Subnautica rumor busting

LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
So, I'm starting this thread to ask about a couple of rumors that I've heard, and if they are true (=confirmed by devs), or really just rumors brought in by normal people like you and me. I'm just listing them here, I'm asking you (the community) to confirm of bust them. So, here we go:
-The crabsquid is going to be in the blood kelp biome
-The reefbacks that are now in the game are only juveniles
-Warpers are sentient
-Sea Emperor and Warpers are in some way related
-Sea Emperor is going to be bigger than the Sea Dragon
-Sea Dragon is going to be a 'special' kind of creature (so no random spawns like stalkers, bonesharks, reapers, etc.)
-Sea Dragon is going to be in the Inactive lava zone
I probably have another few, but this is all I can come up with now. Again, I'm not stating these are facts. These are just rumors I've heard around the interwebs, and I'm only asking if any of this is true.
1 final thing: Any news regarding the creatures mentioned above? As in, when they are going to be implemented?

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Devs don't answer these questions. Let them be a surprise to us all.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Reefbacks are definitely Juveniles.
    Sea Emperor is gonna be the biggest baddest king-kong bastard on the planet.
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Devs don't answer these questions. Let them be a surprise to us all.

Still, I remember someone quoting a dev saying that they had a special role in mind for the sea dragon
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm pretty sure the Sea Emperor is dating the warper's mother. I heard it be a peeper who heard it from a rabbit ray that had just swum in from down there so you know its legit.

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The Warpers caused the Aurora Crash!
    Dark Matter can't melt plasteel beams!
    Wake up Sheeple!
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Wake up Sheeple!

And the crew that died couldn't be revived by infantry portals doe no power
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    Wake up Sheeple!

You forget that there were certain influential people on board that the Terran Dominion MIIIIGHT have wanted gone.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    Well, I heard from a legit source that the Sea Emperor has his own technology. You know all those fishies you keep chasing down and eating? Well, they USE to be *gulp*... your ship-mates!
    *insert scary music here*
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We have a plan...

working-cylon-238x300.jpg

Damn it! Cryptic teasers do NOT really help! :p
  • StetilleStetille Join Date: 2012-07-13 Member: 154099Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I always thought the crab snake was going to be in the mushroom caves, considering this concept art:

CloseEncounterLarge-1024x606.jpg

It's been a while since I played though, does the blood kelp biome contain these mushrooms too?
    I was talking about the crabsquid
    latest?cb=20150617120448
    this badboy over here.
    As far as I know, the crabsnake is still going to be in the mushrooms. But they're working on implementing it (trello: https://trello.com/c/voK92RTV), so we'll see!
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    LordDerp wrote: »
    I was talking about the crabsquid
    latest?cb=20150617120448
    this badboy over here.
    As far as I know, the crabsnake is still going to be in the mushrooms. But they're working on implementing it (trello: https://trello.com/c/voK92RTV), so we'll see!

Just sayin', but that's gonna glomp our face and make us wrestle the reaper leviathan. Possibly succesfully.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Confused wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Sea Emperor is dating the warper's mother. I heard it be a peeper who heard it from a rabbit ray that had just swum in from down there so you know its legit.

Best response of all time.
    Marut wrote: »

Just sayin', but that's gonna glomp our face and make us wrestle the reaper leviathan. Possibly succesfully.

On that subject, I've said it before, I'll gladly say it again.

WANT.

Especially if we get to wrestle with it in one of these three ways:
    1. Hand-to-hand combat like a sir. I want to feel like Chuck Norris.
    2. Underwater fighters with torpedoes and stuff.
    3. That guy in the corner of the SeaBase actually getting off his rear end, and showing that he is in fact Superman, and can tear the Reaper apart in seconds with his left little finger.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    We have a plan...

You must watch at background messages!
    zetachron wrote: »
    We have a plan...

I think I don't understand what you're meaning with that, care to elaborate?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    We have a plan...

I think they found fresh meat for Subnautica ...
  • PraetorianUKPraetorianUK UK Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207863Members
    Wake up Sheeple!

Top kek.
    We have a plan...

I think they found fresh meat for Subnautica ...

That doesn't make it any less cryptic... :/
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    Stetille wrote: »
    I always thought the crab snake was going to be in the mushroom caves, considering this concept art:

It's been a while since I played though, does the blood kelp biome contain these mushrooms too?

