Choosing Teams by Captains - As a game mode/mod?

slizzeredslizzered Germany Join Date: 2014-05-31 Member: 196317Members
edited June 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
As @It's Super Effective!‌ explained here
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2200926/#Comment_2200926
having "Captains" who choose their teams player by player can be (potentially) a good way to balance teams and even refine the balance over several successive matches. I have seen this to work, but the setup time is sometimes VERY long (10min+) and at least 1 player requires explanation.

So the downsides include: people on a regular NS2 server might not be patient enough for the draw, disagree with the whole idea, miss that the captain called their name, screw up the draw by simply joining a team...

Would you think, a "Captains" game mode could be a solution?
Immediate benefits of the new idea:
  • People can see right in the server browser, that it's not a regular "ns2" server, but "ns2+captains". Therefore you know there will be fair games, but you can't freely join teams.
  • Selection of captains and teams can be supported by the mod itself (see below). This prevents players joining teams prematurely and messing up the process.

Possible downsides of the new idea:
  • Adds another layer of "bureaucracy" on top of the already existing effort to choose a commander. But it might still be faster than the "manual" captains idea
  • More complicated protocol to follow, people might get confused the first time. Again, more guidance than doing captains manually
  • I don't know if it would be feasible to implement the ideas, never looked into modding NS2
  • Players can't join their preferred race, but have to follow the captain (should not be a problem, actually. The same happens currently when forcing even teams)

How:
  • In the Ready Room are 2 "CAPTAIN" tokens. Whoever picks up one of those tokens, is a captain of team A or B. Or have a captain-door. Or type "captain" in chat. The first 2 players become captains.
  • Instead of "ReadyRoom, Marines, Aliens, Spectator", there are scoreboards "Unaligned, Team A, Team B, Spectator"
  • Captains now take turns pick their team (1-2-2-2- for example) by selecting them from the "Unaligned" scoreboard.
  • Since captains do not know every player, the picking process could be supported by displaying some skill-metric for each player. Ideas for metrics: Number of hours logged at ns2stats.com. When the new skill ranking system is functional, maybe use that.
  • Once the teams A and B are complete, the captains can join Aliens or Marines. Their whole team auto-joins immediately.
  • After the match has started, players can join/leave like in regular matches
  • After the match is finished, players remain in their teams A/B. Captains can choose to drop players from their team (this allows to trade players) and pick from the unaligned players improve balance.
  • Captains again join Aliens/Marines to start a new match, taking their teams with them. Since most of the teams remain the same, this can reduce delay between matches.

Comments

• MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited June 2014
    This sounds like it could be a good idea depending on how easy it is for the CDT to implement it. However I do see one potential problem. If becoming captain only requires entering a door or typing captains... what happens when a troll or rookie jumps into the captain spot? Would it even be possible to add an "eject captain" vote for the ready room?

If this idea goes forward it would also be nice to have some kind of tag the player can choose so captains can see which team they prefer and/or are better at playing. I know most people probably don't care, but I have to imagine that there are at least some people like me out there who only really enjoy playing one side. (for me it's Alien - I'm completely useless as a Marine lol)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Well the current implementation of this idea (not-modded) is supervised by admins and community members on KKG for example. In addition, this format only really works on servers that do have communities with active and frequent members playing on said server such as the KKG regulars. It's quite important for the captains to know the players and how good they are in relation to everyone else so that team picking can be as balanced as possible (good, well known players get picked first ofc).

As a mod, I don't know if it will work but it might be possible. As you suggest @MoFo, its quite important to have the capacity to kick or remove a captain in case of a troll. In the case of rookies, this mod/concept should not be implemented on rookie servers or normal servers in general thus why we see KKG 150hours+ required and this is important.

Addressing the idea itself, it's actually pretty awesome if you have a bunch of server regulars who know each other, you get extremely close and balanced games for the most part and it is quite competitive as far as pubs go, doesn't match up to 6v6 but its interesting and it works.

The biggest problem I've found so far is the lack of people willing to take the role of captain, sometimes it can take awhile to convince people to take the role and if you get a captain that doesn't know the players then the stacking and stomping just continues.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    We play like this on regular basis. It really helps to improve teamwork and overall quality of matches. When people get picked one by one, they start to feel some kind of responsibility.
  • slizzeredslizzered Germany Join Date: 2014-05-31 Member: 196317Members
    Yeah, maybe I put too much focus on the idea of the implementation itself. Maybe the most important part is, that people can already see in the server browser, that it's a captains server. So they only join if they like the concept.
    The most important part of the mod would be to hinder people from joining teams at will (to enforce the picking by the captain).

For ejecting the captain... what about just kicking the player, if he is just a troll? If the server is running the captains mod, the server owner obviously wants people to obey the captains principle. Besides that... I trust in the community ;D

Other stuff like keeping the teams the same after the round or displaying of some skill metric is merely a bonus.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Solution for the problem: Automated Matchmaking system with chooseable roles. Disadvantage: You can't play with friends unless some kind of Friend / Group management like in SC2 or LoL comes with it + needs many players in the pool, see "Gather".
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    If you want to see a captains mod in action visit the Tactical Gamer servers. Good quality games played there.
    Its funny how ppl are just mentioning it now since its been on our servers for a long time.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Many servers do have "tournament mode" that the game won't start until the commanders type !ready leaving the teams to be smart enough and prepared enough to start. They also feature ALL TALK to hash out the drafting details easily. This is usually enough.

