NS2: Combat Release Date Announced! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited October 2014
    Hopefully it isn't too expensive, should of revealed the price.

Those recommended system requirements though:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 at 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 at 4.0 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7950 with 2GB VRAM

Should ensure the player base is as small as the one NS2 currently has, lol
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    GISP on reddit said it was ~$15.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll wait for a proper sale.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will you support a competetive enviroment in NS2:Combat (i.e. hosting tournaments)?

If so, what do you invision the playersize in a competetive match would be?

Will you support anything related to matchmaking or gather systems (ENSL?).
  • yourstruly41yourstruly41 The United States of America Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197141Members
    edited October 2014
    I wish they had taken more risks with this. Like having completely new marine/exosuit +weapon designs, new alien life forms, revamped game mechanics. I know that they added a few new features, but at its core its a TDM map pack. When people look at the screenshots it looks exactly like NS2.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait to be prompted to rebuy all our skins again.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    I have a concern regarding combat. I know its not indicative of the stand-alone but I would like to bring it up as a potential problem anyway. In the current mod on live, gorges have basically become a serious problem especially against less experienced teams or if the marines don't dominate the first few minutes.

Once aliens get enough to go gorge (1res), half the team goes gorge and spams hydras at a particular location as close to the marine push/base as possible while the skulks stay at the back behind the gorges. What you get is a stalemate scenario where gorges get huge points from spam healing hydras and being rarely hard to kill (even with focus fire) to marines being bottled and halted unable to push until someone manages to get enough res for GLs.

This gorge spam becomes a problem because it takes prevalence before people have their res for GLs thus the game slows down dramatically but the aliens keep pulling ahead. Once the aliens pull ahead it becomes extremely difficult to leave base as marine until much later when everyone has tech for fully upgraded exos/jets. I way I see it, marines dominate the early skulk vs rifle game but they really need to or you get the gorge problem escalating out of control or even more dominance from higher lifeforms, aliens should pull back with higher lifeforms and marines are on the backfoot until dual exo carry and fully upgraded JPs are out. Gorges throw a wrench into this dichotomy and allow aliens to pull even further ahead, delaying any sort of counter-attack or even ending the game early.

Now I'm not saying this is going to happen on stand alone but I'm bringing it up as a potential problem that could hugely impact the game in a negative way. Although I'm not playing the tests, anecdotally from ISE and what footage I managed to watch, gorges once again looked pretty strong in addition to adding in whips and static D, it COULD be an issue.

Are there ways as a marine to counter this early gorge spam style of play? Playing against this style is frustrating to say the least as is with any PvE spam.

Also, are Lerks and Xeno going to be ridiculously OP again? :)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    if I get this game why would I every want to play NS2? Is this the nail in the coffin for the NS2 playerbase?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Roobubba wrote: »
    No, to ensure they aren't accused of totally misleading spec requirements for their game.
    Sure, they could say 'intel pentium @ 1.8GHz or higher' but which do you think will get more negative feedback?

Well... An I7-3770 may not be the best CPU but not the least either. Clearly not.

As an example:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2013/-17-SiSoftware-Sandra-2012-SP4c-Pro,3147.html

It's in the top 10 (the K version). Even with the fact that the latest Ivy-bridge-E series are now the natural "topers" (40% perf boost, whoohoo); it's still there. I see right now 329 USD on this web page. It still isn't the CPU you buy with a lower quality motherboard nor a bad memory set. That would be dumb.

"They" chose not to take risks with it. Ok fine.

But the mirror situation is also true. When you see that kind of system requirements you don't instantly think : "ok let's go". You want to check your hardware first. Especially if the last time you did that "checking the market stuff" was 2 or 3 years ago.

I mean, I have that rig (built for photo not NS2), but suddenly I had doubts (mostly because I'm not really interested with sizes, and don't check often). I checked to see if the machine I bought last year was still above the average. It IS without any doubts.

Announcing this system requirements can eventually close some doors. This can be an issue on this particular market area (gaming in general).
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    if I get this game why would I every want to play NS2? Is this the nail in the coffin for the NS2 playerbase?

