Server details ... Unknown player

BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Cmon .. fix this ..

I'm dumbfounded it didn't make it into last 2 patches .. seriously ..

Reminds me of an ad I saw for vans .. 'what does your van say about your company? *guy mimmicing a van starting up*cow cow cow cow cowboy! brummm bruuumm'
http://www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=1079&BID=54

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who you gonna call?!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That's the official samus emoticon in our internal chat room for a reason ^
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    But then again, that emoticon also accurately reflects how we feel about this bug.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Move to technical support?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Balmark wrote: »
    Cmon .. fix this ..

I'm dumbfounded it didn't make it into last 2 patches .. seriously ..

Reminds me of an ad I saw for vans .. 'what does your van say about your company? *guy mimmicing a van starting up*cow cow cow cow cowboy! brummm bruuumm'
    http://www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=1079&BID=54

Just so you know, this is an engine but, and one that's not likely to be fixed any time soon as they're not sure of the exact cause, and any devs with access to engine code are extremely busy with Subnautica.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    And while you are at it, please fix the 'phase into the very same room'-bug and the 'rifle butt kills are displayed as normal lmg kills'-bug :P *runsaway*
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited May 2014
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's nothing wrong with the list.. It's just every person in every server playing is called Unknown Player.. They are all trolling you.. Nothing to see here, move along.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Mysterious Player List" was omitted from the change log 2 builds ago. Working as intended.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Just add " worlds" to it and it's no longer a bug, it's a feature.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    my rifle jammed the other day, too
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Roobubba wrote: »
    my rifle jammed the other day, too
    As far as we have deduced so far the repro may as well involve ritual sacrifice to nameless, long forgotten deities. We need video of it happening to even start to have an idea of where to start having ideas.
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    If UWE devs are too busy to fix an engine bug, I'm a bit surprised the generous NS2 volunteer devs aren't given engine access to be able to locate and fix issues like these. This is one of those quality of life issues that irritates a large percentage of players every single time they play the game, so finding a way to get it fixed would be hugely appreciated.

As for the gun jam, I know that having a reliable repro is great for fixing a bug, but for bugs like this that appear to happen at random and haven't gotten reliable repro steps in at least a year, it's just not going to happen. Since it seems to be just limited to the LMG, rewriting relevant LMG code may be the way to go to try to avoid writing the same bug in again, assuming it's not a ton of complicated code. And if it is a ton of complicated code, that's probably the issue, anyway. :)

PS - SamusDroid, huge props for your work on the game. Massively appreciated.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    Fiskbit wrote: »
    If UWE devs are too busy to fix an engine bug, I'm a bit surprised the generous NS2 volunteer devs aren't given engine access to be able to locate and fix issues like these.

unfortunately this will never happen until UWE decides that the spark engine doesn't have any real further value to offer their company and open sources it (read: years if ever). only UWE devs are given access to engine code because it's the entire intellectual property of the game, it's the real product of the time they spent developing it. functionally, you would have to get every person you give it access to fully vetted and have them sign onerous non-disclosure agreements, effectively bringing them on as a contractor, and even then if they went and uploaded the engine codebase to thepiratebay there would never be any way to prove who it was and sue them.
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    No one would be able to legally use the engine code if it leaked and it's not immediately clear to me how it could be used in an adversarial way. That said, I do recognize that as a very real possibility, so sure.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    You don't need to open source it to give access to a developer, even if he does not have a contract.
    They totally could give access to the engine to someone outside of UWE.

Never say never :p
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Fiskbit wrote: »
    Since it seems to be just limited to the LMG, rewriting relevant LMG code may be the way to go

It's written the same way as all other weapons are written. If the problem was in the lua file for the weapon, it would occur with all other weapons too. From what we can tell it seems to be something relating to animations.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Just so you know, this is an engine but, and one that's not likely to be fixed any time soon as they're not sure of the exact cause, and any devs with access to engine code are extremely busy with Subnautica.
    Gibs wrote: »
    RisingSun wrote: »
    Again, thank you for continuing to help the game out even when the devs don't care anymore.

He is a part of the dev team. Also, just because the rest of the dev team is busy with other things does not in any way mean that they no longer care about NS2. Stop assuming things about people who you do not even know.

I'm confused...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Gibs wrote: »
    Again, thank you for continuing to help the game out even when the devs don't care anymore.

He is a part of the dev team. Also, just because the rest of the dev team is busy with other things does not in any way mean that they no longer care about NS2. Stop assuming things about people who you do not even know.

I'm confused...

To clarify for you:

The devs are busy.

The devs still care about ns2.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    They care about ns2, just not enough to fix faults in their own product is the message.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    elodea wrote: »
    They care about ns2, just not enough to fix faults in their own product is the message.

I think you missed the news! We released a patch with lots of fixes to faults with the game recently. The unknown player bug is annoying I know - it's enemy number one in my book right now and hopefully we can get it fixed up in the future.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    elodea wrote: »
    So like, where do i sign the petition to get samus engine access?

Best would be to also give him access to the code version of 3 builds ago ( as this issue was introduced 3 builds ago anyone with abit coding skills could track down the source of that issue by just looking at the changes ... )
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Someone commented out

//NS2.working = true;
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Someone commented out

//NS2.working = true;

I could fix that...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Someone commented out

//NS2.working = true;

Wait... it's LUA, right?

would be
    --NS2.working = true

then.