Subnautica Earliest Access - Subnautica

Comments

• gwacagwaca Join Date: 2014-09-26 Member: 198731Members
    Help!

I just bought the game but the email doesn't apear in my gmx outlook.
    Maybe the proplem is my email address because it ends with .at .
    A other problem could be that the paypal email is different to the email adress i used first.
    I hope one (or more) of you can help me.
    Thanks.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    gwaca wrote: »
    Help!

I just bought the game but the email doesn't apear in my gmx outlook.
    Maybe the proplem is my email address because it ends with .at .
    A other problem could be that the paypal email is different to the email adress i used first.
    I hope one (or more) of you can help me.
    Thanks.

Hey there, you will need to contact Humble Bundle Support here: https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us

Thanks!
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2014
    I bought the SN, and downloaded alpha build about 40mb - is it a current state of development?
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Everything up until the 31st are early prototypes of the game. On the 31st you will get to see our current state of the game.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    You only mention Mac support as a goal in the faq. Am I to assume that Linux/SteamOS isn't going to happen?
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    0ni wrote: »
    You only mention Mac support as a goal in the faq. Am I to assume that Linux/SteamOS isn't going to happen?

I wouldn't count on it. Definitely do *not* buy now if that's important to you :)
  • KendallKendall Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14402Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Well got special edition for your other projects also, so took the 'plunge' for Subnautica too!
  • joevjoev Giving grief... With a smile. Join Date: 2002-07-20 Member: 977Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahh... all the old faces :)

Great post Charlie.

Looking forward to "launching" into the oceans tomorrow (away from home this weekend so arriving late :>)

joev.

P.S. Ignore Comprox... he's useless... (j/k... nothin but love for ya old buddy!)
  • trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    Question: Does buying this count as buying the digital deluxe edition?(I really just want the art book so bloody bad)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Every underwater game or level ever made, from submarine simulators, platformers to diving simulators has been universally terrible; as far as I am aware, without exception.

It's a brave choice of theme, but you really have to pull something magic out of your behind to avoid the trap of slow, tedious, repetitive gameplay in a samey environment.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's really interesting seeing the first two development prototypes in the earliest access pack, but one thing is driving me insane... invert mouse. I realise it's not in the game, but was wondering if there's a 3rd party application that will allow me to reverse the mouse?
    I am afraid you wont be finding third party applications for prototype builds. I myself do not understand why anybody would want to invert it, but that does not really matter. What does matter is that these builds are so early, any form of user convenience, whatever it be, is absent.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Roobubba wrote: »
    It's really interesting seeing the first two development prototypes in the earliest access pack, but one thing is driving me insane... invert mouse. I realise it's not in the game, but was wondering if there's a 3rd party application that will allow me to reverse the mouse?

Inverting mouse is an option in the latest builds, which will be active on 31st :)
    The latest build is also not a prototype, if I am not mistaken, so you have begun to add the features needed for the actual game, correct?
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    @trisdino Starting Oct 31st, we will begin addressing issues such as mouse inverting more aggressively if they make sense in our schedule.

I wouldn't say that it's "not a prototype" - we will continue to experiment with some things after Oct 31. The chances of major things changing in a major way is high. You may end up hating the game by the end of the development process. This is the risk you take by buying right now.
    Well, it is alpha, correct?

I define prototypes as builds that are not actually intended to go into the game, but rather, demonstrate certain features and concepts. An alpha on the other hand is an early version of what is intended to become the final build one day.
    @trisdino No, even though 'alpha' is a vaguely defined term itself, I don't think SN is in "alpha" by any definition. From the main website:

"Subnautica is not in an ‘Alpha,’ ‘Beta,’ or ‘testing’ phase – It’s a game just starting to form. We don’t think the Steam Store is the best place for a game at this stage. It’s an exciting stage, but it’s not for everyone: It’s earlier than Early Access."
    Okay, I think I have communicated myself poorly.

What I mean to say is that I do not consider anything in the "main line" of development to be a prototype. Of course, there are no real black and whites, and in the development of a game, many builds will be developed, with the next ones drawing aspects from all of them. Even so, I think it is fair to say that there is a vague sense of progression. The main alpha builds will eventually become beta, and beta eventually release. Essentially, if it is the primary testing build of the game, I do not really regard it as a prototype.

Then again, what the hell do I know? I am not a game developer.
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I think it's kind of unnecessary and useless to define any sort of labels here.

The important thing right now is that we will be taking your feedback very seriously on the build we release on Oct31 (and every day after that - yes, every day. In fact, maybe twice a day). This does NOT mean we will do everything you and/or other customers say - part of our job as developers is to "know better than you" on some things, and I think you appreciate that. Of course, for obvious things like mouse inversion, yes, that kind of feedback will likely be acted upon promptly.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Every underwater game or level ever made, from submarine simulators, platformers to diving simulators has been universally terrible; as far as I am aware, without exception.

It's a brave choice of theme, but you really have to pull something magic out of your behind to avoid the trap of slow, tedious, repetitive gameplay in a samey environment.
    Please have some confidence in us that we'd be looking at previous underwater games, analyzing those same issues you've listed, and taking steps to deal with them.
  • CweordCweord Bath Join Date: 2014-10-27 Member: 199155Members
    I have just signed up for Earliest Access - I look forward to working towards a decent underwater game. As a SCUBA instructor, Technical Diver and Rebreather user I hope I will be able to be of some small help to achieve this.

