Solution to Workshop mod problems

12346»

Comments

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I still see the server go down multiple times a day every single day due to the workshop problems.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I still see the server go down multiple times a day every single day due to the workshop problems.

Same thing happening on my servers. There are some good custom maps that I would like to add but there is no point when they keep crashing the server.
    Yea, I often find my pub server without admin ect b/c the workshop failed to load. If I had custom maps that would have taken my server down and so the solution is to not use custom maps.

Over time this problem will kill off the modding community b/c who wants to make maps when no one can play them.
    Still getting the daily workshop down errors. I hope this issue is resolved as we move into the holidays as I think this year we can expect it to be down more than up when it gets near Christmas and new years.
    Restarting for the 5th time today... well maybe it will be down more than up sooner than expected.
    "Approved for 271"

Does this mean what I think it means!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    edited December 2014
    Correct. You'll have matso to thank for this. :x

I hope it will work without the input from operators on the front line, since none of us has been invited to take a closer look at the approach. There's a chance we are able to identify problems before they arise.
    Fixed, tested, and ready to rock.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Hopefully that new build releases soon, have been restarting my server constantly for the last 10+min and still not getting any mods to load. Oh finally after over 20 attempts it looks like I can not get as many as "some" of the mods to load from the workshop....
    Looks like the workshop is dead for today...
  • profallprofall Join Date: 2005-08-02 Member: 57354Members
    edited January 2015
    It's getting to the point that I am considering setting up an SVN so people can update their Workshop folder in appdata prior to launching the game, have to see if the mod developers would participate though and keep the SVN updated.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    hawk6 wrote: »
    It's getting to the point that I am considering setting up an SVN so people can update their Workshop folder in appdata prior to launching the game, have to see if the mod developers would participate though and keep the SVN updated.

Nah no need for that, all needed now are mirror file hosting servers providing the mods in case steam workshop is down. But we are working on that part.

BTW most ns2 modders use git and github anyway so no need for svn :P
    Just let the game servers host the mods directly. We are still having the issues for "Missing Required Mod"

Still can not run custom maps on servers b/c of how big a joke the workshop is: http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/showthread.php/12994-Please-REMOVE-ns2_nyx-from-the-votelist?p=193226#post193226
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Just let the game servers host the mods directly. We are still having the issues for "Missing Required Mod"

Still can not run custom maps on servers b/c of how big a joke the workshop is: http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/showthread.php/12994-Please-REMOVE-ns2_nyx-from-the-votelist?p=193226#post193226

We are on it .... https://trello.com/c/bifevnxR/729-add-support-for-backup-mod-server
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts

We are on it .... https://trello.com/c/bifevnxR/729-add-support-for-backup-mod-server

As Ghoul said, but I think it's more due to workshop not liking when people take more than 15 seconds to do anything. This is also being work on currently.
    I see that to fix this we need to go to ns2\utils\workshopbackup\readme.txt however that directory does not even exist...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If anyone wants to use the exe version of the workshopbackup-server here it is: http://goo.gl/BZnFNc

Notice that this is a c-wrapped version of the python one (modified version so server params get stored into a json config file)
    HellwireD wrote: »
    Can't find ns2\utils\workshopbackup\ :-/

Yeah it was shipped with the client packet only. (Damn you build machine) Just copy paste it to the server ;)
    even worse workshiop mods that get updated after this buid fail 100% of the time

You can only get them if you are already connected to the server or connect when the server is loading.
    edited January 2015
    but where do we place thsoe files

nvm,

the issue is there is no instructions on how to create or setup the server. Only how to link to said server once it is setup.

In addition workshop mods are now 100% broken. For example now that ns2+ has been updated no one can join the server no matter how many restarts or map changes unless they are already on the server or connect exactly when the map change occurs. If you connect outside of that time you will get missing mod 100% of the time. The only solution is to disable all mods that have been update since this patch.
    edited January 2015
    but where do we place thsoe files

nvm,

the issue is there is no instructions on how to create or setup the server. Only how to link to said server once it is setup.

In addition workshop mods are now 100% broken. For example now that ns2+ has been updated no one can join the server no matter how many restarts or map changes unless they are already on the server or connect exactly when the map change occurs. If you connect outside of that time you will get missing mod 100% of the time. The only solution is to disable all mods that have been update since this patch.

Well it's not that hard:

Make a folder at your server, get the python script or the exe (depending on your os) and place it in that folder.

If you use the python script directly, make sure you installed python 3.3+!
    • Run the exe or python script.
    • (Edit the backup server config params).
    • Restart it.
    • Check if it's running via the test link.
    • (If needed unlock/port-forward the given port)
    • Set up a screening job or whatever else to keep it alive.
    • Add it to your serverconfig.json.
    • Restart the game server.
    • Done.

Overall all difficult steps are explained in the readme.txt, the rest was taken as elementary for server ops. Might be we need to update it so everyone can use it.
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    o cmon zero you can't expect polished stuff that a child can use from the cdt. be glad matso made this hack up job for us. took me 3 mins to set up, not counting the time scratching my head about where the files might be.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue

People could not connect due to a failed consistency check, however it seems to be fixed now 8->
    wooza wrote: »

People could not connect due to a failed consistency check, however it seems to be fixed now 8->

Do you use a backup server?