The CDT Team should a REAL Wishlist @trello

Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
Its nice to have a wishlist with actually stuff what you guys can do and its appricated

GOOD JOB CDT

But please add a Other wishlist even with stuff thats not possible at the moment with stuff like: "more performance" or "more maps" or "matchmaking" or whatever somebody hears somewhere has to add it there.

So people can vote these things and you can see which direction you should try to archive something on the ns2 development when your wondering next time what should have priority or if some CDT member wonders what he can do next for NS2.

dont take it as harsh critic take it as good willing suggestion how to help ns2.

sincerely Mega

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I.. er... someone?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not the CDT, but I think the answer is all of the above. I think they go for what has the best opportunity cost to do.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Post certain ideas at the given sub forum. Make sure your idea is described really detailed and you explained why it has to be in vanilla ns2.
    If you do so i'm sure someone of the cdt will pick it up and add a note to the trello board about it ;)

@Me9a‌ its true, the ideas and suggestions thread is exactly what you are asking for (except not on trello). The CDT are pretty damned active on the forums, as are nitpicky bastards like myself that will scrutinize your every suggestion for balance, practicality etc. For a recent example see the explosives thread in general discussion for an example of how well it works :)

currently a lot of changes are driven by the question 'is there a problem with the existing system?' and then secondly 'what is the simplest fix for this problem?'.
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    edited September 2014
    i think i got missunderstound so i gonna explain it again:

This 2nd (vote)list would be a indicator What the "Community" wants/miss most in the game cause "Community"DevelopmentTeam.

Then still the CDT can check of what they are Capable of but with this 2nd (vote)list to prioritize cause thats what the "community" wants in the game obivisly.

And the CDT idk how they communitcate internaly in meetings or idk, but you can also nail down how you could possible archive all most voted points of this 2nd (vote)list.

@GhoulofGSG9
    OFC i understand that is still everyone a free volentier ect but thats not even my point.

My point is that the "community" can vote on these ideas from everyone on a list to see what the "community" wants most in the game. kinda like asking the community constantly what should be done next to the game.

@meatmaschine
    About the ideas and suggestion things i agree thats a one wa of doing it.
    but would you realy want me to post every week: 1) "fix performance", 2) "matchmaking or GTFO"
    3) "this game has not enough maps".
    the way i mean it is more like "try to archive" 1, then 2 then 3 so the CDT knows what direction they should try to go with develompent based on the input of the "Community".

@All people
    Cause right now its just a well big knowen rumor that more performance, matchmaking and more maps are wanted but you dont have actual input how much (in votes and numbers) they are desired and thats 1 possiblity to make it easy visible for the CDT.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Me9a wrote: »

@meatmaschine
    but would you realy want me to post every week: 1) "fix performance", 2) "matchmaking or GTFO"
    the way i mean it is more like "try to archive" 1, then 2 then 3 so the CDT knows what direction they should try to go with develompent based on the input of the "Community".

@All people
    Cause right now its just a well big knowen rumor that more performance, matchmaking and more maps are wanted but you dont have actual input how much (in votes and numbers) they are desired and thats 1 possiblity to make it easy visible for the CDT.
    Again, I say I think it is all of the above which remi of the CDT agreed with. The CDT has enough members who do multiple roles making all of the above possible. I bet they are working on performance even just to get those 1% gains. Matchmaking ghoul explained isn't feasible without small playerbase. Maps take a long time to make and several are being made. Loki, a mapper in the CDT is making ns2_derelect.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Mega, I understand what you're saying. You want players to be able to inform the CDT what "general" category of development they should be working on to improve the game. It does not make sense however to visualize such a thing on the trello board. Trello boards or work development tools that should only ever contain specific tangible tasks that are able to be completed by generally one person or a small team of people.

It's a Software development workflow kind of thing. Never should tasks be vague or non-specific.

I think the CDT has a good understanding of what "general" category they should be focusing on anyway.
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    simba wrote: »
    Mega, I understand what you're saying. You want players to be able to inform the CDT what "general" category of development they should be working on to improve the game.

Thanks for helping me explaining this. (im a bad explainer)
    but yes basicly i want a way for the "community" to vote on which tasks should be done on ns2 in the communitys oppionion.
    It does not make sense however to visualize such a thing on the trello board. Trello boards or work development tools that should only ever contain specific tangible tasks that are able to be completed by generally one person or a small team of people.

It's a Software development workflow kind of thing. Never should tasks be vague or non-specific.

But its kinda like a vision thing "what wants the communtiy fixed/improved in ns2 in 1 year"
    to make sure the CDT dosnt work into a completly diffrent direction.

So ideas how to do that are very welcome
    maybe:
    1) a Montly survery
    2) a Board like trello just for this purpose what ns2 should become like.
    I think the CDT has a good understanding of what "general" category they should be focusing on anyway.

