CPU requirement

danhunt80254danhunt80254 London Join Date: 2014-01-17 Member: 193214Members
Hi I have heard this game is very CPU intensive. would it run fine with my processor.

Intel core 2 quad CPU 2.5Ghz

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I was running a Core2Duo at 3.2Ghz with everything on low, and getting from 30-50Fps. Upgraded to a i5-4670k and my FPS is now around 130-170fps, with a lot of settings on high. I have the same Gfx card as before.

I would say it is highly unlikely it would be playable for you, as you would likely be around the 20-40fps mark, and that is really unplayable.

• nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    don't waste your time. 3.0ghz at the very least.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    If you intend to run it on that CPU, better make sure your rig is properly cooled.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Nezz plz. I have a laptop, yes a laptop, i7-2630QM @ 2.0 GHz (2.6 Boost) Run at 720p. 90-140 fps. I prefer low settings for comp play but mine can handle AA, high textures and particles, and infestation on high. OP, just mess with the settings and you should be fine.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    @danhunt80254
    I see you asked about cpu performance before in your thread here. Soul_Rider is correct I believe in his assessment of what performance you could expect with that cpu and nezz is also correct in that you need 3.0 ghz dual core C2D at the very least. This will just give you to the minimum requirements though.

To get optimal performance you will need something more modern such as an intel lga1155 cpu or better. The cheapest modern set up I can think of would be an intel celeron g1620 2.7ghz which is $60 new here in the USA with the cheapest lga1155 motherboard. I am not saying you should upgrade to that but that it is the most minimal modern set up I know of. I happen to have a g1620 that I have played ns2 on and I get about 100fps with everything low with a amd 7870 gpu. I does have sever drops down to 50fps though during firefights.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Nezz plz. I have a laptop, yes a laptop, i7-2630QM @ 2.0 GHz (2.6 Boost)

@Nexus:

So you have a processor which is at least 2 generations newer, doing approximately 59% more work per cycle than his processor in single threaded tasks and about 79% faster in multi-threaded tasks. So if you want to compare, your processor would be the equivalent of him running at almost 4Ghz, lol, there is 0% chance of that chip reaching that level of work.

I think you need to understand the differences in processor generations before you try and judge purely by clockspeed:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/411/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-2630QM.html

Pros and Cons summary:

Core i7-2630QM

General recommendations:

Performs significantly better in all kinds of programs,
    Features SSE4.1 / SSE4.2 / AVX instructions,
    Integrates HD 3000 graphics,
    Needs less power

Drawbacks:
    None

Core 2 Quad Q6600

General recommendations:
    None

Drawbacks:
    Performs considerably worse in all program types,
    Lacks some instructions,
    Comes without integrated graphics,
    Significantly higher power,
    The socket is obsolete
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Hi I have heard this game is very CPU intensive. would it run fine with my processor.

My old gaming laptop has a
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.0
    Dual 9800m gtx gpus in sli

I can get around 60fps on low settings 720p res.

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Nezz plz. I have a laptop, yes a laptop, i7-2630QM @ 2.0 GHz (2.6 Boost)

@Nexus:

So you have a processor which is at least 2 generations newer, doing approximately 59% more work per cycle than his processor in single threaded tasks and about 79% faster in multi-threaded tasks. So if you want to compare, your processor would be the equivalent of him running at almost 4Ghz, lol, there is 0% chance of that chip reaching that level of work.

I think you need to understand the differences in processor generations before you try and judge purely by clockspeed:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/411/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-2630QM.html

Pros and Cons summary:

Core i7-2630QM

General recommendations:

Performs significantly better in all kinds of programs,
    Features SSE4.1 / SSE4.2 / AVX instructions,
    Integrates HD 3000 graphics,
    Needs less power

Drawbacks:
    None

Core 2 Quad Q6600

General recommendations:
    None

Drawbacks:
    Performs considerably worse in all program types,
    Lacks some instructions,
    Comes without integrated graphics,
    Significantly higher power,
    The socket is obsolete

Well, crap. @Soul_Rider, I guess I misread or misunderstood what he said in his OP. I mistook it for a new-ish quad core CPU rather than an older Q6600 or similar. I know the difference between clock speed, work per cycle, single vs multi-threaded tasks, etc. Just a derp interpretation by me.

@danhun80254 OC it for what it can and still maintain stability and hope for the best. Otherwise, consider upgrading. :(

• ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    joshhh wrote: »

My old gaming laptop has a
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.0
    Dual 9800m gtx gpus in sli

I can get around 60fps on low settings 720p res.

And that is an old one? That must have cost a fair penny :P

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's also dependent on the C2Q generation it is. what does it say in your computer properties (right click-> properties "my computer"). We're looking for the Qxxx number, there is a bit of performance difference between a Q6xxx, Q8xxx and Q9xxx generation.