A game play mode? Well the Gather system was sort of like that, but then you need people to queue up in there.

People are more willing to do captains, once they feel that the server cannot keep the teams even via "shuffle" or just voiding stacking. Thus servers that already have people are incentivized to stay if it may result in a balanced game.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    May I also add, the "non-gamemode" style that it is now, at least gives the player the CHOICE to seek a more civilized way to balance the teams, rather than a MOD that forces that decision.

Now yes, Captains is pretty slow at first, but this gradually gets better the more people are accustomed to it, but also IF THE TEAMS WERE EVEN, then simply swap sides the next round, and you gain some of that time back.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I've thought about this a lot as I play frequently on Tactical Gamer. It's a lovely mod. They do Captain's nights on Fridays and anytime your on the server if you can get two captains + people who want to play, we can start captains games.

When we decide to play a Captain's game spontaneously, there's always people confused. There's always enough regulars (usually like 10 of us or so total) that we can sort it out and explain to them what it means. I captained a spontaneous captain's game once and it was difficult to pick players because we didn't know their skill level. There would have to be a way to display that. Then we also have the issue of players who don't communicate / aren't cooperating. They get removed and we'll have someone else jump in. It's an easy fix on the TG servers, but what about if I'm on an official NS2 server and nobody has admin? There's a lot of things that would need added and addressed.

I love love love love the mod. I really do. It does great on TacticalGamer and I have a blast every time I play. However, I'm not 100% sure that we'd be able to make it work in Vanilla NS2. It might be up to communities to choose to have/run these mods and ensure that it runs smoothly.
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I rarely pub. However, i joined KKG a week or so ago and they were doing captain games. I got picked near the end because nobody knows who i am. Needless to say, after 1 round of going 30-2 on marines i got picked first every other game.

So my point is, if a player you don't know joins these servers, you can screw up the team balance. On top of that, the skill difference in general in pubs is mind-boggling. You can have a decent player to a competitive players eye, but at the same time hes better than everyone else on the server. Its hard to balance teams even with captain games from those 2 factors alone. Players with 0 map awareness and such playing for a balanced game just doesn't work.

I can only suggest pugging and learn from players who know more about the game.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    As someone who has had experience managing populated servers it has come to my intention that attempting to lead people into these sets of rules without some sort of plugin enforcing them, will not work.

In other words. If a plugin exists which somehow forces two players to be captains, and prevents players from joining teams. If a player tries to join a team, they should get a message "Team captain mode activated". To which would spawn some curiosity as these two captains have a drop down menu of every player in the server (such as the vote kick).

In other words, everything would have to be scripted, plugin enforced, able to use without an admins support, or without people convincing other people how it works.

TL;DR - Bring back siege maps.
  • slizzeredslizzered Germany Join Date: 2014-05-31 Member: 196317Members
    edited June 2014
    May I also add, the "non-gamemode" style that it is now, at least gives the player the CHOICE to seek a more civilized way to balance the teams, rather than a MOD that forces that decision.
    Yes, that was one of my concerns as well. However, people do have the choice to join the server only if they actually want to play captains. A similar thing is currently happening when servers do a captains night:
    People joining the server are forced to obey captains picking. If they don't, they get kicked. If they connect to the server and immediately join a team, they can be told to F4. BUT (and that's important): If there is no enforcing mod, they will delay/interrupt the whole process.
    Best thing would be to provide players the right tools to handle captains a little bit more efficiently, instead of forcing them into a very fixed frame of scripted events.

Now yes, Captains is pretty slow at first, but this gradually gets better the more people are accustomed to it
    Do you think it might be possible to establish the captains idea firmly enough in the community, so that an additional game mode becomes entirely obsolete? I'm not yet involved enough in the community to decide on that one, but I assume it would require the combined effort of most of the popular servers.

schu wrote: »
    So my point is, if a player you don't know joins these servers, you can screw up the team balance. On top of that, the skill difference in general in pubs is mind-boggling.
    Yes, that's why some display of skill-level would be beneficial, even if not playing captains. If the metric is good enough (I still think a function of total hours played is not too bad), you can at least get an idea about the players abilities and how well he/she can contribute to the team. Although the current "system" of "which teams has the most badges" can give an impression about the stack, it is more than basic and sometimes plain wrong.

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    If you can convince people to do it, then it's great. If people listen, you can actually make fairly balanced game (fairly). I've been a part of it / been a captain a couple times n it was great. Wasn't a server mod either, everyone's choice.
    @slizzered‌ Oh it would be great if it were a regular community thing, but again, this is like trying to do a "recycling initiative" to clean up the town. If people want to do it, they will, but realistically not everyone will. I can only hope that the majority of the player base is willing, and as people get exposed to it and find it enjoyable, then it will spread by itself.

