ns2_nothing Dev/Release Thread

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2014 in Mapping
Hi everyone,

Over the three weeks I had off over Christmas, I spent countless hours bringing an old beauty back to life in NS2........today i present to you ns2_nothing.

I managed to import the original level from NS1 into Spark, then I spent many many hours removing useless brush based geometry. The map is a 1:1 scale of the original.

At the moment I'm sitting at about 87% completion before I will post the level up for testing. However I do have a few screenshots to tease :)

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220935709

Original NS1 Overview
51gPAFq.jpg

NS2 Nothing Overview
m8K20i6.jpg

Previews
YPYReLH.jpg
f57eEgo.jpg
b9zpEiL.jpg
JNpRXLz.jpg

Here is a breakdown of what rooms are done:

2cIKkNZ.png

So post up what you think. Suggestions, ideas, criticism, just let it fly.

Also in the next few days I'm looking to obtain your input on making one of the last rooms. I'm stuck for inspiration so I'm looking for ideas :) The room is docking wing and has a converyor belt running from Miasma Walkway. I will post some screenshots up soon of what I have done to give you an idea on the direction.

p.s Points to the first people who can guess the rooms in the screenshots :)

- Kal

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Wow, very good stuff. I can't wait to give it a try, I loved ns_nothing, and this looks great.

I have to ask, how did you import the old map into Spark? What tools did you use? I'd be very interested to know :D
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Looks good, third time lucky for ns2_nothing I suppose.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'd say you may want to have some testing happen before you detail too much. There was another remake of ns_nothing, which I personally didn't really enjoy due to the changes done to balance the map for NS2 (changes are probably necessary, but should at least reference the original somehow.), so I hope yours does a better job. :D

Some of the screenshots show some big flat surfaces, and could do with some finer detailing. Does 100% done on a room mean you feel it's complete, or are you planning further detail passes?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    http://i.imgur.com/b9zpEiL.jpg this pic brought me back to 2006 or when that concept video of dynamic infestation was released...not sure why. Cant wait to try this map.

How did you deal with the elevators?
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I have to ask, how did you import the old map into Spark? What tools did you use? I'd be very interested to know :D

- First I used a BSP to vmf converter (e.g http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=30).
    - Opened up the vmf in hammer
    - Selected absolutely everything, opened up a new level in hammer and pasted all the brushwork back in.
    - Opened the .vmf in spark

I will put together a step by step guide on it and post a new thread up because I think a few people might want to know this. The key point was copying all of the brushwork into a brand new .vmf file because otherwise spark will crash everytime.
    I'd say you may want to have some testing happen before you detail too much. There was another remake of ns_nothing, which I personally didn't really enjoy due to the changes done to balance the map for NS2 (changes are probably necessary, but should at least reference the original somehow.), so I hope yours does a better job. :D

Some of the screenshots show some big flat surfaces, and could do with some finer detailing. Does 100% done on a room mean you feel it's complete, or are you planning further detail passes?

Yep will do. The progress I'm showing so far is up to the point where I want people to start testing it out for gameplay, bugs, etc so I can modify it accordingly. I know it will still be a long way off even after that point.

Regarding flat surfaces, yeah I agreee. I've been meaning to fix the floor in the first screenshot for a while. However I'm waiting until I've completed the other rooms first before I come back and detail it further.
    current1y wrote: »
    How did you deal with the elevators?

Unfortunately given the current entities with standard NS2, there will be no elevators. I've had to bring the entire map up to the same level.

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Going from generator room, down elevator with NS2's PvE is going to be a nightmare. Also how are you handling elevators in this game, didn't think they worked? Also sewers hive has alot of ladders that will need to be changed to ramps
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Unfortunately given the current entities with standard NS2, there will be no elevators. I've had to bring the entire map up to the same level.
    At least reference the height changes by putting in some more subtle ramps/stairs. :\
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Very happy to see a new version of this going, so sad to see old ghost threads on abandoned nothings!

I for one will appreciate all your hard work when it's finally playable :D
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    anyone played it yet?
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited January 2014
    Hey, thanks for Nothing! :)

Aww just joking, good job on this remake and good luck with further tuning.

Edit: As for NS1 map conversion, also Mem's BSP viewer is quite handy, it alows to save BSP as a .map which Spark can read, but the resulting mesh is very bad though.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    anyone played it yet?

