Medpacks are NOT optional

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    To be fair though, like CCTEE mentioned, server playercount is something to keep in mind. When you're doing some organised play (6vs6) it's certainly doable and very advisable to medpack single marines most of the time. But on servers where you have over 8-9 marines on the field, you have to choose a bit more which engagements to medpack, as medpacking everyone would drain your economy too much.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    By suicide I meant when a lone jp rine tries to take on alien hive...
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ultimately it comes down to balacing the cost and effectiveness of medpacks in order to med properly.
    Neoken wrote: »
    To be fair though, like CCTEE mentioned, server playercount is something to keep in mind. When you're doing some organised play (6vs6) it's certainly doable and very advisable to medpack single marines most of the time. But on servers where you have over 8-9 marines on the field, you have to choose a bit more which engagements to medpack, as medpacking everyone would drain your economy too much.

Even with 5 field players it may not make sense when 4 of them are just terrible at aiming.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    coolitic wrote: »
    By suicide I meant when a lone jp rine tries to take on alien hive...
    Well, by this point you should have most if not all important tech and upgrades. So what else are you supposed to spend res on? C'mon man.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm defiantly guilty of only medding the competent marines in a high player count server. If you're s keying at the sight of a skulk. Sorry man.

And yeah, the competent marines are nearly always the ones pushing harvesters. Probably by themselves as the rest of the team chills on a phase gate.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Pre-emptive medpack nagging. :)>-

I've been trying to learn to do this myself, by placing medpack-begging key somewhere comfy, but I haven't made it a habit yet. I love it when I'm comm and I see people predicting a Fade attack and asking for a medpack beforehand, it really ensures I can give 'em max chance to survive the encounter.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited March 2014
    Recently I had a commander announce at the very start of the game that he wasn't going to give out any medpacks for a while. That was fun..
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    I have medpack request bound to m1
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    Spend res on mass arcs. Pub style.

Ok, by suicidal I mean suicidal and pointless. I need to choose my words better lol.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Recently I had a commander announce at the very start of the game that he wasn't going to give out any medpacks for a while. That was fun..
    I once announced at the very start on 24p server that I am not giving ANY medpacks or ammo, as we are going to have uber fast jetpacks, and if you want any health or ammo, you should either go all the way back to base or just die and respawn. Almost got ejected after few minutes, but at 4:10 in the match we had jetpacks and a1, I beaconed everyone, told to get JPs anf GL, fly together to hive, and focus it so it goes down within seconds. That's when kickvote to kick me appeared, and it succeed when half the team that was listening entered hive room (for those who didn't pay attention to what I was saying and those who didn't check tech tree, it appeared that comm was giving zero support and then beaconed everyone for lulz, obvious troll, right). A friend of mine who was there told me that hive was dead and match won just seconds after I got kicked.

So, eh, what was the story for? Zero support for greater good can be viable, you just need people who listen and agree with you.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    I give med and ammo to people who are doing something/have done something useful..if I see you empty your wep0 clip into a harvester/cyst instead of knifing it....I will still drop you ammo, but you move down on the list of support requests.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    KungFuJV wrote: »
    I give med and ammo to people who are doing something/have done something useful..if I see you empty your wep0 clip into a harvester/cyst instead of knifing it....I will still drop you ammo, but you move down on the list of support requests.

I only axe harvesters if we are really low on res or I know we have poor comm who will probably not give me any ammo even for accomplishing important tasks. Shooting harvester is a) faster b) safer, as you can position yourself well and see any incoming threats. What's the cost of ammo? 1 tres. What is the cost of harvester? 8 tres. And don't forget, it takes time to grow new one, during that time aliens don't get tres and pres, aliens must get drifter and/or gorge to rebuild lost RT, so they will be busy there instead of being useful somewhere else. Or use echo, which is still twice the price of ammo.
    Pushing harvesters is one of the most important things to do. Damn, man, you gotta be happy that there are people on your team who are at least trying to reach enemy RTs.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    xen32 wrote: »
    I once announced at the very start on 24p server that I am not giving ANY medpacks or ammo, as we are going to have uber fast jetpacks, and if you want any health or ammo, you should either go all the way back to base or just die and respawn. Almost got ejected after few minutes, but at 4:10 in the match we had jetpacks and a1, I beaconed everyone, told to get JPs anf GL, fly together to hive, and focus it so it goes down within seconds. That's when kickvote to kick me appeared, and it succeed when half the team that was listening entered hive room (for those who didn't pay attention to what I was saying and those who didn't check tech tree, it appeared that comm was giving zero support and then beaconed everyone for lulz, obvious troll, right). A friend of mine who was there told me that hive was dead and match won just seconds after I got kicked.

So, eh, what was the story for? Zero support for greater good can be viable, you just need people who listen and agree with you.

People probably vote kicked because it's frustrating to play without meds and ammo
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I med drop on ppl that are parasited or just hurt a little, but are on an important objective. It lets the group know I am watching them and will look after them. So they won't be scared off by a few hydras. Time is of the essence, so hesitation on entering a room some times will mean that harvester didn't get taken out or Aliens are now entrenched in with reinforcements.
    edited March 2014
    MrPink wrote: »

People probably vote kicked because it's frustrating to play without meds and ammo

That was the plan, didn't you listen as well? 4 minute JP and GL rush. We even had armor by that time.
    I'm not even talking about part where plan worked even with half of the team.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

I wouldn't go as far as calling it viable, but rather a silly strat doomed to fail without massive amounts of luck. Nothing wrong with those every now and then, but it's nowhere close to the same ballpark as actual supporting when it comes to the viability of a tactic.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Medpacks at 10 health and while not getting attacked, usually good.

Medpacks at 70 health and while not being attacked, usually waste.

