Faster than a speeding bullet! ok, not that fast - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    rkfg wrote: »
    I want just a quick check if it's only for the server I played on or for everyone. After today's update I had two server freezes (red plug), it was like that for about a minute and then suddenly started working again. Some people were alive and could play further (the game wasn't reset) but many were just frozen and had ping of 999. Then they just left (maybe they actually left way earlier after the red plug appeared, I dunno). Never saw something like that before. I also have no idea if it's a network issue or the server program itself. So here's a check, have you experienced something like this on 276?

BTW, the Linux version is fine, I can select an audio device now, it loads fast etc. No complaints, good job!
    We're looking into the 999-ping/plug issue. That's really good to hear about the Linux client! @computerquip has put a lot of time (and frustration) into the Linux build. Be sure and throw some gratitude his way! ;)
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Of course! @computerquip, you're da man! It's always heartwarming to see the new build performing without any quirks and if it becomes even better, that's absolutely great! Keep it up!
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    it should noted too that NS2 never technically supported any resolutions over 1080p until now. So whatever your experience before, thats great and we like the feedback, just want to clarify there is a reason why its scaling now and we can officially support higher resolutions because of this feature.
  • Baemm1337Baemm1337 Germany Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202488Members
    I can just completely agree with @Cr4zyb4st4rd
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    At this point it's a server operators fault for not running ns2+

To be fair, a mod should require a game, not a game should require a mod. For example, a mod that patches things and puts in missing features still doesn't change the fact that the base game is bugged and is lacking them.

That being said, this patch is pretty great and the load time improvements were quite noticeable. Thanks for the hard work cdt! (I still have the texture streaming issue though.)
  • Baemm1337Baemm1337 Germany Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202488Members
    "I'm a terrible person" doesnt work, nuffin changes.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    Baemm1337 wrote: »
    "I'm a terrible person" doesnt work, nuffin changes.

Okay, just a second...
    Baemm1337 wrote: »
    OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GAME?! IT LOOKS LIKE AIDS AND EBOLA HAD A BABY!!! playing on 1440p and everything is so extreme big, I cant see shit. WTF!!! you fucked my game! I was also playing well on 130fps and now I got 90!!! GIMME MA BABY BACK!

There. Go ahead and justify that post. I'm waiting.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to make UI changes in this game? Do you have any idea how hard @mendasp worked to get scaling working? Nothing wrong with criticizing the results, or making suggestions. This is NOT what YOU were doing. What kind of changes did you honestly expect to be made when you come screaming onto our forums, saying the game is AIDS and Ebola, etc. etc?

I'm terribly sorry we "fucked up" YOUR game.

EDIT: Okay thanks mendasp for naming options so strangely... my internet outrage stands.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I still have the texture streaming issue though.
    Just looking through that old thread you linked, I believe my response still holds true unless you've upgraded your GPU?
    IronHorse wrote: »
    It's the texture handler loading in low res textures in the interim so as not to cause you any hitching because it is unable to load the higher res textures to your gpu in time.
    It could be your video card's performance, as I also have a 1 GB card like you, (570 gtx) but I dont suffer those long of wait times.. (but my GPU also scores 4 times better than yours!) so I would definitely investigate the health of your hard drive.

Both SSDs and much better GPUs are cheap and available these days.. I know that's not optimal, that you rather find an underlaying issue.. but really think of it this way : before 267 you were hitching so much you just weren't noticing it, now you aren't nearly as much, and can witness to what extent.

TLDR: It's probably your sub par GPU, but you might as well investigate the possibility of a dysfunctional HD and/or software that is reading and writing like AV.

• WiseChoicesWiseChoices Seattle, WA Join Date: 2014-12-19 Member: 200112Members
    Please add more vents and path variations to Derelict. Its still way to marine friendly.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just looking through that old thread you linked, I believe my response still holds true unless you've upgraded your GPU?

Nope, still the same old 1gb card. Once the newer games start becoming unplayable I might actually have to upgrade though. This is still a very ns2-centric issue mind you.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please add more vents and path variations to Derelict. Its still way to marine friendly.

Its still being looked into at this time! :smiley:
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regarding Derelict, many people complained it runs too slow (FPS-wise) though I haven't noticed anything like that. Could it be something Windows-specific? Who knows... he-he-he. Probably just too much vegetation everywhere (== triangles) and some GPUs start to choke. Does anyone else have performance issues with this newest map?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    It's not that there are issues with 1440p, it's that it seems overly big now, people have been using 1440p for years and now they have a UI with elements doubled in size, from a commander POV its actually really annoying, you lose so much screen space for bigger buttons, that good commanders never click ever anyway?
    My armory screen feels huge on 27" now it never once bothered me it was that size before.
    The minimap now fills my entire screen at 27" it in my opinion was nicer when it was smaller and mroe compact and actually the same pixel size, not scaling percentage it was on 1080p but on 1440p.

