Faster than a speeding bullet! ok, not that fast - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    G_of_the_J wrote: »
    I have red plug problem. No probs for other games. I just red Plug, and usually timeout. Two different server today (some russian and thirsty onos).

Loadout are better and at last i can play with shadows on with my new Gpu.

The redplug issue is being worked on for a hotfix! It's a common issue for many servers.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I will say, once again, well done on the information to server hosts & admins.

I have not yet had time to look at the taw servers, which is why currently we only have vanilla's running.
    But I shall go look at the non vanilla now and see how all will go. :)
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    smyli wrote: »
    Mendasp wrote: »
    smyli wrote: »
    RIP 1440p

Try reading the thread.

I have read every single word here, btw new scaling option in ns2+ is terrible :P

the NS2+ option is basically identical to last patch, the only thing different is the font that's different, other than that it's fine. Mendasp listened and brought back exactly what people wanted. How is it terrible? :/
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Earlier in the morning i was hosting a server in the beta to test some things before the public release (ns2 updated, my server was still up) people joined, i noticed seconds later the hive/skill and ns2+ + shine were giving a bunch of errors, making me redplug and changing physics, disabling anything relating to hive/skill in the options of those mods fixed it all up, afterwards i warned wooza/oozle about this, don't know if you've figured out what the cause was though.

Also nice bot features added, thanks for updating the bots still(favorite update this round):) would like to see the com bot be improved, maybe a little less retardation? (currently instantly hops in drops 3 whips or 3 crags etc when it shouldn't lol.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Can we have a marine, alien, commander key config ? Right now we have normal and commander. Or at least something to switch config fast if menus are difficult to make / create.
    It's so obvious that i felt it wasn't necessary to talk about.

Ho and...
    "broken power node" in first hive.

@UncleCrunch broken power node? what's this? Could you elaborate on this please?

The PN in the starting hive is not enabled nor destroyed. It's the empty model.
    For immersion and many tactical /strategic aspect it would seem only logical to have emergency light in the hive. It won't really change the commander interface as it's buggy on the light matter. It won't delay the hive detection process either. Any ok commander will do the same.

OOOHhhh I misunderstood. I thought you were reporting a bug, but you just want it so the power node is socketed and broken in the alien start hive. I like that idea!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2015
    Just ignore @Baemm1337, 40% chance he's trolling, but either way he's not constructive.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    I havent been able to replicate this, curious if this is a modded server or not? all servers you joined?

Hmmm... i don't remember talking about PN to be bugged.
    Let's make it as accurate as possible:
    Time : when you start a game.
    Situation : The first hive is like any other marine base. Lights are ON.
    Wish : Emergency light in the hive room when the game starts.

In fact if the lights could be weaker than regular emergency lights in hive rooms (when a hive in 100% grown in there), that could change some little things about the game. Less ramboing, more thinking... yeah i know it's like a wish that will never come true...

Now, about commander view.
    Sometimes you hover on a room and you see the room is dark or with emergency lights. Then you immediately spam medpack on the PG, then you realize the PG isn't under attack. Your teammates say it's fine. But your view still show the room dark. I mean not like it should be. It happened several time online as on local server (no mod at all). I find it to happen more when you do a second game on same map.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmmm...

Can we have a marine, alien, commander key config ? Right now we have normal and commander. Or at least something to switch config fast if menus are difficult to make / create.
    It's so obvious that i felt it wasn't necessary to talk about.

Ho and...
    "broken power node" in first hive.

@UncleCrunch broken power node? what's this? Could you elaborate on this please?

The PN in the starting hive is not enabled nor destroyed. It's the empty model.
    For immersion and many tactical /strategic aspect it would seem only logical to have emergency light in the hive. It won't really change the commander interface as it's buggy on the light matter. It won't delay the hive detection process either. Any ok commander will do the same.

OOOHhhh I misunderstood. I thought you were reporting a bug, but you just want it so the power node is socketed and broken in the alien start hive. I like that idea!

Yeah i always did wonder about this, it would be pretty cool and logical that alien start hive the power would already be destroyed, it would help the aliens alittle better against hive rush and added realism, plus what game would marines build the power in alien start hive anyhow lol
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    But i was intruiged and thx to the access to the source code i profiled the game in the visualstudio 2013 profiler. I quickly found that a big amount of my cpu time was spend in a function that basically asks the system the current time.
    By calling that function much less often, i could almost double my fps.
    That's interesting, thanks for sharing. You could look at the assembler code, maybe some specific instruction causes this.

