267: FPS quality, part 2: Files and the critical path

Comments

• RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your mumbo jumbo with flashy charts has silenced me, I shall be patient *twitches*
    Thanks for the update, sounds like this is coming together pretty great!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Man am I excited for this update. I go on a small vacation this weekend, hope you guys don't release it exactly then :P
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Darakian wrote: »
    Korean fonts caused that!? This is UTF-8 right? Are the fonts being applied to the models in some way?

The fonts are converted to textures, which are loaded into texture memory. That system works great if you have like 200 characters that need to be loaded, not so great for 20000 (creating textures for them makes them much faster for rendering). So the new korean characters where reverted until a better way to handle fonts is implemented.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited July 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Deck_‌ then you're gonna love the unlocked server rates, too.. It feels like a different game, skulks actually die in 9 rounds, it's weirdly amazing. ;)

I'm looking forward to try this. Will server admins be able to change the tick rate in 267?

Edit: Yes. CDT Trello
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    SupaFred wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Deck_‌ then you're gonna love the unlocked server rates, too.. It feels like a different game, skulks actually die in 9 rounds, it's weirdly amazing. ;)

I'm looking forward to try this. Will server admins be able to change the tick rate in 267?

I know there will be a lot of confusion around this, but the tickrate is not really important. The tickrate, the way its used in ns2 is the speed at wich AI units are updated. This means how fast a drifter will react, or a turret, or even a phasegate.

What is really important is that the update rate from the server has been unlocked, that is the rate at which the server sends updates to the client. The update rate from the client has been unlocked for a long time (the mr (movement rate) ) command. So its really not about the tickrate, but about the update rates. I'm sure there will be a document that explains thise once 267 goes live, because from what i have seen most people get it wrong at the moment.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Asraniel wrote: »
    I know there will be a lot of confusion around this, but the tickrate is not really important.

Thanks for clearing that out. I'm looking forward to try the instructions in the document then. I have some overcapacity on my servers that I'd be happy to use to improve the game experience.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2014
    It all explains why moving the game to a SSD disk brought such a massive improvement. It also explains why the game is full of micro lag overall.

I am really glad I shelled out a few more bucks and bought GTX670 with 4GB VRAM.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd have to agree that installing this on an SSD is the only way to fly.
    Regular drives just give the games performance a bad reputation.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @meatmachine‌ damn man, get a new one. Cant you see its almost filled? :D
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I blame Brian for these issues. Just sayin'...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    PoNeH wrote: »
    I blame Brian for these issues. Just sayin'...

He's not the messiah, he's a very... okay I can't bring myself to do that
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Wait, 'regular' drives aren't SSDs? :) If there is anyone out there who doesn't use an SSD right now, regardless of whether you're an NS2 gamer or not, you should. I would rate it as one of the most important upgrades in a computer (or base units in a new build), with absolutely no reason to skimp, even (or perhaps especially) on a cheaper build.

I have to disagree with this statement for games like NS2. A lot of people now have considerably more ram, with the average person sporting 16gb of ram, I've got 16gb in my laptop and 32gb on my desktop (and an SSD). If cached properly, this can be superior to an SSD.

While I've been making a ramdisk to stop the hitching largely, it is not the only cause of the hitching unfortunately. Certain maps at particular times still hitch.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Turbine wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Wait, 'regular' drives aren't SSDs? :) If there is anyone out there who doesn't use an SSD right now, regardless of whether you're an NS2 gamer or not, you should. I would rate it as one of the most important upgrades in a computer (or base units in a new build), with absolutely no reason to skimp, even (or perhaps especially) on a cheaper build.

I have to disagree with this statement for games like NS2. A lot of people now have considerably more ram, with the average person sporting 16gb of ram, I've got 16gb in my laptop and 32gb on my desktop (and an SSD). If cached properly, this can be superior to an SSD.

While I've been making a ramdisk to stop the hitching largely, it is not the only cause of the hitching unfortunately. Certain maps at particular times still hitch.

Average person sporting 16gb? No no no. 8gb is just now becoming the norm for gaming set ups. Even then, ram disks are really annoying to set up and use in my experience.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Turbine‌ that's because not all hitches are created equal.
    See the part 1 hitching thread for examples of the other hitches that have been tracked down. There's a range of reasons.

Some of these fixes for hitches that have been attempted, while having little effect on what created my hitches, led to benefiting everyone by reducing rendering overheads etc
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Woke up this morning, got excited about the patch again. God damn you NS2CDT, you guys are getting me hype with your status reports!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm dreading any changes to the way the game plays, all this talk of gorge tunnels makes me sad. The beta stopped ages ago, let it go :((
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    99 errors and bugs in the code, 99 errors and bugs...

Take one down, patch it around, 128 errors and bugs in the code...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »

It is pretty crazy how much stuff is in 267. Not to mention it's all been tested, re-tested and re-re-tested. Now onto the final stretch! :)

Is it coming out in exactly 27 days? :P
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    I'm so excited for the patch that I finally purchased Shadow tier, does it go to the CDT or any future ns2 update? Probably not, but still wanted the skins regardless.

Now whens Shadow Fade/Onos. :P
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I don't really care about increasing my FPS. I just want my FPS to be more reflective of what I'm experiencing. I would say I average anywhere between 50-60 range and it seems like I'm playing at 20 FPS. If that wasn't bad enough, I get micro lag randomly throughout gameplay.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PoNeH wrote: »
    I don't really care about increasing my FPS. I just want my FPS to be more reflective of what I'm experiencing. I would say I average anywhere between 50-60 range and it seems like I'm playing at 20 FPS. If that wasn't bad enough, I get micro lag randomly throughout gameplay.
    267 might be just the right patch for you.