Beta Build 263 Now Available - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    xDragon wrote: »
    No, but the NSL maps will 'live on' as I believe Mendasp will export their lighting which is what his CHUD will use as the 'lowlights' option, in place of the default.

woot!
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    james888 wrote: »
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Is there anyway to switch between the beta and current version without downloading the 300mb file and then the 100mb file to go back, then 300mb again if you want to go back to the beta? Kind of a PITA.
    Why would there be? That 300mb file is the beta. You kind of need it.

No shit you need it, but why do I need to download the same file over and over? if I want to try the beta, I have to download the 300mb file, then if I want to play a normal game, I have to opt out of the beta and download a 100mb file. Then if I want to mess around with the beta again I have to download the 300mb file again, then the 100mb file again to go back. Rinse and repeat.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    joshhh wrote: »
    No, but the NSL maps will 'live on' as I believe Mendasp will export their lighting which is what his CHUD will use as the 'lowlights' option, in place of the default.

woot!

Just test it yourself CHUD was allready updated ;)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to switch between the beta and current version without downloading the 300mb file and then the 100mb file to go back, then 300mb again if you want to go back to the beta? Kind of a PITA.
    Why would there be? That 300mb file is the beta. You kind of need it.

No shit you need it, but why do I need to download the same file over and over? if I want to try the beta, I have to download the 300mb file, then if I want to play a normal game, I have to opt out of the beta and download a 100mb file. Then if I want to mess around with the beta again I have to download the 300mb file again, then the 100mb file again to go back. Rinse and repeat.

Easy solution: Download the Beta, copy paste all files into a folder NS2 Beta, make a shortcut to the ns2.exe in NS2 Beta, Download the normal version. Now you have both versions :D
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

woot!

Mendasp updates that sh!t so often, I can't keep up with all the new features. :O Hero Mendasp.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mvp wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @Mvp Can I link you to this quote from 2007 [...]

The Wikipedia article says this:
    In October 2009, Unknown Worlds confirmed plans to support Mac OS X, Linux platforms and perhaps console.[12] However, in February 2010, Max McGuire announced that OS X, Linux, and Xbox support would not be available at the game's initial launch. It was also revealed that Natural Selection amassed over $200,000 in pre-orders and $500,000 through angel investors.[13]

Unfortunately the page that it links to has been deleted, probably because they wanted to cover their tracks so they could fuck over their OS X users. I remember it clearly being stated on and before release that it would run on OS X. I only bought it because of that. Once it was released, I thought that paying for it even though it didn't have OS X support yet would still be supporting them in developing it. I've even offered to contribute in the port, but they still won't fulfill their promises.

@Mvp Or because based on the nature of wikis that info was wrong and removed. No OSX get over it.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    2cough wrote: »
    System wrote: »
    Muting a player will now also mute voice requests (like need ammo / medpack)

<3<3<3<3

Would it be bad form to point out this was added to the Better NS2 mod over a year ago? :P
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester

Man, 300mb is sooo large...
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    For some people it is,
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When is this going to ship stable?

I'd like to play this, but there is no players.
  • MvpMvp Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187157Members
    @Mvp Or because based on the nature of wikis that info was wrong and removed. No OSX get over it.

Apparently you didn't read that, because Wikipedia still has that citation. What was deleted was the referenced page itself, which is from the NS2 website under a Q&A session that they ran in 2009. None of the other articles that it cites are gone, which leads me to believe that they deleted this article because they didn't want it known that they confirmed OS X support and didn't ship it.

No, I'm not going to get over it. This is an otherwise great game being developed by incompetent developers who are liars. I want to be able to play it without rebooting, and I want what was promised to me. I am both willing to pay more for OS X support, and I will contribute to the port if they let me.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members

woot!

Mendasp updates that sh!t so often, I can't keep up with all the new features. :O Hero Mendasp.

Hell, he updates it before we even think he would update it.
    Am I crazy or do the new low lighting graphic setting carry over when you opt out of the beta and go back to the public build?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

Yeah, copy the ns2 folder from steam/steamapps/natural selection 2 into another folder on you computer and name it ns262 or ns263beta, whichever you are currently on, then make the change and do the same again.

You can then either directly link them through a desktop shortcut to run as a game, or you can just copy them back into the folder above and rename as needed.

To be honest, you probably only need the LUA files, but best to be sure and take the whole ns2 folder.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2014

So now in options we'll have a median between low lights and regular lights - improves performance, but doesn't take away too much visual fidelity

BUT if we wish, we can use an extra CHUD mod which will make vanilla maps run the NSL lights - largest performance over visual boost

Is that correct?

