NS2: Combat Release Date Announced! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Derailed.

But please, don't be acting like everyone has the same amount of spare cash as you.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    if I get this game why would I every want to play NS2? Is this the nail in the coffin for the NS2 playerbase?

Because combat has little strategic depth compared to the main game, not meant as an insult, just an alternative type of experience. Combat is fast food, NS2 is fine dining.

Fine dining with either a terrible waiter (can't get fulfill my requests accurately or quickly enough) or with diners that constantly whine, wont follow suggestions (aka orders), then get up and leave after an appetizer.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    So our NS2 skins are available to use in NS2:Combat?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    So our NS2 skins are available to use in NS2:Combat?
    acid_rain wrote: »
    Can't wait to be prompted to rebuy all our skins again.

Skins in NS2 (if made available at launch) won't require a repurchase. Ever. That said, we're not sure how we're going to handle porting things from NS2 to Combat. I'm not very much into including things from NS2 to Combat. If I paid money for something, I'd want it to have its own economy, not a reused economy. That's doing a disservice to the pricing of the game.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    acid_rain wrote: »
    Can't wait to be prompted to rebuy all our skins again.

Skins in NS2 (if made available at launch) won't require a repurchase. Ever. That said, we're not sure how we're going to handle porting things from NS2 to Combat. I'm not very much into including things from NS2 to Combat. If I paid money for something, I'd want it to have its own economy, not a reused economy. That's doing a disservice to the pricing of the game.
    If I paid money for something, I'd want to get the most usage out of what I paid for as possible.
    Considering NS2:Combat is still very much an NS2 game, I would imagine an awful lot of people would be disappointed they can't use their skins in combat anymore.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    Sweet, thanks guys. Though I'm still holding off Shadow purchase for Shadow Fade and Shadow Ono's... because they are coming... right? =))

** And the award for quickest derailed thread is... **
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited October 2014
    Are you going to mention a price?
    I just hope it's not going to be one of those "Surprise, facepalm" moments on release day.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I sold my house so I could buy a computer to play ns2 on

That must have been an expensive house...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    Derailed.

But please, don't be acting like everyone has the same amount of spare cash as you.

I think it has become inevitable that a majority of NS2 threads eventually become derailed lol
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    is there going to be a free weekend Oct 31st to Nov 2!?
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @acid_rain‌ A thought, I understand if you want to keep NS2 Combat and NS2 entities of their own. Perhaps what could be considered is a nice bonus for anyone who buys the game within a X amount of days after release. A Special edition of sorts, never to be available afterward?

It would give a nice incentive for both new players, and for veteran players, a nice goodie that basically shows they support the game in it's early days. While I understand it will most likely not be the shadow skins, it could be something unique to NS2 Combat and "special" enough comparable to shadow.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited October 2014
    what i would like is the combat rifle model given for use in ns2 to all players who buy ns2 combat and ns2, would just be cosmetic but still a nice gesture
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd love to see that sexy lmg made by evil_ice and co to be available in NS2 if you get a "special edition" of Combat >.>

(I just really want to use that rifle)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Well the rifle is in combat, so you get to use it without a special edition...

I too am not keen on these cross-game rewards. If combat was a UWE game, then carrying over stuff could be deemed acceptable, but this is a game developed by a completely different company...

The only link to UWE is the universe it is set in, and the fact that UWE have taken on the EA role to publish it for the team.
    edited October 2014
    So I don't get to sport my black armor in NS2:Combat... *sadface

Could drastically effect my desire to buy [-(
    I got over my black armor.....
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

I too am not keen on these cross-game rewards. If combat was a UWE game, then carrying over stuff could be deemed acceptable, but this is a game developed by a completely different company...

The only link to UWE is the universe it is set in, and the fact that UWE have taken on the EA role to publish it for the team.

Why not? The majority of the game's art assets is carried over from NS2. Some of assets even being from the community, like the NS1 styled fade and NS1 LMG from Evil_Ice.

The 'Community' assets will have been purchased by Faultine, as UWE purchased 'Community' assets they used in NS2 - Summit being an obvious example.

Re-using of Art assets from a game set in the same universe is merely time-saving, after all, this whole thing only began earlier this year, and I doubt a newly fledged game company could write a whole game like combat from scratch, including all assets in 6 months..
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014

Why not? The majority of the game's art assets is carried over from NS2. Some of assets even being from the community, like the NS1 styled fade and NS1 LMG from Evil_Ice.

The 'Community' assets will have been purchased by Faultine, as UWE purchased 'Community' assets they used in NS2 - Summit being an obvious example.

Re-using of Art assets from a game set in the same universe is merely time-saving, after all, this whole thing only began earlier this year, and I doubt a newly fledged game company could write a whole game like combat from scratch, including all assets in 6 months..

That doesn't really change my point. If they're carrying over a lot of content which includes stuff that might have been funded with whatever special editions, dlcs, and the reinforcement program donations. The least they could do let us use our signs of support instead of treating the stuff as their own separate entity.

Sorry if I'm overflowing with gamer entitlement, it's just that after the amount of money and time spent waiting for an eventual combat release, to find out it's gone standalone and NS2 which I have been having serious issues with lately is dwindling. I'm just trying really hard to justify my money spent.
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    I am looking forward to play this game instead of Ns2 vanilla pub. I would be interested how the aiming / mechanics stuff relates to the original, what the price is going to be and if you offer special discount for buying multiple copies? (Like 4 pack for me and friends)
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    "More tactical" with regards to what exactly?
  • nachomeepnachomeep United States Join Date: 2014-10-22 Member: 199082Members
    So, what IS combat other than devour?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    nachomeep wrote: »

In the stream recently, I saw lots of new toys. Its like they took everything from that xeno game they made and put it into combat.
    edited October 2014
    nachomeep wrote: »

Go to their website, my friend. Unless that's an anti-devour sarcastic post. In which case... the magic eightball says "ask again later".
  • nachomeepnachomeep United States Join Date: 2014-10-22 Member: 199082Members
    I checked the website and I think im too stoopid, It looks like NS2 with devour
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ..and matchmaking... and new gamemodes (planned)....and new weapons.....
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter