Subnautica Earliest Access - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Earliest Access - Subnautica

Since creating the first underwater prototype in January of 2013, I’ve been obsessed with the underwater and the unknown. Actually, this obsession goes back much farther than that, which is...

Read the full story here

Comments

• AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is exciting! If you'll find any bugs on the website, please mention me.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Welcome to the madhouse. I am useless. Unless you have a problem with AceDude. Then mention me and I will wake him up to fix stuff :P
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Exciting! I can't wait to see where we go from here.
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    so i cant play it till the 31? but i get the folders of the builds everyday?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    ITSSS HAPPPENNIINNGGG

Yes :)

Summary of all the get:

Get access to Subnautica on Steam (From October 31)
    Get 7 gameplay prototypes (One unlocks each day until October 31)
    Get the DRM Free soundtrack with 12 tracks

AND

If you are one of the first 10,000 to purchase Subnautica Special Edition, get a limited run personalised Hull Plate to put on a bulkhead aboard your Cyclops Submarine, recording your purchase number / 10,000 and the date your launched into the Subnautica ocean.

http://subnauti.ca
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Every day until the 31st you will get access to a new prototype of the game through Humble Bundle, and on the 31st you will be able to link up a Steam copy and play either the latest weekly build, or the daily experimental build. We're hoping to get a LOT of feedback and discussion to help build an awesome game!
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    well i'm sold. already put the sound track in my steam music library. and the first prototype is fun as heck just to mess with atm. (even tho i have no clue what i am doing in it)
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not working for me, black screen on "new game" :D
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Darn. Haven't got the money for it yet...I'm hoping to get it before all the hull plates are gone.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Wait, this isn't the EarliEST, it's The EarliER of the early access builds.
    The underwater prototype was the earliest. :P
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    This is awesome. So stoked for what's coming.
  • SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    New to the forums, yet ive been watching the development of the game for a while. Excited for it, but very wary of early access games since I purchased starbound.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    New to the forums, yet ive been watching the development of the game for a while. Excited for it, but very wary of early access games since I purchased starbound.
    Yup, we hear ya, and that is why we are #1 not putting this up on Steam early access yet and #2 really trying to inform people as to what they will be getting by signing up early. Currently the version that is going up on the 31st is just a fraction of the gameplay that is planned for the game, but we have loads of stuff in the works and the pace of gameplay and content additions to the game will be pretty fast.

We just wanted to get this into people's hands and we know there are people who love to be involved in the very early development of a game, because their feedback can really make a difference. And for us it is really helpful to get a much broader spectrum of feedback by opening it up to the public. But we really want to stress this is just for the really dedicated fans who want to support us in our endeavors, and are willing to ride (or swim) all the ups and downs that come with such an early, early....EARLY access like this.
  • MaverickNZMaverickNZ New Zealand Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199115Members
    Been watching this a while, looks like a great concept.
    Bought today and had a play, good to see the basic physics, here's hoping that you continue to keep a reasonably realistic view on them (not too arcady!) :)
  • SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    Yup, we hear ya, and that is why we are #1 not putting this up on Steam early access yet and #2 really trying to inform people as to what they will be getting by signing up early. Currently the version that is going up on the 31st is just a fraction of the gameplay that is planned for the game, but we have loads of stuff in the works and the pace of gameplay and content additions to the game will be pretty fast.

We just wanted to get this into people's hands and we know there are people who love to be involved in the very early development of a game, because their feedback can really make a difference. And for us it is really helpful to get a much broader spectrum of feedback by opening it up to the public. But we really want to stress this is just for the really dedicated fans who want to support us in our endeavors, and are willing to ride (or swim) all the ups and downs that come with such an early, early....EARLY access like this.

Ahhhh alright you got my (or more specifically my wonderful girlfriends) 35 bucks. But you better be damned ill give as much feedback as humanely possible, or my name isnt Squidd. A. Pult.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I have successfully borked my first sub.

