NS2 is on sale. New people are joining. Welcome them!

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    simiadei wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I am one of those nasty greens who bought game on sale and will be spoiling your pleasure because of being so noobish :)
    I've played only few hours but i can say that this game is awesom.
    Quick question - are there any clans/groups playing organised games?
    One good way to get in a groove is to find a server that performs well and you usually have a decent connection to, the keep going back to it. Before long people will start to recognize you and you'll start to recognize them. There is also a steam group somewhere set up for Pick up Games (ns2 pugs), though I'm not sure how active it is any more.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2014
    Hi Guys,
    I am one of those nasty greens who bought game on sale and will be spoiling your pleasure because of being so noobish :)

Official Competitive NS2 Website

North America Pug Games via Reddit

EU Pug System via Natural Selection League (Just click on Gathers)

There are also plenty of us that stream comp. My stream is here. and there are tons of other streamers as well. #shamelessplug
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for playing!

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2014
    @Simiadei - Welcome! Flaterectomy linked you for gathers. If you're from North America, they do pick up games in the evenings. Same idea as gathers. You can check out their Steam group here for info - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rns2pugs Just make sure you tell everyone you're new so they don't get frustrated :D

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OV73NJt9qM&t=1m34s

Seriously though, glad to have more players coming in! :D
  • simiadeisimiadei Polska Join Date: 2014-06-23 Member: 196779Members
    Thank you all for such a warm welcome :)
    I'll check all the links and hopefully join community for long time.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer

I wish there were more like you :(
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @simiadei
    Lets meet here again in around 2 weeks after you getting stomped by "cheating clanplayers" from: snails, titus and all the other clans.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    dePARA wrote: »
    @simiadei
    Lets meet here again in around 2 weeks after you getting stomped by "cheating clanplayers" from: snails, titus and all the other clans.
    Let's meet here again in <insert long time here> when you stop being quite as cynnical to someone new who expresses a geniune interest in the game that has captivated so much of our attention. Lay off.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's marine babbler killing time!
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    sebb wrote: »

I wish there were more like you :(
    There are. I had a great time last night on Woozas where we had 16 greens, most marines as expected, and I jumped in the chair to guide them as they learned. Some of them were so nice, telling me over mic when they had finished building a node, and asking for more orders! Marines that listen, I was in comm heaven!

There were a number of lols too, like when one of them said 'THERES TWO OF THOSE BATS IN SYSTEM!!!' Bats? Oooh, they're Lerks :) Don't let them bite!

Incidentally:

http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#1m

Flash sale bought this up to 1902 the other night, up by about 1282 on the previous weeks average. Last night, the peak was 1871 -- which means 1251 returned the next night to play again.

And lets face it those last 31 probably had their net drop out, the wife was giving birth, or their tiny coastal town was invaded and they had to kick all sorts of real alien ass before they could sit down for a relaxing game or ten of NS2. I mean, these are of course the only logical answers.

• MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Roobubba wrote: »
    One last point on 'that 42p server' - there are a whole load of modifications on there for balance... sounds great doesn't it? Except now it's twice as bad for new players, because they join a normal server and the prices/tech trees/mechanics are different. Honestly, this does more harm than good to our community, especially at times like this when we're trying to impress and encourage as many greens as possible.
    It helps to actually play on a server before commenting about it.

For one, the only balance change is that marines start with 1-2 more IPs. That's it.

And for two, what we're seeing is greens coming, staying, and returning -- and having a ball. Your perception, based on what you think happens from your own experience extrapolated to a larger server, is not the reality (server issues aside, as they do happen, but are perhaps not as important as you think. It's a more casual game, less rides on the individual, why it's attractive as a learning environment, but I digress). Just consider that instead of dismissing it outright.

And remember it doesn't restrict people to play only on these -- the same player can play 6v6, 12v12, 20v20, vanilla, combat, comp mod, etc. Greens are going to play on a lot of servers as they learn the game. Just let them have fun and find what they like most, and be happy they are. It's what keeps them coming back.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Small feedback to the disagrees on my last post.

From an view of a new player every Vet with Stats like 30-0 must be an cheater.
    I was playing some rounds pub yesterday and start the game with the intention to play passive and tried to give some tips while i am building stuff and defend a bit what we have while the others trying to push.