I have one early comment - if possible have an out of game mode, where you can just travel, explore and relax, with out the constant threat of having your face eaten off. There are a number of games where stunning environments have been created, but they can never be truly enjoyed because of the game element, occasionally being able to go outside this and just enjoy the environment would be nice (and I am guessing would only take the removal of elements, not having new ones created, so shouldn't be too much work)

Cweord
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    trisdino wrote: »
    I am afraid you wont be finding third party applications for prototype builds. I myself do not understand why anybody would want to invert it, but that does not really matter. What does matter is that these builds are so early, any form of user convenience, whatever it be, is absent.

Perhaps I mis-phrased my question, though I thought it was clear enough...

It's obvious that the prototypes don't have invert-y as an option, and I wouldn't expect them to. What I want is a *3rd* party application/tool/program/jiffy whatever you call it, which will allow me to invert the y axis of my mouse. As a non-invert-y user I don't expect you to understand the problem, and you're right, your lack of understanding doesn't matter at all. The user convenience also doesn't matter - it's a prototype - I'm not expecting this within the game, I'm asking about tools totally unrelated to the game/to UWE.

What I should have done first is google it - there are some paid solutions and some freebie ones I might try out.

@Obraxis, thanks Obby! I figured there would be in the released game (as there is in NS2 of course!), but just for the purposes of wandering around the prototypes it would be helpful - hence me asking if anyone knows of a tool to do this.

For clarity, I wasn't expecting UWE to implement this, and I'm not complaining about it! I am just wondering if anyone else out there who's an invert-y user like me already has knowledge of a tool to help in this situation.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Cweord wrote: »
    I have just signed up for Earliest Access - I look forward to working towards a decent underwater game. As a SCUBA instructor, Technical Diver and Rebreather user I hope I will be able to be of some small help to achieve this.

I have one early comment - if possible have an out of game mode, where you can just travel, explore and relax, with out the constant threat of having your face eaten off. There are a number of games where stunning environments have been created, but they can never be truly enjoyed because of the game element, occasionally being able to go outside this and just enjoy the environment would be nice (and I am guessing would only take the removal of elements, not having new ones created, so shouldn't be too much work)

Cweord
    Great, welcome, Cweord! It is always valuable to have feedback from people who are actual divers. Just keep in mind that the game we are making is not intended to be a diving simulator, so there are many times we need to sacrifice realism in order to achieve a more fun and impactful experience, but hopefully we can strike a good balance.

We do intend to have multiple game modes, and one of those modes should be much closer to what you mentioned, for people who would just prefer to explore the world without having to worry about dying as much or time considerations, etc.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thank you for offering the prototypes with the earliest access, its really fun and facinating to be able to play the game "as it develops"!
  • hoodvisionshoodvisions Germany Join Date: 2014-10-28 Member: 199178Members
    Great stuff! Already bought me into E²A :) Now, it's of course not the right time to start suggesting features, especially not here, but I'd like to express, that any game under water, so far, had way too bright surroundings (Aquanox, Far Sky, World of Diving...).

Colours and Effects are great to have, but I'd love to see a different approach to combining a realistic setting with a reasonable gameplay in regards to illumination. Maybe lighting could be considered a gameplay mechanic, so that I can illuminate my surroundings manually to get a good view on everything, but by default keeping it incredibly darkish and blue/grey... Of course it's quite radical to maintain an actually realistic saturation, but it sure gives some immersion. Especially to people who have *been* deep under water ;)
    @hoodvisions‌ my understanding is that 'realistic' darkness in underwater games leads to an oppressive and claustrophobic experience that is hard to sell. That's likely the reason that underwater games have erred on the side of over-bright

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    joev wrote: »
    Ahh... all the old faces :)

P.S. Ignore Comprox... he's useless... (j/k... nothin but love for ya old buddy!)

You have found my secret, shhh!

edited October 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @hoodvisions‌ my understanding is that 'realistic' darkness in underwater games leads to an oppressive and claustrophobic experience that is hard to sell. That's likely the reason that underwater games have erred on the side of over-bright
    Pretty much this. But beyond just a game that can be hard to sell, it would result in a game that we as developers would not really want to play. With Subnautica we are very much building a beautiful exotic and alien world to explore, full of interesting and detailed creatures, and just pushing all of that back into total darkness would result in a very boring and tedious feeling game.

But light will still very much be a gameplay mechanic. There will be dark caves, deep dark areas, dark canyons, not to mention a day night cycle with a very dark nightime, all times in the game where flashlights, flares, and bioluminescent creatures will factor heavily into gameplay.
  • vadorvador Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23682Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    Hi,
    I've a problem. I bought subnautica special edition on the page. Everything is fine, i log in my paypal account and when i' on the hunble web page i've a Processing Web page with a paypal attempt. I check my credit card, i've been charged for the game but i'm stuck on hunble web page and receive no emails.
    Can u help me plz guys ?

Thx

EDIT: I opened a ticket on hunble bundle web site.
    EDIT2: I received finally the hunble email. It took like 35min to receive an email..
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obsessed with Sci-Fi? Check
    Obsessed with Sci-Fi Submarine Stuff? Check (Aquanox *cough*)

Subnautica Earliest Access Purchased.

I cannot wait for the 31st :) Already took a look at all the current 5 available prototypes and the models posted on Sketchfab. This looks awesome!

I love Aquanox/Aquanox 2 and the predecessor called Archimedean Dynasty (In German: Schleichfahrt).