Nope not yet.

Vwn1xj3.jpg
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    some of the screenshots look already pretty awesome, definitely a map im looking forward playing. good memories with marines relocating to gen room and aliens trying to prevent that with OCs on the catwalk above :)

what you should be careful about is marine start being so turtle friendly from what i can tell (also PS and viaduct are very open). so like others already mentioned it, have it tested before adding too much detail. would be a shame when you had to redo certain rooms / corridors because of bad balance.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Really looking forward to playing this map. I used to love the atmosphere the map had in NS1.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeh, i think even without the big drops and climbs i'm sure the map will still own!
    Do any pub servers have it on rotation alrdy?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
  • KarmicJusticeKarmicJustice Join Date: 2013-11-29 Member: 189628Members
    My favorite NS1 map, can't wait!
    Ok guys and girls, today I will make a few more changes and then I will post it up on Steam Workshop for people to start playing around with (in about 6-12 hours).

Sewlek wrote: »
    what you should be careful about is marine start being so turtle friendly from what i can tell (also PS and viaduct are very open). so like others already mentioned it, have it tested before adding too much detail. would be a shame when you had to redo certain rooms / corridors because of bad balance.

Yeah it's a problem I think will exist with most of the tech points. I suspect I will have to maybe put in more vents / change entry points.

edited January 2014
    Ok time to go get it :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220935709

Please rate it up in the workshop if you like it.
  • DrNoDrNo Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58489Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The vent to redroom is blocked by part of viaduct hive.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited January 2014
    Loving it so far. First priority should be to seal up the handful of areas that lead to the void and allow access to outside the map (especially the large ones). Nothing fancy needed, just a quick brush to cover them up. Then we can play a game without somebody exploiting :D
    @DrNo Thanks for that. Yeah I noticed that yesterday as well. Rotating the hive doesn't fix it so i will have to play around with that particular vent.

@aeroripper Yeah agreed. I managed to have a few rounds last night however some people kept falling out hahah

I also need to add the hurt triggers back in for Foreboding and Silo water.
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kalopsia said - First I used a BSP to vmf converter (e.g http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=30).
    - Opened up the vmf in hammer
    - Selected absolutely everything, opened up a new level in hammer and pasted all the brushwork back in.
    - Opened the .vmf in spark

I will put together a step by step guide on it and post a new thread up because I think a few people might want to know this. The key point was copying all of the brushwork into a brand new .vmf file because otherwise spark will crash everytime.

Please post your hammer options settings as to how you get the .vmt files to show up. Your game config and the other settings in the option list. What version of hammer are you using. Please be as precise as you can, Thanks
    Map has been updated on Steam Workshop:

- Added power node to Viaduct Access West
    - Removed large holes to prevent access to outside world
    - Adjusted vent going from Viaduct to Red Room to prevent the hive blocking access
    - Ongoing maintenance removing small holes in the map.
    - Adjusted pathing in communications and Ventilation to prevent ARCs riding the wall.
    - Adjusted Occlusion outside Cargo
    - Added CommanderInvisible group to Viaduct
    - Removed high wall in Pipe Room from Commander View.
    - Added cavity in Threshold to provide more cover.
    - Added steam jet to Threshold
    - Fixed holes in Ready Room
    - Added hurt triggers into Silo water and Foreboding pit.
    - Removed res node from Docking
    - Adjusted Occlusion behind Viaduct hive
    - Fixed ceiling in Silo Access South so aliens could fit between pipes and ceiling
    - Raised ceiling in Intimidation to allow Alien access above pipes
    - Removed holes from Silo Access North
    - Finished Silo Access North
    - Lowered vent in Ominous to prevent line of sight from hallway

@prevertmaximus I will make a seperate thread on the exact import guide I used so people can easily find it in the future.

• ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah we had a few good rounds on it yesterday. Was glad to see the server fill up.

Also received a lot of good feedback for changes and improvements.
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This is my favorite map from all of NS... I'm currently re-installing NS2 because of this, which servers have this map in their rotation?
    Map has been updated on Steam Workshop.

- Completed Docking Station
    - Added vent between Marine Start and Painted Corridor
    - Updated pathing
    - Modified occlusions

09XOtj5.jpg

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Obraxis You are the YOclanoverlord right? Can we have this on the server pretty pls?!