are caused by hitting the engine entity limit, which only servers running past the standard 24 players will see.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Keep it in, game needs more spooky ghosts
    Yea, alt tabbing at that exact moment + higher than intended entity count = those expected results
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited October 2015
    Can we get some focus on why some players cant open steam profile or hive profile from the scoreboard :(

Edit: It really makes it impossible to advise/make picks and know what you're fighting against sometimes