Build 273 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Meh, not worth the effort to be honest.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    Meh, not worth the effort to be honest.

Uhh... ok... well for anyone who feels like it is worth their time - here is another way to (quickly) give us the info we need:

Open console at the menu (~ key) and type ns2_summit. Once you spawn in the ready room, type in the console:

cheats 1
    j2
    switch
    give shotgun
    profile (press spacebar a few times to make sure its running and is not paused)

Now find and shoot a cyst and immediately press spacebar to pause the profiler when you do
    Use the arrow keys to highlight the tallest yellow frame at the bottom of screen
    Then expand the longest horizontal purple bars at the top of the screen by clicking on the top (longest) bar until you cant go down any further
    Press F12 for screenshot
    Upload to imgur and link it here.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    If I hadn't seen *every* single blue background responder in this forum actively stacking aliens to have a bully attempt at new players ... I might. You get what you (inadvertently) ask for, I guess.

Number one reason why you don't have 54,000 players: You didn't make FPS a goal until it was too late. Now it's a 'skill (hardware)' + 'knowledge (I don't like to teach)' game vs greens - all, wait, lemme guess, 540 of them? Missing some zeros there, chief.

Hint: Don't build your house in a pine forest. Maybe that should circumvent 'uniting the world through play' ...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    @IronHorse‌
    Here's a Plog from a round i played as marines on thirsty onos a minute ago; FPS drops most noticeable when welding stuff or killing cysts. Was getting 38 fps or something welding in base near the start of the round.
    http://www.filedropper.com/meatmachineplog

And also here's 2 profile screenshots from starting listen server and a) hitting cyst with SG and b) welding armory, if that helps at all.
    http://imgur.com/53iJUfG,hTffmTx
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    Im gonna miss that pipe prop
  • XwillXwill Join Date: 2015-01-24 Member: 201022Members
    http://speedy.sh/pfnze/tech-support.zip
    http://speedy.sh/Z7NuX/client-0124-131806.plog

Here are my plog.

The FPS tend to have problem when there are many objects around. E.g. Players or constructions, weapons on floor, etc. And when huge lag when genede explode near me.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    The fun of GL is gone.

At least reduce the cost to 15 or maintain DPM (reduce reload cycle and reduce dmg to structures.)
  • Das19Das19 Nederland Join Date: 2015-01-23 Member: 201011Members
    http://speedy.sh/6GEav/client-0124-140924.zip

this is my plog

switched to dx9 dit reduce the issue a bit but still an issue with a lot of objects around.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2015
    edit: sent to cdt

For reference, my in-game would never at any point go below 120-was generally at 170-200 until later game when it went to 120 - you should see a lowest of 60 or so and max around 130~ wasn't running too hot, hope it helps though!
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    Just came off a game on jarhedz, had really bad microstutters which wasn't there prior to patch, latency was decent, server was, decent player count.

Don't know if @GhoulofGSG9‌ experienced the same as he was on the same server

Made it hard work trying to get a bite as a lerk, this a global issue so far?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for that data! (and a big special thank you to @rkfg‌ !)

We now believe we know why this occurred, and are testing the fix so we can get it to you asap.
    As a result, we no longer need your data.

I thought it would never happen.
    Now; everyone can move on. Thank you.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited January 2015
    GL nerf is great. Bye bye stupid pub GL spam that randomly oneshots you. It might actually require some skill again to kill stuff in this game.
    Now let's bring this to compmod (I think it has not been implemented yet, and I don't even know if the compmod team wants to. @rantology).
    The problem of the GL was that unlike the FT, it was both damaging structures and players pretty well, and if you could manage that horrible and random weapon you could actually do a lot of damage. Less spam and pray, a little bit more aim and skill. Perfect for a support weapon. That what it was intended for, and not to be able to go solo-rambo against lifeforms
    Thanks everyone for that data! (and a big special thank you to @rkfg‌ !)

We now believe we know why this occurred, and are testing the fix so we can get it to you asap.
    As a result, we no longer need your data.

Our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused to the users effected by it. We realize how frustrating this must be, and are trying to get it resolved as fast as humanly possible.
    It definitely slipped past our QA process due to being somewhat of an edge case. It is most easily reproduced in the Linux build with lots of mods, and since our team is almost entirely comprised of windows users - who definitely tested with mods, just not a large amount - and considering the varying hardware of our team, we just did not notice an issue.

Also, on a related but different topic: We are aware of the possible Nvidia driver related fps loss for 970 and 980 gtx users which began around patch 272. (Thanks @ezekel‌ !)
    So even after we fix this issue that was introduced in 273, users who own said video cards may need to roll back their GPU drivers until we can get Nvidia to roll out a better driver.

