NS2: Combat Release Date Announced! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    *pulls out knife*
    Axe you say?!
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    Sooooooooooo.................... a new dlc? Fuuuun! Is it the same engine, and same "gameplay" without commander? We're peaking at 486 player at the most for a few days, and the DLC is sold for how much? 10 euro? that means 4860 euro if everybody of those who actually plays the game...

No please, before you work on a dlc, please work on the freaking engine.. not everybody got the 2-3rd generation of a I7 with the possibility of OC:ing to 4.5GHz to get a "stable" 120fps. Imho is just a way to rip of new players to just buy a new game and having freaking 60 fps and getting rekt in the face by a "new gamemode".
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Ryssk wrote: »
    Sooooooooooo.................... a new dlc? Fuuuun! Is it the same engine, and same "gameplay" without commander? We're peaking at 486 player at the most for a few days, and the DLC is sold for how much? 10 euro? that means 4860 euro if everybody of those who actually plays the game...

No please, before you work on a dlc, please work on the freaking engine.. not everybody got the 2-3rd generation of a I7 with the possibility of OC:ing to 4.5GHz to get a "stable" 120fps. Imho is just a way to rip of new players to just buy a new game and having freaking 60 fps and getting rekt in the face by a "new gamemode".

You misunderstood something.

First ns2:combat is a standalone so it doesn't depends in any way onto ns2. Secondly ns2:combat was developed by a total different studio ( faultlinegames ) and therefor it's development is not directly connected to ns2.

So ns2:combat is totally it's own game just playing in the same universe as ns2 and using the same engine. So overall don't expect it to affect ns2 in any major way.
    What i mean was "standalone"... have fun commanders! Learn to play FPS again now! Or go back to Starcraft 2 :) Hahahaha... this is a way of telling like " Sorry, we made a big mistake with creating this game.. now we're gonna have the same concept without commanders.. but first.. PAY UP" hahahaha im sorry, i cant stop laughing without actually realising how much the developers are shooting themselves in the foot... try to rip off more people? Good way of trying to kill a community that's been trying to keep the game alive for almost a decade now!

You misunderstood something.

First ns2:combat is a standalone so it doesn't depends in any way onto ns2. Secondly ns2:combat was developed by a total different studio ( faultlinegames ) and therefor it's development is not directly connected to ns2.

So ns2:combat is totally it's own game just playing in the same universe as ns2 and using the same engine. So overall don't expect it to affect ns2 in any major way.

I think you write before i updated my last comment, but anyways.. i know it's a standalone.. but it's like giving the fingers for the commanders.. and actually giving the community the finger.. i think we would rather see some new maps but mostly better optimized engine.. but that's something we can only dream of...

But please have a new FPS shooter with S&D next time, or why not Search and Rescue? What you should have is something like Cod4 had... PROMOOOD.. still more active teams, and more active players than NS2. Take away all the crap like green hasch plants on biodome, keep it more like "low fps model" but ofc a 2014 graphic. There's got to be something that could improve the FPS on even average computers?

Havent played the new Standalone game.. but if they havent improved the FPS... well good luck and have fun, and like most russians say "Spakojnej Nosche i Dasvedanja" = Good night and bye bye
    best english in eu...
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    ..and matchmaking... and new gamemodes (planned)....and new weapons.....

"Matchmaking" is just a play now button...
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited October 2014
    What i mean was "standalone"... have fun commanders! Learn to play FPS again now! Or go back to Starcraft 2 :) Hahahaha... this is a way of telling like " Sorry, we made a big mistake with creating this game.. now we're gonna have the same concept without commanders.. but first.. PAY UP" hahahaha im sorry, i cant stop laughing without actually realising how much the developers are shooting themselves in the foot... try to rip off more people? Good way of trying to kill a community that's been trying to keep the game alive for almost a decade now!

Did you know there was a very popular mod in ns1 called 'combat'? That was just a mod. This was developed to actually make that mod... good. There are a lot of changes besides no commanders.

