Commander Badge Frustration

Comments

• B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tie it to hive skill so people will be warranted when they shout 'omg commander badge stack'

You know, if you command regularly, your hive score is totally messed up. Because you get no points for commanding, you end up with a score of 0 to 50 most of the time.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    If one was to go for multiple badges, I'd suggest tying them to one's total time commanding only. Win/loss rate is too dependant on other factors, and skill rating is still completely useless as an indicator of actual skill.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ^ Agree that w/l ratio is a bad way to determine commander skill.
    Really, it should be based on a) time spent commanding and b) total gameplay (overall knowledge of game flow makes a good comm past the point where you understand the GUI).

I would suggest that 10/20 hours of comming be required for every 300 or so hours of total gameplay in order for each tier of comm badge. So for gold you need at least 900 hours of total game time and 30 hours total time comming.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    CyberKun wrote: »
    The only thing I would say is that a Commander Badge requires a person to command at least an hour every two weeks to stay active. That is it.

This is the best idea so far... a commander badge should not be something that you get then have forever. In fact the presence of the badge has actually kept me from commanding. The last thing I want is a permanent badge that tells people "hey look, Mofo can command". (because not only am I really bad at comm, but it's boring as hell)

There were rare instances before the badge when I would comm... (mostly when seeding a server) but since the badge I stay away from the chair/hive as if it were the plague.

Also seperate badges for marine/alien comm are desperately needed.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What about Hours commanding AND/OR Total wins (not ratio), respective for each badge, again the amount can be adjusted, and anyone can get it eventually, after like 20-30 Wins, I suspect someone would be pretty good at commanding, if he got carried, then he doesn't learn anything and it will show in his performance.

I don't think the issue of "Oh that guy has a gold comm badge, screw that bronze badge noob" because I've seen plenty of commander badges now that don't feel like coming and give it up to someone who want to earn it, or a rookie who wants to give it a shot.

Just like the current badge, there will be a surge in people wanting to be commanders, of course they'll have to fight over the seat, but that issue hasn't changed since NS1.

If 3 tiers aren't enough, we could bump it up by 2 and draw parallels to SC2's PVP Leagues and name these badges accordingly as: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond.

An average player should be able to manage gold, while Rookie and Casual commanders could pull off Bronze and Silver Respectively. Platnium and Diamond would be those highly rare and coveted badges that will leave something for people to strive for.

Might appeal to closet comms out there :)
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    An average player should be able to manage gold, while Rookie and Casual commanders could pull off Bronze and Silver Respectively. Platnium and Diamond would be those highly rare and coveted badges that will leave something for people to strive for.

Are you trying to make the most complicated system possible? There is no good way to judge the skill of commanders, and attempting to add some insane system is not a good idea.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Let me boil it down for you...

It's an expansion on a system that already exists and has been coded in NS2.

Only thing that's being suggested here is adding more badges with incrementally increased requirements.

The current Commander Badge becomes Bronze, add in 2+4 more badges, that's it.

Doesn't need to be complicated, sorry if the discussion was too confusing.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hm, I'm not sure if I want commanders who only command to get some badge, but don't have real interest in commanding.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If we actually want people to become better at commanding, we need a badge for that you actually have to be good at commanding to get it. ISE's tier system is probably the best idea we have so far in this regard. (Maybe in a less extreme version, ofc)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I'd like to see Tiered Commander Badges, Bronze, Silver, Gold separated in marine and alien to denote experience commanding. Farmer's won't get that high as the requirements should increase not only by hours, but also Win/Loss Ratio.

Bronze = Replaces the current comm badge
    Silver = Modest amount of hours + 50% wins at comm
    Gold = x amount of hours + say 80%?

Again these would show the TSF logo and Alien logo respectively. So if you're an exceptional commander, you'd rock a Golden Khara and TSF Logo :D?

It will be worse. As the players see the golden badges they just won't jump in thinking the gold is better than them or it is their responsibility / role. And the stupid line that comes with it : "he's a good comm we will win".

While the game needs commanders, i would vote for the contrary. Ppl with no badge should have the priority.

Like this : if 45 second limit is passed a random no badge is selected and is automatically put in the chair. Despite the fun and lost game it won't be a waste of time:

-the game is over rapidly; yes, but it's not lost time as people play and aren't waiting.
    -The selected player will have to try and finally understand the commanding problems (inverted psychology - dunno the right expression in Aneglisch)
    -It will make him a better player in the field as he get the general idea (So maybe he comply to order ...better)
    -Maybe he will discover he has a talent for it.
    -Ppl will be a little more gentle with commander and especially rookies as "the selection fatality" can fall on them. In fact they probably will be more helpful than usual.
    -In the end everybody has no problem commanding as players evolved the right way, and every player will surely behave better than Genetically flawed Rambos.

The worse that can happen is bad games after bad games. But nothing force people to stay if it is too bad. The game are as good as the bond between players. All i'm thinking about is strengthen the bonds between teammates.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Locklear wrote: »
    Badge = skill

"Maybe" would be more accurate.

edited May 2014
    The worse that can happen is bad games after bad games. But nothing force people to stay if it is too bad. The game are as good as the bond between players. All i'm thinking about is strengthen the bonds between teammates.