The whole display of skill-level thing...ehh I like where that's going but...frankly that has quite a few challenges to overcome. if it did exist then that would be great. BUT then the whole captain thing would be pointless, because then we'd simply be able to properly use the BALANCE TEAMS option or at least have what was needed to make a match making system automated, just saying. That can of worms stops at "how do we calculate and quantify skill"....so ya.

*My post here represents me as a player of this game and does not represent the opinions of any other groups or members thereof to whom I am affiliated with.
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    Having played several day's of captains games on the TG server I have to question whether or not most servers or players have the patience for full time captains. I had a great time (though i got destroyed) but I think many pubber's will revolt when it adds extra time and isn't a guarantee for a balanced game.

My experience was that even with two knowledgeable captains and only mildly tweaked teams, the snowballing nature of NS2 still has the capacity to end in a pretty decisive route. Most pub players would immediately call for rebalanced teams as every loss is a "stack". It's very easy for one player to have an all-star round and that directly translates into a buff for everyone on his team.

Also even if you managed to get a close game server churn often lead to having to pick teams again the next round (instead of just swapping sides).

The major benefit I saw to the captains games were that during these times the server was very actively admin'd which I think had at least as big an impact as the captains.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The KKG hives 1 and 2 are exclusively "captains" with 150+ hours only. I've been playing there almost exclusively for the past week or two and I must say that I intend to keep doing so. I don't know about a full on game mode but a mod would be greatly welcome. Things aren't always best on the balance side of things but I'd say that the odds of getting a good game are much better. In addition, it provides a place for people with the higher skill levels to go and play, keeping them away from pub-stomping.

Some ideas for the mod implementation: There could be a new row in the scoreboard for people in the Ready Room that ties into the new stats system the CDT is working on (some form of ELO), that will at least give a starting point for people to pick teams with.

People are usually pretty quick to learn skill levels of players, just the fact that @schu‌ starting getting picked first is evidence to that.
    Can't play on that server after ban. So I can't give ne input on that server... :-/
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @RapGod You should check out Tactical Gamer. I've played a LOT of pubs and I can't recommend a single NA community over TacticalGamer. Their Captain's mod is great and the community is excellent.
    I shall do so, sensei.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Like many have said already, TG has a pretty good working mod for this. I think one of the main reason it works on TG is the large population of regulars that frequent the server. On a server full of rando's, I am not sure how well it would work.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    joshhh wrote: »
    Like many have said already, TG has a pretty good working mod for this. I think one of the main reason it works on TG is the large population of regulars that frequent the server. On a server full of rando's, I am not sure how well it would work.

So much this. You need to know the relative skill levels of all the people you're playing with, their personalities, and everyone needs to be comfortable enough together that getting picked last isn't going to make them feel like trash. I don't see that working in any old random pub.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Revisiting this thread. Is there a version of TG's mod available for download, modification and use on my own servers?
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Short answer: No. :(

I built that mod (TGNS) specifically for the TGNS servers and anyone who wishes to play on them. Its code is littered with assumptions that it's running on our servers (with our configurations, core/shared runtime files, etc). The Lua has been open-source since I started (Google "github TGNS"), but -- after She Who Rolls Her Eyes While I Command In The Next Room, kids, work, "life", and modding and otherwise maintaining the TGNS servers and community at large -- I sadly don't have capacity to offer any support beyond sharing the code.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    AussieKid wrote: »
    Revisiting this thread. Is there a version of TG's mod available for download, modification and use on my own servers?
    Look at Calego's server in NA. He has a functioning captains mod.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    OMG Ghoul this looks amazing!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I was testing it. It realy looks great. I hope You will find time to finish it. I will be using it on my server for sure ;p
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2014
    Nordic wrote: »
    AussieKid wrote: »
    Look at Calego's server in NA. He has a functioning captains mod.
    The given captain mod you talk about is made by me and included into the ns2stats beta but tbh it's nowhere near being finished. I would say it's somewhere between alpha and beta.
    This. We've disabled it for now as it's current state pretty much requires an admin present at all times. But we will keep bugging Ghoul with the problems we find after he updates it.

I've tried to extract TGNS's Captains mode but having only just started out with Lua, I got lost real fast. If any experienced modders want to ply their trade with this endeavor, I can tell you of at least 40 people who would be extremely grateful!

There is most definitely a demand for this "gamemode" in pubs. Experienced players are often telling me that the games on my server have been the best games they've played in recent memory (recently we've been encountering performance issues, but that aside this holds true). I'd totally encourage other admins to set up some NoRookies servers with a captains protocall. You don't need a mod for this to work. You just need to get some regulars who know the drill (two people join a team, then random for first pick, then call out their picks), and some patience.

The worst problem we have now is that it takes longer than normal to get games going. Having to wait for captains, then afks to join, etc. Ghoul's mod manages to cut out on most of those problems.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    During YO regs nights, we've found the best captain system is the following:

1. Captains are picked/chosen
    2. Teams are randomised
    3. Each captain gets to pick 3 players from the other team

It's quicker than normal and usually even yields better results.

Maybe someone can make this into a mod?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is actually a really old idea. It was made 12-18 months ago. But the creator left ns2 and nobody picked up the project.