In general these CPU's are old though, they will run NS2, but at minimum performance. Hence they are the absolute minimum requirement for this game.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    No, your CPU is insufficient to experience the game. Get an i5, 3rd generation or higher.
  • SupremeThroneXSupremeThroneX Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184093Members
    Im runnng a core 2 quad 2.4ghz OC 3.0 Ghz, 4 gigs of ddr2 ram, and an ATI radeon 5850. I can usually run about 60, 50 on a cluster F*** game. Just overclock it to 3.0 ghz and you will be good. I am running on lowest settings with a few things turned on. You can run on medium at a cool 50 - 60. Just gotta try things out. But this game is CPU intensive, massive difference when I upgraded from my old Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz. The quad core is just fine to play the game.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I ran it pretty well on a 2.8ghz athlon x2 5600+/gtx 460/6gb ram. Usually kept everything on low @ 1360x768 and fps could dip to as low as 20 during heavy firefights but it was definitely playable.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    From an FX x3 @ 2.6Ghz (550ti) to an FX x4 @ 3.6Ghz (550ti) helped a lot - the next up to a FX x4 4.2Ghz had ~ 1 (yes, o n e) fps difference. The 4.2 + a change from 550ti to 650ti boost (nice try on the 128 bit 650, Nvidia ... nice try ) doubled fps.

I'd say take a holistic view of upgrading, note that there are some console commands you can use [help for link/cli commands plz, elite people] to see if you Gfx is being bogged down.

Certainly, 5 years on the forums suggest an i5 @ 3.4Ghz or higher will do you well as an upgrade.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    After all the patches, I get 50-80 early game, 30-40 in a heavy late game fight on alien territory. Laptop i5 2.4 GHz.
    Textures high + high anisotropy, DX11, everything else is off most of the time.

It's playable for me now.

Also, my native resolution is 1366x768, but I play in 1280x600, because firstly, it improves FPS, and then in stretches marines (actually, everything) so they are more human-sized and not midgets (I feel that in most of the games, except for few titles).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I found base clock for the 3570k was still too crappy for fps for this game. Needed over 4.0ghz.
  • danhunt80254danhunt80254 London Join Date: 2014-01-17 Member: 193214Members
    OK this is probably a big ask but if anybody has a spare copy of the game they are willing to give away could they gift it on steam to me so I can try it out? I would obviously be happy to do the same afterwards if it did work to try and expand the player base.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    The basic point is that your CPU is insufficient (I'm speaking from personal experience) to fully enjoy the game. Even if you turn everything down and OC your CPU, 40-50fps isn't going to cut it, as that will drop to <20fps when any enemy comes near you. Plus don't forget that there'll be insanely long loading times which in itself is soul-crushing.
    OK this is probably a big ask but if anybody has a spare copy of the game they are willing to give away could they gift it on steam to me so I can try it out? I would obviously be happy to do the same afterwards if it did work to try and expand the player base.

Why does this sound like you think growing the player base by 1-2 people is a big favour? Lol, just wait 2 more weeks. Once the NS2WC is over there's a new build coming out and a very high chance of a Steam Sale or Humble Bundle event.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The game goes on sale like every 2 weeks so just be patient and pick it up for 5$.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    3.1 C2D here and it gives 40-50 fps in early combat, 30-40 in busy open areas and around 20fps in super late game combat, providing you aren't GPU limited (18-20 slot servers)
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I found base clock for the 3570k was still too crappy for fps for this game. Needed over 4.0ghz.

this game has higher requirements than Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. /lmfao
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Amb wrote: »

this game has higher requirements than Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. /lmfao

BF3/4 has the worst netcode. NS2s is actually spot on and was always good even at release when people were not used to such tight hitboxes and small targets.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    Desther wrote: »
    BF3/4 has the worst netcode. NS2s is actually spot on and was always good even at release when people were not used to such tight hitboxes and small targets.

and what does that have to do with CPU performance? Check out the CPU requirement for hosting ns2 servers, you need like 4.5ghz to host a 20+ player server. You can host a 64p BF4 server easy with that kind of ghz. It's funny how people are so quick to look past the facts and just sh!t on my post with disagree, spam, abuse.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Amb wrote: »
    Desther wrote: »

and what does that have to do with CPU performance? Check out the CPU requirement for hosting ns2 servers, you need like 4.5ghz to host a 20+ player server. You can host a 64p BF4 server easy with that kind of ghz. It's funny how people are so quick to look past the facts and just sh!t on my post with disagree, spam, abuse.

I disagreed with both you and gohstthree because it is not that bad. I used to play on a server that was a 3.8ghz phenom 965. That server had 20p and never lagged. Yes I know and recognize lag. I have incidentally also played on a phenom 965 @ 3.9ghz and it played just fine. Performance was obviously less than my 2500k but was far from unplayable like some make it out to be.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I am running 4.5GHz and it isnt enough for smooth gameplay :))
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    shonan wrote: »

The game will never play smoothly unless they change how the view portals for loading new map sections work. You could have the most bad ass computer on earth and even then the manual geometry portals for occlussion will bring your computer to a screeching halt when you round a corner.

I am not sure how this performance problem has been in the game for so long. It manifests on every computer you play the game on.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @dictator93
    The dreaded "WaitingOnBufferedFrames" hitching.. :(
    No bug i hate more than this one, currently.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2014
    a quad core @ 4.2ghz should run it pretty nicely -- if you're a super framerate freak then I'd say 4.6ghz

(this is for people who want like 160fps~)
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    I only want such high fps so that the game feels normal.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    shonan wrote: »

The game will never play smoothly unless they change how the view portals for loading new map sections work. You could have the most bad ass computer on earth and even then the manual geometry portals for occlussion will bring your computer to a screeching halt when you round a corner.

I am not sure how this performance problem has been in the game for so long. It manifests on every computer you play the game on.
    Actually I don't see that when I play, but I'll try to pay more attention in the future.
    Or maybe it is because of my i7-4930K @3.40GHz and GTX770?