Hey, the Crabsnake is REAL! ;-)

Eunice aphroditois (colloquially known as the Bobbit(t) worm) is an aquatic predatory polychaete worm dwelling at the ocean floor.
    science-fact-friday-bobbit-worm-graboids.jpg
    bobbit-2.jpg
    bobbit-1.jpg
    20060402_bobbit_worm_2_large.jpg
    jZM4WH3.gif
    IOlpPQK.gif

We already live on an alien planet! ;-)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Wake up Sheeple!

Since the plasteel is made of titanium and lithium, it should melt fairly easily...... Why is it so strong anyway? It would be very light, but not all that strong.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Wake up Sheeple!

Since the plasteel is made of titanium and lithium, it should melt fairly easily...... Why is it so strong anyway? It would be very light, but not all that strong.

Which is a good thing. More weight means more sinking. But, the strength... you're right. That's why the Cyclops can only go to 200 meters before you're boned.
    The_Shark wrote: »
    Wake up Sheeple!

Which is a good thing. More weight means more sinking. But, the strength... you're right. That's why the Cyclops can only go to 200 meters before you're boned.

Not really. Real life submarines are made of steel, and they work just fine. The thing with titanium is that it is about as strong as steel, but a good deal lighter. This makes it ideal for spacecraft, planes, and missiles. But because of the air space in submarines, weight isn't really an issue. In fact, I expect that using titanium instead of steel would make it need bigger ballast tanks, and thus actually be a bad thing. Lithium is very light, but EXTREMELY soft, so the more you alloy it into something, the weaker and lighter it becomes. This means that a titanium-lithium alloy is really not what you want for a submarine. I can see something like the seamoth being improved by a titanium hull, since it is obviously meant to be portable, has much less air space in it than the cyclops, and is built for speed and agility. So lightness would be a strength for it. But for a workhorse like the cyclops, steel would be cheaper and better than a titanium hull, and MUCH better than a titanium-lithium one.
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    edited September 2015
    Bloop wrote: »
    Stetille wrote: »

Hey, the Crabsnake is REAL! ;-)

Eunice aphroditois (colloquially known as the Bobbit(t) worm) is an aquatic predatory polychaete worm dwelling at the ocean floor.
    science-fact-friday-bobbit-worm-graboids.jpg
    bobbit-2.jpg
    bobbit-1.jpg
    20060402_bobbit_worm_2_large.jpg
    jZM4WH3.gif
    IOlpPQK.gif

We already live on an alien planet! ;-)

What does the Devs think about it (sorry for the double post)?
    Correction, having seen the concept art for the Lost River biome, my guess is that the crabsquid is going to go there instead
    But for a workhorse like the cyclops, steel would be cheaper and better than a titanium hull, and MUCH better than a titanium-lithium one.

You have a point with all of that everything, except one part. Steel would be better, true... it wouldn't be cheaper though. There is exactly zero steel available anywhere. But, you're right. Pure titanium would be better than titanium-lithium alloy, but I think they added the lithium for balance reasons (and to give lithium a purpose). Actually, the best material would probably be something like tungsten: hyper-dense, little ballast needed, but also incredibly strong. But, again, I have found zero tungsten.
    The_Shark wrote: »
    But for a workhorse like the cyclops, steel would be cheaper and better than a titanium hull, and MUCH better than a titanium-lithium one.

You have a point with all of that everything, except one part. Steel would be better, true... it wouldn't be cheaper though. There is exactly zero steel available anywhere. But, you're right. Pure titanium would be better than titanium-lithium alloy, but I think they added the lithium for balance reasons (and to give lithium a purpose). Actually, the best material would probably be something like tungsten: hyper-dense, little ballast needed, but also incredibly strong. But, again, I have found zero tungsten.

Well, realistically steel is much easier to get than titanium. Titanium dioxide is common enough, but unless you need paint, it isn't all that useful. Refining it into metallic titanium is quite difficult, and needs a lot of energy. Iron, on the other hand, would be super common on any rocky planet, and is relatively easy to process into steel.
  • NaaliNaali U.S. Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207397Members
    Silicon carbide is used in bulletproof vests and tanks. Or there's always Palladium microalloy glass which is insanely strong (and much more so than steel)