[nvidia] the performance drop in NS2

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited January 2015 in Technical Support
So it turns out one card in specific the 970 gtx by nvidia (probably more) begin to stop working properly when they get near their VRAM max. Since the latest ns2 updates I noticed my framerate went to crap (but im using agtx 680) and a few other 900x series users reported the same.

So whether or not this is GPU specific (seems unlikely) I believe this is a driver problem by nvidia, and anyone with the 900 series should essentially be screwed as the first gpu driver (344.11 WHQL) that supports the 900 series apparently has this issue. . So basically anyone with a 900 series will have issues, and anyone below that series using 344.11 above should have issues.

I believe you don't notice it in other games because no other game comes close to using your maximum VRAM like ns2 does.

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2015
    link of report here: http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/nvidias-gtx970-has-a-rather-serious-memory-allocation-bug/

Just want to say this is me brainstorming, I'm just making what I think is a relation here
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I don't think it's related as we're getting reports from people using other cards as well. There was a new driver release yesterday, though. I'm running both a 970 and the new drivers (as are a number of other playtesters) and I've never had these performance problems so I highly doubt this is the issue.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    link of report here: http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/nvidias-gtx970-has-a-rather-serious-memory-allocation-bug/

Just want to say this is me brainstorming, I'm just making what I think is a relation here

That problem happens when using 3.5gb of vram, and I don't think ns2 uses that much.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This may be specific to the 970 / 980 users.
    Since they were reporting performance issues BEFORE 273.. and they were the only ones reporting this.
    edited January 2015
    Narfwak wrote: »
    I don't think it's related as we're getting reports from people using other cards as well. There was a new driver release yesterday, though. I'm running both a 970 and the new drivers (as are a number of other playtesters) and I've never had these performance problems so I highly doubt this is the issue.

Are you also getting performance drops too? In the main thread I made the post about my performance drops - so you think something got loose in one of the updates?
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This may be specific to the 970 / 980 users.
    Since they were reporting performance issues BEFORE 273.. and they were the only ones reporting this.

My performance problems came from 272(still exists in 273), before that I don't believe I had any - but like I said I changed drivers in the meanwhile and just thought it was the main cause

Uhhhh what can I do on my end to supply info to help u guys out if anything
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I think providing a comparison screenshots of the same exact scene and position between the two different drivers, using the "fps" console command, would be the very best example.
    Then post that on the appropriate nvidia driver forums - bonus points if you tweet some PR monkey, or any other means of contacting Nvidia that you can think of.
    While we're at it : paging @Dictator93‌ in case he still has his inside guy at Nvidia ;)

Workaround:

If you are a 970 or 980 GTX user and are tracking this VRAM allocation issue and do not want to roll back your drivers (because 344.11 has great input delay changes) you can simply limit the amount of VRAM that Natural selection 2 uses in the options! Either change the Texture memory setting to 1.5 GB (since higher than that is 2GB+ = unlimited, really) OR for something more accurate, you can manually type in the console "r_texmax 3072" without the quotes.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Using 4GB of VRAM is huge, what are you guys playing on 4k with everything maxed?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I went and tried ns2 at 4k with max settings and at most I got was 2.2gb vram usage.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    By the way, it seems like this issue isn't isolated to NS2 :-) . I thought it's a bit amusing myself.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html
    edited January 2015
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    By the way, it seems like this issue isn't isolated to NS2 :-) . I thought it's a bit amusing myself.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

I really don't think that is related. Only the 970 is affected by that, and 980's are having issues with ns2 also. That and I don't think ns2 uses more than 3.5GB of vram ever. The memory is partitioned in such a way that it will use all of the 3.5GB before using the .5GB of slower memory.

Here is a great write up on the issue, or more non issue.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/4
    @Nordic‌

One of our new CDT members got the VRAM to 4 GB when using OpenGL ;)
    @Nordic‌

One of our new CDT members got the VRAM to 4 GB when using OpenGL ;)
    An edge case scenario, but I guess it is possible then.

