Faster than a speeding bullet! ok, not that fast - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageFaster than a speeding bullet! ok, not that fast - Natural Selection 2

One of the biggest complaints we read in the forums and steam reviews has always been “why are my load times so long?”. For some it was infuriating to load...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • artemartem Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159587Members
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    CDT, thanks for addressing issues with fixes.
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    Will it still require 1 GB of VRAM though?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Thanks, loving the faster loads. Tested on my laptop and it is way way faster!
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    antd00d wrote: »
    Will it still require 1 GB of VRAM though?

That depends on your texture quality setting.
  • SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2015
    WOW what happend to 1440p... I'm not so happy with the scaling tbh. Everything looks 1080p
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    This is huge for newcomers.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    SnX wrote: »
    WOW what happend to 1440p... I'm not so happy with the scaling tbh. Everything looks 1080p

WOW it's almost like that's the point of scaling

As true as that is, it doesn't feel so great after being on "broken" 1440p scaling. some stuff like the commander UI and biomass/upgrade icons just feel unnecessarily large at 1440p now. Would be nice if there was a scaling option for people.

I love having my health bars not being tiny, but the scoreboard, minimap, armory screen and everything being that big on such a large screen just feels wrong.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hmmm...

Can we have a marine, alien, commander key config ? Right now we have normal and commander. Or at least something to switch config fast if menus are difficult to make / create.
    It's so obvious that i felt it wasn't necessary to talk about.

Ho and...
    "broken power node" in first hive.
  • Baemm1337Baemm1337 Germany Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202488Members
    OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GAME?! IT LOOKS LIKE AIDS AND EBOLA HAD A BABY!!! playing on 1440p and everything is so extreme big, I cant see shit. WTF!!! you fucked my game! I was also playing well on 130fps and now I got 90!!! GIMME MA BABY BACK!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Baemm1337 wrote: »
    OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GAME?! IT LOOKS LIKE AIDS AND EBOLA HAD A BABY!!! playing on 1440p and everything is so extreme big, I cant see shit. WTF!!! you fucked my game! I was also playing well on 130fps and now I got 90!!! GIMME MA BABY BACK!

The UI and elements now scale correctly. They were not correct previously as the UI did not support scaling.
    edited October 2015
    I'm playing on 1440 to see MORE, cause of twice as much pixels not to play like on 1080p. its just crap. It was so fine like it was before!!!
    Great posts, your priorities in life seem to be in line with that of a mentally healthy person. You're lacking a few extra exclamation points and more swear words to make your quality posts perfect. Man, I'm so jealous of your posts. Keep working on it.[/quote]

It was all fine for me, so why change my game?! I just want it back as it was. End of story.
    Why cant there just be an option to change the HUD like I think it should be or it was. I got tiny lettlers in extremely big buttons for no reason. I'm most of the time playing on Wooza's Playground (42 People). I saw all ppl at the score at the same time, now I see half. The map was just fine and looked sharp, now its like it got AIDS. This really fucks me up. I cant just play like that. For what did I buy 1440p screen if its just like 720p or 1080p. It WAS a REAL DIFFERENCE!!!!!
    Ok ok. You never wondered why NS2 is a dead game and there are just like 5 servers where ppl playing? Think about it. Destroying your game wont do better. Not many ppl were playing on 1440p and for those who played on 1080 it is no change. so why cant you just think about what I'm saying?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    Ok ok. You never wondered why NS2 is a dead game and there are just like 5 servers where ppl playing? Think about it. Destroying your game wont do better. Not many ppl were playing on 1440p and for those who played on 1080 it is no change. so why cant you just think about what I'm saying?

Before we descent into more hilarity, dammit @Mendasp you almost made me choke on me drink here!

Isn't "seeing more" because of your resolution an unfair advantage, even far beyond 16:9 vs 4:3 ratios? I would say, this fix would... you know, fix that... Right?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Yeah because Mendasp destroyed NS2. Seriously though, give it some time and you will probably get used to it. It's nice to be able to see things on the minimap.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    If there are issues with 1440p please post screenshots and we can deal with them. But we did test NS2 with many resolutions, even 1440p and 4K.
    SnX and Cr4zyb4st4rd just said what I said. What is this kind of sorcery and not accepting what we're saying?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    At this point it's a server operators fault for not running ns2+
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hmmm...

Can we have a marine, alien, commander key config ? Right now we have normal and commander. Or at least something to switch config fast if menus are difficult to make / create.
    It's so obvious that i felt it wasn't necessary to talk about.

Ho and...
    "broken power node" in first hive.

@UncleCrunch broken power node? what's this? Could you elaborate on this please?
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not that there are issues with 1440p, it's that it seems overly big now, people have been using 1440p for years and now they have a UI with elements doubled in size, from a commander POV its actually really annoying, you lose so much screen space for bigger buttons, that good commanders never click ever anyway?
    My armory screen feels huge on 27" now it never once bothered me it was that size before.
    The minimap now fills my entire screen at 27" it in my opinion was nicer when it was smaller and mroe compact and actually the same pixel size, not scaling percentage it was on 1080p but on 1440p.

Sure I love having bigger health bars, they were always a little out of the way before, but when everything else, as others have clearly pointed out things feel so much more cramped on screen now. Yes your scaling works great and for people above 1440p im sure it's much more helpful, the scaling however makes a lot of the elements feel/look worse for those of us used to how lovely and clean things were before.

NS2+ has options to let me scale my damage numbers, I used to have them less than 100% on 1440p, now with the new scaling even damage numbers at 50% are bigger, or maybe equal to 1440p 100%. I can no longer use nice small damage numbers, because the scaling makes it so.

If you've made scaling work properly, give players a slider top adjust scaling to their own preference?

Im not hating on the work you've done, but it's a drastic change to a few players, no one at 1080p cares, their game is the same. For those of us who have been fine with old scaling can we not have it adjustable back?
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    I want just a quick check if it's only for the server I played on or for everyone. After today's update I had two server freezes (red plug), it was like that for about a minute and then suddenly started working again. Some people were alive and could play further (the game wasn't reset) but many were frozen and had ping of 999. Then they just left (maybe they actually left way earlier after the red plug appeared, I dunno). Never saw something like that before. I also have no idea if it's a network issue or the server program itself. So here's a check, have you experienced something like this on 276?

BTW, the Linux version is fine, I can select an audio device now, it loads fast etc. No complaints, good job!