Announcing the Community Development Team - Build 266 and possibly beyond?

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    NoW stuff will be moving in a good direction...
    Corrected. :p
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    i need to work on my baller-ass mod idea and get me a badge. fiendin for a badge over here.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I called it. I called it back in the 27 days thread!

That's awesome news, guys :D
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited May 2014
    dePARA wrote: »
    - get rid of the hacked >24 slot new player traps

Limiting options isn't the way to go. What should be done is similar to what TF2 does. If you attempt to join a server over X amount of people, you're given a quick warning "Game wasn't designed for this, low fps and server performance is very likely to occur blah blah" with a "OK" and a "Do not show again" button.
    The ideal and open minded solution.
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Does this mean someone can finally fix the dam workshop problem... lol
    Yes please, i've always wanted to see an alternative method of providing mods when Steam workshop servers fail to deliver (as they often do during Steam sales).

In regards to the news in this topic, i've been expecting this for a while, good luck guys.

I feel confident in the future of NS2 now, i hope you and the general community can keep NS2 alive for many years to come!
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Interesting, I was doing some profiling on NS2 this week end, and rebuilding luajit with some profiling tools to check why exactly NS2 is generating so many page faults. Now i have someone to pester with questions :P
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    If this end in:

it would be really awesome.

How about about we let people enjoy what they enjoy instead of being the fun police? It's not like we're consistently getting enough new players to fill those servers, so maybe some people enjoy the chaotic nature of high playercounts. The game should be running 32player servers just fine but that isn't happening anytime soon with the focus on the competitive experience and the netcode being as frail as it is.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If this end in:

it would be really awesome.

How about about we let people enjoy what they enjoy instead of being the fun police? It's not like we're consistently getting enough new players to fill those servers, so maybe some people enjoy the chaotic nature of high playercounts. The game should be running 32player servers just fine but that isn't happening anytime soon with the focus on the competitive experience and the netcode being as frail as it is.

Uh oh. Let's get b2t before this derails, ok?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    French news! http://ns2-fr.com/?p=news&i=233#
    Btw, the link for IronHorse twitter is wrong, it relinks to Zefram's twitter, just a detail.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Uh oh. Let's get b2t before this derails, ok?

Fine, I'll put away the pitchforks and torches.

I'm really glad to see the community be apart of the game development again, reminds me of the beta days where you could suggest something and if it was a good enough idea then it might have made it's way into the game. Mad props to the new community dev team for supporting the game we all love and thank you unknown worlds for being supportive to your community.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    @CCTEE Thank you.

Btw, does this mean we get proper gorge webs? Please give me proper gorge webs.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ISE, any chance you will do a raffle cast like Reddog? I will buy a copy of NS2 for you to give away (hell, its on sale now). Let me know if you are keen to do that.

Fantastic Idea, I've been ramping up my Shout casting of matches! With Reddog taking care of his red puppy I'd be more than happy to carry on his legacy :)!
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    xDragon wrote: »
    I think its important for people to remain realistic about this - While its a community team which gives much more flexibility in what can be done, its still people volunteering their time to make any updates at this point. While I suspect there are countless things that they would love to change or fix about the engine, I suspect that developments on that front will still be quite limited, at least initially. IMO fixing some of the 'big ticket' things right away isn't a requirement, just them showing the willingness to make consistent progress on updates/fixes.

Overall this opens a lot of interesting opportunities, I am interested to see what the team plans to do moving forward. However I think its also important to consider player counts, and I am somewhat curious if they have plans for that.

Yes folks, please have your expectations fully set, we're (at least most of us) are not professional game developers, but together we do have the necessary skills to potentially get stuff done. It's really about weaving all of those talents into a fluid workflow, so things will take some time to ramp up. From the excitement in this thread and inter-team, I can tell everyone wants to treat build 266 and beyond as our baby :)
    It's really about weaving all of those talents into a fluid workflow

I hope you have someone who manages this properly. You can lose so much efficiency with bad management.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    It's really about weaving all of those talents into a fluid workflow

I hope you have someone who manages this properly. You can lose so much efficiency with bad management.

While I have very limited experience with wasabi I can say obraxis generally runs a smooth operation so I wouldn't worry about efficiency. I'm already seeing a fair amount of checkins from multiple people so from an "inside yet still outside" POV things seem to be rockin. If that made any sense.......lol
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Even part community driven, this should make it more smooth and see more time investment.

Gratz to all, modders and uwe alike.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey it's been 1 day since the announcement.. Can I play Ns2 on my 486-dx100 (with turbo button pressed on of course) yet? No? WTF have you guys been doing?!? :)
    Like some of these ideas!
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    So if there's a push toward community development does that mean that the code is going to be open sourced (under whatever license)? How does one go about getting into the codebase and submitting code?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Darakian wrote: »
    So if there's a push toward community development does that mean that the code is going to be open sourced (under whatever license)? How does one go about getting into the codebase and submitting code?

Community development meaning certain volunteers from the community are granted access. NOT open source.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I have never seen more awesomes in one post...

Anyways, this is GREAT!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »

Anyways, this is GREAT!

I think this might be the record for awsomes on one post: 110 Awsomes
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132136/ns2oons/p1

P.S. GISP with the ONE agree
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

Anyways, this is GREAT!

I think this might be the record for awsomes on one post: 110 Awsomes
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132136/ns2oons/p1

P.S. GISP with the ONE agree
    @rantology and team. Battlegorge DLC similar akin to the picture? Eventually? Please?!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    Hey it's been 1 day since the announcement.. Can I play Ns2 on my 486-dx100 (with turbo button pressed on of course) yet? No? WTF have you guys been doing?!? :)
    Like some of these ideas!

I still have my 386-dx25 with 8meg ram in my parents garage... Its got a working 5-1/4" floppies :-), can't wait to install Steam and NS2 on it.

• simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    That being said most of the game already is open source. (...)

Is it really open source? If so, with what license does it ship?
    It was my understanding, that the source is just "accessible" for people that have the game.

@Whoever will have accesses to the jit - I'm also interested in that topic. Maybe write a little about the implementation or what you will be working on.
    Maybe even a small technical report? Is it based on the LuaJIT project?
  • NaRcONaRcO Madrid Join Date: 2005-03-07 Member: 44219Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    God bless NS2, UWE and this Community!! :)
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    simple_ wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »
    That being said most of the game already is open source. (...)

Is it really open source? If so, with what license does it ship?
    It was my understanding, that the source is just "accessible" for people that have the game.
    Last time I checked it wasn't open-source, but only source-available, yes.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I have a question.
    What are the protocol to elect some mod to be official ?

I'm not talking for me but for some mod that i think necessary. Like Name on minimap. Stuff like that. But i do understand some aren't interested some other would strongly disagree for this mod or that one. How would you / who, decide of that kind of things ?

You may want to review the posts about adding some functionalities to the editor and of fix the BUGs. Some i wrote some other from BeigeAlbert and others that will forgive me if i do not mention them right here.

If i have one and only advice to give: Good tools allow production of good work. The better the tools the better the work. So first thing first (right?).