Server details ... Unknown player

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Person8880 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure I know why it broke, and it's not an engine problem at all.

In build 263, the function NS2Gamerules:UpdateScores() was removed when the scoreboard networking was overhauled. That function was responsible for updating the Steam browser data as well as the scoreboard. This functionality was never replaced elsewhere, hence no more player info in Steam.

I just set up a listen server which calls Server.UpdatePlayerInfo() every second and sure enough I show up in the player list and there's no unknowns in sight.

Shine will be updated in the mean time to run this fix, which unless I've missed something, is all that was wrong.

Sir thank you lol ! Now let's do our modding dance. BTW @Samusdroid call me for the vanilla fix ;P
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Someone commented out

//NS2.working = true;

Wait... it's LUA, right?

would be
    --NS2.working = true

then.

Engine is c++.

In build 263, the function NS2Gamerules:UpdateScores() was removed when the scoreboard networking was overhauled. That function was responsible for updating the Steam browser data as well as the scoreboard. This functionality was never replaced elsewhere, hence no more player info in Steam.

I just set up a listen server which calls Server.UpdatePlayerInfo() every second and sure enough I show up in the player list and there's no unknowns in sight.

Shine will be updated in the mean time to run this fix, which unless I've missed something, is all that was wrong.

SAMUS!!! GET IN HERE!!! SOMETHING WONDERFUL IS HAPPENING!!!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014

Oh my god.

That's all I can say.

Oh. My. God.

Edit: I'm including the fix in NS2+ too. It only applies the fix if the server is not running Shine (since Shine already fixes this).
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Wow. That's why it's always good to challenge assumptions. :)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Give this Person8880 a medal.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Thanks for that @Person8880 :D It seems to work. This will be fixed in 266.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Give this Person8880 a medal.

He deserves one anyway as dev of shine .... But hey awarding modders thats another topic ...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I completely reverted all lua files to 262 and tested and it didn't work before I don't understand how that is possible.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I completely reverted all lua files to 262 and tested and it didn't work before I don't understand how that is possible.

Nanites...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Thank you, random stranger!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Obraxis wrote: »
    elodea wrote: »
    They care about ns2, just not enough to fix faults in their own product is the message.

I think you missed the news! We released a patch with lots of fixes to faults with the game recently. The unknown player bug is annoying I know - it's enemy number one in my book right now and hopefully we can get it fixed up in the future.
    Forum tigers obby, tigers...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This community, makin' the game better all the time.

Amazing find.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    That is what I am expecting from certain "other" persons...look what changed since the last build and deduce a reason why things break...dunno what to say.
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    All hail to the king! Thank you for fixing this pesky little bugger :D
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It makes me wonder how UWE failed to fix this for 2/3? patches in a row.

Thank you, again, NS2 community.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was close at least, glad it was found, bravo mysterious stranger!
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members

I wonder...
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    seriously...

this is hilarious.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2014
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I could get behind a Shine DLC. The (wo)man deserves something for what is probably the single most used mod, at least on the server side. Can you imagine ns2 without it?

A special Shiny Gorge skin seems like the must have "hat" to pair with that.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA can 't stop laughing right now. Top work, hard fix is hard.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is hilarious. People kept complaining how it was an, "engine problem" that could NOT be fixed and here we are. A bit underwhelming no?

Thank you for finding the fix, can resume stalking now!
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Amad wrote: »
    That is hilarious. People kept complaining how it was an, "engine problem" that could NOT be fixed and here we are. A bit underwhelming no?

Thank you for finding the fix, can resume stalking now!

Haha I remember reading this too. There was also a rumor about how a change with viewing players in CS:GO by Valve meant a fix was impossible.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    So in revamping the scoreboard networking, someone just ripped out the function that updates the player list for steam? Fucking derp, how does one miss this.

Edit: Didnt mean this to sound so negative, it is great we've got a fix for this at last! Now I wont have to open webadmin to see who's on the server :P
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The change was advertised with "much less traffic for the scoreboard". Updating Steam causes traffic, so maybe they wanted to have the amount of traffic low ;)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    someone just won himself all the cookies.