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    @Mvp Dude get over it. This is your 6th post crying about it (after every new patch). If you can't: Buy the Game Director Badge a couple of times and force them to port it.
    Btw noone but maybe you ever ever really believed the game was going to be ported to MacOS. It could have maybe happened when at the end of the NS2 release the Mac world had an actual gaming community. But no it still consists of the same narcissistic Apple evangelists. Go back to Angry Birds or whatever game got ported out of pity and too much sparetime.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2014

Apparently you didn't read that, because Wikipedia still has that citation. What was deleted was the referenced page itself, which is from the NS2 website under a Q&A session that they ran in 2009. None of the other articles that it cites are gone, which leads me to believe that they deleted this article because they didn't want it known that they confirmed OS X support and didn't ship it.

No, I'm not going to get over it. This is an otherwise great game being developed by incompetent developers who are liars. I want to be able to play it without rebooting, and I want what was promised to me. I am both willing to pay more for OS X support, and I will contribute to the port if they let me.
    1st: Nothing got deleted, stop being such a hard tongue and get your facts straight.
    2nd: They never promised to get NS2 on Mac, they said they would prioritize it over Linux if they could, that's all, and no it was never a promise.

Thanks. Goodbye.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited February 2014
    Hehe. What a lol fest, "I paid for something in a non perfectly competitive market without perfect information" - just like every other real world transaction that has ever been enacted.

Plus - if you brought a MAC to play games on, well, duh. You're lucky if the silly things come with a two button mouse.

Edit: Damn, _INTER_ wins the sharpest/most cutting reply-to-the-angry-guy-post post.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »

So now in options we'll have a median between low lights and regular lights - improves performance, but doesn't take away too much visual fidelity

BUT if we wish, we can use an extra CHUD mod which will make vanilla maps run the NSL lights - largest performance over visual boost

Is that correct?

YES.

CHUD will allow you to use the NSL lights which got better performance overall.

*they should add chud into the vanilla game* xD
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Aioros wrote: »

Is that correct?

YES.

This doesn't make much sense to me, why not just have the in-game option do the same thing this mod will achieve, anyway thanks for the info I'll be installing the mod when the build comes out
    edited February 2014

Is that correct?

YES.

This doesn't make much sense to me, why not just have the in-game option do the same thing this mod will achieve, anyway thanks for the info I'll be installing the mod when the build comes out

Probably because it provides an advantage over the default lighting. It makes spotting and tracking targets easier. But it's not like people can't just jack up their brightness and contrast to achieve a similar effect without the FPS boost.

I also agree with Aioros, chud should be in the official build, it's very nice.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2014

Is that correct?

YES.

Well, the NSL lights look like absolute crap since the only purpose of them was to improve performance, the official lowlights are a middle term between performance and looks (obviously favoring looks over bigger performance increases, as it still has to look decent). The option in CHUD is also added in part so we can depend less on the NSL maps (less stuff to download/maintain) and still be able to get the same effect on the vanilla maps...

And remember that CHUD works on both 262 and 263 beta, the only difference is in 263 you have the low lights switch since the maps support it. It's in some public servers already, it gives CHOICE™ on how you want your game to look! Tons of options! It also tracks your accuracy (a bit crappy at the moment as it can only track marine stuff well, but I'm almost done working on an improved, more accurate version).

PS: Workshop link
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2014

@MVp Well if you want a reason why it is more important to improve the game for windows (which is already slowing down) than spend time/money on porting to OSx:
    1_zpsb5d46d62.jpg

only 3.47% of steam users who replied to the hw survey have OSX. So sorry if UWE isn't giving what was "promised" to "you"
  • rubiklukerubikluke Join Date: 2013-12-30 Member: 191123Members
    How does one host a server on the beta build? Probably just missing something obvious, my friend is trying to host a Linux server on the build, any help would be appreciated :D
    edited February 2014
    rubikluke wrote: »
    How does one host a server on the beta build? Probably just missing something obvious, my friend is trying to host a Linux server on the build, any help would be appreciated :D

Download server software via steamcmd with
    app_update 4940 -beta beta validate

;)
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    actually, it should not be on the map test build.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132380

just when updating: app_update 4940 -beta beta validate that should get you beta files via steam cmd
    Confused wrote: »
    actually, it should not be on the map test build.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132380

just when updating: app_update 4940 -beta beta validate that should get you beta files via steam cmd

Yeah i allready thought about that a min after posting, sry
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Added MouseWheelUp and MouseWheelDown as separate keys to bind
    pants got tighter