Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2015
    There are more than 1 or 2 new models in Derelict. We have a small art team in the CDT now :)

Also Posting this because.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Loki wrote: »
    no one paying attention to the CDT twitter feed? :(

whats twitter?
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2015
    yes there are new models in derelict, its a mix of 3dsmax 09 and blender using @beigealert plugin the ones you see in the above shot are from blender.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    yes there are new models in derelict, its a mix of 3dsmax 09 and blender using @beigealert plugin the ones you see in the above shot are from blender.

All the ones I did came from Blender. :P
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2015
    yes but they are other models in derelict from 3dsmax
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    yes but they are other models in derelict from 3dsmax

Yea like all of it... unless you're not counting the biodome stuff :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a skulk I enjoy hiding it those melons... ;)
    decoy at it again lowering the tone of the forums!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

They're just static props, so they'll get covered in infestation same as everything else.

Gonna look pretty weird when trees get infested.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »

They're just static props, so they'll get covered in infestation same as everything else.

Game about alienbacteria, nanites and marines from the future who fight spacecows with axes.
    Weird seems fitting.
    coolitic wrote: »

Never thought to look for that before, but it never really stuck out to me, so I guess it's not that bad.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    is this all a tease or is the patch actually scheduled to arrive this year
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Lamb wrote: »
    is this all a tease or is the patch actually scheduled to arrive this year
    Sorry for your hemorrhoid problem. Hope it gets better.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2015
    I heard the patch will come in summer. Is it summer yet? No. Be patient!
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    nice to see that people are making new things
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I heard the patch will come in summer. Is it summer yet? No. Be patient!

In Africa it's always summer!
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    edited May 2015
    It's getting really frustrating in public games now. All marines have to do is to rush to the alien natural extractors and camp. It becomes a shooting gallery as they just wait for aliens to attack. Meanwhile they tech up for the eventual win.

Can we set their run speed so they're 20% slower than aliens? Their speed can gradually get faster as they get armor improvements. (ie. they start out with steel armor ---> kevlar ---> titanium)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    cpt000 said:
    It's getting really frustrating in public games now. All marines have to do is to rush too the alien naturals and camp. It becomes a shooting gallery as they just wait for aliens to attack. Meanwhile they tech up.

Can we set their run speed so they're 20% slower than aliens? Their speed can gradually get faster as they get armor improvements. (ie. they start out with steel armor ---> kevlar ---> titanium)
    I am sorry to tell you, but that is a stack. Marines should try to kill alien naturals, but they shouldn't be able to camp them. If marines can deny your naturals like that, the only option you have is to rush base or concede.
    edited May 2015
    Nordic said:
    cpt000 said:
    It's getting really frustrating in public games now. All marines have to do is to rush too the alien naturals and camp. It becomes a shooting gallery as they just wait for aliens to attack. Meanwhile they tech up.

I am sorry to tell you, but that is a stack. Marines should try to kill alien naturals, but they shouldn't be able to camp them. If marines can deny your naturals like that, the only option you have is to rush base or concede.
    So annoying to be handicapped right off the bat. NS2stats also backs me up: marines win a lot of games lasting less than 10 minutes. It'd be fair if the aliens could pull off the same strategy but it happens less often since they can't get medpacks.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    That's... kinda of how the game is played. And aliens can definitively win in the first couple minutes too just by pressuring naturals. Or thru more CHEESE tactics i.e. whole team sneaks into one vent near marine start... wait for marines to expand just past their naturals, then rush chair. 
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @cpt000
    Small tip:
    Dont play on clusterfucked wooza or other >24 slot servers.

And a small tip to CDT:
    These kind of servers killing NS2 in the long run.
    But i know you dont care about that, wich is kinda sad.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    dePARA said:
    @cpt000
    Small tip:

And a small tip to CDT:
    there are a large number of players who only play on woozas server and no other server. I would say its helping to keep the game alive.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    dePARA said:
    @cpt000
    Small tip:

And a small tip to CDT:
    A lot of things are killing NS2. I wouldn't go that far. But basically, I do not play the game on public servers since it's become quite boring. The few times I launch NS2, join a game, it gets annoying after a couple of minutes. I know it's not always true but I must have been unlucky lately. Larger servers do not afford a worse quality right now. It says a lot...

Honestly, I won't go this way and claim that larger servers shouldn't be allowed. It's up to the players to join whatever server they want to play on. But there comes a time, when the amount of servers reaches a point it becomes not that easy to find a game, you'll have to connect on that kind of server. Not because you enjoy those games but more because you can be sure you'll have a game, at least and you do know what to expect anyway.

Those servers have an advantage that smaller servers do not own. It's almost always full. Why? Let's say 50% of a 24 slots server is filled, it means only 12 players which is not acceptable on public. Take the same example with a 48 slots server, even with only 30% of it being full, it's still enough to play a game and I'm sure it has an important role in maintaining those servers always filled. You can already join these servers and have a couple of games even though it's not full yet. You can't do it on any other servers.

So, Wooza = not killing the game.

No other good servers (without awaiting 15minutes to fill them up) to play on = killing the game.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Even though I strongly dislike large servers because its one huge clusterf... they indeed do bleed out less.
    Now specificly talking about Wooza's, they usually try to keep that thing running as well as it should run. So if the server is running great, id say let them.
    edited May 2015
    cpt000 said:
    So annoying to be handicapped right off the bat. NS2stats also backs me up: marines win a lot of games lasting less than 10 minutes. It'd be fair if the aliens could pull off the same strategy but it happens less often since they can't get medpacks.

Lots of games, or most (>50%) games? That is an important distinction. I wish ns2 stats was still up so I could see if marines were winning most games under 10 minutes. Historically I remember aliens win most games under 10 minutes but I can't check that either.
    edited May 2015
    It wasn't just the big servers - I see the same strat about 40% of the time on the busy North American servers: diamond and ibis. Aliens at 0.00 to 3.00 are at a tremendous disadvantage because they can't get upgrades and their low hp.

Meanwhile the marines can get medpacked - i.e. infinite hp. The game only gets worse as alien natural harvesters get hijacked by the waiting marines. The alien comm has no other way to get res since it depends on infestation.

After getting curb stomped for 3 consecutive rounds, I usually quit the server. No point playing if NS2 is no fun.

Last time I looked the win/loss was at 62% in favor of marines in games lasting less than 10 minutes.

I've played on Wooza servers and I think it's actually more dynamic since the tide of battle can change really quickly & unpredictably with that many players. A team of 7 aliens can take down a marine base very quickly.

2cough said:
    That's... kinda of how the game is played. And aliens can definitively win in the first couple minutes too just by pressuring naturals. 
    True - but generally I don't see that as often since aliens can't get medpacked. So they can only delay the marines for a while.