I want to make some video's....and....They involve YOU, the COMMUNITY as a whole :)

Comments

• TBD_TheBlackDogTBD_TheBlackDog Australia m8 Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207842Members
    its Java related. I used to get this for a while, also my sig disappeared when I blocked java for some reason.

Java =/= JavaScript . Its a common thing people get wrong ;)

Haha fair enough
  • TBD_TheBlackDogTBD_TheBlackDog Australia m8 Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207842Members
    So I recently hit 100 subs and I thought I would also post this here since its got some NS2 stuff in it. I want to get a move on with NS2 videos this weekend. Ive had a few people offer their expertise and experience and have added me on steam, so I will no doubt be using that. If you want to do the same, feel free to. My steam name is the same as my name here. You could be featured in a video as well :smile:

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Great work! Strangely, searching for your name on Steam did not yield any results. Searched for "TBDTheBlackDog" instead worked.
    Hmm, that's weird. It' definitely has the underscore in it. Oh well, you found me so that's what counts ;)
    First episode of pro tips should be up today :smile:
    Its up! First episode of this series is now up! Take a look and give me some feedback, hope we can all get around this :)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Cargo vent is pretty handy. You will need that occasionally

You can get from west into the overlook vent by jumping on a couple of the overhang doodads too.

Strafe jump while circling with your mouse can get you decent acceleration backwards too.

Pistol is accurate, but won't kill anything except a skulk on full health. And you're often times better served saving the pistol for a fleeing alien. The pistol damage on units with armor is pitiful.

Protip. Once you start biting a few more, you can get to 2500 damage pretty reliably if you weren't spotted. We're talking typical natural distance. Roughly 50 percent of the rts effective health.

Decysting harvesters does a ton of damage too.

Aim for drifters first. Juicy juicy res sinks those.
    amoral wrote: »

You can get from west into the overlook vent by jumping on a couple of the overhang doodads too.

Strafe jump while circling with your mouse can get you decent acceleration backwards too.

Pistol is accurate, but won't kill anything except a skulk on full health. And you're often times better served saving the pistol for a fleeing alien. The pistol damage on units with armor is pitiful.

Protip. Once you start biting a few more, you can get to 2500 damage pretty reliably if you weren't spotted. We're talking typical natural distance. Roughly 50 percent of the rts effective health.

Great tips! Maybe we can organise a date and a server sometime? ;)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Great tips! Maybe we can organise a date and a server sometime? ;)

Would love to get involved in this, NA or EU?
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Neither, Australia m8 :)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Thought you guys went down under?

Thought you guys went down under?

Haha, we come back up every now and then!
    Part 2, 3 and 4 pro tips will hopefully be up today and tomorrow. Part 2 will be up in 5 :smile:
    Part 3, Aliens now :smiley:
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have to speak out now. I appreciate your efforts @TBD_TheBlackDog, we probably need more of this type of content. But many of these "tips" are just god- awful.

The "pro" you have giving advice, is confused on a lot of topics and is actively spreading misinformation imo. I can't in good conscience recommend these videos to anybody.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I have to speak out now. I appreciate your efforts @TBD_TheBlackDog, we probably need more of this type of content. But many of these "tips" are just god- awful.

The "pro" you have giving advice, is confused on a lot of topics and is actively spreading misinformation imo. I can't in good conscience recommend these videos to anybody.

I agree to some degree. Not all of them are awful but it seems like there is sometimes a lack of fully understanding the given game mechanics leading to misinterpretations / lack of context .
    If I was to reference any guide, I would reference List of Hidden Mechanics by Laosh'Ra.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=277017674

It may be a year old but alot of the mechanics there are still viable, using this guide I was able to be alot more effective which lead to a good increase in hive skill / KDR.

YMMV.
    Looked, all still relevant and good. As far as I know. Also, most important hidden mechanic listed.

Eggs can taunt.
    Lol! Out of all the flavors you could be, you chose to be salty! :D
    Lol! Out of all the flavors you could be, you chose to be salty! :D

*growl*

come at me bro.
    yeah i got no arms, legs or teeth, but i've got testicular fortitude. Just wait till i hatch, i'll eat your face off, and use it as a hat.

that's what an egg taunt means to me.
    SantaClaws wrote: »

Can I just ask, what tips exactly do you think are awful?

Ok, so let me just explain what this is all about. As Ive mentioned before, this video series is NOT a comprehensive guide. Its a gathering of any tips that anyone is willing to share. I have 2 more parts to these aliens, and I will just make sure that the content in them is explained better, but after that I am making a feedback/impressions video on the series so far, going over comments Ive recieved here and other places. Its not perfect. It wont be. Its simply getting involved with the community. If you think some tips are 'God Awful', let me know. Dont just say that they are in general, explicitly tell me WHICH ONES. I am actually quite annoyed with your harsh comment. I can understand it, and I do appreciate feedback, but still, it takes time to edit and put these together to just have them shot down like that. You can get involved in this if you like, Im happy with that. Share your knowledge on the game. Thank you for at least acknowledging my efforts :)
    Also, it wasnt just the one guy, a few others shared as well throughout these first few episodes.
    Looked, all still relevant and good. As far as I know. Also, most important hidden mechanic listed.

Eggs can taunt.