I agree the CDT does a good job and dosnt go into a totaly wrong direction.
    Also i understand that the CDT dosnt have the capabilitys to work on everything the community desires.
    But it should be at least clear what the community desires so the CDT knows what they should TRY TO ARCHIVE.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited September 2014
    Dear @GhoulofGSG9,

EDIT: I'm glad to notice my 400th message is about this. :)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Dear @GhoulofGSG9,

EDIT: I'm glad to notice my 400th message is about this. :)

Thanks and congratz. BTW only number and normal list types work here. But good to know this is at least supported. Need to get used to bbcode again after normally using markdown :D
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Me9a wrote: »
    @meatmaschine

Yup, thats one way of doing it. The way of doing it.
    And if you think posting about performance repeatedly in the forums is a consequence of using the forums and not trello, I dont know what to say to you because that obviously makes no sense at all.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Loki wrote: »
    All I am going to say in this thread is (specifically related to MAPS)

The CDT are working on new maps for the game (yes mapS plural)

However I wont commit to

- how many
    - which maps
    - when they will be released
    What do you mean exactly ? Adding custom maps to vanilla ?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    About matchmaking. The "player base is too low"-argument has been used forever - even when the player base was positively healthy. Games like Nosgoth and Loadout which both have similar player bases both have matchmaking, and although both of these games have had their fair share of bugs in the matchmaking systems, it works fairly well. Some high level players will be stuck in lobby some times and that's a shame - but that happens in csgo as well which has a very large player base.

Tbh, it can't hurt to just try it out at this point. No one is suggesting you have to replace private servers with matchmaking.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Obraxis wrote: »

However I wont commit to

- how many
    - which maps

We are working on NEW maps for NS2. No time scale, but we are trying to make sure they work in both public and comp play from the outset.
    Shouldn't it be a priority too to try and "officialize" custom maps that are currently being worked on ? and could perfectly fit pub play, comp play or both ? Some custom maps have a lot of potential
    I mean, it's awesome that people are working on new maps for the game, but I guess they are private. Why is that ? I mean wouldn't the mapping community as well as the custom maps lovers of precious help ?

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

However I wont commit to

- how many
    - which maps

We are working on NEW maps for NS2. No time scale, but we are trying to make sure they work in both public and comp play from the outset.
    Shouldn't it be a priority too to try and "officialize" custom maps that are currently being worked on ? and could perfectly fit pub play, comp play or both ? Some custom maps have a lot of potential
    I mean, it's awesome that people are working on new maps for the game, but I guess they are private. Why is that ? I mean wouldn't the mapping community as well as the custom maps lovers of precious help ?

So as Obby said we are working on new MAPs and "NEW" can be anything ;) We will be working to reveal more about them very soon. As far as other topics go, Matchmaking requires some other behind the scenes work in order to work properly. There are some goals and targets for us over the next couple months to help re-work the foundation of items like the main menu and steam integration that should help us in reaching a lot of these goals. Performance, of course we want that but in all honesty it wont be coming in any large fashion, expect over the next few patches to see more and more minor fixes or improvements that will overall have a better effect to performance.

I have been on a very crazy schedule at work for the last couple weeks, but in another week Obby and I will be sitting down with the group again to talk about some new ways to reach out to the community for feedback as well as evaluating some of the trello items for a better way of tracking vote popularity. Thanks again for the feedback!

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @CDT

Is one of the new maps Hera!?!?!

I've been waiting for it for so long.....
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Benson wrote: »
    @CDT

Is one of the new maps Hera!?!?!

I've been waiting for it for so long.....

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/120259/ns2-hera/p1

There ya go. It's in the works, but... it's in the works.
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    About matchmaking. The "player base is too low"-argument has been used forever - even when the player base was positively healthy. Games like Nosgoth and Loadout which both have similar player bases both have matchmaking, and although both of these games have had their fair share of bugs in the matchmaking systems, it works fairly well. Some high level players will be stuck in lobby some times and that's a shame - but that happens in csgo as well which has a very large player base.

Tbh, it can't hurt to just try it out at this point. No one is suggesting you have to replace private servers with matchmaking.

You're taking one point out of context. It makes complete sense in relation to all the other points.

A. There is a limited return because having a low playerbase and complex game (much more complex than the fragfests you mentioned) make matchmaking harder to implement and much more easily broken (bad matchups, commander/lifeform roles, etc.)
    B. There is limited time/effort/resources (matchmaking servers and queue servers do cost money)

as such, effort being spent improving performance and fixing bugs takes a higher priority as it has guaranteed returns (bug fixes and performance increase have much better returns)

Even then matchmaking/queueing sits in the 3rd slot of the list posted because there is decent potential for it to improve the game... Just not as much as the 2 points above it.
    Tbh, it can't hurt to just try it out at this point.

I have to add that this irks me.... Like you think it takes no time/effort to just make it happen and the only thing stopping it it people saying no when its clearly on the list of 'things to do'.
    edited September 2014
    WasabiOne wrote: »

However I wont commit to

- how many
    - which maps

So as Obby said we are working on new MAPs and "NEW" can be anything ;) We will be working to reveal more about them very soon.
    You sunavabitch ! xD dat dodge

• LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yes New can be anything.

I just dont want to (or get the CDT to commit to) a certain map or release date for fear that we could not deliver (I.e. it could take longer to be finished etc etc). Until I / we (CDT) are fully sure we can hit set date you will have to stay in the dark

BUT

In due time things will emerge people will see and be informed and clearly be amazed because if not I will send a pack of skulks to your house to change your minds.