Faster than a speeding bullet! ok, not that fast - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Then you deserve each other and no one should complain or apologize. It's still disappointing to see such behavior from you, @Mendasp. First I thought it was just a bug on his side and you played along like it was your revenge (and it was really funny) but it turned out to be a crafted thing. Anyway, I hope this was a single usage of this troll mode. I really hope. In the end you're the dev and you're free to do whatever you want. But if FUD starts to spread it will hurt everyone, including the amicable and helping players.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    rkfg wrote: »
    Then you deserve each other and no one should complain or apologize. It's still disappointing to see such behavior from you, @Mendasp. First I thought it was just a bug on his side and you played along like it was your revenge (and it was really funny) but it turned out to be a crafted thing. Anyway, I hope this was a single usage of this troll mode. I really hope. In the end you're the dev and you're free to do whatever you want. But if FUD starts to spread it will hurt everyone, including the amicable and helping players.
    Why would I systematically do this? Seriously.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    You really think that now that you've shown everyone your power no one would ever badmouth the devs and the game? Seriously. And, considering that this "prank" was quite unexpected, why wouldn't you do something like that or even worse for the next offender? I see no reasons for you not to do it the next time. And it will happen, we both know it. Sooner or later.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    How are you so sure it will happen?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was a harmless jest, get over it. It just displays that @Mendasp has a sense of humour. Now drop it before the thread devolves into a pointless debacle.
    edited October 2015
    Mendasp wrote: »
    How are you so sure it will happen?
    Because it's what happens on forums all the time. Maybe not so often here, but look on any Steam Community forum. You'll find many angry players there who swear a lot and just get banned.
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    It was a harmless jest, get over it. It just displays that @Mendasp has a sense of humour. Now drop it before the thread devolves into a pointless debacle.
    It's not a harmless jest. If it would be some funny badge that everyone sees that would be ok. What @Mendasp did is that he ruined the game giving the player an unfair disadvantage (how would you play competitively with the viewmodel rotating around all the time and menus being unusable?!). Does UWE approve this action? Imagine if it would be done in a vanilla game, any game, if player just said something bad on the forum. He didn't cheat, played nice, just vented on the forum once and got some weird game behavior exactly because of that and it was confirmed. I think it's a dead end for any gamedev company to do this with their customers. It's a big reputation blow to say at least, if it goes public.

Now, what we have here. NS2+ became an integral part of the game. Right now only one server out of 16 alive (== not empty) servers runs the vanilla game. All others have NS2+. @Mendasp should be proud of it and I'm sure he is. It's a big achievement, to create a mod that becomes inseparable from the game. Congratulations! But as I said, he must take the responsibility with that. And here's the problem.

@Baemm1337 is a paying customer who paid for the game and now he's unable to play on the majority of the alive servers. Considering the small amount of them and the overall small size of the community that equals banning him from the game he paid for. He didn't cheat (I suppose) and cheating is the only reason to ban a player from playing with others. 15 out of 16 servers are basically unavailable for him now. So the question arises, is UWE ok with a CDT member banning their customers?

I must say explicitly, I depsise @Baemm1337 actions and words. But it's nothing compared to using "god's" powers of @Mendasp to "punish" him. The adequate reaction, as I also said, is just a forum ban. Everyone would be happy and nothing like that would happen. So I'm uneasy about this situation and what impact it might have.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    WOW!!!!
    The game loads soooooo freaking quik now!!! It unbeliveable!
    Thank you so much devs AWSOWE update!!
    It seems that @Mendasp heard me and eventually took back most annoying game breaking changes. Some faith restored.
    edited October 2015
    I'm not Hitler, even if a display of asshole power made you think I was. Also, goldenmode and swalkmode can be toggled in console by typing just that ("goldenmode", "swalkmode").
    edited October 2015
    The mod is optional, I do not force anyone to use it, these things take care of themselves. If I'm such a big bully and prone to abuse, server ops will stop using it or someone will fork it. I realize how popular it is, but you should also realize that misusing the power that comes with the popularity will hurt me if I were to actually abuse it.
    Those are all weak arguments. If your mod happened to be popular, you should behave accordingly. It's so basic I don't even think it should be explained. It's what society (or community) expect from its member.

