Beta Build 263 Now Available - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBeta Build 263 Now Available - Natural Selection 2

Shh, we have a secret for you. Just moments ago, a Steam Beta version of Build 263 was released. We are not promoting this release anywhere but here on the blog – Because we only want you, our most committed players, to find out about it. Build 263 has been gestating for quite some time. Hard work from Andi, Lukas, community volunteer Brian ‘SamusDroid,’ and many others has combined a produce an update that could change the way you play NS2. For the first time, there is an organised play option available in game. This system is not a ‘beta,’ and if you must use a term to describe it, ‘alpha’ might be generous. At the moment, it does …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Bump goes the comment thread! Just realised I should have added instructions on how to get the beta... Back to Wordpress I go!
  • co0kieco0kie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167349Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Cheers.

Increased weight of exclusive Female Marine Shadow badge taunt from 3% to 8%?? What's this?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    aaaaaaand the winner is Gather. :D
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    would have been nice to have another tab on the server browser with saying what game version it's running, or for incompatible servers to not be shown at all, for a beta release.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've had a Intel Update ready for this, should I wait for Actual Release to publish the video?
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Added ammo bars for the Marine Commander to nameplates
    Fixed power nodes not blinking red on minimap when being attacked
    Steam friends nameplates and minimap icons are now highlighted
    Added evolve last upgrades keybind
    Remove skill ranking from main menu
    Muting a player will now also mute voice requests (like need ammo / medpack)
    :x
  • Ball654Ball654 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172265Members
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wait, some of those updates read like you actually took feedback and implemented it :O

Okay, sorry, that was really mean.
    But that changelog reads great! I will try the Gather system as soon as possible! Good work!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sounds like a great patch! Thanks a lot for your continued efforts to make this awesomest of games even better.
    co0kie wrote: »
    Increased weight of exclusive Female Marine Shadow badge taunt from 3% to 8%?? What's this?

I guess it means instead of a 3% probability to play the badge taunt, there is now a 8% probability for it to be played. I was wondering the other day if they forgot to implement it after I taunted for about 1,5 mins without it coming up.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Added ammo bars for the Marine Commander to nameplates
    Steam friends nameplates and minimap icons are now highlighted
    Added evolve last upgrades keybind
    Key bindings can now be unbinded/cleared
    Inactive/unbuilt structures appear now in a darker color on the minimap

It's beautiful.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    There are now 11 gather servers online, with at least one in each official server region (Except Singapore, 2 x Aus servers are gathers now instead).

Have a go at creating games with each other, we are collecting stats on the back end to see if the system is functioning.

You can also create your own gather servers by adding the "gather_server" flag to serverconfig.json - Better documentation to come soon.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    System wrote: »

<3<3<3<3
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited February 2014
    Nice update, really appreciate the low light option, Steam friends nameplates, evolve last upgrades keybind and more characters in messages etc.

It would however be nice if we had figures to go with fixes like:
    Drastically reduced network traffic generated by scoreboard updates

Currently my server eats through well over 23gb upload a day (600gb+) a month which is pretty insane for one server, i'd be interested to know how much of that is scoreboard related :P

Will keep an eye on bandwidth once new update is global.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Hugh wrote: »
    There are now 11 gather servers online, with at least one in each official server region (Except Singapore, 2 x Aus servers are gathers now instead).

Have a go at creating games with each other, we are collecting stats on the back end to see if the system is functioning.

You can also create your own gather servers by adding the "gather_server" flag to serverconfig.json - Better documentation to come soon.

Just to add on to that: do please try to break it. Just let us know how you broke it after it breaks. :D

We don't have anywhere near the number of testers to appropriately stress test the system so we've only had fairly small-scale testing to date.

Also, bear in mind that it's very much a work in progress, and the feature set and especially the interface design is absolutely bare-bones. The interface will be completely redone (@rantology is working on it right now!) and if people like the system you can expect lots of neat feature updates to come!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    wow, this seems like one of the best updates since LuaJit!

Makes me sad I'm at work today :(
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Anyone have any before/after startup time comparisons (using a standard HDD)?
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    wow, so many great fixes. Awesome work guys!
  • UterusUterus Norway Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189230Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If you participate in the beta, can you go back to build 262 easily?
  • MvpMvp Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187157Members
    Any news on Mac OS X support? ~1.5 years of waiting for what was promised...
    Uterus wrote: »
    If you participate in the beta, can you go back to build 262 easily?

Yes, see the article for details. You can deselect the beta option.
    Mvp wrote: »
    Any news on Mac OS X support? ~1.5 years of waiting for what was promised...

There are currently no defined plans to bring NS2 to OSX, and no development time scheduled for that task. I am sorry, I know many people were keen to play NS2 on Mac.

• SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Server queuing seems to be broken in this build, it just attempts to join and says Server Full.
  • MvpMvp Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187157Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    There are currently no defined plans to bring NS2 to OSX, and no development time scheduled for that task. I am sorry, I know many people were keen to play NS2 on Mac.

That's unfortunate considering it was promised a long time ago, and now there's Linux support so it shouldn't be too hard to bring it to OS X.

Is there any chance you would open up the process of doing the port to hobbyists? I'd be interested in contributing.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    No balancing? I guess it's for the best as I would prefer rare balance changes than many major ones.
  • a090913a090913 Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188056Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you, i love you UWE :-bd
  • Infinity_XInfinity_X USA Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190195Members
    edited February 2014
    Golden wrote: »
    Skulks actually making noise when traveling at the speed of light is a pretty big balance change.

Haha, this got a good chuckle out of me at work. I had heard someone mention that it's quieter to wall jump... but I never realized it was a bug. In retrospect, yes, skulks moving at the speed of light should make some sort of noise. I'm no realism pusher, but it would be an interesting mental exercise to try to explain a whole mass of creature reappropriating its momentum in one focused contact using very bony limbs.

Edit: Also, thrilled about this patch. Loved the ammo view for the commander's nameplates. Looking forward to beta-ing up as soon as I have some time.
  • UterusUterus Norway Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189230Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The shade cloak looks really weird and kind of reminds me of ice
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited February 2014
  • vvrovvro Portugal Join Date: 2013-10-29 Member: 188862Members
    edited February 2014