Because combat has little strategic depth compared to the main game, not meant as an insult, just an alternative type of experience. Combat is fast food, NS2 is fine dining.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    The thing is that one would usually put "gamers" closer to the fast food category than fine dining.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why are the specs 3770 not a 3570? Does hyperthreading actually help ns2? Or is it the 0.1ghz clock boost? A 3570 has 95% the performance of a 3770 in everything but multithreaded work. Even then I think the lowest cpu I would recommend for ns2 is an i5-2400.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    Why are people gawking at the "recommended" specs?? They are not required... they are recommended
    Here's the minimum "required" specs :

MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel Core i5 at 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 965 at 3.4 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5850 with 1GB VRAM

A $200 processor and $140 video card is pretty reasonable, @DarkflameQ‌ ..
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Why are people gawking at the "recommended" specs?? They are not required... they are recommended

MINIMUM:

K, buy me that, iron. Making fun of my awesome setup....
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

MINIMUM:

Frown on me for me not thinking "recommended" or actually looking at them myself.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 at 3.4 GHz
    4gigs Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465

Those are my old pc specs, I can run NS2 fine on low at over 100 FPS, I can also run Combat fine. So if your pc specs are better than mine you have no worries.

Oh and FYI its a 5year old toaster pc, you can get the cpu and graphics card now for around £100 / $160 combined (less than what IH said :D )
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Why are people playing on so old hardware is beyond me, pretty sure all the components are cheaper than over here in Finland anyways. Bunch of cheap bastards the lot of you..
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited October 2014
    Ots wrote: »
    Why are people playing on so old hardware is beyond me, pretty sure all the components are cheaper than over here in Finland anyways. Bunch of cheap bastards the lot of you..

Is that sarcasm or do you live in a bubble? :)

Oh no it isn't, i honestly don't understand people who handicap themselves like this and are "fine with it". All of us are doing this as a hobby to some extent, there is no 'free hobbies' in this world, never have been. I'm pretty sure most of the people here are grown ups and not living off their parents garage, thus could afford to upgrade their gear..

It's like.. my sisters 14y old kid worked enough/sold stuff to acquire a setup worthwhile of the 'recommended' label. Why should anyone even bother responding to any remarks of grown men, commenting about computer specs needed to play this game. But hey, i guess i live "in a bubble". -.-
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members

Oh no it isn't, i honestly don't understand people who handicap themselves like this and are "fine with it". All of us are doing this as a hobby to some extent, there is no 'free hobbies' in this world, never have been. I'm pretty sure most of the people here are grown ups and not living off their parents garage, thus could afford to upgrade their gear..

It's like.. my sisters 14y old kid worked enough/sold stuff to acquire a setup worthwhile of the 'recommended' label. Why should anyone even bother responding to any remarks of grown men, commenting about computer specs needed to play this game. But hey, i guess i live "in a bubble". -.-

You actually do, but for your sake I hope it never pops for you. Finding out first hand why a lot of people can't afford to blow several hundred on a new gaming PC might be a very unpleasant experience if you're used having the spare cash lying about.

I will give you a hint though. Most of the "grown ups" you mentioned have rent to pay, bank loans, kids
    ect. All of this costs money, a LOT of money, but not everyone makes the big bucks.
    cba to make a quote wall, you're assuming i'm not one of those persons, i'll refrain from personal comments as it'll soon slip into those.. Anyone should be able to upgrade their computer slowly with a basic plan that you shouldn't be using a 5 yeard old computer, as Loki referred to. That's the bubble i'm living in, and i like it.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I sold my house so I could buy a computer to play ns2 on
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use a dual core E8400 3.0Gz (about 7 years old) with 8g ram and a nvidia GTX560.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i guess i live "in a bubble". -.-

Yeah, you do. There is not enough jobs for everyone, basic economics, taught in Finland in comprehensive school, guess you skipped classes. All the 320 000 Finns that are unemployed and practically unable to get a job must have hundreds of euros lying around for a hobby. 8-|
    PC gaming I would say is probably a normal good. It costs more to get into, and is well worth it. Unemployed people, may play games, but it is more likely they do not.

I don't think it is a matter of economics, but a matter of budgeting. If you look at the number alone, the annual amount I live off of significantly less than the US poverty line. I don't have any help but my own job, and a room mate, yet I still feel is the black enough to have purchased a shadow badge.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited October 2014

MINIMUM:

Minimum specs are always laughably inaccurate.

The high spec requirements simply translate to a really limited player base, in my opinion NS2 suffers badly from it.

My point is, limited player bases are always a pain for multiplayer only games as there is no single player mode to fall back on when the player numbers get low.

I'll personally be keeping an eye on player numbers for Combat for a few months before i risk the purchase.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The issue with upgrading an old PC is that one part might bottleneck the other, which means a new GPU, CPU, and mobo at minimum. I'd rather build a new rig than have parts lying around.
    shonan wrote: »
    i guess i live "in a bubble". -.-

Yeah, you do. There is not enough jobs for everyone, basic economics, taught in Finland in comprehensive school, guess you skipped classes. All the 320 000 Finns that are unemployed and practically unable to get a job must have hundreds of euros lying around for a hobby. 8-|
    I guess you're from down south and lack "maalaisjärki" ;). Thanks for the laugh though.