I want to make some video's....and....They involve YOU, the COMMUNITY as a whole :)

TBD_TheBlackDogTBD_TheBlackDog Australia m8 Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207842Members
edited September 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/520519112495508179/
I recently posted on the Steam forums, but was told that most people hang here, so I thought I would come over and post here as well :smile:
I want to make a video....and....It involves YOU, the COMMUNITY as a whole
Ill try to keep this short. Ever since I got this game back in '13 I believe, I've been on and off, not really involved in the community, just playing the game, but I've also watched the community slowly deteriorate ever since then, from an average of 500-1000 players, with the number showing on the community hub, to just 100 or so now. I've recently started my YouTube channel, and I fear this may push some people away (Oh its just another generic YouTube channel posting gameplay, yada yada), and yes I just posted my first gameplay tonight (Hat-tip to those who I played with on the DiamondGamers.net server, your now famous ;) ), but I've had this idea and sort-of a goal to get NS2 out there a bit more, more players, and start counteracting this dieing in the community. I want to get more involved and also become a better player, only have 90+ hours clocked on this since I got it. Clearly though, after everything Ive read while delving into the abyss which is the steam forums tonight, considering different points of view and the status of the game as well, it seems like it'll take more than me to make a difference, because theres a damn lot to cover. Im glad to hear that at least updates are still coming out, the Derilect update was good too see. I know a lot wont listen, but if you are so willing to, and have read to this point, I thank you. I have got multiple mod showcases and tutorials (Including myself getting taught how to be a better alien by a very experienced player xD) in the idea stage, and am thinking of making various discussion videos, obviously with much more educated people of the community than me, to indicate and talk about the status of the community and the game, and slowly work towards building it up again, even if its only marginally, or only for a few moments, while it may be a long shot, I want to do SOMETHING, I have to try, I love this game. This is open to discussion, but lets not start any wars in this thread, thats not what I posted this for.

SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, LETS MAKE A DIFFERENCE (Most Motivational Sentence of the Year?)

TBD_TheBlackDog

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    Still wont let me........

Well, my channel is TBD_TheBlackDog since the link wants to be a video xD

There should be a gear at the top of your post which allows you to edit your posts. Use the url bbcode to link to your youtube channel;) Fixed it for you in the OP.
  • TBD_TheBlackDogTBD_TheBlackDog Australia m8 Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207842Members

There should be a gear at the top of your post which allows you to edit your posts. Use the url bbcode to link to your youtube channel;) Fixed it for you in the OP.

Cheers man, yea I tried to click the gear, but nothing happened so, not sure whats up there
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Heh was fun to watch this, keep it coming.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @TBD_TheBlackDog Good on you for getting out there. If you have newbies wanting to learn about the game, you can point them to my steam guides (its in my sig). Also, I think I played with you a few nights ago (or on the weekend). I am going to check out your channel now.
  • TBD_TheBlackDogTBD_TheBlackDog Australia m8 Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207842Members
    @TBD_TheBlackDog Good on you for getting out there. If you have newbies wanting to learn about the game, you can point them to my steam guides (its in my sig). Also, I think I played with you a few nights ago (or on the weekend). I am going to check out your channel now.

Yea hea, I just saw your comment xD
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That was a fun game. I was in that game with you. I ll add you to my steam, so the Aussies can dominate hahahaha.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Heh was fun to watch this, keep it coming.

Haha thanks, definitely not the best game for me, although commentating takes a lot of focus off of the game, but I am working on it and hopefully soon ill be much better at aliens and commentating, I want this channel to thrive
    That was a fun game. I was in that game with you. I ll add you to my steam, so the Aussies can dominate hahahaha.

Indeed, despite my shotty skills it was an awesome struggle to the end! And I added ya back :)
    Part 2 of that alien game is now up!
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    I like your enthusiasm about reviving the community BlackDog, but I watched your video and found it amusing how at the end of the round you had people telling you to kill yourself and your channel was for noobs. People will always bite the hand that tries to feed them because that's just how they are.

And why do you have only 90 hours if you've had the game since 2013? I have a feeling the reasons that caused you to stop playing back then will cause you to stop playing again, only because nothing has really changed about NS2.
    Part 2 of that alien game is now up!
    I like your enthusiasm about reviving the community BlackDog, but I watched your video and found it amusing how at the end of the round you had people telling you to kill yourself and your channel was for noobs. People will always bite the hand that tries to feed them because that's just how they are.

And why do you have only 90 hours if you've had the game since 2013? I have a feeling the reasons that caused you to stop playing back then will cause you to stop playing again, only because nothing has really changed about NS2.

