Medpacks are NOT optional

124»

Comments

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @Roobubba‌ exactly. He compared situational items in Dota to meds in NS2. That should give a little clue about how little he knows about this game.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I would be OK if the Comm had the option to on an "Automated Overwatch" toggle from the armory that would automatically dispense Med/Ammo upon marine request after a short delay (still costing Tres of course)

It could take some of the stress out of Marine Comm, and make it less damaging when a bad comm is in the chair.
    - Also, the ability to have it be toggled on/off allows the Comm to save res if they want.

Suggestions to not make it replace active medding:

Meds/Ammo only drop after a 5 sec delay
    - Prevents instant healing in fights

Meds/Ammo only drop at the location they were requested (or just not directly on the marine)
    - Prevents auto-meds healing during fights (somewhat)

Only 1 Med dropped per marine per cooldown
    - Prevents abuse from spamming med requests (100 med reqeusts in 5 sec is still only 1 med dropped once)

With proper limitations, it would act more like an out of combat resuply and maintain the value of the Comm actively and accurately medding

P.S. for the inevitable "But medding is half the skill of Comming, we cant make it easier!" response, it still is. This would just make Comming less stressful in public play (9-12 players to keep track of), as well as more enjoyable for the field players when there are bad Comms who can't/don't med at all
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    coolitic wrote: »
    @Therius, are you implying comp matches are very similar to pub matches?

I'm implying that saying "pub and comp are a different thing" is a lazy way of saying that you either can't bother or are unable to bring some actual evidence on the table. I'm also implying that medpacks are just as important in public and competitive matches, and that the most prominent factor here is higher player count, which still doesn't discourage the use of medpacks as much as you say. I'm also implying exactly what Roobubba said.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    @Nexus I was just using dota 2 items as a general representation of the word "situational".

Ok, I don't mind if some think I don't know what I'm talking about. Now, let's get back on topic eh?
  • snbsnb Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58499Members
    Necro because still relevant.

Hearing "no meds if you're on your own" while killing an enemy RT just makes me want to f-ing scream at this point.

How are you still this bad at the very basics of this game after hundreds or even thousands of hours?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    snb wrote: »
    Necro because still relevant.

Hearing "no meds if you're on your own" while killing an enemy RT just makes me want to f-ing scream at this point.

How are you still this bad at the very basics of this game after hundreds or even thousands of hours?

Yea. I totally understand the sentiment if somebody is just suiciding over and over without a purpose, but killing rez is VERY important.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    This thread is 2 years old :lol:
    but the topic is funny. i never get meds when pushing rts alone or killing lifeforms. the comms don't med people who are going alone.....
    but thats how pub is.... i hope the new commander tutorial can make them clear how importan medpacks are.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My usual rule of thumb is to med the marines until their magazine is empty.

If the marine is landing his shots, I will med him till his pistol is empty too, if not, I let him die. I rarely med marines long enough to reload in solo engagements. In team fights I will of course.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Oh thank god it's a necro... I saw this "new" thread with 67 "new" replies and thought "holy shit that's a lot of posts in one night" lol

There are only really two times I won't give meds or ammo..
    1) You're spamming the request too often and/or at times you don't need them (like in main right next to the armory.)
    2) You're one of only 2-3 uber godlike pro players in this community who can get 20-30+ kills per life without ever getting comm support.

#1 You don't deserve meds/ammo because your spamming is preventing me from doing other stuff.. These people usually get muted.
    #2 You don't need meds because even without them you're easily slaughtering lerks, fades, and even oni (with jp) in 1v1 encounters. (this also has the added benefit of making them ragequit, which leads to better chances of teams being balanced)

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    I think theres a time gradient in how much medpacks are important... my main experience is from pub, so i wont be mad if you scream my head off :D

In early game marine updates are more important than keeping each player alive, regardless of their skill/tactical position. Sure, if a lone wolf is hitting their secondary res i try to keep him alive, but if he's fighting N>1 skulks and I need res for the next update, I let him die.
    A MP may only cost one res, but the 50%now-50%later distribution of HP healed will need you to drop 2x as many if you want to make sure your soldier keeps pewpewpewing
  • barniebarnie Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220695Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    2) You're one of only 2-3 uber godlike pro players in this community who can get 20-30+ kills per life without ever getting comm support.

When they are not up against a total noob team then it is safe to assume they are cheating.
    You know, NS2 is not only they most moddable game on the market its also the easiest to create cheats for due to its open-source nature.
    [According to online multiplayer cheat forums]
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not the best commander. I get the job done without much complaint usually. One mistake I make is trying to med too much and forgetting to get upgrades.