NS2: Combat Release Date Announced! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    I dont get it. Why do you respawn at the same rate in the end game as the beginning of the game? Its super frustrating to have to keep winning fights nonstop until the very end of the game, or else stalemate.

Why not just copy what mobas do?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Radman wrote: »
    I dont get it. Why do you respawn at the same rate in the end game as the beginning of the game? Its super frustrating to have to keep winning fights nonstop until the very end of the game, or else stalemate.

Why not just copy what mobas do?
    You don't? The higher teched up you are the slower you respawn.
    Is it different when you are playing with bots then? I only had time for one game, but it pissed me the fuck off haha.

both me and the enemy seemed to be teched up (i was at least), but respawn was still like 6ish seconds.
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    edited November 2014
    The balance seems to be skewed in favor of the marines - it takes 4 points for full carapace and another 4 points for full celerity...plus it seems marine weapons do more damage, but yet sound too puny for my taste. I have also no idea why there's a time limit on evolutions - once you choose lerk, you have to play it out for xx minutes. No changing allowed. So if the hive is dying, you can't flip to gorge to heal it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    cpt000 wrote: »
    The balance seems to be skewed in favor of the marines - it takes 4 points for full carapace and another 4 points for full celerity...plus it seems marine weapons do more damage, but yet sound too puny for my taste.

Honestly, I keep hearing one aliens op or marines op. I think the fact that I hear both are OP so often means they are mostly balanced. On gun noise, have you heard the cannon?
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    The spawn times are arguably too short 15 seconds for a fully upgraded onos is nothing.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am downloading this now. gogogo. Can't wait to play tonight 9pm AEST. Sweeeeeeet. BTW, for those whinging about the unreasonable min specs. I will be running it on a E8400 dual core 3.0Gz with 8G ram and a Nvidia GTX650. I ll let you know how it does framerate wise. Given the improvement the CDT did with NS2, I am confident it will be playable.
    Warforce17 wrote: »
    The spawn times are arguably too short 15 seconds for a fully upgraded onos is nothing.
    15 seconds is about how long it takes for the marines to kill your hive. It is combat, it is meant to encourage ... pause for effect... combat.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Its super frustrating to have to keep winning fights nonstop until the very end of the game, or else stalemate.

Uhm..... Isn't that the point... of combat?

2cough wrote: »
    Its super frustrating to have to keep winning fights nonstop until the very end of the game, or else stalemate.

Uhm..... Isn't that the point... of combat?
    I was refering to fighting wave after wave of respawners, with no chance to heal up or take objectives in between. If you dont think that sucks, then idk man we're not gonna agree.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    It's great fun, but just be warned that it might not work as good as advertised. I've heard so far one person saying it runs better than NS2 for him, while myself and others saying the opposite. As for the "never ending waves", from the many games played yesterday there i would say there's bit of unbalance that's causing massive stalemates, most of it is stimming however from small maps combined with 10v10/12v12 teams though. At this time i'll prefer CP mode over CO.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I prefer combat with 12-18 players on the current maps. The problem in my eye is that the 96hour stream and most release servers with people on them have 20-24 players. That is a whole different experience. 16 player combat is tactical, 24 player combat is just mayhem. Also, as in ns2, people have to learn strong alien builds and the right way to use them. What I see right now is "let's all rush in the middle of the map and feed the guys with rifles". I hope it will get better with time going by.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    peak players 116, current players 70. I really want this game to go well for the sake of all the hard work and sacrifice developers have put in, but it's crashing and burning already.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    AussieKid wrote: »
    peak players 116, current players 70. I really want this game to go well for the sake of all the hard work and sacrifice developers have put in, but it's crashing and burning already.

Oh come on, less than 24 after release is absolutely NOT an appropriate time to even think about looking for trends in player numbers!
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Roobubba wrote: »

Oh come on, less than 24 after release is absolutely NOT an appropriate time to even think about looking for trends in player numbers!

What? It is the most appropriate time to talk about players. The fact that only a max of 116 players have booted up the game at the same time, and that 100 ish people were given keys for free on their 96hour mega stream, you have to look at the possibility that this has flopped massively. 24 hours after launch for every other game is usually the PEAK of the player base as everyone gets access to it at the same time and wants to boot it up and play it.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    page 6 on the top sellers page, near the bottom. Last night NS2 was selling more copies than combat at one point lol. If you look at all the rubbish games doing better than it, it is a little embarrassing. f1 2014 FTW XD
    However, Ive bought it, i dont know why because im sure this will either flop or kill ns2, its been 24hrs and i havnt even booted it up yet.
    I also bought the reaper pack and another copy of ns2 for my 4 year old son because im such a nice guy.

Also what is interesting is that i have around 80 NS2 friends on my friends list and only 10 have bought this game. 5 or more of them were playtesters for combat before it was released though so the real figures are even less :'(
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow

peak players 116, at 24 hours after launch. My point still stands that this hasn't exactly launched how they planned. On the marathon twitch stream the devs said that 5000 player slots had been purchased worldwide for launch day, there has been some kind of massive oversight here. Let's hope nobody gave up their day jobs for this...
    It was halloween on a friday night. I wouldn't expect most people to start playing it until this weekend. If tonight and tomorrow night we don't see a sizable jump then I say we quake in our boots.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2014
    Nordic wrote: »
    It was halloween on a friday night. I wouldn't expect most people to start playing it until this weekend. If tonight and tomorrow night we don't see a sizable jump then I say we quake in our boots.
    Halloween is mostly only celebrated in the US though... I don't think it would be affecting a game launch that much.
    sebb wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    Halloween is mostly only celebrated in the US though... I don't think it would be affecting a game launch that much.

