Submit Your Creature Ideas!

Comments

• gubbinator14gubbinator14 Knoxville, TN Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205034Members
    also, say you put something along the lines of a goblin shark, possibly combined with an angler fish, so a goblin shark with a bioluminescent bulb on the end of an antennae, that would be cool
  • gubbinator14gubbinator14 Knoxville, TN Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205034Members
    last one, there should be a type of giant squid (kraken) that will attack the cyclops. i think it should be like a giant squid, but with an exoskeleton so its like an armored giant squid
  • TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    Hi there

just coming with a video that I saw on the website of Le Monde. Some creature are very beautiful and could be used for inspiration ;)

http://www.lemonde.fr/planete/video/2015/05/29/rencontre-avec-des-creatures-sous-marines-dans-les-abysses-de-porto-rico_4643557_3244.html
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited May 2015
    Anyone familiar with The Future is Wild?

Well there's this really cool organism called the Ocean Phantom.

Full video
  • CrazyAcekingCrazyAceking New York, NY, 10003 Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204307Members
    Anyone familiar with The Future is Wild?

Well there's this really cool organism called the Ocean Phantom.

Full video
    Oh I LOVED that series. I especially loved all the cool creature designs, and the ocean phantom was my favorite!
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited May 2015
    Bugzapper said:
    [...]

If you really want to scare the living faecal matter out of a Subnautica diver, design your ideal aquatic Xeno-Murderbeast like this: Fairly small, [...] and capable of rending its victims apart within seconds

[...]
    That's the way of thinking!
    I'm actually surprised no one has posted a Mantis Shrimp until now.

And a nice little comic

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2015
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey

This guy is a bloodsucker, but instead of sucking blood in Subnautica, how about scaling it up a bit and making it an energy sucker, attacking your sub. And you can maybe use them in certain energy generation recipes?

Imagine seeing these things, upscaled on your sub's portholes!
  • GlarnBoudinGlarnBoudin In ur base, killing ur d00ds Join Date: 2015-06-01 Member: 205148Members
    A giant sea creature that looks like a pliosaur or mosasaur would be cool...
  • Ultrec37Ultrec37 Join Date: 2015-06-01 Member: 205154Members
    I think that there should be this huge, deadly looking skeleton of some long dead sea monster, implying that there is something that big still alive, not that there would be, but maby in a future update..... Here is a sketch that i drew of a posiblity...>>> (CLICK THE LINK INSERTED TYPE THINGY, IT"S TO LARGE TO BE DISPLAYED ON THIS PAGE)<<<<<<
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I think that some sort of clam like creature could be good, with a shell that opens and closes. Maby there could be large ones with some sort of pearl in them, but when you go near them they shut their shells, so you have to sneak up on them and jam the shell open with the knife, or use the stasis rifle. There could also be smaller ones that grow in large groups possibly in on the sides of the floater islands, and on their beaches. You could just pick those ones up and cook them, and also use their shells as calcium carbonate.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    From a story standpoint, a la metro-vania, it would be nice if some areas have fishes and creatures that will never follow you, and that attack you or harm in indirect ways, so that some areas are blocked until you have the proper equipment.

Super-acidic caves with tons of acid mushroom but only reachable with an acid resistant suit, or strange fishes that uses very strong sonar like horns that harms you (or that cracks your windows?) until you have a way to protect from the high frequency, etc. etc.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    From a story standpoint, a la metro-vania, it would be nice if some areas have fishes and creatures that will never follow you, and that attack you or harm in indirect ways, so that some areas are blocked until you have the proper equipment.

Super-acidic caves with tons of acid mushroom but only reachable with an acid resistant suit, or strange fishes that uses very strong sonar like horns that harms you (or that cracks your windows?) until you have a way to protect from the high frequency, etc. etc.
    We don't see strange creatures blocking the radiation zone. That's too much babying if you ask me. This is an exploration game and players should have the freedom to make terrible mistakes.
  • redterrierredterrier dk Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203049Members
    I think we still need a creature to scare the living s*** out of someone my idea was a squid like thing, it should be quite small 1/3 of the players size and shoulnot move towards the player when being looked at and it should get slowly closer and when close enough ink the water then move really quickly and should attack the player in some way, the damage should be high but I'm not sure how high. that is my idea. btw, camoflage is cool to but ink is a definite.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited June 2015
    Creatures (like crabs/etc) that are attracted to bases and eat base material. If they are not kept in check, their population will grow and they will eat holes into the base, causing it to flood. There would, of course, be a number of ways to handle them:
    1. Go out and kill them yourself. They would be small, fast, and hard to kill - but this could be done. The question is did you get the last one?
    2. Transplant a predatory/deterrant species of plant or animal next to your base
    3. Ignore them and just keep repairing your base. This would be a loosing battle over time, as the species overruns the area.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    We don't see strange creatures blocking the radiation zone. That's too much babying if you ask me. This is an exploration game and players should have the freedom to make terrible mistakes.
    No, you misunderstand me.  The radiation makes a pefect job of blocking an area of the game until you are properly equipped. No need to add to THAT.
    As you said, the player is free to go there and make mistakes.

