Solution to Workshop mod problems

Comments

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @ZEROibis‌ Wasn't the lag fixed in the latest patch? It said so in the patch notes.

@cpt000‌ Here is the consistency check and mapcycle I use on my Combat server. With the check you can run all of the maps in the mapcycle. It's only Twither, Stargate and Nest that requires you to modify the consistency check. files
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    Fred, thanks!!! Works great now.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Want to go swimming in the summer better think twice if your a server operator b/c once again we end up with a server dead in the water for 6 hours due to this madness.
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Want to go swimming in the summer better think twice if your a server operator b/c once again we end up with a server dead in the water for 6 hours due to this madness.

Looks like you're pissing in the wind ZERO!
    Oh that is right now that it is summer valve servers are under more load which means we get this problem multiple times per week.

Once again this morning we lose a full server b/c the workshop is down and we have custom maps b/c it is combat mod.
    Steam summer sale is here so you know what that means for the workshop...
    For those who are new and for those that still think this is not needed please read the OP again as a refresher as what I am asking for is not a big solution that can not ever actually be implemented.
    edited June 2014
    Still do not understand why this is considered acceptable behavior:
    http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1246440/174.37.194.21:27015

Server getting killed multiple times per day due to file not found on map change. The workshop issues make the game virtually unplayable during steam sales and this is VERY bad experience for new players to get introduced to a game where they can not even play due to this error.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Same here. Really annoying.
    wow 5 times in a row I had to restart to just get it to load...

Maybe, just maybe someone is paying attention now that the CDT is around and maybe just maybe someone cares enough about this games future to fix this.
    Oh dam, I forgot I am not allowed to sleep anymore b/c this issue occurs so often. Maybe UWE should stay up all night restarting our servers for us so they can learn how it feels to just sit and wait all day for your server to go down and then to keep restarting it b/c even then the workshop still does not load.

It is like we got a Russian Roulette mini game for server operators except that every chamber is loaded all the time we are just waiting for when the trigger is going to get pulled.
    Yeah...crashed again.....server empty.......

Can somebody at UWE please take a half hour out of your day to fix this shit?
    File not found......today is 6/27/14 a little after 12:00 pm Est.

HelloAnybodyInThere.jpg
    This is occurring mutiple times per day every day. This has a big impact on users playing the game and their experience. It is a major turn off for new players.

It is time to get this fixed.
    It literally now has a 50% chance to go down on map change all morning. I have restarted it so many times it is crazy. I even tried just changing the map but gave up after 5 attempts all resulted in failure. I then just restarted it another 3 times before it worked.
    You know...I paid full price for this game....I bought into the reinforced deal.....I'm behind you guys 100% but it seems as if you can't devote a small amount of time to fix this issue that is really impacting the players experience. Not so sure I want to go all in with this company on their next game if this is what we can expect.

The only reason I bought into you guys is because you made a kick ass mod that I played the crap out of and then turned it into an actual game....so I felt I owed you guys at least that. I think every hard core UWE fan feels the same.....c'mon...fix this sh!t...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know samus and ghoul know of this, but you guys really should be directing your queries towards the CDT team now.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    I know samus and ghoul know of this, but you guys really should be directing your queries towards the CDT team now.

Yeah we are well aware of it and this issue is long known ( since 1.10.2012 in mantis ) but to fix it you need to have engine access.

As neither samus nor i have engine access all we can do is to ask the guys with engine access to look at it.

But all CDT engine devs are allready more than busy with the physic stuff coming with 267 so i can't say when this get fixed.
    You know, because of all those big physics bugs that literally take down your server every few map changes (or more lately every other), oh wait that is the workshop.

On a related note hopefully those physics changes will improve performance b/c I assume that is why they are working on them. Hopefully after the next build they can start on the workshop problem b/c this is currently the most major bug that inhibits game play and diminishes player experience that can be solved without major complications.
    Dang, I was hoping that with the summer sale over the workshop would not be going down as much but after multiple outages again today maybe we really will not get any relief until at least the patch after next.

I am glad that at least the question is now WHEN it will get fixed and not IF.
  • SEKBlackhawkSEKBlackhawk Germany Join Date: 2013-12-22 Member: 190625Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm very sorry to say that this issue is a pain in the ass. Keeps killing the server multiple times a day.
    Is there any way to spin up the timeout period the system uses to wait for an answer? Or won't that help at all?
    The issue is not really the timeout period there is not even a retry attempt, it is just either up or down at that exact moment.
    When will we see this issue in the development tracker? It is currently the most major bug that effects the ability to play the game.

One day people may even want to be able to run custom maps on their server but right now it is just asking for this glitch to come by and kill your server.
    Another day another freeze, here is to hope that the CDT will take this issue on for the patch after next!
    Another day of this server killing glitch, please CDT lead us to the promised land and deliver us from this bug!
    Still a daily occurrence...
    Still going down every single day.
    Wonderful, looks like we are now back to having it multiple times a day again. At this rate it is not unimaginable that in a few months time the workshop will be so unreliable that running mods in general is not even going to be possible anymore.
  • SEKBlackhawkSEKBlackhawk Germany Join Date: 2013-12-22 Member: 190625Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, sometime nothing at all a day, sometimes every mapchange up to 5 times in line - i don't get that logic.
    Yep today again as usual, workshop breaks you restart and it works then your change map and down again. Had a full server since the last time it blew up. What is annoying is when the only times your server ever is not full is b/c the workshop killed the server.