That is a good point. How American of me to think only of the US. I still think we will see some up swings as time goes on.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited November 2014
    *snip*

CYA IN NS3.

love you @decoy

Love you too, @Nezz. But your post is getting a lot of edits.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    What I like about NS2: Combat is the hitching, the whip and hydra farms, and the random red plugs.. The fact that when the game ends if one person is in the ready room and does the vote.. you only need 1 vote to pass. The fact that 3pt capture needs some work to make it more balanced. The knife needs to come out faster, i don't know anyone who'd flip their knife when an alien is coming after them. :( Not sure if it's hit registration or server issues, but it feels as though bites and shots are laggy. Pistol comes out just slightly too fast as well. D: I've been streaming the game a bit if you feel like watching some of my previous games.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I said 'trends' in player numbers sigh.

Odd that some people are getting hitching and others aren't. I'm currently using my old 5870 as my 780 had to be rma'd and even with that I'm getting > 120fps for much of the game in combat at 1080p with no hitching at all. That's not to say that others aren't of course, I trust syknik when he says that above.
    However, while there are balance issues (anyone remember ns2 launch builds?), and plenty of improvements to be made, the promise is absolutely there for a great game, and I'm fully behind FLG to continue improving combat.
    I said 'trends' in player numbers sigh.
    Trends or raw numbers it doesn't really matter.
    4Uzyb2o.png
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sad stuff. I also really would like to see combat be a success. Not just for them, but also for the chance of bringin new people into the ns2 universe. I think the biggest issue is that it seems like at least 80% of the people who know about it are the ns2 vets who've stuck around this long. We all know that's not a huge number like under 1000. So like... a thousand people even know it was released?

I've seen like NO pr for them. I know they have no funds for adverts and stuff, but UWE does... and even though UWE did not work on the game, they're still publishing it. You'd think they'd want something they're affiliated with to be successful, yet not even a mention of it from Charlie or anybody else really.

If the only people who are even aware of it are ns2 players already, they're going to feel one of two ways. 1) Why should I pay for this when I pretty much already own it and wont support (to which I'd say you're wrong, it's much different and worthy of being stand-alone) or 2) they'll see the hard work and the potential and purchase/play/spread.

We neeeeeeeeeeeed other people than ns2 players to even know that this game was released! The stream was awesome, people worked very hard around the clock for 5 days straight, yet never got over 200 viewers.

I've seen random twitch streamers w/ no followers, no advertising gain more viewers simply from playing a popular game. Really sad, I just don't think anybody outside of the ns2 community really knows/knew about it.

Also, I feel extremely guilty that I won a free key now and will be paying it forward as soon as I can afford to (like 4x at least!) As far as the graph above goes... It is disappointing to see those numbers. I really hope improvements can be made, as they've touted it performs much better having had most of ns2's guts removed.

Anyways, I hope we can try to stay optimistic about this. If the numbers don't pick up, then it's clear that it'll be up to us to get the word out. At least we must do our part to try to sway the numbers to success.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Or perhaps people just aren't interested. Most of the folks I play NS2 with don't care and the ones that did buy NS2 but don't play anymore have moved on to other things.
    I think combat has two problems both of which marketing is the only fix.

If you look at total biscut's twitter comment about ns2: combat, here, you will see comments surrounding how this should be a dlc or a mod. I see this in every place that has comments about ns2:combat.

The other problem is even though the game targets a more casual crowd, it is tough for new people to get into. I know people who have never played ns2, or ns at all, who have tried combat. They wanted to quit there after the first hour. They played through that though, and after 4 hours they began to find enjoyment. Would most gamers play 4 hours of pain to get to the good?
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    Or perhaps people just aren't interested. Most of the folks I play NS2 with don't care and the ones that did buy NS2 but don't play anymore have moved on to other things.

Also true :/
  • yourstruly41yourstruly41 The United States of America Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197141Members
    edited November 2014
    I wanted to support this game so bad but in the end I couldn't do it. I remembered I was so hyped after seeing the devour teaser and the first Q&A. I figured devour was only the first and would be one of the many new features of the game, but then it turned out to be one of their main selling points and I knew something was wrong. I think the problem is that they figured every NS2 would buy this game, but they failed to convince NS2 players why they should spend money on this. As I believe I said earlier in this thread, its essentially a TDM map pack. No doubt the devs put a lot of work into this, but its still not enough. They needed more funds and more time. Using 95% of the assets from NS2 was also not good, NS2 players will just see NS2. In my opinion they should have added more alien types, way more guns, new marine look/equipment, a lot of new assets, more skins/player customization, etc. Make it look different from NS2, but still make it recognizable in the NS2 universe. Not even having a price until launch was extremely odd, even more odd not adding any sort of pre order bonus or reward for NS2 players. Oh well

And as others have said, launch day for games is usually the peak player count for a games' history.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Daveodeth wrote: »

Evolve is getting a lot of players right now :/ L4D2 makers just launched big alpha and almost everyone is getting alpha key... But for me combat was a must buy