Sure I love having bigger health bars, they were always a little out of the way before, but when everything else, as others have clearly pointed out things feel so much more cramped on screen now. Yes your scaling works great and for people above 1440p im sure it's much more helpful, the scaling however makes a lot of the elements feel/look worse for those of us used to how lovely and clean things were before.

NS2+ has options to let me scale my damage numbers, I used to have them less than 100% on 1440p, now with the new scaling even damage numbers at 50% are bigger, or maybe equal to 1440p 100%. I can no longer use nice small damage numbers, because the scaling makes it so.

If you've made scaling work properly, give players a slider top adjust scaling to their own preference?

Im not hating on the work you've done, but it's a drastic change to a few players, no one at 1080p cares, their game is the same. For those of us who have been fine with old scaling can we not have it adjustable back?

Dont use damage numbers, theyre shit
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

Nope, still the same old 1gb card. Once the newer games start becoming unplayable I might actually have to upgrade though. This is still a very ns2-centric issue mind you.

Yeaaa.. that quote of mine was outdated in that I've upgraded to a 970 gtx finally... boy did it make a difference.
    I had to play Shadow of Mordor on the lowest possible settings earlier this year and that really hurt. Couldn't remember playing on the lowest settings of any game since the release of Quake 2.
    So I caved for the 970 GTX given the bang vs buck scenario. ;) IMO it is definitely time for you, given the VRAM requirements of most games these days.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Man I love posters like these, gives me the energy to get out of a warm bed for a 6.30am start.

"@Baem1337 is the poster UWE forum poster ns2 deserves, but not the poster everybody needs right now."

Well done CDT and fellow playtesters for all your hard work, if I could give you a 1440p monitor, I would!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2015

So I caved for the 970 GTX given the bang vs buck scenario. ;) IMO it is definitely time for you, given the VRAM requirements of most games these days.

Great card, I've been happy with mine and finally being able to run everything on full with great fps after using a gtx 750Ti (also a great card, for the money).

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Can we have a marine, alien, commander key config ? Right now we have normal and commander. Or at least something to switch config fast if menus are difficult to make / create.
    It's so obvious that i felt it wasn't necessary to talk about.

Ho and...
    "broken power node" in first hive.

@UncleCrunch broken power node? what's this? Could you elaborate on this please?

The PN in the starting hive is not enabled nor destroyed. It's the empty model.
    For immersion and many tactical /strategic aspect it would seem only logical to have emergency light in the hive. It won't really change the commander interface as it's buggy on the light matter. It won't delay the hive detection process either. Any ok commander will do the same.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • smylismyli finland Join Date: 2013-12-19 Member: 190291Members
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited October 2015
    smyli wrote: »
    RIP 1440p

Try reading the thread.
  • smylismyli finland Join Date: 2013-12-19 Member: 190291Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    smyli wrote: »
    RIP 1440p

Try reading the thread.

I have read every single word here, btw new scaling option in ns2+ is terrible :P
    Hmm, on the contrary, I haven't noticed any changes in FPS though I have i7. Probably, wasn't affected at all. Can you share some details about the bug? I'm curious what a CPU-specific bug looks like and how to find one, especially if you don't use any asm and rely on the compiler.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75218Members
    Wow, I can finally play the game after all these years.

It never loaded on my system before this patch any time I tried, and I left it sitting open for 20+ minutes.

Too bad it's far beyond the point of relevance anymore.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Can we have a marine, alien, commander key config ? Right now we have normal and commander. Or at least something to switch config fast if menus are difficult to make / create.
    It's so obvious that i felt it wasn't necessary to talk about.

Ho and...
    "broken power node" in first hive.

@UncleCrunch broken power node? what's this? Could you elaborate on this please?

The PN in the starting hive is not enabled nor destroyed. It's the empty model.
    For immersion and many tactical /strategic aspect it would seem only logical to have emergency light in the hive. It won't really change the commander interface as it's buggy on the light matter. It won't delay the hive detection process either. Any ok commander will do the same.

I havent been able to replicate this, curious if this is a modded server or not? all servers you joined?
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    edited October 2015
    I have red plug problem. No probs for other games. I just red Plug, and usually timeout. Two different server today (some russian and thirsty onos).

Loadouts are better and at last i can play with shadows on with my new Gpu.