If you bully one player it's unlikely that all server admins would stop using the mod so everyone else would suffer. Does it give you the right to bully some individual then if you know no one else cares? It will only hurt you if you start doing it systematically, yes. But then again, does it justify such actions towards a single player? Very doubtful.

See, it's the situation we're in right now. NS2+ is the core part of the game no matter how you see it. If you're still developing it, people expect you play nice and fair. All people, not just the majority. I think doing what they expect is the right thing to do, to be still proud of yourself and of what you do. And since NS2+ is a core part, your actions affect UWE directly, it's all the same as all other CDT members do with the engine and core scripts.
    There's no hating at all, just pointing out the wrong behavior of such a good person in all other aspects. Even those people he "trolled" didn't say a word to him which makes the situation even more weird. Of course, I'm also very grateful for all he did for NS2. And you're right, you shouldn't talk to idiots. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. That's what bans are for.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015

The above line is the end for all off-topic talk. Anything below this line which has nothing to do with the news post will lead to a warning / forum temp ban.

Feel free to open another thread if you want to talk about other topics.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    On the bright side, I had been crashing whenever I would try to join a game thru the "join game" option from right clicking a buddy on steam or when acceptin a join game invitation steam. This is not happening any more as of 276, so thank you! A small QOL improvement.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know it's too late to consider doing at this point to fit with the theme, but there should be a marine version of the reaper pack.

Maybe I just want a purple assault rifle, who knows.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Now drop it before the thread devolves into a pointless debacle.
    yes friend, let's try to avoid that.

Kappa
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Let's instead talk about how lamb is a hacker. gg
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

The above line is the end for all off-topic talk. Anything below this line which has nothing to do with the news post will lead to a warning / forum temp ban.

Feel free to open another thread if you want to talk about other topics.

@GhoulofGSG9

... most of that was on topic, and in direct relation to problems introduced by the patch and other things that followed from those problems.

face it, anything you find in game should be assumed to have the implicit approval and association with UWE. this is how the world is.

Ask a player in a server, who codes NS2+, they'd probably say, "uh NS2 what? duh, the devs." Ask them "who released the new patch?" the majority of them will say UWE.

you're assuming that the average player knows or cares that it's a group of volunteers doing it now.
    Any punitive action taken will be assumed to be done with the implicit approval of the company the game was purchased from.

Same with forum moderation. Sure most of you are volunteers, but "the buck stops here." This isn't your website, this isn't your server, this isn't your etc. Ultimately, any action you take is UWE's responsibility.

Everybody involved should grow up...
    but everybody involved with UWE's stamp of approval should really know better in the first place.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    Stop pissing Mendasp off, if you don't like the features, or have a problem with them, just ask nicely about them. No need to be obnoxious about it, he has done far more good then most people in the entire life of NS/NS2. If anything he's the reason why so many vets still play NS2 and or support the game, he makes it playable.

Taking donations?

Thanks Mendasp.

Signed,

Archie.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »
    Any punitive action taken will be assumed to be done with the implicit approval of the company the game was purchased from.

Same with forum moderation. Sure most of you are volunteers, but "the buck stops here." This isn't your website, this isn't your server, this isn't your etc. Ultimately, any action you take is UWE's responsibility.
    When you release a MOD it's generally implied that the company which released the original game is NOT involved. Nobody thinks that valve had anything to do with WC3 MOD or Soccerjam. Nobody thinks UWE has anything to do with Skulks with shotguns or Siege.

NS2+ is a mod. It's clearly represented as such to anyone who actually uses it.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Ideally UI scaling would be an option where individual players could set individual parts as big or small as they wished. Less ideally, scaling the entire UI on a single slider. Forcing a completely new (and fixed) scaling setup onto people who were comfortable with the prior sizing is probably the worst possible implementation of the feature.