Still though, the vram problem is only on the 970 not the 980.
    edited January 2015
    Not true, read that article and see the official response from NVidia, its a chart including both.
    Over 3.5 GB usage can equal 50% loss in FPS in some games

edit: Ok i see what you mean with the issue being 970 specific, but I think it doesn't matter if the end result is the same. Not that I would ever game with 4k resolutions anyways ;)
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    I am using an Nvidia GTX 780M (laptop)

Prior to this build everything was fine. Now am getting massive FPS drops, especially if I am throwing a nade
    Nvidia driver version 347.09

Game is unplayable now....
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please take a PLOG with p_logall and we'll look into it. Since we don't have that type of hardware on hand, it makes it difficult to determine what the issue is. You can upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox or Mega.co.nz.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    AlienJu wrote: »
    I am using an Nvidia GTX 780M (laptop)

Prior to this build everything was fine. Now am getting massive FPS drops, especially if I am throwing a nade
    Nvidia driver version 347.09

Game is unplayable now....

Experiencing exactly the same thing @Zavaro and @IronHorse

Rocking a MSI GTX 770 using the latest Geforce drivers, cluster grenades will cause my fps to plummet from 80fps right down to below 30fps, this never happened pre 273.

I have renamed clusters FPS grenades for the meantime, as I don't get any frames when I use them :D

I even lowered the texture memory ingame to 1.5 instead of 2gig to see if that made a difference, it didn't.

I'll upload the files you need first, then rollback my driver to see if the conditions change, atleast we can narrow it down to definately being the driver and not so much the cards or patch 273 themselves.
    @Yojimbo @AlienJu

Please see if your issue still exists after the hotfix is released today (very shortly)
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    Yep, fixed it. Great stuff :D
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    Yup, fixed, my reign of cluster grenade death can continue :)

What exactly was causing it @Zavaro
    edited February 2015
    So let this thread continue solely for the purposes of Nvidia GPU owners experiencing a loss of FPS after 344.11 WHQL
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    ac1049a3cc.jpg

I don't know what happened with NS2 but after almost a year of "FPS improvements" my FPS just keeps getting worse on higher end hardware, that sees no improvements in FPS from GPU or CPU overclocks or SLI.

I wouldn't say it's GTX970 owners only @IronHorse I really don't expect to drop sub 100FPS with this hardware when a year ago I didn't go below 120 doing the same lap of kodiak when it was arguably less optimized.

It's a stuttery mess on low :/
    edited February 2015
    So let this thread continue solely for the purposes of 970 GTX owners experiencing a loss of FPS

It wasnt just 970, my 770 was brought to its knees before the hotfix came out.
    edited February 2015
    @Yojimbo That's because the hotfix was for something else - these issues that nvidia users have seen lately are due to the driver update last winter.
    We began getting reports during a time when it had been over a month since we had pushed out an update.

@Cr4zyb4st4rd I Wish you would have used the same 5960 for that last test with a 680.. now it's hard to determine if the FPS difference is from that 4770k
    In any case 100 fps for a minimum is not a bad state for a game - that being said we can still look into this despite my suspicion of it being driver induced.
    Can you supply your techsupport zip file ... and are you familiar with how to make Plogs?

Edit: Have you tried rolling back your drivers pre 344.11 WHQL ?
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The 5960X should in no way cause that FPS differance, both 5960x and 4770k are Haswell at equal clocks the difference in cpu should be practically nothing.

I've run some tests looks like something else is atleast causing some of my FPS differances between systems, not neccesarily NS2. It's just a massive 35FPS differance between systems.

However, 344.11 makes 0 FPS differance and SLI also appears to be making things worse.
    cr4zy can you run the test with 337.88 whql, and compare to 344.11 whql
    337.88 is pre-980 release :3 and i can't seem to find anything that looks too official :D
    Yes exactly @Cr4zyb4st4rd that's the point :)
    It should still work for the card though.

I have submitted a report with Nvidia and they said they are looking at it
    Gave it a shot, 337.88 WHQL refuses to install, doesn't detect compatible hardware.