Thanks for the quick work. Look forward to the patch.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2015
    @IronHorse‌

introduced 273 or 272? I believe 272 was when the performance dropped on me. Either way hope it's an easy fix, thanks.
  • Mordecai WalfishMordecai Walfish Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164803Members
    edited January 2015
    if you do not want to roll back your drivers (because 344.11 has great input delay changes)

Where can I learn more about the "input delay changes" in the 344.11 driver you are speaking about? Also, are those changes still effective in more recent drivers? I'm using the 347.09 WHQL drivers currently but have seen multiple mentions of input lag reduction in the 344.11 drivers both here and elsewhere, so as a system tweaker I am very curious about this. Thanks!

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    GL nerf is great. Bye bye stupid pub GL spam that randomly oneshots you. It might actually require some skill again to kill stuff in this game.
    Now let's bring this to compmod (I think it has not been implemented yet, and I don't even know if the compmod team wants to. @rantology).
    The problem of the GL was that unlike the FT, it was both damaging structures and players pretty well, and if you could manage that horrible and random weapon you could actually do a lot of damage. Less spam and pray, a little bit more aim and skill. Perfect for a support weapon. That what it was intended for, and not to be able to go solo-rambo against lifeforms

cmod is more or less at a standstill, largely due to competitive population decline and the inability to test any new changes. If it were to ever become active again, the GL would be one of the top issues on the list (we had some alternative ideas to try as well for it).

I'm not sure if the vanilla changes will be carried to cmod, the weapon is already pretty rarely used and these nerfs would certainly put the nail in the coffin for it.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2015
    ....and since our team is almost entirely comprised of windows users - who definitely tested with mods, just not a large amount - and considering the varying hardware of our team, we just did not notice an issue.

Have the playtesters all the same hardware or what? tested it with five different machines (WindowsOS), all showed about same FPS drop in %.

With that amount of playtesters this should have detected before the build should even be out.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    wooza wrote: »
    ....and since our team is almost entirely comprised of windows users - who definitely tested with mods, just not a large amount - and considering the varying hardware of our team, we just did not notice an issue.

Have the playtesters all the same hardware or what? tested it with five different machines (WindowsOS), all showed about same FPS drop in %.

With that amount of playtesters this should have detected before the build should even be out.

None of this lag showed up in playtesting. Only in the live build did shotguns suddenly become hitchey for myself and others.

Personally, I think it's GREAT that the CDT has worked their butts of to get this fixed asap, rather than just adding it to some pile of bugs to work on later, like most other developers would.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Downloading mods... and the mod never downloads.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    KKyle wrote: »
    Downloading mods... and the mod never downloads.

This time it seems it's STEAM. No game (using cloud) launch properly.

Apparently it's not only in my country. Steam updated and "kaboom". Since 2 hours. I used a VPN to look like i'm connecting from Holland, New York etc... same cloud issue.

Somebody at STEAM will surely hear about it. That somebody that shouldn't have pushed the button no one should push during Week End... Ever.

Anybody confirms ?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The reason this was most likely not found during playtests is that it only occurs if you load 5+ mods. During playtests we never load that many mods. But thanks to the community we could track down the issue quickly. Hotfix is hopefully soon (no promises)
    Thanks again, everyone in CDT.
    @CDT you may want to check that.

When connecting to a server the game will check if all required mods are available on client. I suppose "Hand shake and hellos", "Server : here is my mod list", Client : i'm gonna mount them". And the Client tries to get the required mod if not already downloaded.

But it also tries to download all mods the client subscribed to; even if they are not needed (another map for example). If STEAM has issues like tonight. It just not connecting to the server.

That is bad luck.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    @UncleCrunch‌
    This has definitely been brought up before, because it seems like a waste of time and also increases the risk of failure, but it would be hard to deem which client subscribed mods were actually necessary depending on that server. I mean yea, there's no need to download caged if you are joining a server running summit, but what about menu mods that just received an update, or a custom model that is allowed on some servers but not others due to consistency setting differences?

It all gets very messy, quickly, and tbh it would be more worthwhile to just fix the issue - this is why this patch allows server operators to set a backup location from which to download their server's mods, should Steam Workshop fail.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    What are the chances of a hotfix?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice to know there's a hotfix coming but I would like to ask and it might have been mentioned in the thread already but, onos does half damage to structures and axe does half damage to structures. Welders I also think don't get a damage bonus against cysts now but that's still undecided (im offline atm and its late). Is the CDT aware of this or is it just me?