Medpacks on a bad player, ALWAYS waste.

Medpacks on a good player, most of the time VERY GUUD.

3 medpacks and 2 ammo on a single player at 70 health and 80% ammo not getting attacked, commander failure.

Medpacks while bad player is getting attacked by higher LF, ALWAYS waste.

Medpacks while good player is getting attacked by lerk, VERY GUUD.

Medpacks while good player is getting attacked by fade, usually good but more often than not, waste.

Accurate medpacks on the marine getting attacked within LOS of other marines, REALLY DAMN GUUD.

TL;DR - depends on the situation/players involved.

If a player is bad and out of LOS, medpacks will usually NOT help them be better and they will die without causing any additional or appreciable additional damage anyway. If it's a good player, yes, that may enable them to reload a mag or get off those last pistol shots that result in a dead lerk, so the payoff is VERY good. However, if it's a bad player, they won't even see the lerk coming to be able to even react to do any damage to speak of, so medpacks in that situation would be a total waste. There are many MANY situations where I wouldn't drop a medpack, because I think the res is better spent elsewhere, and I think it's very easy to become jaded with SO MANY bad players on pubs (especially green pubs) and just not bother with medpacks at all. I don't think 0 medpacks is the right approach (although I have experimented with it before, and I wouldn't write it off entirely), because it pisses too many people off in pubs and their pissy attitude whine kind of avalanches throughout the server, when treating individuals like the expendable and free unit they are actually wins games in the right circumstances sometimes... but I guess it's generally good to spend some reZ on your good players (if any).

Ammo - not optional when down to less than 1 mag or 8 shells.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There is essentially no difference between a 10 hp marine and a 85 hp marine. Both will die in 1 bite (with incoming para), and both are worth medding.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Roobubba wrote: »
    There is essentially no difference between a 10 hp marine and a 85 hp marine. Both will die in 1 bite (with incoming para), and both are worth medding.

idk in pub play there is a bit, as long as im above 75hp in pub I generally feel pretty safe. Those parasites aren't anywhere near as frequent as a comp game :p The amount of early game engagements I come out of with 10hp is silly.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Holding choke points its a better economy to drop an armory but initially med spam is not optional I agree. Ive often missed a med which I always apologize for when busy doing something else :-S
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    So much this.

Also, as long as a marine has any armour left, it's worth medding them to full health. Yeah he will still die in 2 bites, but you get the chance to save them by medding between the 1st and 2nd bite.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I don't usually find meds to be THAT useful myself. Probably just my playstyle/skillset, I'm pretty good at picking off approaching skulks but I'm terrible at surviving in a melee. By the time I would need a medpack I'm already reloading and there is little chance I will survive long enough to finish regardless. The only times I ever worry about getting medded are when I'm at 10 hp and need to keep pushing forward or late game when I already have a jp and can therefor extricate myself from melee to reload.

AMMO on the other hand is absolutely critical and I often find myself begging for it all game, rarely getting any when I need it.
  • ArkavusArkavus Join Date: 2013-01-26 Member: 182252Members
    This thread just boiled down to a Support Group for Neglected Marines.

There's snacks and refreshments in the corner :)

My name is Arkavus and I am addicted to commander support.

Seriously though, it can be hard to new commanders to keep up. Especially when a lot of people have short tempers about it. I won't command unless absolutely no one else will do it or if I'm in a very rare mood and even then I let everyone know that I am not great at it BUT, and this is the important part I think between good and bad bad commanders, I will try my best to address everyones requests and take advice. That is all I can really do as an unskilled commander so it even takes a bit of patience on both sides when stuff like this becomes a problem.
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would never say "hey guys, i'm a bad comm" right after jumping into the cc. Just go in and command, most people won't even notice that something wasn't perfect. As long it's not a huge mistake like dropping out of cc when a rush is incoming instead of beacon. ;)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Rule 1: Medpacks arent optional

Rule 2: Just because you're not getting medpacked, doesn't mean nobody isnt getting medpacked

Rule 3: If you dont get medpacked straight away, STFU, wait a few moments and then try again. The comm is trying to do something important.

Also, good player vs fade isnt worth medpacking? Are you srs? All the times I've 1v1 and had a fade run on me with less than 100hp. It depends on the individual engagement though. Sometimes it's easy to get a fade to miss half a dozen swipes :P
  • ArkavusArkavus Join Date: 2013-01-26 Member: 182252Members
    edited March 2014
    craZyfx wrote: »
    I would never say "hey guys, i'm a bad comm" right after jumping into the cc. Just go in and command, most people won't even notice that something wasn't perfect. As long it's not a huge mistake like dropping out of cc when a rush is incoming instead of beacon. ;)

lol I, of course, would never put it that bluntly but I agree that I should be more clear in how I present it as my intent is for it be taken as I do not have a huge ego about my commander skill and I am open to constructive feedback while playing. I've just found that on games I'm more open about my abilities I get yelled at significantly less.

I know I'm not absolutely terrible either though. I'm pretty sure I have a good idea on upgrades and what not to get when so I'll give myself a little credit there.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Rule 3: If you dont get medpacked straight away, STFU, wait a few moments and then try again. The comm is trying to do something important.
    The only exceptions in where you should never get a medkit within a minimum of 1sec delay between pressing your bind is:
    Commander is drastically medding someone else through a fight.
    Commander is out of the chair, killing that 1 Skulk that got through the lanes.
    He has no res/less than 2 RTs.

This is a huge issue in public games, where commanders are not fast enough. Please do not use the excuse of, "I was doing something else." it's, "I'm not experienced enough to respond fast enough.". This however, does not warrant yelling at the commander. I however am guilty of doing so, but only after asking for a medkit for 10s. It's rather frustrating.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Suggestion : Make PRES medpacks available ?