I strongly disagree, bad games after bad make people not want to play the game at all, and possibly for the future of said player. What if this non-badge is a rookie? Then you really turn him off if he's most likely to be targeted as a forced commander.

I'm proposing the notion of encouragement and motivation with rewards to boot, while you're is fight or flight. Need I remind you this is a video game, no one should be forced to do anything they are not comfortable with.
    Ricez wrote: »
    People take hats badges way too seriously.

I fully agree, so why not use that as a driving force to get more people into the chair if they want the shineys? :)

If you really want to force some random non-badge/low-badge player to be made a comm, that's something that can be done on the Server-side mod (Shine already does the 45 seconds thing) and that could be expanded to support what I'm proposing here.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Steam Achievement: 100 hrs of winning as a comm in games with 12 players or more.

Problem solved B-)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Badges = love = commitment = higher possible skill
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I would just make the badge have ongoing requirements. (ie must have >15 hours of comming in the last 2 weeks)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Badge = skill

"Maybe" would be more accurate.

You should know better than to consider that a serious comment lol.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members

Like this : if 45 second limit is passed a random no badge is selected and is automatically put in the chair. Despite the fun and lost game it won't be a waste of time:

I'm sorry but this is without a doubt the worst thing they could possibly do... All you would get is people instantly hopping back out of the chair (or leaving the server and rejoining entirely if unable to leave the chair) - or even worse, troll commanders who recycle or waste all the res because they were forced into a role they don't want to play.

Starting a game with no commander after a set amount of time (like many servers already do) is a far better solution... Either someone who wants to learn and/or knows how jumps in, or the game is over quickly... either way it's a million times better than forcing someone into the chair/hive.

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Badge = skill
    Nono, its like this

1 badge = regret
    2 badge = gullible
    3 badge = needs therapy
    4 badge = no hope left for this person
    5 badge = god help us all
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Maybe at the end of the round you get a multiple choice question:

Rate your commander:
    1. He was great!
    2. I don't know.
    3. He was as useful as a waterproof towel.

:P
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    or we could make comming fun again
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Another game with a... badger commander. I honestly have no clue how people can get this badge and be so.... bad. Not just at the strategy as a commander, but no communication in any way.

Hate to say it... but so many bad commanders may leave me to combat (when its out). I'm sure you're all upset.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Bad commanders aren't that annoying...it's the bad commanders who THINK they are good and spend their time yelling/raging at their team.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    Maybe at the end of the round you get a multiple choice question:

Rate your commander:
    1. He was great!
    2. I don't know.
    3. He was as useful as a waterproof towel.

:P
    It's too bad about 95% of people are terrible at judging commanders and couldn't tell actually good commanding from someone being carried if their life depended on it.

It's actually very easy to determine if the commander is good.
    If we're winning then he's OK. If we're losing then he sucks.
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    I comm a lot of games, because i enjoy it most of the time (and have crappy fps) and that persons definiton of the different Pub players fits perfectly.

Me comming "Allright guys, don't all go the same wa....no! don't need that many people in skylights! someone go help *only listening player*!" everyone then procceds to die and lose both rt's then ask for second IP. *facepalm*

On the other hand, i've had a few really good games where people are listening "*insertname* can you go try save topo?" and they LISTEN and say "yep, ok" best kind of players.

I don't care if you fail or not, as long as you try. i'll often try to encourage the rookies too if they fail.

The people i hate the most? ones that are entitled bastards running off by themselves expecting medpacks when they run into a fade or something while i'm supporting a push

elsewhere "no meds com! *vote eject*" URGH. of course, those votes never succeed because everyone else is normal.

If they don't listen to me at all, and keep doing that^ i'll just mute them so i don't see their med request spam and/or hear them. (love that feature :D).
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    voting on a com's performance inst a good idea since a lot of the time a team won't listen. Having the name badges has made it a lot easier to direct people though. We've all blamed a com at some point.

I like the idea of tiered commander experience indication but with the top one requiring "topping up" or you lose it and drop a tier.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited May 2014

Khamming definitively needs love too, it is just so boring to play now, even with drifters. Drifters usage should bring fun, but right now they are so unwieldy to control and its turn speed is infuriatingly frustrating.

Draconis wrote: »
    Khamming definitively needs love too, it is just so boring to play now, even with drifters. Drifters usage should bring fun when , but right now they are so unwieldy to control and its turn speed is infuriatingly frustrating.
    I actually enjoy khamming, drifters are completely retarded to use, sure, but there are lots of creative ways to expand and protect your structures, timings for upgrades etc. Plus spamming muoucus / enzyme and making your skulks win every fight is pretty satisfying :P
    Just remember the alien khamm gets an AOE weld for skulks. That's fuckin' OP as shit man.

As for bad marine comms, there are plenty of them.
    Comms that only give orders to the ENTIRE TEAM because otherwise they feel like they might not be listened to?
    "
    EVERYONE THROUGH THE PHASE GATE
    EVERYONE SAVE THAT RT
    EVERYONE THROUGH THE PHASEGATE
    OMG WHY ARE THE RTS DYING YOU ALL SUCK
    "
    And comms that spam you an order and yell at you for not building an RT yet just as you're baiting a skulk out.

Goddamn I fucking hate those obstructive waypoint markers