(New) people find ns2 very difficult. This standalone is basically a way for people that can't handle the vanilla game and/or want to just hop on a server and frag for a few minutes (without angry commanders like me yelling at them).
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    The only thing I find concerning are these specs:
    MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel Core i5 at 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 965 at 3.4 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5850 with 1GB VRAM
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Hard Drive: 12 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

They are ridiciously high if you want to reach a wider audience.
    Warforce17 wrote: »
    MINIMUM:

I think they are trying to be a bit more honest than the original minimum specs for ns2 (which weren't realistic).
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    edited October 2014
    RapGod wrote: »
    MINIMUM:

I think they are trying to be a bit more honest than the original minimum specs for ns2 (which weren't realistic).

I know that and apreciate this but this limits the audience who CAN play it. :(
    If I saw these specs I would be discouraged to buy.

Edit:
    For example I would gift one copy to a friend but I have to check if the specs work for him and he will propably not have enough power. - 1 customer
    MINIMUM:

I know that and apreciate this but this limits the audience who CAN play it. :(
    If I saw these specs I would be discouraged to buy.

Edit:
    For example I would gift one copy to a friend but I have to check if the specs work for him and he will propably not have enough power. - 1 customer

I agree. It's been an issue for ns2, as well. And I'm not sure what minimal means in spec-terms. Anyone know what that fps range would be?

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    sebb wrote: »

yes but.. it's much more deep meaning than that.
    It's much more... important than you think.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    sebb wrote: »

yes but.. it's much more deep meaning than that.
    It's much more... important than you think.

What? What does that even mean?
    edited October 2014
    @Warforce17 No, they are being honest about the requirements, seriously. It's better to over-state than under-state in business, sure you get less customers, but you get less ANGRY customers. (eg ones who want their money back AND THEN SOME)

@sebb It means, that if people don't have to look through a list of servers, they have a sense of ease, just hit the play now button and it will give you to a server with people in it.
    Some people like that, EG: Cod players.

Admittedly, he does have some merit in what he says. But he says in the wrong state of mind.

What you should be saying, @Ryssk is:

What justification is there to buy this game, if we already own NS2 itself?! How can UWE and Faultline justify a Pricetag for something which is essentially a re-download of Ns2, without commanders, with new weapons.

People don't like buying the same game over and over again, look at the "HD" releases for games like stronghold, baldurs gate etc. (baldurs gate much less so) Which were essentially Resolution upgrades of older games with no actual new "features", per se.

People didn't like that so much.

@sebb It means, that if people don't have to look through a list of servers, they have a sense of ease, just hit the play now button and it will give you to a server with people in it.
    Some people like that, EG: Cod players.
    NS2 Combat has matchmaking, just like vanilla NS2 has matchmaking.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Okey, what differentiates buying a new game mode, and buying badges. Please think this through before answering.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Making Combat required a lot of work on the part of FLG. Asking them to give it to you for free is incredibly unreasonable. This is their job, they're making a living from the sales of this game. UWE is using the proceeds of NS2 to continue to survive as a company while they make a new game, as all game developers do. There was never any possibility of this being a free add-on. And if you prefer to command, that's fine, feel free to ignore this game.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IMO UWE should have included Combat when they officially released NS2 (not just a community mod). They released combat for NS1 and captured a whole load of new players, only to release the new version of NS without combat again :S Now I can't help but think maybe this is coming along too late?

I hope it's successful and brings new players into the NS2 world. Not sure if I will actually buy it, depends on the price I guess as I was never a huge fan of Combat.

I would suggest doing a bundle deal so new players get both games for a good price or throw NS2 in for free when people buy Combat?
    I believe it'll be $14.99. I don't see getting a free copy of either game happening.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    They do have a veteran badge, for veteran ns2 players in combat. At least we get that. I personally don't care about more. Combat is a very different game in its play, even compared to the mod. It is worth $15.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Making Combat required a lot of work on the part of FLG. Asking them to give it to you for free is incredibly unreasonable. This is their job, they're making a living from the sales of this game. UWE is using the proceeds of NS2 to continue to survive as a company while they make a new game, as all game developers do. There was never any possibility of this being a free add-on. And if you prefer to command, that's fine, feel free to ignore this game.
    I believe it'll be $14.99. I don't see getting a free copy of either game happening.

Depends what you mean. Faultiline have been giving away a free copy every hour on their live stream showcase for the past two days. As long as the viewer count is above 50 they will be giving away more keys until the games release on the 31st :)

Also @Ryssk, you do realise that UWE and FLG are separate entities.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

acid_rain wrote: »
    acid_rain wrote: »
    Can't wait to be prompted to rebuy all our skins again.

