267: FPS quality, part 2: Files and the critical path

Comments

• METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    BtLLNXqIUAATmyy.jpg

And what about D3D11?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    METROID wrote: »
    BtLLNXqIUAATmyy.jpg

And what about D3D11?

DX11 already does a lot of this itself. But seeing as NS2 uses no DX11 shaders you should only use DX11 if it gives you better FPS or responsiveness due to it being more optimized for multithreading.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »

Looks like the patch will launch while I am on vacation. :P

Everyone have a good time enjoying its wonders!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    PoNeH wrote: »
    I don't really care about increasing my FPS. I just want my FPS to be more reflective of what I'm experiencing. I would say I average anywhere between 50-60 range and it seems like I'm playing at 20 FPS. If that wasn't bad enough, I get micro lag randomly throughout gameplay.

After the last sweep of changes in the past week and a half (mostly just reverting the addition of Asian fonts) the framerate has become so smooth that it's like playing a completely different game. With any luck (and without promising anything!) I think you'll be pleased with 267.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2014
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    dePARA wrote: »

Para is getting nervous and might collapse under the pressure! Have mercy and give him his patch please! D:

;)

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Can't await the smoother gameplay. Do you think skulks will have a difficult time ahead due to better tracking or do the skulks profit enough as well to balance for better shooting?
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, we can't really keep frame quality bad just to keep skulks alive ... if it changes balance, tweaking will ensue.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Or free leap with a 2nd hive :P
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does it really make the game that much different?
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »

I would presume that with better performance at least lerk play COULD be affected since it relies on its particular movement. This is something I as a lerk player really want to test as it could change the approach how lerk is going to be played in the future.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Look at the world cup when they played over lan which reduced interp time. Marines dominated for both teams for the majority of the games. That is a different kind of lag being removed but its just a taste of how much better marines can aim.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Everyone remember the Build when Descent was released? Skulk animations were fixed/smoothed and marine wins shot up.

Marines that had learned to play with the broken had a much simpler time of hitting things once they were fixed. After a bit though Aliens came back and things balanced out. I imagine something similar to that will happen, if anything.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So if rifle hitreg feels better, Could this be the end of the rare, but undeniably present instances of no-dmg shotgun meatshots?
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, large part of them comes form the skulk landing his killing blow on you on the server, before your meatshot move lands at the server.

Once you are dead, you are not allowed to shoot, so the server just discards it.

Those ... won't change.

But apart from those, I would expect it to become rarer.

My only problem in 267 is realizing that I'm running out of excuses for my sucky aim ... I unloaded a whole clip at a dodging skulk the other day, and all I got was a single little lonesome 'chirp' back from the hitsound feedback.

49 misses, 1 hit.

I died. Of course and of shame... :-/
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    matso wrote: »
    Well, large part of them comes form the skulk landing his killing blow on you on the server, before your meatshot move lands at the server.

Once you are dead, you are not allowed to shoot, so the server just discards it.

Those ... won't change.

My only problem in 267 is realizing that I'm running out of excuses for my sucky aim ... I unloaded a whole clip at a dodging skulk the other day, and all I got was a single little lonesome 'chirp' back from the hitsound feedback.

49 misses, 1 hit.

--> pistol time.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members

Those ... won't change.

49 misses, 1 hit.

--> pistol axe time.

RapGod wrote: »

--> pistol axe time. welder time
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Warforce17 wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »

--> pistol axe time. welder time riflebutt time
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Must... not... make... hammer time... joke...
    edited July 2014
    20% more fps @ endgame on a 120 tick server with smooth responsive gameplay tracked by a real skill system.
    Wow.

Sad thing is: This had to be implemented much earlier before all the sales.
    Now its a bit to late.

I was talking with andi (sewlek) ages ago about implementing new features before optimizing the core of the game.
    New features are fine, but in the end people stop playing cause horrible performance not cause missing babblers.

Maybe UWE learned from there mistakes, well at least i hope so.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2014

To be 100% honest with you, this would make all the difference for someone like me. When I played NS2 I wouldn't complain too much about it, but I could say with no hesitation that tons and tons of my shots weren't hitting just because I had problems like input delay. I like to play on my native resolution and unfortunately play max fov as well, my framerate wasn't atrocious but it got quite bad towards later on in the game where it become 'unplayable' in a competitive environment (not unplayable as in literally cannot be played)

Plus there was always a feeling like I didn't have my 'real' framerate, and that wasn't even end-game that was just as soon as I started playing. I got use to it and adapted though :P

@depara, where did you hear anything about 120 tick? I think that's a bit of an excessive leap for the server.... unless it performs under that condition - then I'd assume it'd be possible under a 6v6 on the nsl maps to keep that framerate throughout
    @ezekel‌

The rates are unlocked in 267, so a 500 tick server would be posssible in theory (im sure we see some funny new servertitles soon: "42 slots, NO LAGG!! 500 ticks")

But im optimistic to have higher server and update rates on my server without any problems after a bit testing.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    On glorifying Matso:

I've been a hobby programmer for a long time, spending many hours meditating over problems and developing algorithms. I was never good at it, and often required forum help. People who helped me were basically math geniuses, who I used to think of as boring people with no interest in spirituality, and bad social skills. Such people are my heroes when it comes to coding, and also as a gamer.
    I'm not that stereotypical btw, I just enjoy the discussions.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm gonna give this game a go again off the back of this and the comp mod. +1
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Woah, a Tweadle post.

My concern for this patch isn't how awesome the configurable update rate and move rate can be, but what servers will actually be capable of a sizable increase without crippling performance problems. Multiplay servers already struggle without any changes. Aus net won't permit servers put up by community members with meaty enough machines, I want to try this!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Jekt wrote: »
    Woah, a Tweadle post.

My concern for this patch isn't how awesome the configurable update rate and move rate can be, but what servers will actually be capable of a sizable increase without crippling performance problems. Multiplay servers already struggle without any changes. Aus net won't permit servers put up by community members with meaty enough machines, I want to try this!

a while back dragon was able to get a moverate of 50 i think, and it didn't cripple his server in 6v6 setting