Well, i had 30-0 stats @ end and my try to help ends in "stfu, a***hole" from one player.

Its nice that some new players like the game, but im sure 90% of the current greenwave playing some rounds and stop playing then.
    In around 2 weeks we are back to the playercount before the sale, believe me.

Reasons discussed here before 100000 times:

From an view of an new player:
    - This game is full of cheaters (Vets and clanplayers)
    - Perfomance is horrible (Most times cause horrible servers)
    - No balance (everything seems op if vets using it. shotgun, fade, lerk .....)

If a new player "survive" these 2 weeks, well, welcome to NS2.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    dePara the new Nezz. Confirmed.

But seriously dude. Post something happy for once.
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was thinking about making a new thread to help the rookies get into pug play. Would be better if someone made a little tutorial into how to get into pugs and what you're expected to do and what the new players are to expect when they join a pug.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    See this is just ridiculous. Rookie players don't play on 24p servers in order to learn the basics and get hold of the movement, they join 24p servers because they appear at the top of your list when you order by current players on a server and work your way down the list choosing one to join.
    Regardless of whether you like a messy fustercluck or not, the server performance is horrible, the client performance is even more horrible (especially if they're not running high end rigs), and the whole experience is not a good advertisement for NS2.
    I wouldn't call 10v10 and 12v12 a clusterf*ck yet. Ofc performance is worse, but very playable and also fun. 6v6 and 8v8 are too unforgiving and frustrating in puplic play with rookies. I totally agree with you with any higher count server though. Especially the 42 server.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I dunno about you lot but I will let a rookie empty clips at.me before I engage, I'll bounce around and parasite let them get used to the movement. I'm not hiding or crouch walking either. Just feels mean this early on.
    edited June 2014
    One last point on 'that 42p server' - there are a whole load of modifications on there for balance... sounds great doesn't it? Except now it's twice as bad for new players, because they join a normal server and the prices/tech trees/mechanics are different. Honestly, this does more harm than good to our community, especially at times like this when we're trying to impress and encourage as many greens as possible.

http://www.twitch.tv/schustor/c/4527004

edit* I guess i should have made a point with this. Apparently they have a mod with magnetized lava.

Nah but this tick rate of a server this large is terrible. Rookies shouldn't be introduced to this pub and if they do i feel sorry for them
    Why the hell would you have a mod that magnetizes the lava...
    I dunno, why would you have a mod with skulks with shotguns...
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    schu wrote: »
    I dunno, why ON EARTH would you NOT have a mod with skulks with shotguns...

Fixed, sws <3

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Skulks with shotguns is obscenely fun, I recommend you try it! You will probably have to seed an existing SWS server and invite your friends, but its totally worth it. The adrenaline rush is amazing, and there's so much action its easy to get into a nice 'flow'.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members

Lel, it is more fun when there are gorge hostages.

It would be fun to get them into the pugs, but they might need a run down with the comp mod/FF/and how to work with a smaller team.

Welcome people.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    Another idea for improving games is to block Green players from getting in the command seat. Or at the very least, remove the big flashing signs that say to jump in the CC.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    A lot of rookies seem to play on these servers just to learn the basics and get ahold of the movement.

See this is just ridiculous. Rookie players don't play on 24p servers in order to learn the basics and get hold of the movement, they join 24p servers because they appear at the top of your list when you order by current players on a server and work your way down the list choosing one to join.

Regardless of whether you like a messy fustercluck or not, the server performance is horrible, the client performance is even more horrible (especially if they're not running high end rigs), and the whole experience is not a good advertisement for NS2.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think rookies should start out playing 6v6, either. For a start, they'll never find each other because they all seem to stay in base for 2 minutes before someone gets the courage to move out, whereupon they all move out in one big block of wall-painting lolitude.

But I've been saying it for years, and I'm glad that the CDT is beginning to tackle the issue: the overall experience and impression on new players needs to be as smooth and as friendly as possible.

We get it, you hate larger servers because they don't meet your criteria. All I really see is 'it sucks but 6v6 is also hard for rookies.... so.. good thing the game is going to make the experience as smooth and as friendly as possibe(?)'.

If people join servers you don't like, but they do like, please lay off them. If you think it's a bad advertisement to uwe, well it's too bad servers can't handle more players (would need johnny depp from transcendence to run them well).