Apparently too much ballast on one side is not physics-firiendly.

Rest in piece BlockMobile, you will be missed.

Looks very promising guys :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    well so long as you warn people that the early access will be EXTREMELY riddled with bugs, there shouldn't be a problem
    I personally loved bughunting in the Ns2 alpha/beta. 'twas fun.
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yay, my first drowning!!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wow, what a cashgrab! I can't believe you're selling this! The game is barely playable in its current state!!! I had five metal, I was a rich man, and then I died! JUST LIKE THAT! Had I known you were taking real money for a piece of garbage, I would have rather spend it on getting my teeth pulled out! Because that's how much I hate your game! And you! And your mothers! FILTHY THIEVES!!!

Just preparing you for the Steam release }:D (thank god it's not Early Access!)

No, seriously, what a lovely concept for getting funds! I love the prototype build idea! UWE are the best!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Count me in, looking forward to my personalised number plate :D
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    And so am I. Excellent idea!
  • LudwigXLudwigX Join Date: 2013-05-23 Member: 185351Members
  • MistwalkerMistwalker England Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199108Members
    Ordered and waiting eagerly for the 31st. I, too am very interested to see what hull ID # I get. It may spawn a hobby within the game. Instead of train or plane spotters, we may well get Cyclops spotters :)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bought the instant I saw it was available on twitter, No Idea what I will get for that price tag, but sticking with you for so long it's like buying a round of drinks for you guys! KEEP MOVING FORWARD UWE!
  • BandersaurBandersaur Australia Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199120Members
    It appears that this has turned into the impromptu introduction thread as well. =D

Ordered, I think I got plate no.9, and I honestly can't wait to see where this goes. I might drown, but at least i'll drown alongside a great community.

eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUBMARINESANDUNDERWATERWHYHASTHISGAMENOTBEENMADEALREADYILOVEYOUGUYS!!!
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    This is the day I've been waiting for! A little less than a year back when I got the secret twitter handle I posted on some thread that I was gonna buy it the day it could be, and so I did.
    I found a treasure partially clipped inside a cliff! Also huge flippers and oxygen tanks! I even accidentally got outside the map! :D

By the way, as a scubadiver myself I have to ask: is the heavy breathing sound that comes when you start running out of air still in the latest version? I'm just pointing out that IF it is, maybe some kind of beeping warning sounds could be a little better since realistically when you run out of air you're breathing normally and then suddenly you can't breath anymore.
  • TentaculeTentacule France Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190179Members
    Nice news ! I've got it now !
  • CapricaCaprica Join Date: 2012-01-15 Member: 140554Members
    Done and done. This is extremely exciting stuff, indeed. I look forward to being a part of another Unknown Worlds journey! Everything's better under the sea!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    well so long as you warn people that the early access will be EXTREMELY riddled with bugs, there shouldn't be a problem
    I personally loved bughunting in the Ns2 alpha/beta. 'twas fun.
    Yup, we are doing our best to warn people. The main concern, beyond just bugs, is trying to make sure we can convey to our early supporters what the direction of the game is going to be, since much of that is still in the process of being implemented at this very early stage. And how best to let our early supporters know all the cool and fun things which are going to be coming over the next months, without getting into trouble with overpromising anything we can't deliver.
    Just preparing you for the Steam release }:D (thank god it's not Early Access!)
    Ha, yeah, that is exactly the reason we decided to hold off on Steam Early Access until the game is ready for that kind of spotlight.
    LudwigX wrote: »
    I like how you already added catapults
    http://gfycat.com/ThatCluelessAyeaye
    Lol, nice!

I know I'm full of warnings, but I also want to state that it's good to not get too attached to anything that is in the early prototypes. There's a lot of stuff in there that we explored, but ultimately felt wasn't the right way to go for the final direction of the game.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    No promises I got time to find lotsa bugs, but fine.. DC be in.
    I was probably gona get this game anyway :P