Thats what I thought. Most of them are quite good. Admittedly, a few don't have enough content atm, but that will be addressed in the future. Thanks for the input.
    Eggs can taunt? Well, let me add that to the list *The vicious scribbling of pen on paper*
    What im planning, is once we have a whole heap of tips, compile the best and most important and also put some together with each other, into a few big videos for each side. That way, as well, without me having to redo videos, we can fill in any gaps and all content will be there. I'm looking for people who might be interested in helping me compile these tips in the future :)

Eggs can taunt.

Thats what I thought. Most of them are quite good. Admittedly, a few don't have enough content atm, but that will be addressed in the future. Thanks for the input.
    Eggs can taunt? Well, let me add that to the list *The vicious scribbling of pen on paper*

actually my comment was for la-rouches hidden mechanics guide, as far as i know, nothing in that guide is obsolete. and the most important hidden mechanic in there is that there is an egg-taunt.

some little known things in there also, that some people might not be aware of,

you can do damage to a destroyed power node that's been partially rebuilt. you can bite it from that plug almost being in, back to the plug hanging all the way out. incidentally, it feels like it counts the number of hits, so spiking it might actually be the fastest way.

gorge can heal itself for double by pointing heal down... apparently, gets rid of AOE on the spray though.

exos can crush eggies underfoot.

different damage types.
    basically why welders are awesome at decysting but switching to axe takes down harvester faster, why pistoling after lmg is better than pistol before lmg, why fades should almost never hit buildings etc.

about what @SantaClaws was talking about.

the hidden mine in the beginning is pretty pointless, teaching you vent access vs general tips is also kind of pointless. cargo roofing, is pretty limited and also, pretty pointless.

i don't think good marines adadadad, the most problem i have with good marines is aim, positioning, awareness and sometimes them straight outjuking me, and that last one is in all 3 dimensions.

i've outjuked aliens moving every direction other than straight back. jumped over, ducked under, strafe jump back both directions and left and right of course.

also your wall jumping as a skulk... just understand that jumping off a wall gives you a speed boost, and jumping instantaneously after touching the ground doesn't lose you any speed.

chaining multiple jumps on a wall is slow. the only time i ever wallhump is when i'm climbing stairs, and i think i'll mess up my timing anyway, then i just spam jump next to the wall and it's slightly faster than ground skulking.

every good player knows that parasite is 10, skulk bite is 70 and a0 marines have 150 effective health. incidentally, 5 spits at 30 apiece. that your buddy didn't... doesn't speak well. every good player knows those, because it's so damn important early game. i've saved skulks form acoss the room with parasite before.

you should also tag marines whenever you can, just for map awareness. also, parasiting down mines doesn't take all that long.

also, skulk late game is primarily structure dps. grinding gates, and res, or sometimes that juicy low-hp obs.

bile bomb is nice, but i think skulks' single target damage is comparable. The skulk's purpose is to chew on nice things, fade for anti-infantry, and onos is to tank and horn their nice things and people during a push.

lerk mid game control with their spiking and mobility, and umbra, and late game just umbra really.

bleh, that was longer than i anticipated.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    amoral already did say enough about what it kinda wrong with some of the tips. My overall issue however is more the lack of context. You should make sure you give a reason why people should follow those tips (in what situation is it useful, why should you use it, what advantage does it give you).

@TBD_TheBlackDog I don't know if you have read this post of mine but that could give you a good idea on what category of techniques you should focus first.

Also i always recommend this video guide (however the advanced videos are a bit out-dated) to new players. It covers all important topics in a real nice and structured way. While watching it you always know why and when you should use a given technique and also get a descent understanding of the game mechanics overall.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members

every good player knows that parasite is 10, skulk bite is 70 and a0 marines have 150 effective health. incidentally, 5 spits at 30 apiece.

10, 75, 160 (100+(30x2)).

amoral already did say enough about what it kinda wrong with some of the tips. My overall issue however is more the lack of context. You should make sure you give a reason why people should follow those tips (in what situation is it useful, why should you use it, what advantage does it give you).

@TBD_TheBlackDog I don't know if you have this post of mine but that could give you a good idea on what category of techniques you should focus first.

Also i recommended this video serie (however it's a bit out-dated) in the past to new players. However it covers all important topics in a real nice and structured way. While watching it you always why and when you should use a given technique and also get a descent understanding of the game mechanics overall.

Ok, let me say this. READ MY ABOVE POST. This isn't a tutorial series. How many times do I have to say this? Its NOT perfect, its NOT a complete guide and was never intended to be either. Its simply a collection of tips that people might find useful, mixed with a bit of humor for some light-hearted entertainment. This isn't meant for rookies as much as it is meant for people who have a decent grasp on the game. I will cover this EXTENSIVELY in my feedback video. Look, I am in no position to call anyone out for being 'wrong' as I only have 111 hours clocked, but you've got to understand that this is no perfected guide that will turn a rookie into a veteran. At least im trying to do something with this community, a lot of the vets couldn't really give a shit (Obviously not including you guys), and they are the ones who should be taking a stand and leading something like this. But no, its a guy who is still learning but who genuinely wants to make a difference. As I keep learning about the game myself, I will begin to work on a tutorial for NS2, starting with marines. I think thats most definitely my strong point. After a lot of COD, marines definitely suits my style.

If you guys want to be critical about the tips, then perhaps we can organise something and you can share what you have! This isn't just from a few people, EVERYONE can and I want people to get involved! DONT JUST CRITICISE AND BE SO NEGATIVE, GET INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley:
    Perhaps you guys could help me make a full aliens tutorial. These are long term goals. I really just consider myself as the video maker. You guys share your knowledge, ill do the hard work and make a video out of it, also learning from yall as I go.