Beta Build 263 Now Available - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• MazzaMazza Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75194Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Any news regarding about Out of Memory issues on Linux Kernels 3.12 and above?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mazza wrote: »
    Any news regarding about Out of Memory issues on Linux Kernels 3.12 and above?
    Fixed out of memory condition on Linux Kernel 3.12
    Read the changelog B-)
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was there a ninja update within the 263 beta? When I tried the Gather UI for the first time, it looked quite different from what it looks now. If not, then the UI initialization code is moody :P

Regarding the gather feature itself... it's hard to tell whether it's useful as there are not enough people in the beta at a given time. I think releasing it as part of the standard build is the only way to find out... maybe mark it as "experimental" in-game, like the bot feature when it was new?

Some observations:
    • Once the gather starts, it seems that the gather "room" is deleted. Is that how it's meant to be when finished? Not sure, but I would have expected it to remain open - for latecomers or replacement players, maybe? Or spectators, if enabled?
    • Polling frequency: When you are in a gather room, but keep playing on another server, the room stats are queried in the background every 5 seconds. Don't know how much of a performance hit that brings, but it sounds quite frequent.
    • When creating a gather, a console error is logged (setPassword... not implemented). At least once, creating the room failed.
    • Sometimes, the gather screen background starts white.

Also played a full game of 263 as alien, didn't notice any new bugs. (I noticed Whips sometimes not attacking at close quarters, but then I was told it's the same in 262) Low lighting option gives me a ~10fps boost with DX11. Love the new features and the changes to Docking.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Was there a ninja update within the 263 beta? When I tried the Gather UI for the first time, it looked quite different from what it looks now. If not, then the UI initialization code is moody :P

That's a reflection of the primary advantage with the system being used on the backend. It's all a web interface imbedded in the game using awesomium. That means any time we want to change or fix something we don't have to push a code update - @AceDude just makes the changes to the web stuff and no one needs to download anything!
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited February 2014
    Mvp wrote: »
    @Mvp Or because based on the nature of wikis that info was wrong and removed. No OSX get over it.

Apparently you didn't read that, because Wikipedia still has that citation. What was deleted was the referenced page itself, which is from the NS2 website under a Q&A session that they ran in 2009. None of the other articles that it cites are gone, which leads me to believe that they deleted this article because they didn't want it known that they confirmed OS X support and didn't ship it.

No, I'm not going to get over it. This is an otherwise great game being developed by incompetent developers who are liars. I want to be able to play it without rebooting, and I want what was promised to me. I am both willing to pay more for OS X support, and I will contribute to the port if they let me.

Yeah, you got screwed. Sometimes life does that. Complaining on the forums certainly isnt going to fix that, nor is it going to convince anyone reading the build release thread (a very biased sample, to say the least) of the fact. Arguing here just makes you look whiny and bitter.

Im glad theyre working on matchmaking, though the community might not be big enough for it to reliably work?
  • None_the_reaverNone_the_reaver czech republic Join Date: 2014-02-15 Member: 194037Members
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/1xz4v8/hello_guys_i_screwed_up_my_settings/
    for all who have problems in start of game
    C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\system_option.xml
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Friendly reminder: if you opted in to the beta, make sure you opt back out now that the patch is released. The game will still let you connect to 263 servers if you're in the beta (as they're both technically "build 263"), but you'll get consistency errors for obvious reasons.