Announcing the Community Development Team - Build 266 and possibly beyond?

Comments

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    is there a way to incorporate a fix that makes NS2.exe run again in the next patch? would be an improvement compared to UWE´s recent work...
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    we have been testing a tool that should help with those that cant even open NS2, so stay tuned! you just my be in luck
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    edited May 2014
    Make decision on removal of organised play system in list Future Tasks and Wishes
    Last Updated
    May 28 at 6:15 pm
    Description
    It doesn't work, so it will either be removed, or properly fixed. (And 'properly fixed' MUST be justified against opportunity cost and value created.)

Activity
    Dillon (wasabione)
    Dillon archived this card.
    May 28 at 6:15 pm
    Hugh (strayan)
    Hugh added this card to Future Tasks (Outside 265 Scope).
    Apr 21 at 8:06 pm

interesting stuff.

when somebody says "communicate with core player base" who is that referring to? is that just like a forum post?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    that was a card that was previously in the trello board. we felt it should be removed in order for the CDT team to have the discussion on their own and work with the community as to what to do about it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am most interested in long term goals. Do you guys have a list for that yet, although not assigned?
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Add the Extra Entities Mod to the official editor, the lack of mapping possibilities is boring me to hell! Need - moar - triggers :D
    While not this exact thing specifically, we have been discussing this general idea and I've already started on some prototyping work. No ETA however

• MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already in this thread (I didn't see it) Is there any chance that you guys can fix the IP bug that happens when a Marine player goes afk?

Like maybe have the IP sort of "eject" a spawning player off of it in some way so they can't get stuck?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already in this thread (I didn't see it) Is there any chance that you guys can fix the IP bug that happens when a Marine player goes afk?

Like maybe have the IP sort of "eject" a spawning player off of it in some way so they can't get stuck?
    @Mendsap
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members

according to their trello, it looks like that issue has already been fixed and tested, meaning it should be in 266.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Nope didn't even know about it lol... Good to hear, thanks

I just read it again, and I don't see this in here.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    james888 wrote: »

Read it again, it's there.

sebb wrote: »

Read it again, it's there.

2nd from the bottom...

I only found it with control F "ip"
    Future long term goals will start making an appearance once we start on BUILD 267. We are still in the process of figure those things out, but also want to give our programmers time to figure out what they can commit to time wise :) We are all working for free of course
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

@Mendsap

"Mendsap"
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I somehow managed to think it was Mendsap through all of NS1 <_<
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It looks like 266 is well underway. Lots of fixes for what I've seen. This is a safe great start, nobody can complain about fixes. "Unknown player in server browser", "Check all maps for obvious spots you should be able to put tunnels but can't" <3 !!!
    But I don't think you need to release a patch trailer video each time you release a patch (especially if you go at that pace). :)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    It looks like 266 is well underway. Lots of fixes for what I've seen. This is a safe great start, nobody can complain about fixes. "Unknown player in server browser", "Check all maps for obvious spots you should be able to put tunnels but can't" <3 !!!
    But I don't think you need to release a patch trailer video each time you release a patch (especially if you go at that pace). :)

Gotta agree with this. If the patch video is slowing you down or becoming bothersome,. it is not very important.

Unles it is something simple like a video highlighting the changes.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it possible for you guys to fix the steam server browser?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »

Actuall it's allready working, filter map after "ns2" and wait some time ...
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Oh thanks. However, it refreshes extremely slow. I'm just speculating here, but could it be because you can't filter after 'game', so it has to search for all the games not just ns2?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts

Oh thanks. However, it refreshes extremely slow. I'm just speculating here, but could it be because you can't filter after 'game', so it has to search for all the games not just ns2?

10/10 points for you :D
    edited June 2014
    Then my question remains... Is it possible to fix it? :p
    edited June 2014

Not by us maybe valve could improve it by adding the right master server for the NS2 but don't think they will do so.

Not by us maybe valve could improve it by adding the right master server for the NS2 but don't think they will do so.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you have access to the Steam beta feature? This could be a great way to test NS2 builds before release.

Not for every release, of course - only when you think a certain fix or feature needs more scrutiny.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Do you have access to the Steam beta feature? This could be a great way to test NS2 builds before release.

Not for every release, of course - only when you think a certain fix or feature needs more scrutiny.

We do! I remember LuaJIT going up on the Steam beta, but I believe that was it.

One of the many lovely things about the CDT is that we can set our own deadlines - If we start working on a patch and some new feature is breaking everything, we have the freedom to now either delay that particular feature for the next build or to just delay the patch. We can push deadlines if things go wrong - So if we find some last minute bug we don't need to knowingly release it. We can stop the train and fix it. If we have something that we know will need extended testing time? We can plan ahead and schedule in that testing time. I'm sure that if we get to a situation where we need more users testing something, we'll consider utilizing it!

So yes, we have access to it and the potential to use it, but our PT team is totally the bee's knees ;)