I just wish there were MORE of these special areas that require creative solutions and crafting more specialized equipment.
    Nothing would prevent you ALSO to go to the acid area, for instance, except you will get hurt and your non-treated suit may melt. :-) see what I mean?

Racer1 said:
    2. Transplant a predatory/deterrant species of plant or animal next to your base
    Now that's an awesome idea for working with the ecology paradigm. love it!
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members

I don't think animals/plants should restrict your movements too much, but there could be some natural 'barricades'. High pressure is one. I'd also like to see some simple puzzle mechanics like using ice to cool down overheated tech in Aurora to unlock new areas (would need a fridge for that).

Racer1 said:
    Imagine putting stalkers next to your base. They would eat the buggers and also bring metal to your base for you to steal. They wouldn't probably like it that much, tho.

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Massive lifeforms (stationary on the sea floor) that you can go inside and explore. Inside are a multitude of completely different lifeforms that live symbiotically with their host, protecting, cleaning, and reproducing.

When I say this, I tend to think of the huge slug (exogorth) that Han accidentally flies into during one of the Star Wars movies. However, it can be much more complex than this. Perhaps the protectors are irritated when you try to move about inside their host. However, if you coat yourself with the goo from one of its parasites, they would stop attacking you for a while.
    ...(from an earlier thread)
  • kamandant_luftwafflekamandant_luftwaffle usa Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205213Members
    How about a biomechanic creature with the acronym WLSN, don't know what the acrynom should stand for though. You make him at the fabricator using the plastignot and a complex electronic pieces. Works in ways of a scavenger similar to Elizabeth in bioshock, but is very curious about the life around it provoking creatures and getting itself into trouble. But provides humor etc.
  • kamandant_luftwafflekamandant_luftwaffle usa Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205213Members
    A creature specific to night. Resembles a lobster that crawls around the shallows. During the day you'll see its antenna sticking out of various caverns. Should only be aggressive at night though
  • PunkeroPunkero Finland Join Date: 2015-04-22 Member: 203733Members
    5Raptorboy wrote: »
    It would be awesome if when you went to the drop off at the end of the map, there would be a rare chance to see an absolutely massive sea trader like creature slowly walk into the field of view, then out. I could see a lot of people getting scared at that. You couldn't touch it or anything, but considering that you can see it, it must mean it's tall enough to reach the ocean floor 3000 meters below...

This would be one hell of a easter egg!
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Relatively Traditional sea serpent please :)

jis2sfnk6vx5.jpg
  • AeronomerAeronomer Ohio Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206192Members
    I'd like to see more schools of fish, just for atmosphere. And more bottom-living critters. Until I know what the devs plan for defense/evasion, I'm a bit nervous about more predators. Subnautica is already a dangerous place.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Seldkam wrote: »

Im so pro this. Holy shit that would be so cool. Especially if its armored like the one in the picture. Right now even the reaper looks so.. Soft and Meaty.

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Lightdevil wrote: »
    Seldkam wrote: »

Im so pro this. Holy shit that would be so cool. Especially if its armored like the one in the picture. Right now even the reaper looks so.. Soft and Meaty.

Agreed... the only scary thing about the reaper is its A) Size B) Fang-like appendages around its face and C) Roaring

Most of that is true with any large predator though... lol. It's just not a very IN YOUR FACE I WILL KILL YOU sort of creature, since it looks like you could just ram it with a cyclops and kill it :P
  • GrizzardGrizzard Earth Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206295Members
    Something I'm surprised is not ingame already would be an ambush predator such as a giant clam or an angler with a lure. Imagine going to claim a sparklie looking piece of lithium but when you touch it ... SNAP!
  • SeabottomSeabottom Denmark Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202392Members
    This thread needs more Spore suggestions :)
  • FisteFiste USA Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204924Members
    Oriberus wrote: »
    Sorry something more images at once I know.

gw0b1yndx54u.jpg

would be terrifying as it approached.
  • BritemacBritemac Texas Join Date: 2015-07-20 Member: 206290Members
    I see alot of 'exists on earth add please' or 'mash these things together and boom' but I honestly don't like that, the sketches were pretty good, they did something I liked, made NEW things, things that aren't in another game or based off things we've seen. I like that, this is a new, uncharted world, with new life, things should resemble that. Stalkers for instance, they look much different than anything I've seen photo's of here on earth, but still, they fit in with the kelp forest and blend in with it a fair amount, Bone Sharks, while they look kinda shark like, don't fit anything that has been seen on earth that I know of. This world is a place where new things should be, not things we already know all about.