About the broken PN: it's a free alien start location reveal. Commander could easily spot the dark/red room without spending on medpacks. However, yes, this would give a slight advantage for aliens so in some cases it would be more difficult to rush the hive. But consider Cargo@Veil, it's quite bright even with PN destroyed.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    rkfg wrote: »
    But i was intruiged and thx to the access to the source code i profiled the game in the visualstudio 2013 profiler. I quickly found that a big amount of my cpu time was spend in a function that basically asks the system the current time.
    That's interesting, thanks for sharing. You could look at the assembler code, maybe some specific instruction causes this.

About the broken PN: it's a free alien start location reveal. Commander could easily spot the dark/red room without spending on medpacks. However, yes, this would give a slight advantage for aliens so in some cases it would be more difficult to rush the hive. But consider Cargo@Veil, it's quite bright even with PN destroyed.

I find the hive in less than 10 sec after game starts as Commander. As said : Any ok commander can and is doing this. 2 RTs 1 Arms Lab, 1 medpack. Not to mention the North/South and Est/west locked configuration on some maps. No surprise at all.

About Atrium@summit, cargo@Veil. it can be helped with some other stuff preventing marine to see clearly, like the Ink effect. But that's another topic.

What i'm thinking about is also defusing egg lock. Everybody hates that and is to my knowledge one of the things that make new people leave before knowing much more about the game.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh, also about the PN issues. Sometimes, though veeeery rarely, there's a holographic broken PN present at some location. It can't be welded and built, it just hangs there. I don't remember if lights were off or not, probably they were and the emergency lights were on. As a result, such room can't be claimed by marines in that round. Sometimes lights are out on the marine start when the game starts and they restore while the starting camera fly-through plays. That's just a fun element , obviously a glitch but could be related to the pre-game mod.

Another rare bug is a closed CC, once fully built it doesn't open and if the original CC is destroyed there's no way for commander to get in and continue the round. Happened to me two times, very frustrating especially when marines are winning.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

I find the hive in less than 10 sec after game starts as Commander. As said : Any ok commander can and is doing this. 2 RTs 1 Arms Lab, 1 medpack. Not to mention the North/South and Est/west locked configuration on some maps. No surprise at all.

About Atrium@summit, cargo@Veil. it can be helped with some other stuff preventing marine to see clearly, like the Ink effect. But that's another topic.

What i'm thinking about is also defusing egg lock. Everybody hates that and is to my knowledge one of the things that make new people leave before knowing much more about the game.

Because killing ips isn't a thing...
    amoral wrote: »
    Because killing ips isn't a thing...
    I'm for the same kind of protection on marine side. With other means of course. But i won't copy paste a wall of text here.
  • gungorgegungorge US Join Date: 2014-08-31 Member: 198194Members

I've seen something similar to this before. Doing a timezone lookup (at least on centos) is extremely expensive. We've gotten some pretty good speed ups using the kernel's monotonic high precision timer. (Though this isn't always applicable to the problem at hand)
    gungorge wrote: »
    I've seen something similar to this before. Doing a timezone lookup (at least on centos) is extremely expensive. We've gotten some pretty good speed ups using the kernel's monotonic high precision timer. (Though this isn't always applicable to the problem at hand)
    Well, that's not what was fixed. One function can be slower than another, that's ok, different algorithms and amounts of data involved. This bug was special because it only affected Intel iX CPU series. While the CPU itself might be unrelated (there's too few reports, it could be a simple coincidence), it's still interesting to know what causes that. Reducing the number of calls is a good workaround (it worked after all) but knowing the root of the problem is always the best.
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    I think this will be a good patch for everyone. Thanks CDT!
  • gorantgorant Austrlaia Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208534Members
    edited October 2015
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Baemm1337 wrote: »
    OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GAME?! IT LOOKS LIKE AIDS AND EBOLA HAD A BABY!!! playing on 1440p and everything is so extreme big, I cant see shit. WTF!!! you fucked my game! I was also playing well on 130fps and now I got 90!!! GIMME MA BABY BACK!

The UI and elements now scale correctly. They were not correct previously as the UI did not support scaling.

I'm having heaps of issues with this. Buying at armory, being a com and when you have the mini map top left of screen it takes up huge amounts of screen space. Please give us a way around this!!! (2560x1600 res btw on a 30" monitor)

3tchwxji2nlf.jpg
    thzi4bm877fx.jpg
    f7jvxzqxv8l6.jpg
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I dont understand, whats your issue? Your GUI looks exactly like mine.

Before the GUI was wrong at all resolutions other than 1080p. Thats the resolution for which the GUI was designed. Now it looks correct on all resolutions.
    You may not like how it looks, buts thats how it was designed to look like.
    ^^ It may look fine on your screen, but I'm playing in front of a 30" monitor, all this is screaming in my face. Please for the love of god return it to how it was. If 1080p players are happy with how they had it and the larger res arent, just bring it back!

Here is more. Also, not only is the scaling totally making me not want to play this anymore, but my FPS has also taken a giant hit. I have a top of the range GPU, a 980TI (factory OC too) and its gone from the usual 70-90FPS to 30-40FPS.

nt30qsdpb5eb.jpg
    5cw8vtynxbv4.jpg
    pnbnt1zo17yo.jpg

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    gorant wrote: »
    Here is more. Also, not only is the scaling totally making me not want to play this anymore, but my FPS has also taken a giant hit. I have a top of the range GPU, a 980TI (factory OC too) and its gone from the usual 70-90FPS to 30-40FPS.

The usual 70-90? your running a 980 TI??? You got that baby slotted in next to a pentium 4 or something lol.

• BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    "New ModLoader API: Read more details here" there is no link :(
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ^^^^ My thoughts exactly. I get like 100+ fps and my card is a gtx 580
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    ^^ It may look fine on your screen, but I'm playing in front of a 30" monitor, all this is screaming in my face. Please for the love of god return it to how it was. If 1080p players are happy with how they had it and the larger res arent, just bring it back!

Nvidia reportedly broke a lot of stuff in their latest driver. If you upgraded to the Battlefront Game-Ready driver, you may want to roll back.
    Nvidia reportedly broke a lot of stuff in their latest driver. If you upgraded to the Battlefront Game-Ready driver, you may want to roll back.

He wrote "usual" meaning he's playing like that for months.

I play with high detail and an GTX960/I7 4790k
    1920x1200 all setting ON or to the highest except Bloom & Occlusion
    In Refinery (the atmospheric land) i still have : 90 to 125FPS.
    No OC.

I think he may have an issue with memory profile in UEFI... the usual trap. Or his OC is wrong. but for sure something's wrong.

In the process i discovered a bug.
    ...next thread.

The usual 70-90? your running a 980 TI??? You got that baby slotted in next to a pentium 4 or something lol.

lol remember its 2560x1600 res. I have an I7 4770k cpu and an SSD for hard drive, and a very fancy 16gb RAM. nothing wrong with my rig.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited October 2015
    Baemm1337 wrote: »
    OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GAME?! IT LOOKS LIKE AIDS AND EBOLA HAD A BABY!!! playing on 1440p and everything is so extreme big, I cant see shit. WTF!!! you fucked my game! I was also playing well on 130fps and now I got 90!!! GIMME MA BABY BACK!

The UI and elements now scale correctly. They were not correct previously as the UI did not support scaling.

I'm having heaps of issues with this. Buying at armory, being a com and when you have the mini map top left of screen it takes up huge amounts of screen space. Please give us a way around this!!! (2560x1600 res btw on a 30" monitor)

Is it hard for you to read the thread and see I added an option to NS2+ for what you want or is your res so high you can't see the text?
  • Baemm1337Baemm1337 Germany Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202488Members
    @gorant I have absolutely same problem with res and fps. Told @Obraxis about that ...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    Bollwerk wrote: »
    "New ModLoader API: Read more details here" there is no link :(

Not sure what happened but there is a separated news post for modders anyway.

In case anyone has fps issues with 276 please open a tech support thread following these instructions.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited October 2015
    After a vote kick the kicked player now get banned for the amount of votekickbantime minutes (default: 30)

Please make that a separate vote to ban option, currently many servers don't automatically kick afk players and kicking them is the only way to even the teams and it would just be shitty to not let them rejoin.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    Sops wrote: »
    After a vote kick the kicked player now get banned for the amount of votekickbantime minutes (default: 30)

Please make that a separate vote to ban option, currently many servers don't automatically kick afk players and kicking them is the only way to even the teams and it would just be shitty to not let them rejoin.

Vanilla itself has afk kick (by default it kicks after 5 mins). So if afk players are not getting kicked the given admin decided to not use the afk kick. A vote for ban has to much potential to be abused.