specs and player numbers

danhunt80254danhunt80254 London Join Date: 2014-01-17 Member: 193214Members
I am thinking of buying this game and have 2 main questions.

1. How well does this game run with the recommended specs
2. How big is the player base?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014

1. Tbh okay but not superb, but that depends pretty much on the actual setup you use. To be on the safe side just post your specs.

2. 1k-3k are playing at the same time, so we are not that big but you'll allways find ppl to play with ;). Take a look here: http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/ (online server browser and perf analyzing page)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

1. most likely terribly
    2. depends on where you're at if you'll find a game or not. apparently australia is a barren wasteland.
  • danhunt80254danhunt80254 London Join Date: 2014-01-17 Member: 193214Members
    I have 4GB of RAM and a graphics card with 2GB that support shader 5.0 so that's not the problem I was just wondering if it would run with quadcore 2Ghz processer
    Also im living the the UK if that's helps about player numbers
    edited January 2014

i hear they got decent servers/communities over there... if you're ok sprechen die Deutsch... which I don't by the by. you'll get some feedback from people in that community. willkommen.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Quadcore 2ghz? Is that a laptop cpu? I'm not sure how well that will handle it.
    sorry a core 2 quadcore 2Ghz
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have 4GB of RAM and a graphics card with 2GB that support shader 5.0 so that's not the problem I was just wondering if it would run with quadcore 2Ghz processer

The game is very CPU greedy. But Ghz only doesn't tell anyone how good your CPU is anymore. If it is an old 2Ghz you may have low fps (and super long map loading times) If it is a newer CPU (not older than a year) you should be fine.

In Europe you should get a decent server at all times, except of very early in the morning (but even then you can get lucky)

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Please post exact specs ;) Every CPU/GPU is different.

About 2: The EU community will gladly welcome you, we have around i think 15-30 servers full most of the time.
    Even at 2 a.m. you still see around 2-5 servers up and ppl playing on them.

Also on most EU servers ppl speak perfectly understandable english (only the french stick to their own laguage, so avoid those)
    Just thinking is there any likelihood of a free weekend coming up as I would ideally like to try out this game before buying it
    Just thinking is there any likelihood of a free weekend coming up as I would ideally like to try out this game before buying it

a bit late to the party, it was at 1$ just 2-3 weeks ago.
    edited January 2014

Maybe around the world championship finals next month but don't think so as ns2 was allready in a humble bundle for 1+$.

If i would have one bundle key left i would gift it to you as you seems to be really interessted into the game.

Little tipp:

At tf2op.com copies of ns2 go for 2 tf2 keys.

You can buy these keys via steam community market (1,80 € each)

See here for ns2 offers: http://www.tf2outpost.com/search/184848612

BTW This is 100% safe and protected by valve.

Maybe around the world championship finals next month but don't think so as ns2 was allready in a humble bundle for 1+$.

If i would have one bundle key left i would gift it to you as you seems to be really interessted into the game.

Little tipp:

At tf2op.com copies of ns2 go for 2 tf2 keys.

You can buy these keys via steam community market (1,80 € each)

See here for ns2 offers: http://www.tf2outpost.com/search/184848612

BTW This is 100% safe and protected by valve.

wow, maybe i should just play more TF2 to get stuff to convert to keys to get keys to convert to other games... valve has created something truly ridiculous.
    edited January 2014
    dear lord... i just realized keys are probably worth more than cash... in terms of steam pricing... wtf?

... just checked, it is. enemy within is going for a key or two.... which is what, 5 dollars? and it's worth like... 30 dollars everywhere else.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    A core 2 quad at 2ghz is enough to run the game at low res and with everything possible turned off. You will get about 40fps at baseline and much less in battle. No matter how many hours you put in to the game, which does have a very steep learning curve indeed, you will struggle to get to the top of the scorecard -- for that you most definitely need more fps.

Player retention is troublesome but there are enough servers with a consistent player base to constitute something that can pass for a community.

If you want the game to look as intended you need at least 3ghz and 8gb ram.

Source: my personal experience. Now I get good KDs and get ~200 fps at all times.

Also, I don't know about free weekends coming up but those turn into gigantic noob fests where you will get a very skewed experience. The game was recently on humble bundle available for 25 cents.
    edited January 2014
    amoral wrote: »
    dear lord... i just realized keys are probably worth more than cash... in terms of steam pricing... wtf?

... just checked, it is. enemy within is going for a key or two.... which is what, 5 dollars? and it's worth like... 30 dollars everywhere else.

Now you know how i got most of my games tf2 idling and trading :P And if you wonder how thats possible steam sales and currency change rates. (those traders buy masses of each game at steam sale)

Now you know how i got most of my games tf2 idling and trading :P And if you wonder how thats possible steam sales and currency change rates. (those traders buy masses of each game at steam sale)

this is frankly retarded.
    edited January 2014
    I'm not gonna comment on that but after your logic all our modern finacial system are retarded and to some point i agree with you.
    TF2 items are just another investment market of digital goods and as long as ppl are willing to pay tousands of dollars for some hats im fine with it.
    I get games for free by doing nothing else than watching the tf2 market a bit. :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I wish I had your canny trading skills Ghoul, all my attempts at making money off TF2 fail miserably, haha.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    I have a Core i7 2630QM @ 2 GHz (2.6 Turbo Boost) (Yes, laptop)

I run NS2 at 720p with high textures, high infestation, and AA. Everything else off. Normal ranges from 150-70 fps. I don't think anyone would complain about that, unless they HAD TO HAVE 1080p. :P I can run 1080p decently but I prefer having the extra cushion of fps at 720p should something strange happen.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Danhunt80254 I'll make you a good deal: you add me as steam friend and i'll gift you a copy.
    If all works and you like NS2 enough (sure you will) you buy a copy and gift it to someone else (see for instance our generosity thread, stickied in general disc.).
    Good deal right?
    I'm not gonna comment on that but after your logic all our modern finacial system are retarded and to some point i agree with you.
    TF2 items are just another investment market of digital goods and as long as ppl are willing to pay tousands of dollars for some hats im fine with it.
    I get games for free by doing nothing else than watching the tf2 market a bit. :D

indeed, i'm going to try my hand, and hopefully never have to buy anything but keys ever again.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    apparently australia is a barren wasteland.

I very much disagree. It's quite the opposite.

• ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited January 2014
    The only time I tried to use TF2 for profit, I turned 6 MVM tickets into a pre-purchase of Borderlands 2 =) I got lucky with a Gold Botkiller Weapon upon completing a tour the day after MVM came out and people were paying stupid money for them back then. Don't imagine their worth much now though. At the time, just selling the guaranteed silver botkiller would more than pay for the MVM tickets to enter.