Skins in NS2 (if made available at launch) won't require a repurchase. Ever. That said, we're not sure how we're going to handle porting things from NS2 to Combat. I'm not very much into including things from NS2 to Combat. If I paid money for something, I'd want it to have its own economy, not a reused economy. That's doing a disservice to the pricing of the game.
    If I paid money for something, I'd want to get the most usage out of what I paid for as possible.
    Considering NS2:Combat is still very much an NS2 game, I would imagine an awful lot of people would be disappointed they can't use their skins in combat anymore.

I can understand that. Looking at it from another point of view is that you'll have all these really badass things that nobody else who buys the game can get, even if they were to purchase NS2. That said, we are looking into offering something for those who have bought NS2 prior to Combat's release. The team really discussed this in-depth yesterday, and we decided it just isn't fair to to both new Combat players who would be joining the community for the first time, and also to the spirit of NS2. We don't want items offered in NS2 to feel watered down because they're available everywhere. UWE ask that we respect what NS2 has to offer as an experience on its own, and we could not agree more. If we just offered what NS2 has to offer, what would be unique about NS2's rewards? What would be unique about Combat's rewards? UWE and Faultline don't want that type of system, and I hope you'll agree after reading this.

TL;DR We're not offering the skins that come with NS2, mainly because we want Combat to feel like it has a life of its own and can stand up on its own feet without needing to fall back on NS2. Even though it's still an NS game in an NS universe, we want the experience to be unique -- something you can't get anywhere else. Sometimes that also means setting itself apart from NS2 slightly.

I agree with you acid, Its much nicer to give everyone an even playing field in regards to skins, of course it would be a nice personal touch if skins were transferred from NS2 to Combat but its hardly worth crying over.

Many a time I look at the black armor that came with the pre-order of NS2 all them years ago and thought "man that looks nice if only I decided not to be so tight at the time and just pre-ordered straight away... oh well!" I don't think its much of a problem as people make it out to be if anything it promotes elitism. Personally I don't think like that maybe its just the people that always had that one ultra rare pokemon card that everyone else wanted as a kid

In the end you will all die the same regardless of what armor your marine is donning or color of your shadow skulk.
    edited October 2014
    Zek wrote: »

Depends what you mean. Faultiline have been giving away a free copy every hour on their live stream showcase for the past two days. As long as the viewer count is above 50 they will be giving away more keys until the games release on the 31st :)

Also @Ryssk, you do realise that UWE and FLG are separate entities.

I meant a free copy for purchasing combat or having already bought ns2. I think he meant that, too.

@yojimbo , how does having certain skins promote elitism? I've never heard anyone talking down to someone with vanilla armor.

I do have the black armor, though. I did it all for the black armor (actually I wanted to help the start-up and had extra cash then)! Personally, I rarely pay any attention to skins, unless they are new and sparkly - then I wanna look.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
  • OuaibouOuaibou France Join Date: 2014-10-31 Member: 199231Members
    edited October 2014
    I am really happy to see that the combat mod is out. Although we still have to pay approximatively 15$, it is understandable. However, its a shame that we have to download 10 GB for an extension. Moreover, this extension runs only on Windows whereas NS2 runs on Linux! Please get linux support and improve engine so that it works properly (I have to disable or set all configuration to low on Linux, otherwise the game crashes randomly). I'm pretty disappointed overall.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I love NS2:combat!

If you haven't already done so, go and support these guys by buying and playing the game. Do it! Do it now!

The cannon sound is worth it if nothing else, that gun is BRUTAL. muahahahah

Seriously though, go and buy it. NS2:Combat is amazing fun to play. It's not got the stress and rage issues if your team isn't great, you can really still have fun while 'losing' and the overall polish is really impressive.

Great job FLG!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am going to post this here so that we can all see the giant spike in players in the following days.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/310110#7d
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I love NS2:combat!

If you haven't already done so, go and support these guys by buying and playing the game. Do it! Do it now!

The cannon sound is worth it if nothing else, that gun is BRUTAL. muahahahah

Seriously though, go and buy it. NS2:Combat is amazing fun to play. It's not got the stress and rage issues if your team isn't great, you can really still have fun while 'losing' and the overall polish is really impressive.

Great job FLG!