Yes I'm aware NS2+ has an option to turn it off, it hardly even affects me as is but I wouldn't mind the option to change things (without having to mod it myself that is).

Anyway, that aside I've noticed that the word wra
    pping recently went wonky. It seems we now hav
    e more characters to type with (though still less t
    han a tweet), but the word wrapping pays absolut
    ely no attention to spaces and therefore can mak
    e things quite annoying to read, no?

I'll probably change the switch to a slider in the next NS2+ update because it's easily doable (I'm thinking 5% to 200% should cover everything). You can't really do it granularly without an insane amount of work (or a billion console commands/options/sliders).

About the wrapping, are you talking about the chat? Because there's a console command that controls how much of the screen the chat takes up horizontally, it's "chatwrapamount", valid values are between 10 and 40 (%).

Also, still waiting for @Baemm1337 and @smyli to apologize, unless they really like how their game looks like now :D

Yeah I'm talking about the chat. It's not a problem with the wrap amount, it's that when it DOES wrap it breaks words instead of going to the nearest space.

I don't believe I recall chat having any linebreaks at all prior to the recent patch, so either the scaling added (the need for) wrapping or else you increased the maximum message length. Anyway, as you can see from my demonstration it can be quite a nuisance to read.
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »

When you release a MOD it's generally implied that the company which released the original game is NOT involved. Nobody thinks that valve had anything to do with WC3 MOD or Soccerjam. Nobody thinks UWE has anything to do with Skulks with shotguns or Siege.

NS2+ is a mod. It's clearly represented as such to anyone who actually uses it.

hey boy, i never actively downloaded ns2+ in my life. never been asked to, never been aware i've downloaded it.

mods that you install are very different from mods that the server installs on you.

and no, when your users release a mod, say a "hot coffee mod" or a "nude patch" of various flavors... you very much get the flack for it right or wrong.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can somebody explain this one:

Sneaky Skulks
    While holding shift you can now peek around corners without exposing your complete body as skulks. Basically what the enemy sees fits now to what you see.

How is this different from before? Didnt notice anything new when skulking.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    CCTEE wrote: »

Sneaky Skulks
    While holding shift you can now peek around corners without exposing your complete body as skulks. Basically what the enemy sees fits now to what you see.

You don't really notice it from first person view. Either test the difference with a friend in-game or use cheats 1 and thirdperson at a local server.
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Yeah I'm talking about the chat. It's not a problem with the wrap amount, it's that when it DOES wrap it breaks words instead of going to the nearest space.

I don't believe I recall chat having any linebreaks at all prior to the recent patch, so either the scaling added (the need for) wrapping or else you increased the maximum message length. Anyway, as you can see from my demonstration it can be quite a nuisance to read.
    Well, before the patch it wasn't really actually calculating the size that it was taking up on screen. In any case, I've just seen why it's wrapping text the way it is, it should be fixed next patch.
  • BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    Natural fair selection 3?
    CCTEE wrote: »

Sneaky Skulks

ooh, me likey
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    edited October 2015
    Fixed issues that caused the server and client to fall into a infinity loop under certain circumstances (commonly known as the “half crash”)
    Shouldn't be advertised as the half crash persists. @WasabiOne
  • GogglesGoggles China Join Date: 2015-10-27 Member: 208799Members
    Until this update, I didn't have any connection issues connecting to foreign servers (I'm in China), though I'd usually have ping ranging from 180-450. Now, even when my ping is in the yellow ranges, I'm redplugging constantly and the game lags so horribly, that its like I'm playing at 0.1 FPS. And that's when I can connect, since timeouts constantly occur when connecting to servers now. The only time these connection issues cease is when I play on the rare Chinese server (they only seem to play this game once a week) or on a DiamondGamers server (which are usually full). Did you guys do something strange to the netcode that you're not talking about? I'm aware I should expect some lag due to how poor China's internet is, but what I'm seeing looks like a problem separate from that.