I found it quite entertaining as well, main reason I left it in there xD
    You can never take someone whose name is 'HALAL SNACKBAR' seriously
    Yea, I know some people will genuinely be like that, but its just something you have to push through and get passed as a YouTuber, the amount of shit I get from my friends is far worse, although its all a joke, but it hasn't stopped me. When i threatened to bring my channel down as a joke, you should've seen their faces! They were all saying 'NO, don't do that, don't take it down'

As for my 90 hours in 2 years, no it wasnt anything to do with the game, I loved playing it and am glad I got back into it, because I still do love it, but back then I really only had a laptop to run this on. It was ok, holding a constant 30fps at ultra low.This will be mentioned in the update video, but i believe I mentioned it that the start of part 2 as well. I just ended up sort of forgetting about the game when I started playing other games like war thunder, and then when I got my PS3 at the beginning of last year, I fell out of PC gaming pretty much until now because all my friends had a PS3 and games like GTAV and BO2, which I love and played the hell out of as well.

I have a much better PC now, a desktop with a GTX 780 Ti, so now that I can run this very smoothly at ultra, thats what sort of drew me back into it, also the prospect of being able to make great quality YouTube videos, in terms of smooth gameplay. I ain't going anywhere now that I'm back :smile:
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since you have a 780ti, do you record with ShadowPlay? If not you really should give it a go its amazing
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or Obs. Obs has a bit more functionality and can use nvidia hardware like shadowplay.
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Since you have a 780ti, do you record with ShadowPlay? If not you really should give it a go its amazing
    Indeed I do, its great
    Nordic wrote: »
    Or Obs. Obs has a bit more functionality and can use nvidia hardware like shadowplay.
    I think shadowplay is much more stable, better quality, for me anyway
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2015

AFAIK OBS would be using the same API (Nvidia NVENC), but it's very possible Nvidia knows how to better utilize and optimise Shadowplay, what with it using their own brand and all. But for options, OBS does have an edge over Shadowplay to some extent, if you're doing stuff like streaming for instance :)

I see OBS more as an option for ATI/AMD card users, preferably with Intel Sandy Bridge or higher for Quicksync availability
    Kouji_San wrote: »

AFAIK OBS would be using the same API (Nvidia NVENC), but it's very possible Nvidia knows how to better utilize and optimise Shadowplay, what with it using their own brand and all. But for options, OBS does have an edge over Shadowplay to some extent, if you're doing stuff like streaming for instance :)

I see OBS more as an option for ATI/AMD card users, preferably with Intel Sandy Bridge or higher for Quicksync availability

Yea, and its a great screen recorder if you dont have a Geforce card to use shadowplay. I'd definitely turn to OBS if I stream in the future, I have experimented with it :)
    So I still cant edit any post of mine, no matter how many times I click the edit gear, so a new video has just been posted which sort of accompanies this post.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2015
    So I still cant edit any post of mine, no matter how many times I click the edit gear, so a new video has just been posted which sort of accompanies this post.

That's odd, it's only on "first post in thread" posts I assume. I can't see anything wrong with your account what could cause this, you want this video in your first post I'm assuming?

Maybe we need to summon one of the caped crusader's up in here (supar admins), @Comprox, @AceDude I summon thou

That's odd, it's only on "first post in thread" posts I assume. I can't see anything wrong with your account what could cause this, you want this video in your first post I'm assuming?

Yea, im not sure whats going on. Initially I thought it was because someone has to verify the post before its posted or something

Maybe we need to summon one of the caped crusader's up in here (supar admins), @Comprox, @AceDude I summon thou

And yes, as I see you have done. Thanks!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015

Yea, im not sure whats going on. Initially I thought it was because someone has to verify the post before its posted or something

I can even see the gear in the screen-shot you display in your video :D
    soygawl4jtxj.jpg
    edited September 2015
    Well technically it's a sprocket/cog, now that I look at it lol

- and we're talking about the first post of the thread, I wouldn't be surprised if this here forum of our is wonky with that for some people... It's a wonky place we live in here, almost to the point of being wacky...
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ok, just gave it a test and everything is fine on our end. Unfortunately either there is a bug in your browser, or maybe a plugin you have is blocking it? I would first try another browser and see if it works.
    Comprox wrote: »
    Ok, just gave it a test and everything is fine on our end. Unfortunately either there is a bug in your browser, or maybe a plugin you have is blocking it? I would first try another browser and see if it works.

Ok, no worries. Yea I was just able to edit the post on chrome on my phone, doesn't work on chrome on PC. I'll see whats happening
    edited September 2015

Ok, no worries. Yea I was just able to edit the post on chrome on my phone, doesn't work on chrome on PC. I'll see whats happening

Make sure it's not blocking some forum javascript ;)

Make sure it's not blocking some forum javascript ;)

Hmm, we I tried internet explorer and the gear still did nothing so, it must be server side, maybe the desktop version of the forum is bugged?
    its Java related. I used to get this for a while, also my sig disappeared when I blocked java for some reason.
    its Java related. I used to get this for a while, also my sig disappeared when I blocked java for some reason.

Hmm
    edited September 2015

Java =/= JavaScript . Its a common thing people get wrong ;)